RegisterDonateLogin

Surrounds us. Penetrates us. Binds the galaxy together.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Where is Gencon? Options
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:33:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I know this is a silly question to most of you, but I've been playing two years now and I was interested in participating in DCI other than at my local scene. I don't even get to do that since the nearest place I know of is two hours away from the college I attend.

So, does anyone know where the SWM Gencon thing is? And maybe when it is?

I wanna play on the national level, but I am limited by resources and location. But I still wanna go.
Ice Dragon
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:28:00 PM
Groups: Member

Gen Con is in Indianapolis, IN. Usually the second or third week of August every year.

www.gencon.com

It's well worth going, especially if you play other games. It really is the four best days in gaming. Quite an experience.

RP
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:16:43 PM

I'm looking forward to this. I have always wanted to go to GenCon but was never able. I have several friends that went back when it is was Wisconsin. Funny thing is wonce it moved closer to us none of them ever went. Well this year my son is old enough to enjoy it so I think we are going to make the trip. I wish they would post the events so we could plan our trip. Anyone that has been know how fast the hotels book? How soon should I be looking into getting one?
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:43:37 PM

I'm just a poor college student, so I'm worried about the costs involved. I don't want to drive out that far, so I'm thinking of taking a train and staying in a hotel. How expensive are the hotels in that area? Does anyone know?
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:10:17 PM

Might try those hotel sites. That's what we will do. We've used expedia.com before but there are about 5-6 of those sites you can compare with. I know one of them will give you a $50 gas voucher for staying 2 days in the same room.
DarthJak
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:43:53 PM

BlooMilk If you're willing to drive 10-15 min to get to Gencon the hotels are reasonable we paid like $85 last year for 3 in a room. Gencon itself cost $70-$80 for all 4 days. You can recoup that cost by e-baying all the free stuff you get.ThumbsUp
Eroschilles
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 6:38:22 AM

I guess thats not too bad cost wise. Travelling the 1000 miles cheaply would probably be my difficulty. Is it worth it if I only play SWM? IJ don't even know if I have to get tickets for Gencon ahead of time or if I can get them there.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 1:41:09 PM

The site says $68 for the weekend in advance and $78 on site or $38/day.
Grief
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 10:57:03 PM

I went to GenCon last year to play SWM. It was well worth the trip from Seattle. Ended up doing alot more stuff after the SWM hall closed each evening. Good times!
Eroschilles
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 7:56:52 AM

Yeah, I hope I can afford to go. Gotta earn enough money over the summer to pay off my debts, then pay for Gencon and the trip there.

How many different formats do they have there?
DarthJak
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 12:51:17 AM

Confused just check out the website dudesHuh
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 1:44:48 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Eroschilles wrote:
Yeah, I hope I can afford to go. Gotta earn enough money over the summer to pay off my debts, then pay for Gencon and the trip there.

Moses has posted the event schedule up on the WOTC forums.
awesome
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:22:58 AM

Is there any other Gen Con locations? or is it just Indianapolis?
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:30:28 AM

They used to have a Gencon in Southern California, but they closed it down due to it not being profitable. I think they may still have a Europe one, but I am unsure after their restrucuring from bankcrupcy.
Eroschilles
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:41:19 AM

DarthJak wrote:
Confused just check out the website dudesHuh

I tried checking out the Gencon website and it just gave me a huge mess of marketing stuff for themselves, and doesn't really give much in the way of pertinent information regarding SWM. I've also been having issues with logging onto WOTC for some reason. It does that every once in awhile, and I just have to wait a few days until it fixes itself.

I also like getting the opinions of those who have been there and stuff. I think it gives better perspective.
LoboStele
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 8:12:22 AM

Eroschilles wrote:

Go to the WOTC forums and look for the posts by Moses. He's the general organizer for the SWMs events. You have to realize, GenCon is not just for SWM. It's a general gaming convention with like 40,000+ attending. The SWMs area probably only sees about 200-300 of those people at best! So it's a HUGE event. The only way you'll find anything on the actual GenCon website about SWMs is in looking through the Event Registration listing, and you should be able to find the same set of events that Moses has posted about.

In years past (and similarly this year), you can pretty much spend from 9am to 9pm playing SWMs to heart's content. There's casual stuff like League Play, Sealed Events, Tile Wars, and Scenario Events, and then there are the more diehard, straight up competitive events like the Jedi Challenge and the Championships.

As said before, the ticket to get into the convention itself is about $70. Each SWM event that you play in is typically $10, with the Championship usually being more like $20-$30. Sealed Events or League cost you $30, but that also includes the 2 boosters you'll get with them. So, I usually end up spending about $100-$120 for events for the weekend.

Hotels can run anywhere from $50 a night to $200 a night depending on how close you want to stay to the convention center. I HIGHLY recommend you find people to room with, as that will help cut down on ALL the costs. For instance, last year, I stayed with 2 other friends about 10 minutes away from the Convention Center. We had to drive in and pay to park each day, but for the whole weekend, it only cost me about $100 for the hotel room + parking. This year, we're actually staying in a hotel across the street, so it's going to be more like $200 for the whole weekend (splitting room/parking 4 or 5 ways).

Also remember to include plenty of money for food/snacks as well, as things aren't super cheap in the convention center or the mall food court across the street. Figure on about $7-$8 per meal, unless you can locate a nearby grocery store and make food for yourself for the weekend. I'm usually too busy playing SWMs to be bothered with making food though, so we usually end up quickly visiting the food court, or one of the convention center vendors.

All in all, the trip probably costs me around $500 each year, and I'm lucky enough to only live 2 hours away, so we drive, and carpool. If you have to fly, or drive solo, or stay in a hotel room by yourself, those costs will climb pretty drastically.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 9:23:27 AM

I remember the catalog of stuff going on at Gencon. Sooo many different things, and then the sellers area. Good times, and I look forward to doing it again.
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:44:47 AM

Who is going and what events are you participating in? This will be our first year so we are unsure what SWM events we should sign up for. Do they all cost separately to play?
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:35:57 AM

Yep, each event you have to register separately for. Last year is $10 for the regular events, $20 for the Championships, and $30 for League or the Sealed events (which includes the 2 boosters, so basically the event itself is free for those, which is cool).

Quite a few of us don't do anything else except play SWMs all weekend. Maybe take a couple hours to go through the dealer hall, but you can certainly spend every waking moment in the Minis hall at the SWM tables. :D
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:30:52 PM

Do you have any suggestions for a noob to GenCon? My boy and I plan to attend and play only SWM. We might be there Thrusday but possibly not until Saturday depending if I can get the days off of work and the wife doesn't care hehe. When should we book our room? Also do you have a hotel you recommend that is reasonably close and affordable to the location?

Thanks for the help ThumbsUp