RegisterDonateLogin

Always keep refrigerated. In carbonite.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Trek Fleet Captains Options
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:37:55 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Wizkids has released info on their plans for Star Trek. The first one is kind of meh, to me. Not too interested in an away team game.

But this...
http://wizkidsgames.com/startrek/star-trek-fleet-captains/

blast it. I loved Armada, so I can easily see myself getting into this. Only way this can get better is if they announce expansions with other species ships. The ships are a huge selling point. So much potential for expansions.

And prep for Starship Battles conversions...

EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:12:12 AM
Groups: Member

Yep, I'll definitely be getting that. I can only hope that the Romulans and Cardassians make appearances in expansions shorty after the release (Those were my favorite factions in the old Decipher CCG).
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:28:46 AM

Good news, it sounds like the Romulans would be the first expansion.

Also read up a bit. It sounds fun. Some exploration elements, with some space combat as well.
Rikalonius
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:53:41 PM

I'm the opposite. The ship battles are Meh, to me. I'll get these miniatures just so I can use them with my d20 custom cards. I wish 3D printing wasn't so expensive, I'd make my own miniatures, but alas.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:57:45 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Definitely sounds pretty sweet. It will give me something to look forward to around Christmas this year.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:13:11 AM

Looks interesting. I love the Decipher Star Trek CCG game (I still play it), and I like the whole aspect of away teams. Ship battles/exploration will be cool if its done right since it will bring me back to the good time when I played Birth of the Federation. Man I love that game!
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:41:53 PM

Rules are up. Looks fun. Perfect for expansion. Might actually be worth the $100 cost (so nabbing online).

Not the best rulebook, but I got it about halfway through.
http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/fleet/star-trek-fleet-rulebook-highres.pdf

Edit: Just got to an intersting part. Expect: TRIBBLES!!!!!
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:07:31 AM

I got mine today. I am very, very impressed with the starship models, even if they are unpainted. They are larger than I thought, and very detailed. Very happy with my purchase, bring on the Romulans and Borg!
juice man
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:39:38 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Definitely sounds pretty sweet. It will give me something to look forward to around Christmas this year.

Hey Huk if you do get this I'll play it with you. (might even look into getting it myself, pending morre reports by Sithborg)
qvos
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:24:35 PM

juice man wrote:
imyurhukaberry wrote:

Hey Huk if you do get this I'll play it with you. (might even look into getting it myself, pending morre reports by Sithborg)

It does sound pretty cool!
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:54:50 PM

It's not perfect. The rulebook is organized terribley, even if the rules are very fun.

I've had a few issues with a few of the pieces. A few of the new clix dials were tough to turn, but loosened up after I got them turned. I still have two that are really stuck, but if comes down to it, I can just use the cards. There were also 2 ships that apparently did not have enough glue on the base where it attaches to the clix base. Nothing major, some glue will fix that easily.

The pictures did not prepare me on the scale. The ships are a bit bigger than I expected, which is nice, even if unpainted. And the quality of the minis are amazing. I did not expect so much detail.

I will try to get a few solo games in, but it is pretty neat with how the board is set up and revealed (Klingons were put on the disadvantage when they discovered a black hole).

I can easily see this expanded. The Romulans are needed, since the Feds are Science heavy and Klingons Battle ready, the Romulans will finish the trifecta of missions as being Influence heavy.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:49:05 PM

Hey SB, updates?
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:38:40 PM

I haven't really had much time to play with the game. I still really like the rules and how the game plays out.

I did find out that it appears that I got fairly pristine copy. I only had one ship come off the base, like the glue wasn't perfect, but I've been reading horror stories about other copies. It does sound like it was a new factory, as Wizkids has mentioned getting a new factory for the Expeditions expansions.

There is a lot of complaints about the actual component quality. I think they are blowing it a bit too much out of proportion. I don't mind the more card like location tiles. The harder plastic is a bit more fragile, but you get better detail, and dear god, if you thought bent ligtsabers were bad with SWM style plastic, just apply that to fairly small nacelles. I only had a few pieces I had to work on to get the new style clix bases to work (which I really like when they work).

No expanions announced for this game, though they seem to be "doubling down" on their investment, with a more traditional style Clix game to be released next year, using the same sculpts (but painted). I honestly would expect an announcement of the Romulan expansion sometime early next year, they did announce the Expeditions expansion fairly quickly.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:18:24 AM

Romulan expansion seems to be on it's way.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:06:18 AM

@sithborg,
I might have to pick this one up, especially if the romulans are in it!
I can only hope that the Reman warbird Scimitar is a ship...
How do the vehicles scale to the Galoob/Micromachines ships from the 90s? If theyre close, i might be able to convert a couple... BigGrin
I picked up a Sovereign-class single, and a Nebula-class single... it begins haha.

I'll probably give the clix rules a miss in favor of the GOBS rules instead though.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:11:26 AM

It's been a while since I've seen the Star Trek Micromachines, but I'm pretty certain they are bigger.

Remember Fleet Captains is different than the actual Clix game. Tactics actually uses the Heroclix rules, and have completely different dials. I've been tempted to pick up some of the Tactics stuff just for painted minis, since the dials aren't 100% necessary (can just use the card that comes with it).

I think the Scimitar is a reasonable guess. They will try to get as many Romulan ships they can, since they will be reused in a Tactics.
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:53:34 PM

Just played my first game of Fleet Captains!

GREAT game. ThumbsUp Absolutely gets the feel of Star Trek across, imo. So many elemnts add to that but I think these are the main ones;

1) Exploration. The way you have to actually go to a location to flip the card over and see what's there (or scan it if you have a free action). Also, the way that you don't move far across the board in one turn so things remain unexplored for a while (There were probably 10 or so tokens left after my 4 hour, three person game). The (usually less than 50%) chance of triggering an Encounter with a random event (like Temporal Loop or Conditional Friendship with an alien race) is really great and true to the essence of Star Trek. I also like that the Encounters come in a wide variety of severity levels, and some even help you, even besides getting VP for completing them.

2) Missions and VP, rather than just fighing each other. You don't have to rely on your missions, either-there are multiple ways to get VP: building Starbases, defeating enemy ships, completing Encounters successfully, and probably at least one that I've forgotten. Some missions were almost absurdly hard (Have 6 cloak tokens in play at once, including sensor echoes-and I was the Federation!) but they are easily cyclable for a new mission, some are really cool (Rescue an away team from a planet that your opponent's discovered, and probably under the opponent's control).

3) The ability to adjust the power levels to different ship systems (but only once per turn), often requiring hard choices. Do I give myself high Weapons to make sure I deal damage on my attack, or high Shields to make sure I survive the enemy's?

The ship minis are also very, very detailed and great-looking. Like Sithborg, I will be slowly getting painted Tactics minis to replace these unpainted ones and using the cards for stats (which might be easier anyway with a die, it's a little annoying to have to keep checking the bases by picking up the minis and then replacing them), but the minis look good even without paint. (The two painted I already have-Voyager and the Equinox. Guess which series I like the most? BigGrin ). My first game was actually a three player game with the Romulans; I went the whole way and bought the Romulan Expansion with the game.

All my ships were in perfect shape and the cards seemed reasonably thick, so I think that Wizkids has definitely refined their production for the game. One or two dials were tough to turn but they loosened up fast.

The game felt a little bit like DS9 at one point- a stable wormhole was discvoered linking a point roughly in the middle of the map, but closer to the Feds (played by me) and Klingons and well within their territory. Voyager went through, to beam a Romulan Saboteur to a Romulan scout ship on the other end. However, on the Romulan turn their player sent his two newly arrived warbirds (Hazara sp and the Tarix sp) to destoy Voyager. High shields prevented them from dealing a death blow but Voyager was put on Red Alert, only one damage from being spread all over the system! Scared On my turn Voyager came running back through the wrmhole, with the Defiant arrivng at the wormhole to help Voyager in case of a Romulan attack through the wormhole. I managed to convince the Klingon player to stop our conflict (the Bortas and the Kronos One had the Excelsior trappped in a Class 1 nebula and were pounding it). As I put it "You can kil the Excelsior, at the cost of damage to the Kronos One, and then the Defiant and Voyager will head into the nebula [the wormhole entrance was adjacent] and mess up your ships. Every ship we have, save the damaged Ch'Tang and the Equinox [both back near our respective command posts building Starbases], will be annihilated. The Romulan ships will come through the wormhole, and they will have free reign for at leaast two turns before our reinforcements get here. The Equinox and the Ch'Tang will be no match for them. Instead, we need to stop fighting and get rready to repel the Romulan invasion." We did just that, and my ships (save the Defiant) limped back to my new Starbase while the Bortas and Kronos One went to meet the Romulans, who were at this point sneaking along one edge of the map towards us, head on. The Kronos One was lost (and the Bortas nearly so before its retreat) but the Romulans had been slowed-they needed to build an outpost in the system to repair one ship, which was at red alert, and as a Class-D planet that took a while. Substitute Dominion for Romulans and change a few details and that's DS9's storyline right there. BigGrin

No encounters with Tribbles yet, sadly.

I REALLY want more expansions. My biggest hopes are the Borg and the Ferengi (an odd priority, but I think they would be loads of fun in a game like this). Cardassians, Maquis, Dominion and maybe even the Hirogen (some could be in the Alpha Quadrant, it's conceivable. The whole Delta Quadrant is littered with ways to go faster. Tongue ).
I'd also like a supplementary expansion for the existing factions- Tactics set 2 introduced a few new goodies for the Feds (Original NCC-1701 Enterprise and the Ent-D, the Fearless) and I also think the Vulcan ships (from ENT) could be put into the Federation force as well. I'd also really want the Scimitar and the NX-01 Enterprise (Seriously, it's one of the main ships!).
Re-Rulebook I actually found the rulebook was organised pretty well and very clear. One read through and I only had to check it something like 4 times during the 4-hour game. (Fleet Cappies dosen't usually play that long but the other players were slow learners. Tongue ).
@koba, I'm sorry to report that the Scimitar is not a part of the Romulan expansion. Crying I was hoping for that as well. The Valdore ("You'll owe me a Romulan ale") is, though, so at least you can get your Nemesis action on somewhat. (I actually liked that movie, aside from the unexplained and anachronistic dune buggy chase and Picard's action hero-dom. Two phaser rifles? Really? The dude's at least 70!).

@Sithborg That's funny that the Klingons in your game were hurt by finding a black hole, same thing happened to the Klingon's player in my game. First mve of the game, she leaves her command post and walks straight into a lack hole. Stuck there for 2 turns, finally gets out only to end up in a particle fountain (might be off on the name, deals 1 damage if you end there and you have to complete a level 10 sensors test to escape. Like a weaker black hole) and got destroyed! LOL

Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:00:32 PM

Good news is, based on the Heroclix Tactics II set, Dominion is definately heavily favored for the next expansion. All three Jem'hadar ships, Cardassion ships, and Breen are in it.
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:05:33 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Good news is, based on the Heroclix Tactics II set, Dominion is definately heavily favored for the next expansion. All three Jem'hadar ships, Cardassion ships, and Breen are in it.

I was thinking that. Weyoun's ship will probably get in, too. I'd love an independent Cardassian faction but this is the next best thing.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:16:44 PM

I do want the Dominion and Borg, but I also hope they do smaller expansions. Plenty more Enterprises to make. Though the alternate cards for the two ships in the Romulan expansion was a good idea.