RegisterDonateLogin

You must drink what you think is right, of course.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Who wins? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
Luke Skywalker 40 53.333333 %
Revan 35 46.666666 %

April 2009 re-Rock the Vote (Skywalker v Revan) Options
mrtyler7
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:14:06 AM
Groups: Member

Just take a quick look at Luke's article on wookiepedia under "Powers and Abilities." I realize that a lot of people don't have much exposure to the EU Luke, but they really went overboard with him. They don't even list everything, as shatterpoint isn't on the list, but Luke has shown that he has that ability as well. I think they sum it up well with this statement: "Luke Skywalker was one of, if not the, most powerful Jedi to ever exist, as he demonstrated powers and abilities that sometimes surpassed even Grand Master Yoda."
11MB StarWalker
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:15:39 AM

Hasn't there been some speculation that Revan's real name and/or heritage is going to be revealed soon?

They've already dealt with Squint. Maybe a final verdict would be easier knowing more about Revan's past, or even his fate. Any offspring? Too many unknowns.

Luke's tendency for "redemption" is his weakness. Revan, probably arrogance.

If it was for blood, the Skywalker heritage would prevail. Leader, Solider, Mini, it is Revan, at least for now.

Power/Knowledge/Dueling: different training, different knowledge, different times. Each either knows, or can do, something that the other can't.

Comparing Revan with Caedus would be fun. Caedus was a well-conceived character, and the Legacy authors did a fantastic job writing him. Even within the 9-book series, I don't think the three authors would have been able to adequately explore all of the Force knowledge and techniques that Caedus possessed.

Conceivably, the Caedus mini could have had either Master Tactician or Lightsaber Duelist. But the card was conceived before the series was complete. Maybe there will be a Caedus (Legacy) someday.

Caedus and Revan is probably for another time. For Luke/Revan, I'd say Luke, unless or until, Revan's name, heritage, and past are clarified. But even after that, I'd lean towards a Skywalker.
skilanky64
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:22:29 AM

I'm pretty sure Revan couldn't bulls-eye a womp rat with his T-16.

My vote's got to go to Luke in this one. Just like Beggars Canyon back home =P
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:30:03 AM

Revan didnt have to shoot them just choke/corrupt them...........way more fun!
Lachesis
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:19:57 AM

revan would turn them to his side.

also revans real name, was revan, i believe is is one of the if not the only, sith lord to not change.
11MB StarWalker
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:34:51 AM

Derived from "the Revanchist" or the "Revanchists."

He either was called "Revanchist" or decided to call himself that. His Darth title just shortens it.

Many of the Darth names have interesting roots. Revan's is French, probably from the Middle Ages, used as a synonym for "revenge," although it can be about recovering prestige or lost territory, which makes sense within French history before the 15th century.

Caedus is an odd one. My two best ideas are related to transformation, which makes sense given the Vong connection with Jacen. The transformation can be into something "beautiful" or "distorted/perverse." I suppose it comes down to perspective.

I wish I could ask any of the Legacy authors about that name.

--11MB
da_man
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:19:13 AM

why is the first page incredibly long and the name so short?
of course it might just be me.
RevRevGar
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:34:54 AM

da_man wrote:
why is the first page incredibly long and the name so short?
of course it might just be me.

What do you mean?

-RevRevGar
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:36:23 AM

It looks normal to me, because its full is why its longer.
mrtyler7
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:02:00 AM

11MB StarWalker wrote:

Caedus is an odd one. My two best ideas are related to transformation, which makes sense given the Vong connection with Jacen. The transformation can be into something "beautiful" or "distorted/perverse." I suppose it comes down to perspective.

I wish I could ask any of the Legacy authors about that name.

--11MB

"Caedus" was the result of a fan suggestion contest. Here's the wookieepedia entry on the subject:

"As revealed at starwars.com, Jacen indeed became a Dark Lord of the Sith in Sacrifice. There was a contest through the site where registered members could choose Jacen's Sith name...

The winning name, which appeared at the end of Sacrifice, was "Darth Caedus." Caedus was originally thought to be an invention based on the Latin verb cædo, cædere (the noun form of which is cæsum, not cædus) which means "to cut" or "to kill"; however, Cædus is also a Latin noun, either of the second declension or the fourth, meaning "slaughter". It is a more obscure Latin root. Cædus would not necessarily be related to Cæsum. From both derivatives, the word's meanings accurately describe Jacen's increasingly violent tactics towards civilians and his murder of his own loved ones. This word is more obscure. "
11MB StarWalker
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:09:17 AM

Interesting. My curiousity is satisfied.

I had pursued "Caedus" in a sort of biological sense, perhaps a Vong parallel that was to be strengthened.

I should have been a bit quicker with the Roman connection. There are numerous Roman/Latin themes throughout the "Star Wars Universe." Too much reading about Great Britain lately...

--11MB
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 9:37:03 AM

da_man wrote:
reven powns in the cool department! .

True statement, but seems to be written by someone with apparently little gamer-nerd or online forum experience. If you are going to chuck around gamer slang, at least spell it right.
danielmcdougall
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 5:07:05 PM

skilanky64 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Revan couldn't bulls-eye a womp rat with his T-16.

My vote's got to go to Luke in this one. Just like Beggars Canyon back home =P

QFT

Beggars Canyon was no joke (anyone remember the old Rebel Assault video game?)...neither were those pesky womp rats (they were always trying to get to Aunt Beru's Bloo Milk).

My vote: Luke

After he grew up a little (he only whined in episode 4...I want to go to tosche station to get some power converters) and learned some things about life from Han Solo he was a pretty good guy.
He went through a lot before he really started to reach his potential. After he screwed up and went to Bespin too early he always took the harder path and always succeeded. I respect that. His father was the opposite right up until the end. I don't respect that.

Revan was cool too, but he didn't have that 70s hair flare or Han Solo as a friend (Carth Onasi was a joke compared to Han).
Phishnuggets
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 1:35:03 AM

Revan by far pwns luke. First of all Revan was an excelled student of the force, then went sith and became super powerful. Then he was turned back to the light and again became super nasty. Revan has skill far beyond luke in knowledge of the force and in lightsaber training. Luke half assed his training then as he got older learned more about the force. Luke was a whiny little teenager like his father whereas Revan did something, recruited an army of his own and took it to war against the mandos, and saved the galaxy from them. Sorry but I also hate Luke, he's just not that cool at all. Sure he started it all, and I will give him credit for his abilities. The only thing he had going for him was he was the son of the "chosen one"
RevRevGar
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:08:19 AM

Bumping.

Come on, Revan needs more votes!

-RevRevGar
swsf17
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:18:03 AM

Revan is by far the better of the two.ThumbsUp
death by wookie 89
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:24:57 AM

BlooMilk Blushing Wub Huh Laugh Cursing Crying Cool Confused Bored Angry BigGrin Blink Mad Meh Love LOL Drool Flapper Glare Revan is beast he's cooler not as good with women but still got bastila Go Revan down with luke!@@@@*!@H#U RU#Y*(C YU*(CY*(C_I( ............................................... Sith rulesWub Woot ThumbsUp Sneaky ThumbDown Wink Unsure Tongue ThumpUp Sleep Smile
Durge Dude
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:26:46 PM

I think it would be close but Luke would win
graloth
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:39:17 PM

death by wookie 89 wrote:
BlooMilk Blushing Wub Huh Laugh Cursing Crying Cool Confused Bored Angry BigGrin Blink Mad Meh Love LOL Drool Flapper Glare Revan is beast he's cooler not as good with women but still got bastila Go Revan down with luke!@@@@*!@H#U RU#Y*(C YU*(CY*(C_I( ............................................... Sith rulesWub Woot ThumbsUp Sneaky ThumbDown Wink Unsure Tongue ThumpUp Sleep Smile

not as good with the woman??? um did u play the game.
luke had mara and leia
revan had bastila, juhani and mission(of course you dont do anything with her but she still loves u)
and the random npcs that u can persuade by flirting (notably) the sith girl on taris that invites u to the party and u steal the sith armor.
amsnow
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 9:09:32 AM

graloth wrote:
death by wookie 89 wrote:

not as good with the woman??? um did u play the game.
luke had mara and leia

ummmm? leia was his sister dude, thats gross