RegisterDonateLogin

The possibility of successfully navigating this site is approximately 3,720 to one.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Oct. 16th - Event at Big Larry's Comic Book Cafe - Leonardtown, MD! Options
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, October 2, 2010 1:19:22 PM
Groups: Member

October 16th Star Wars Minis Event!

Where: Big Larry's Comic Book Cafe
22745 Washington Street
Leonardtown, MD 20650
(http://www.aardvarkreturns.com/)
When: October 16th, 12pm start (Store opens at 12)
Format: Two Tournaments, four 45-minute rounds each.
Tournament 1: "You have failed me for the last time, Commander."
Special Rules: 150 points - No Commander Effects! You can use Commanders, but their CEs will not be in play. Standard Map list, with custom maps allowed upon request. (Basically if you want to use a custom map, just show me what map you want to use, and I'll make sure it looks good)
Tournament 2: The Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall
200-point Tournament. Characters in your squad must ALL cost at least 35 points. No Reserves, No Reinforcements, and your characters must still cost 35 even after figuring in Rapport.
Cost of Attendance: $3

Our first event went pretty well, so we decided we'd take another crack at it! I've yet to determine what we'll be doing, so that's open for input from anyone who wants to attend. Also, I was wondering if people wanted to move the start time back a little bit, so you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to come down to our store.

Let me know any ideas you have for the Tournament, and we'll discuss!
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:30:47 AM

I may be able to come this time around, and could just possibly bring a few friends!

I would be happy to keep the start time where its at; that's just more time to hang around fellow Star Wars Miniatures players.
Demosthenes
Posted: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:35:58 AM

Awesome! We had the PA-MD Regional winner at our last tournament, so having the NJ Regional Winner this tournament will be great, lol. Maybe I could get both of you to come to this tourney and you could duke it out. =P
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:45:21 AM

Demosthenes wrote:
Awesome! We had the PA-MD Regional winner at our last tournament, so having the NJ Regional Winner this tournament will be great, lol. Maybe I could get both of you to come to this tourney and you could duke it out. =P

Woot
Minkzx
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 11:48:26 AM

I wish we could have a teleport to go to minis, We could go to the tournament, then go home after...
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:23:04 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

You mean October 16th? Also, I may be able to convince the women folk to join as well.
Demosthenes
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:38:04 PM

Yeah I already told Antigone about it and she seemed interested. Hopefully we can drag Laura along too, lol.
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 12:28:14 AM

Do we have prize support arranged? Because I can donate a cool custom mini as a trophy.
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 1:40:22 AM

Our store owner has Dark Times boosters at a severely discounted price for us to use for prize support. Depending on how many people come, we can get quite a few boosters. But feel free to bring the custom too, if you'd like!

Tournament information has been updated!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 8:25:02 AM

I actually have something scheduled with our group already, so sadly we will not be in attendance. It sounds like you have a good start to a bigger crowd than the last time, so say hello to everyone for me...oh, and did Big Larry hear the show where we pimped his store?
Demosthenes
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:34:22 PM

I told him that the store was mentioned on SHNN, I'll see if I can get him to listen to the episode. =)

Second Tournament has been decided upon, so now we're all set for tomorrow's tournament. Look forward to seeing you all there! If you need my cell number to make sure you find the place okay, just BM me and I'll give it to you.
thalaric
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 12:26:57 AM

Sadly I won't be able to make it due to homecoming, but depending on scheduling of the next event it might be worth the drive out to play.
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 2:25:41 AM

We're probably looking at a Nov. 6th date for the next tourney, but I gotta check that with my group. Can't do it next weekend since my fiancee is doing an event on campus that weekend, and the weekend of the 30th I'll be in DC at the Rally to Restore Sanity. Will get back to everyone about our next event. =)
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 9:14:25 AM

Make sure to bring your spares to trade!

And anybody up for RPG afterwards, perhaps?
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 11:52:53 AM

I've never played RPG, but I'd be interested in at least seeing a demo. =)
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 10:30:10 AM

So I have to share this one thing that happened in one of my matches in the "No Commander Effect" tournament.

My squad:
54 Kyle Katarn, JBM
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
29 Ganner
10 Luke, FS
9 Uggie Demo x3
3 Mouse Droid

(150 points, 8 activations)

I went up against Aaron who was running Yobuck / Cad Bane, and filler. We were playing on Peaceful City. In the first round I set up defensively on one side with Mara and Kyle blocking the corridor whereby Yobuck could tear into the rest of my squad. This ended up being pretty key. At the end of Round 1, Yobuck ran up and smacked Mara and Kyle. Mara attempted to Block and failed, taking 20 damage. Kyle Riposted and hit Yobuck for 20 damage (the most important part of this scenario, lol). At the end of the round, Yobuck is adjacent to both Mara and Kyle.

Round 2: I win initiative, and Lightsaber Assault with Mara. First roll is a 16: hit for 30. Second roll is a 20 - YES! Hit for 40. Second roll is a 19 - YES! Crit again with Deadly, 40 damage. Fourth roll is a 17, and I take out Yobuck. We both kinda just looked at it in disbelief, seeing as Yobuck did a total of 40 damage before getting nerfed.

After that, I had to chase down Cad Bane, which proved a lot more difficult than I thought as Aaron was towing Cad with R2 Astromech Droid. Cad ends up putting a world of hurt on Kyle and killing him, and I have to risk Mara by levitating her within 8 of Cad. Mara has to use a FP for movement to base Cad and R2, and takes twin on R2. She misses one attack, so R2 is still in the mix. End of the round.

We both know that this initiative will decide the game. If he wins, Cad puts 80 on Mara and runs away, and Mara doesn't get her Cunning. If I win, it's over for Cad. So, I make Aaron roll first to see what my fate will be. He rolls a 17 for Initiative. ARGH! I was sure I was doomed. With an exasperated sigh, I roll my die, and what do I see staring up at me?

I had just rolled a 20 for initiative. Mara LS Assaults, and Cad goes down. It's cleanup duty after that. It was a tense game, and the dice gods were certainly with me for this one!
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:25:07 AM

Yes, but Aaron laughed last because after you left, he pulled A'Sharad Hett LOL
General Ed
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:06:11 PM

That sounded like a fun filled tournament. Sorry I had to miss out. Maybe next time. We here in PA wound up having to few to play a game so Jim just went to the store and played Arcane Legions instead. I was told I couldn't play that day by my fiancee. Congrats on another successful event, though!