RegisterDonateLogin

Available at your local Tosche Station (in the Power Converter aisle).

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Some questions about playing on Vassel Options
K4ot1K
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 4:29:58 AM
Groups: Member

I have Vassel all set up, but have not played a single game on there yet. I have 1 question and 1 concern. Question: My personal feelings are that you shouldn't play anything on Vassel that you don't actually own. I figure it's the same as trying to walk into a room and play using figures you don't have. Am I the only one that see it this way?
My concern is people patience. Being that I have not played on vassel. Do most people on there understand it will take a game or two to get the hang of it, or am I going to get blacklisted as a noob for not knowing everything yet?

Thanks for the replys.
qvos
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 4:51:38 AM

Most people on Vassal are pretty patient and willing to help out. Most are willing to let you know about all the pretty cool tools to use on Vassal. As far as only playing what you own, that's up to you, but don't expect most others to follow your thinking. After all, some us Vassal for fun, others use it to playtest competitive squads for gencon, perhaps seeing ifi
Its worth it to go ahead and purchase the needed pieces for competitive play. After all, there is no better test then an even playing field when either playing for fun or getting ready for serious competition. No sense being judgemental. Have fun playing in a forum where you can play great competition from all over the world. If you insist on playing only pieces you own, not only will you be hurting yourself but others might not want to play with you. That said, As Obiwan says, you must do what you feel is right. Welcome to Vassal!
K4ot1K
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 7:32:18 AM

Thank you, qvos.
I would just be playing for fun, so I don't need to play test anything. This is a "for fun" hobby. Like Magic TG, I don't take it serious. I know others do. I just don't have time to learn every characters stats and what goes good with what. I just want to play for fun. Hopefully I can get on there and find some others like me. I love to watch the "pro" matches, just not interested in the effort needed to play that way.

I appreciate the info and advice.
creme_brule
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 9:27:34 AM

While no one has really memorized all SWMinis' stats, it is helpful to memorize some staple figures in each faction (ex: GEn Grevious Droid Army Commander, rieekan, some of the vaders/lukes, general obi wan kenobi, etc). Knowing commonly used figures will allow more insight into opponent's squads, and not make you look like a noob (no offense meant). Of course, the more games you play the easier it should be to remember their stats b/c you face them so much! Just my two cents. Happy playing!
qvos
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 1:31:17 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off in an arrogant way. Oftentimes I prefer a noncompetiive game so I can try out some fun squads which oftentimes get crushed going against some of the tough squads. Im sure both creme broule and myself would be willing to play different teams ob Vassal. Just bloomail one of us. For me Wednesday nights are best. I've been really busy lately though but would like to get back on Vassal. I myself have all the 99% of all minis. Whenever I have guys over to play, they use my minis. That's the only way I could get them to play. Thats the only way I can teach new ones to play because most don't want to invest all the money I have invested in a game. But I can honestly say I love running all the factions except the Rebels because they are very easy to win with and its not always fun for for newer players to get beat by the Rebel squads. Anyway. Sorry if I offended you.
K4ot1K
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 3:44:38 PM

No, you didn't offend me. At 38yr old, 15 yr in the military and 3 combat tours, that is nearly impossible, lol. I have about 20% of the entire collection. I love playing (when I can find someone or get a chance). The thing that turned me off to Magic a little, was the constant "play testing" of insain decks and that people loved to rub it in your face that you didn't know every freakin card by heart. I love playing games, but I have a life and job and family. And those take up the majority of my time. I just don't have the time or desire to memorize every figure. Thats what I was trying to say. I will have to try and hook up with you guys on Vassel, at least i would get a chance to play a little.
qvos
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 9:39:58 PM

K4ot1K wrote:
No, you didn't offend me. At 38yr old, 15 yr in the military and 3 combat tours, that is nearly impossible, lol. I have about 20% of the entire collection. I love playing (when I can find someone or get a chance). The thing that turned me off to Magic a little, was the constant "play testing" of insain decks and that people loved to rub it in your face that you didn't know every freakin card by heart. I love playing games, but I have a life and job and family. And those take up the majority of my time. I just don't have the time or desire to memorize every figure. Thats what I was trying to say. I will have to try and hook up with you guys on Vassel, at least i would get a chance to play a little.

No prob at all. I'm in the same boat as you, although Ive never played Magic. I'm 36 and have a Job and a wife. When my brother in law Andre(Trey22) lived in Cali. we would play on Vassal every Wednesday night. He has since moved to MI near Detroit very close to me. We now rarely play on Vassal, but I still like to go on there and play.
One of the rules of Swminis is that one is obligated to remind their opponents if they are missing a stat, or perhaps and effect they might be missing. I take it one step further and oftentimes remind my opponent of what my squad can do. Anyway, looking forward to playing again on Vassal!