RegisterDonateLogin

Dark Lord of the Fridge.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Balance of Power discussion thread -- feedback/ideas welcome! Options
gwek
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:37:53 PM
Groups: Member

Hey, folks! I’m starting a new thread for my custom set, Balance of Power--discussion welcome!

I’ve discussed it elsewhere (it’s actually an idea from a year or two ago that I’m resurrecting), but I wanted to break it out into a fresh thread.

My objectives with this set:

1) 40 piece virtual set broken down into 12 common, 12 uncommon, 8 rare, 8 very rare
2) All factions will be represented, although my personal favorites (Old Republic, Sith, and Mandos) will get the most representation, with the “biggest” factions (Rebels, Imps, Republic) getting the least
3) I’m very open to input on the set list and on individual pieces, but I’m generally looking for pieces who add something new/interesting, or perhaps who help revive interest in older/underused pieces
4) As more of the second V-Set is revealed, I will adjust my set to react to it (so, for example, if we’ve designed a piece that fills the same role as a V-Set piece, once that becomes apparent, our piece goes out the window!)
5) With respect to characters, I’d like to fiddle with some of the sources that haven’t been well-established (eg, some of the comics, the second and third seasons of Clone Wars, possibly a character or two from FotJ…)

That’s the basics. Mostly, I’m doing this because I find it to be a fun intellectual exercise… but I find it more fun if other people are interested in discussing, too! So, please, offer feedback!

You can find the current version of the set (initial drafts of about half the pieces) here:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/Set/1038/balance-of-power

Please comment on any or all of the pieces! I’m happy to discuss, finesse, and adjust.

In broad strokes, here are my thoughts on the factions (as well as some of the pieces already created):

OLD REPUBLIC

Although the V-Sets have already done quite a bit to help the Old Rep, I think there’s still a pretty long road ahead, so the Old Rep will probably get somewhere between 8 and 10 pieces. I currently have 7 Old Rep pieces (any or all of whom could be cut!), including:

--Admiral Forn Dodonna: Sort of a Rieekan/Wedge for the faction, intended to help buff the overpriced Uniques that WotC left us with. It’s possible, though, that she may be too powerful or two cheap in the wake of the V-Sets.

--Echani Dueling Master: This guy was created to serve two purposes: help buff the Jedi with some melee-related abilities and help “transport” Jedi to the fight via his Energy Shield. Initial feedback was that he might be too powerful, especially with Sith affinity. Yes? No?

--Gryph: One of my “signature” pieces, Gryph is a chaotic piece pairing Diplomat and Disruptive. His commander effect probably needs updating (He was created long before the first V-Set).

--Kerra Holt: Kerra is somewhat similar to Dass Jennir, but with Loner. Too powerful? Too weak? Perhaps she should have an “Impulsive” special ability?

--Another piece that might be too powerful now.

--Old Republic Gunslinger: Sort of a poor man’s Han Solo, Gambler, the OSG is intended to represent a passable non-Soldier alternative to the Antarian Ranger. I will likely also do a Hylo Visz character to build synergy between smugglers, pilots, and the Fringe.

--Tarsus Valorum: Although I like this guy, I’m starting to question the need for him. He was originally intended to help add depth to the Old Rep by letting them “recruit” a limited number of Republic pieces (about two dozen). Not sure how necessary that is anymore. Anyone have an opinion?

Other Old Rep ideas I’m toying with include the aforementioned Hylo Visz, G0-T0, and perhaps a Rodian Arms Dealer (maybe a Unique).

SITH

Like the Old Rep, I think the Sith still need a bit of help, although I need to evaluate some of these ideas in light of the V-Sets (especially the second one). Current characters include:

--Darth Maladi, Hologram: Maladi mirrors the Old Rep’s Dodonna and Valorum. She gives the Sith faction a few new options (Yay! Stormtroopers!) and can also buff the mighty Sith warriors. Initial feedback was that she may be too cheap… or at least Assassination Mission may be too powerful.

--Hanharr: This guy is a holdover from previous discussion. On one hand, I’m happy with the way he turned out (although perhaps he needs another look in light of the V-Sets). On the other hand, I’m not sure that he necessarily adds anything, so if I need a spot, he’s likely to be cut.

--Sith Juggernaut: This guy is intended as a “tank” or “defender” for the faction, literally drawing fire. He is also designed to strike fear in the hearts of players fond of bringing wimpy 10 HP pieces to the table!

--Sith Officer: Like Maladi, Gryph, and a couple other pieces in this set, the Sith Officer is one I’ve been fiddling with for a while. He’s key to an idea I had a while ago called “the trooper defense”, in which Sith troopers basically die so that the Sith big guns can get into place and attack. I love the thematic resonance of the concept, but haven’t been able to make the balance work (the troopers die too quickly to be worth their costs). Also, with the Sith Juggernaut, the “trooper defense” might not be needed.

Other possible Sith characters include Dessel, hsiss, Imperial Operative, Sith Trooper Sniper, Sith “targeting droid”, and Sith Sorcerer (possibly with multi-targeting Force powers that can activate, helping the Sith with initiative issues).

REPUBLIC

One of the factions to get token representation only, they’re currently getting Duchess Satine, who has Mando Affinity, and helps both factions in somewhat different ways.

I don’t plan to do much more for the faction, although maybe Boss Nass or a generic Senate Commander type (with Old Rep affinity?)...

SEPARATISTS

No pieces created yet, but what I’d like to do here is work on the living, non-Droid part of the faction. I’m thinking maybe something like this:

--Count Dooku, Hologram: Maybe with a commander effect like “Each ally starts the skirmish with one extra Force point. Unique allies gain Avoid Defeat and Mettle.”

--Morgukai Warrior: Not quite as powerful as a Jedi, but almost as cool. Probably 40 or so HP, maybe Parry… Possibly a Cortosis Staff that is similar to Cortosis Guantlet, or maybe like a limited form of Force Immunity (“Adjacent allies cannot use Force powers with names that include Lightsaber”).

--Anzati Assassin: Possibly generic, possibly unique. (If you’ve read the Republic comic, you may remember that these guys were brought in to train the Morgukai clones in the art of stealth). I’m thinking they might provided “super-Stealth” to a very limited subset of living allies.

REBEL, IMPERIALS, NEW REPUBLIC

Not sure yet what these factions will get, but it will probably only be 1-2 pieces. I’m thinking that (like Duchess Satine) one or more of them will probably have Affinity to the factions I’d really like to help… For example, the Rebels might get Wookiee Chieftain (with Affinity to the Old Rep) and the New Rep might get Bothan Spymaster (with Affinity to the Old Rep and Rep).

Suggestions, anyone?

FRINGE

Right now, I have three Fringe pieces (again, who knows which ones will make the cut?):

--GenoHaradan Operative: Designed as a commander-killing piece.

--Terellian Jango Jumper: I’m sure other people might find uses for her, but I’m thinking mostly that she’s going to help swap squads. Too much?

--Wookiee Laborer: A fun piece designed years ago by another player (Sharrakor) that I usually throw in to my sets as a “common”.

Other Fringe pieces I’m thinking about include Embo (who I want to design as a mid-20s “fan favorite” piece a la Dash and Jarael) and Savage Oppress (maybe with “super-Rapport” for Assaj?).

Otherwise, I would like to round the Fringe (and the set) out by giving some help to the “sub-factions” (especially the species ones), which seems to be something of interest to the community: Rodian Commander, Ewok Warleader, Rodian Slave Captain…Another possibility might be some sort of Wookiee or Ewok hunter (Wookiee Shadowlands Hunter?), which will make more sense when we get to the Vong.

One of Surf’s pieces has given me an idea for a Cerean Mercenary Commander, who might make the merc “sub-faction” more interesting.

MANDOS

There are a few different “threads” running through my thinking for the Mandos.

First, there’s the pro-Republic/anti-Sep thread, as seen by the Mando Royal Guard (designed to work best with Satine).

Then there’s Death Watch, which is pro-Sep, anti-Rep. So far, I’ve made a Death Watch Assassin and Death Watch Engineer, both of whom have Sep affinity. Also in the works (although not yet created): Pre Viszla, who will also have Affinity and will probably be able to bring ALL Death Watch into the Seps. Not sure about the details yet, but he’ll probably suppress Internal Strife.

The third thread I’m thinking of is the “KotOR thread,” which would probably include Cassus Fett and Demagol (“fan favorites” who appeared in the Next Lost Twenty) and perhaps some non-Uniques (eg, Mando Berserker, Mando Neo-Crusader).

YUUZHAN VONG

I’ve got some issues with this faction. On one hand, I want to add a few pieces to help out. On the other hand, I don’t much care about the faction myself, so it’s hard to come up with ideas.

One idea I have now (which probably need to be looked at in light of the V-Sets) is the “Master Shaper” (which needs to be renamed post-V-Set), a piece who gives the Vong access to a new type of squad, a sort of “monster squad.” I think it could be fun (and would be fine with making her unique if someone can suggest a reasonable character to use).
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:28:48 AM
Groups: Member

I'm back from my trip & I noticed you've opened a new thread with a link in the Old Customs Board. So, where are we?