RegisterDonateLogin

I'll try stirring, that's a good trick.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Best Fringe pieces? Options
gwek
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:25:30 AM
Groups: Member

Since things seem a little slow this week, I thought I'd start a new thread or two. First up:

What are the best Fringe pieces? What would you say are the best 10 or 12 Fringe pieces overall? How about the top three or so for your favorite faction(s)?
Darthbane53
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:08:04 AM

Best Fringe Pecice in my opinion, Ugnaught demo, he makes it in to 90% of my squads.
Dont really have an awnser for the 2nd on,
Favorite factions: Sith, Republic, Vong.
creme_brule
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:09:03 AM

Shall we exclude the Bobas and save our time? Razz ...and mouse droids...ThumbDown
gwek
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:20:22 AM

Hey, answer however you want. I mean, sure, we all know that if this turns into a list the Mouse Droid and Uggie are going to be near the top, but that shouldn't stop you from including them if you want! :)

As for the second part, it wasn't a question about other faction pieces, but about which Fringe pieces work well with specific factions (eg, "I like such-and-such a Fringe piece, but ONLY for Republic squads, while I think these other Fringe pieces are great all-around...").
creme_brule
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:30:13 AM

gwek wrote:
Hey, answer however you want. I mean, sure, we all know that if this turns into a list the Mouse Droid and Uggie are going to be near the top, but that shouldn't stop you from including them if you want! :)

As for the second part, it wasn't a question about other faction pieces, but about which Fringe pieces work well with specific factions (eg, "I like such-and-such a Fringe piece, but ONLY for Republic squads, while I think these other Fringe pieces are great all-around...").

Ah; i see.
Well; off the top of my head Jarael is a pretty good all around character as well as Lobot. R7s have a pretty heavy use as well. As for faction specific; I know a whole ago Gran Raiders used to be used a lot with Nom until AE and DOTF came out
batmanheroclix
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:31:29 AM

1.Uggie's
2.Mouse droid
3.Lobot
4.Boba, Merc
5. Cad Bane
engineer
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:49:47 AM

2-3 of the fringe units in the next set. ;)
Darthbane53
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:05:20 PM

engineer wrote:
2-3 of the fringe units in the next set. ;)

I dont understand...are your new favorite fringers in the next set?
qvos
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:17:56 PM

TBSV, Md, Clobot, Uggie, Uggernaut, Boba BH, Cad Bane, Uggie d, Jango, and Jabba CL.
Sashlon
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:26:58 PM

Uniques
1. Lobot
2. Salacious Crumb
3. Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
4. Jarael
5. Gha Nachkt
6. Atris
7. Boba Fett, Mercenary
8. Cad Bane
9. Wicket
10. Xizor

Non-Uniques
1. Ugnaught Demolitionist
2. Mouse Droid
3. Twilek Black Sun Vigo
4. Caamasi Noble
5. R7 Astromech
6. Bith Black Sun Vigo
7. GenoHaradin Assassin
8. Gran Raider
9. Nautalan Black Sun Vigo
10. Rodian Brute
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:55:00 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Kel Dor Bounty Hunters. I used to always use them in every squad. +12 ATT and SD 40 were pretty good.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:25:24 PM

I mostly only have Republic pieces. Two factors that influence fringe pieces in Republic are that (i) swap squads with Panaka and Yobuck are common, so having fringe pieces to swap in is helpful, and (ii) with Doombot and Mas being ubiquitous, sometimes there's not as much room or need for otherwise common fringe pieces like Mouse Droids and Lobot. Also, the Republic have Rodian Diplomats, with It's A Trap, who seem more useful than Caamasi Noble for the same cost, although they need to be in the base squad and can't be bought in with Lobot.

The fringe pieces I think are most useful in Republic are:
- Rodian Brute (great swap piece with a medium base and only costing 3 points)
- Ugnaught Demolitionist (essential, unless you're running a Spaarti clone trooper squad)
- Dash, Renegade Smuggler - becomes a steamroller with General Skywalker, while he's also great with other Republic commanders who can boost his attack.
- R7 - having double override, then deep striking and killing all your opponents override is great.
- Lobot - like I said above, he doesn't fit into all builds easily - with Mas and R2, sometimes there isn't enough room for another 27 points of tech, but he definitely has an important place in some squads (eg Skybuck).
- Wicket - one of the easiest ways to boost Captain Rex's attack.
- Salacious Crumb, Human Bodyguard, Rakghoul - good candidates for Lobot's reserves, depending on what you're facing.
- Lando Calrissian, Dashing Scoundrel - useful if you want a low-medium cost shooter who is subject to CEs.

I generally think Jarael is a great piece, but there's not a whole lot of reason to bring her into Republic. I don't really like Cad Bane that much, unless there's a way to boost his damage output - mainly he's good with something like Thrawn or Bastila who can do that.
Segastorm
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:32:07 PM

Actually, I like Boba, Enforcer. With the new Dooku Coming out, he'll see some play again.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:32:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Jawa Scavenger, Ugnaught Droid Destroyer, Czerka Scientist.

Nobody has mentioned the IG-86 Assassin Droid?

Whipid Tracker is not bad either.

Segastorm
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:47:28 PM

Well duh. The IG-18 Asassin Droid is arguably the best fringe in the game, counting support.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:39:19 AM

We discussed this last night on the SHNN. Each of us on the call gave our top 5 pieces. Mine were, in no particular order:

Czerka Scientist - Synergizes so well with so many pieces, and hands out Jolt, which is in my opinion one of the most under-implemented abilities in the game.

TBSV - Great CE that works well in my favorite factions (Rebels and NR), as well as a solid backup shooter for his cost, and he has Jolt!

Lobot - The ability to customize your squad after seeing your opponent's means you don't have to play a ton of door control, or lots of Stealth counters, or tons of activations, or whatever, in your base squad. This frees up points in your base squad so it can be more substantial pieces, and those little situational support pieces can be brought in as needed.

Bossk, Trandoshan Hunter - Maybe not super competitive, but I've always thought he was really fun. Stun Mortar is awesome (just like Jolt!), and with the TBSV and Evade from Wedge or Rieekan he can do some nasty damage on the move while still having the beef to survive as well as Regeneration for that extra little bit of longevity.

Chadra Fan Pilot - New piece, go check out his stats in the spoiler thread if you want him spoiled! Just cool all around, very hard to kill while he synergizes with SO much stuff, especially some great other things in R&R. And he can activate you on a save 11, just like Jolt!

Alright guys, I think I definitely really, really like activating my opponent's pieces....
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:04:50 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Segastorm wrote:
Well duh. The IG-18 Asassin Droid is arguably the best fringe in the game, counting support.

Strongly disagree. Being good in one faction does not make it one of the best Fringe pieces there is. It makes is one of the best Seperatist pieces. Show me one other faction that you would use an 86 over Lando or a Twi'lek Vigo, and I may consent.
gwek
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:19:54 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Segastorm wrote:

Strongly disagree. Being good in one faction does not make it one of the best Fringe pieces there is. It makes is one of the best Seperatist pieces. Show me one other faction that you would use an 86 over Lando or a Twi'lek Vigo, and I may consent.

I guess that's why he said "arguably". :P

Have at it, guys!
jlbm347
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:25:57 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Segastorm wrote:

Can be used in a Rebel squad with K-3PO to be given Speed 8 and can benefit from Kazdan using Droid Mark on him and then possibly able to bring in 30 pts of Seperatist droids if you get reserves. General Dodonna would almost insure that you get Opportunist off and a Czerka would give it Jolt if you had to attack an unactivated character. Plus they cannot be effected by critical hits and though they don't have evade or greater mobile like the Twi'lek Vigo it has more base health. Just an opinion.
theDaRkLoRdoftheSiTh
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:16:08 AM

actually i think lando DS is one of the best for his point cost same with dash RSThumbsUp