RegisterDonateLogin

Allies within 6 squares gain Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rebels versus Walker! Options
Desslok
Posted: Friday, November 5, 2010 3:03:15 PM
Groups: Member

Since I had found a lucky score on Craigslist for a ton of old SW miniatures - Rebel Storm, Clone strike and so on - stuff that I didn’t have, Yesterday me and Brad take the Star Wars Minis game out for a spin. With a whole bunch of new cool characters, we decided to go with a slightly higher Squad Point total that usual (200 points) and play a thematic game - the Battle of Hoth.

So my friend Brad digs through all my rebel figures, pulling out Hoth Han, Luke Unleashed, Hoth Leia, Chewie, General Rekan, Wedge, and some generic Hoth Mooks to round out the roster. As he picked and sorted, he noticed that I had not started digging into the Imperial box yet. "Oh, don't worry - my squad will be a breeze to get together!"

Being nice, I decided to let him set up his guys first on the more open Hoth map that came with the Hoth Battle Pack set that I'd picked up a month or so back. And so he spread his figures about, getting everyone behind the emplacements and otherwise entrenched. Then I reached under the table and pulled out my squad - well, my one unit: the ginormous AT-AT.

Yup, in the Sweet Deal was included one massively huge Imperial Walker. And the look on his face with this foot tall monster appeared at the far end of the map was precious!

Wining the opening initiative, Luke Unleashed ran forward to close the distance and try and take advantage of that whole "Damage resistance doesn’t apply to Lightsabers" clause in the walker's text. And then the walker went - opening fire on farm boy with the Heavy Blasters. Both shots landed, inflicting 120 points of damage, blowing Skywalker back to hell.

(And somewhere, Vader force chokes an admiral)

Realizing that my walker would make a move pretty much straight up the middle, Brad split his forces to the left and right, opening fire and hoping to score a critical hit and get more damage. His rebel Mooks approached - only to get stepped on! While the guns did fair damage, they only hit about half the time. Meanwhile the Walker Tap Dance was plowing through mooks left and right!

While the slaughter was going on, Chewie moves forward to engage - banking on the rend and momentum abilities to get some damage through. Brad wasn’t expecting my walker to move diagonally, squishing Chewie flat. It's not wise to upset a walker.

Slowly working my way diagonally to the right side of the map, Leia and Wedge found themselves pinned between the long side of my walker and the crevasse behind them. When both of their attacks were largely negligible, I moved diagonal right one more square. Leia, she failed her save and was stepped on. Wedge made his, however - unfortunately the rules say that the figure that rolled out of the way of the massive feet is placed on the map right next to the base - in this case, Wedge leap into the crevasse to avoid getting trampled and plunged to his death!

I never did manage to pick off Solo, who had moved around behind the walker and out of firing range. But with little resistance left, I put the peddle to the metal and advanced on the shield generator. BOOM! One victory for the empire and Hoth was secure. . . .
yuuzhanvonghunter
Posted: Sunday, November 7, 2010 5:43:29 AM

Good play report! That sounded like it was very fun!
jedispyder
Posted: Sunday, November 7, 2010 6:14:26 AM

Sweet report! Sounds like it was a lot of fun ^_^
Minkzx
Posted: Sunday, November 7, 2010 12:53:31 PM

Man...
That AT-AT was like Chuck Norris out there!
General Ed
Posted: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:40:08 AM

I love that play report. Not often the AT-AT is used it seems. Just one thing. Even though Wedge was forced into a pit square he should have had a save against the pit. He would just be in the nearest square to the pit and AT-AT to where he was pushed.