RegisterDonateLogin

Has taught you well.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Faction Support! Options
creme_brule
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 12:51:33 PM
Groups: Member

If 2 factions could have one piece added to each, what factions do you think need it most and what figure would benifit it most? And please, do NOT say a "Rieekan", a "GMLS", etc. because honestly, that would dull the game lol. Meh

Here's my take:

Sith: Tempo Control/Cheap movement breaker (Sidious SM is too expensive and too easy to kill IMHO)
Mandalorians: Tempo Control

These two factions would be a whole lot greater with just one movement breaker apiece. Their respective beats/commanders in each faction are pretty high costing (Sith lords; Mandalores) so tempo control would really help them a lot. Movement for Sith would be helpful as well since the majority of their characters have melee (excluding the usual trooper figures of course).

So...what do you guys think?
Weeks
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 12:55:52 PM

Well I'd agree if Revan Sith Lord (has swap) and the Mandalorian CIO (nullifies tempo) and Mandalorian tactician (grants tempo control) doesnt exist.

So I guess you got your wish.
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 1:17:51 PM

Also, Mandalorians can have a movement breaker in Jaina SotJ. ;-)
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 1:23:06 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Sith has Tempo control. It is not the traditional Tempo Control, but in very Sith tradition, controls the opponent's activations. Exar Kun, Darth Bane, Naga Sadow, and Freedon Nadd are the only tempo control they need.
qvos
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 9:35:56 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Sith has Tempo control. It is not the traditional Tempo Control, but in very Sith tradition, controls the opponent's activations. Exar Kun, Darth Bane, Naga Sadow, and Freedon Nadd are the only tempo control they need.
Activating people with SS works great. Many players don't take advantage of those guys. I Think Evade might be a little to much for the Sith, but I do wish they. Had some ability to help them stand up against non melee figures. Watching Bane get shot to pieces by Rex, Cad Bane, Atris' handmaidens as he runs up to do some heavy damage is pretty frustrating
Segastorm
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 9:51:54 PM

qvos wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
Activating people with SS works great. Many players don't take advantage of those guys. I Think Evade might be a little to much for the Sith, but I do wish they. Had some ability to help them stand up against non melee figures. Watching Bane get shot to pieces by Rex, Cad Bane, Atris' handmaidens as he runs up to do some heavy damage is pretty frustrating

you could bring in your own stealth piece and take advantage of Revan's swap, but it's costly.
gwek
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 12:27:10 AM

This thread is similar to a series of threads I posted on the old Wizards forums called things like "5 to Save the Sith" (the idea was to create five custom pieces that would bring each minor faction up to the level of the major factions). I haven't thought about it for a while--and the threads were before the virtual sets and I think even before the last set or two from WotC--so things have changed quite a bit.

Still, if I recall correctly, we felt that the biggest thing the Mandos were lacking was tempo control, and rather than copy what the other faction has, we created some options to shut down tempo control for others (in The New Lost Twenty, which used some of these ideas and was finalized before the first virtual set, we had Cassus Fett, who was an anti-tactician, presaging the Mando CIO).

The biggest problems for the other factions (Old Rep, Sith, and Vong) all revolve around the following:

1) Inability to survive to ajacency/Poor defenses
2) Limited choice of pieces
3) Tempo control
4) Relatively low damage to cost ratio

Most of that has been addressed these days by the V-Sets, but if a few possible ideas/solutions:

A) Although Sithborg is right that the Sith have a form of Tempo control, it is costly (and that's the problem with some of the solutions for the smaller factions: they don't have access to cheap, flexible options like the other factions). One simple solution would be an Old Republic Merchant with something like "Bondar Crystal Supplies (Replaces turn, one adjacent ally with a lightsaber gains Jolt against adjacent enemies until the end of the skirmish)." Give him Sith Affinity, and two factions now have another option besides Sith Sorcery and Force Stun 3.

B) In terms of limited choice of pieces, we came up with ways for each faction to round out it's selection. For the Old Republic, two different pieces were considered: an Old Republic Senator (who allowed for non-Unique, non-Order 66 Republic pieces to be in an Old Rep squad and counted as Old Rep pieces) and Hylo Visz (who let Fringe and Old Rep pieces be counted as either Fringe or Old Rep for CEs). The Sith also had two options discussed: Darth Maladi (who could recruit Stormtroopers into the Sith faction) and a piece that could bring in non-Unique Force users of any dark side faction. One option for the Mandos was a Mandalorian Rally Master, who had both Relay Orders and an ability that allowed all allies within 6 squares to count as Mandos. The Vong options were geared toward a specific type of squad, a "monster" squad, if you will, that (if I recall correctly) allowed any Savage or Dejarik piece to be counted as a Vong (and also gave YVA armor and maybe another benefit), so suddenly all those big ugly pieces have access to some very good commander effects.

The idea with ALL of these pieces would be that they would be relatively cheap, and they would offer multiple things (generally, a comprehensive commander effect combined with the ability to "recruit").

C) Survival to adjacency seemed to be the biggest problem for the melee-rich Vong, Old Rep, and Sith, so we discussed ways to bolster their defenses and get them to the fight faster. For the Old Republic, a few pieces with swap or Telekinesis were discussed (my personal favorite, and my "signature" piece, was Gryph, who combined a variant swap commander effect with Disruptive and Diplomat), and many of the Admiral Saul Karath's discussed (including the one for the New Lost Twenty) provided Shields or some other defensive option to the Old Rep and Sith. The previously mentioned Darth Maladi (who, if I recall, was actually "Darth Maladi, Hologram," so she was VERY cheap but had no combat abilities--almost an auto-include) could not only bring in Stormtroopers, but also had an ability called "Assassination Mission" or something like that, that allowed her to give an adjacent Force-user Ambush and Cloaked. I felt that the Ambush/Cloaked combo was definitely in keeping with the feel of the Sith and compensated for many of their weaknesses.

Another defensive option for the Sith that I toyed with, but was never able to make fully playable, was what I referred to as "the Trooper defense", in which Sith support troops would gain Draw Fire and defensive/recovery abilities (eg, Avoid Defeat), allowing them to draw fire and die for their Sith Lords. I think it was a very interesting, very Sith idea, but could never get the balance quite right.

If anyone is interested, I can probably dig up the links to the old threads on the Wizards forums. I also need to find time to post the stats for the Next Lost Twenty in the customs section.
Weeks
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 1:08:39 AM

Troopers gaining draw fire is interesting indeed.
Darth_Sal
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 1:59:27 AM

gwek wrote:

Darth Maladi (who could recruit Stormtroopers into the Sith faction) and a piece that could bring in non-Unique Force users of any dark side faction. One option for the Mandos was a Mandalorian Rally Master, who had both Relay Orders and an ability that allowed all allies within 6 squares to count as Mandos.

Both of these are awesome ideas!

gwek wrote:
The previously mentioned Darth Maladi (who, if I recall, was actually "Darth Maladi, Hologram," so she was VERY cheap but had no combat abilities--almost an auto-include) could not only bring in Stormtroopers, but also had an ability called "Assassination Mission" or something like that, that allowed her to give an adjacent Force-user Ambush and Cloaked. I felt that the Ambush/Cloaked combo was definitely in keeping with the feel of the Sith and compensated for many of their weaknesses.

And this is absolutely fantastic! Extremely helpful to the faction and very "Sith" in flavor. I hope we see this in a V-set at some point.
confute
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:20:53 AM

gwek great response. Very insightful.

I might add one thing. Was at California regional this weekend and several people talked about the Mandolorian CI officer, but didn't bring a mando squad because their pieces are just too expensive to get a good squad.
DotF helped a lot. Jaster is great but not sure Mandos are there yet.
Thoughts?
gwek
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 12:08:31 PM

This thread has made me take a little trip down memory lane, complete with links!

First, here's a link to the post for the final pdf of the Next Lost Twenty, if anyone is interested:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/26276801/Next_Lost_Twenty_custom_set

I think there's actually a post on bloomilk, but I'm not sure. Although it may not be apparent, one of the guiding stars for this set (like the the first two virtual sets) was elevating the lesser factions (although the poor Old Rep only got one piece--well, two if you count Karath). We tried to be as conservative as possible with the "major" factions, while going a little crazy with some of the lesser faction pieces.

Second, I completely forget that after the release of the last WotC set, I tried to do a custom set called "Balance of Power," devoted primarily to boosting the four smallest factions (with a little help for the New Rep). Here's the thread:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/23145837/Star_Wars:_Balance_of_Power?pg=1

And here's a copy of one of the posts, including drafts of a number of the pieces I was talking about:

Quote:
Old Republic Senator
Faction: Old Republic
Cost: less than 10
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 14
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Diplomat

Commander Effect:
Your squad may include non-Unique Republic characters without Order 66. Allies within 6 squares gain Gregarious.

Design Notes: The concept started out as Tarsus Valorum during the 5 Easy Pieces for the Old Republic discussion. Since there's no real reason for him to be unique, he's no a generic senator. His role is pretty straightforward. The first part of his commander effect allows the Old Rep to access about 2 dozen more pieces (and because he'll be so cheap, the cost is not prohibitive). The second part provide Gregarious, something the Old Rep can definitely use.

Darth Maladi, Hologram
Faction: Sith
Cost: mid- to high teens
Hit Points: --
Defense: --
Attack: --
Damage: --

Affinity (Followers whose names contain Stormtrooper may be in your squad regardless of faction)
Assassination Mission (Replaces turn: choose 1 adjacent ally with a Force rating to gain Ambush and Cloaked for the rest of the skirmish)
Hologram

Commander Effect:
TBD (likey trooper-related).

Design Notes: Like the Old Rep Senator, Holo-Maladi serves a few functons. First, she allows the Sith faction to pull in Stormtroopers, which broadens their grunt options considerably. Keep in mind that she has affinity for followers only, though, so Stormtroopers in the Sith faction will play very differently than those in the Imperial faction, based on commander effects.

Her second key ability, Assassination Mission, allows her to grant Ambush and Cloaked to allies with a Force rating. Because this replaces turn, she is, theoretically, limited in how quickly she can provide the bonus, which should help keep the cost down a bit. Keep in mind also that although her cost will be relatively low, she needs to be played with at least one trooper character (who cannot benefit from Assassionation Mission) to avoid being automaticallu defeated.

I considered giving her a commander effect (possibly one specific to Trooper followers), but this seemed like it might be excessive.

Mandalorian Rally Master
Faction: Mandalorians
Cost: High teens
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 17
Attack: 10
Damage: 10

Relay Orders (Each allied commander can count distance from this character as well as from itself for the purpose of commander effects)

Commander Effect:
Non-Unique followers within 6 squares gain Mandalorian.

Design Notes: The red-armored Rally Master presents an alternative to Mandalore the Ultimate, although it does not replace him. The fact that his commander effect works in tandem with Relay Orders doesn't hurt.

Yuuzhan Vong Master Shaper
Faction: Yuuzhan Vong
Cost: 20-ish
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 16
Attack: 6
Damage: 10

Melee Attack
Force Immunity
Homicidal Surgery 20
Master Shaper (Savage allies lose Savage but gain Dejarik for the rest of the skirmish. Allies with Dejarik count as Yuuzhan Vong and gain Vonduun Crab Armor 11 for the rest of the skirmish.)

Finally, I forget that I had a cute name for those "save the faction threads: Five Easy Pieces. I present below the link to the Mando thread (the last and shortest of them), which has, in its first post, links to the other three:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/20544417/5_Easy_Pieces:_Challege_4--the_Mandalorian_Menace!
gwek
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 12:48:34 PM

confute wrote:
gwek great response. Very insightful.

I might add one thing. Was at California regional this weekend and several people talked about the Mandolorian CI officer, but didn't bring a mando squad because their pieces are just too expensive to get a good squad.
DotF helped a lot. Jaster is great but not sure Mandos are there yet.
Thoughts?

The Mandalorians are actually a very interesting faction, design-wise. If you ignore the last two sets (DotF and MotF), there's an amazing amount of consistency among the non-Uniques: HP 40-60, Def 16-18, Att 8-10. Add Special Abilities and flavor to taste. Those core stats bring with them a certain base cost that can't be avoided.

Unfortunately, as the game evolves and more characters have higher damage output (often paired with Twin Attack), the core stats don't necessarily mean as much. When the first few sets came out, there was actually a pretty significant gameplay diffference between 10 and, say, 30 HP. Many pieces only did 10 or 20 damage, and so 10 HP vs 30 HP was the difference between going down after one hit and going down after 2-3. Now, the difference between 10 HP and 30 (or even 40) is often negligible. If you're fielding pieces that only do 10-20 damage an activation, you're likely playing a losing game.

So, to some extent, the value of Mando pieces going to their relatively robust HP (and even Defense) is wasted. (We see the antidote to that in the Taung Warrior and Mando Blaster-for-Hire).

Having said all that, what is the answer? Well, I don't know. I think that cheaper, weaker pieces are a good partial answer, although too many weak pieces starts to dilute the identity of the Mando faction.

Another possible facet is something like the Mando Rally Master, a moderately-priced pieces that lets you maximize cheaper Fringe pieces to help round out a Mando squad (increasing Mando synergy and mitigating potential tempo issues).

Another option would be a piece that allows for more, cheaper options. In fact, here's what I had to say about the Mando faction when working on Balance of Power:

Quote:
One piece I've been pondering for a while is Kal Skirata, who would allow the Mandos to bring in non-Unique followers with Order 66. If you look at most of these pieces, the sort of fill the "lower ranks" under the cheap Mandos. Actually, the higher cost Order 66 pieces (not including those on vehicles) are very similar to the low-end Mandos in design.

Of course there's also Reserves. Jaster's Reserves are nice, but you're already paying for them in his price.

None of those are really the answer on their own, and even combined, I'm not sure where that leaves you. I'm inclined to agree somewhat with the folk in California. The Mandos aren't necessarily too expensive, but I think their value has gone down considerably. On the other hand, of the minor factions, they have always been on the cusp of competitive and, I think, continue to be so. I'm sure R&R will give us some interesting new ideas.
rogueshadow16
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 1:04:11 PM

gwek wrote:
The previously mentioned Darth Maladi (who, if I recall, was actually "Darth Maladi, Hologram," so she was VERY cheap but had no combat abilities--almost an auto-include) could not only bring in Stormtroopers, but also had an ability called "Assassination Mission" or something like that, that allowed her to give an adjacent Force-user Ambush and Cloaked. I felt that the Ambush/Cloaked combo was definitely in keeping with the feel of the Sith and compensated for many of their weaknesses.

When I read this, the first thing that came into my mind was Darth Bane having Ambush and Cloak... Wow!! DroolThumbsUp
billiv15
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 1:45:41 PM

gwek wrote:

One piece I've been pondering for a while is Kal Skirata, who would allow the Mandos to bring in non-Unique followers with Order 66. If you look at most of these pieces, the sort of fill the "lower ranks" under the cheap Mandos. Actually, the higher cost Order 66 pieces (not including those on vehicles) are very similar to the low-end Mandos in design.

Nice thinking. We were on the same page with him :)

I think we also agree generally on the Mandos. The early vision of them, was to begin with basic troopers that were the equivalent of Elites for the other factions. But that was quashed over time. Today they suffer most from the ability to get all their good stuff in a single squad - hence the idea of Jaster - which also allowed us to deal with some degree of lancer issues. Further ideas, they need to have cheap figures, and that breaks what was clearly the early vision of the faction, but it's necessary for competitive reasons (Jaster being able to bring in 5 figures instead of the max 3). Being able to use up those points better as well. They also need more variety, we've started that process, but it will take a while to fully flesh out the faction.

But I can tell you Kal will go a long way in that regard as well.