RegisterDonateLogin

Will grant you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden fortress.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Custom Minis FAQ (painting, sculpting, cutting and other mayhem) Options
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:27:13 AM
Groups: Member

Thanks botwt for the tipoff,
Knight Models has released a new range of armies!
The crowning glory? The separatist army for 127euro! BigGrin
www.knightmodels.com/category.php?id_category=12&p=3
definitely check it out, theyre expensive as, but the detail is worth it and the scale is spot on (with RS/CS)!
Darthbane53
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:48:48 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
anybody have any anatomy studies/green stuff minis theyve made? Ive recently acquired a large amount of greystuff (tamiya model putty, similar consistency to linseed putty) and am tempted to give sculpting a try... BigGrin

Actually yes! I made a Selacious Crumb entirely from green stuff, the scale was pretty close and it came out really good!
DarthZar94
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:58:26 PM

well to your shiney glaze darthbane53 there is a item used for that called dule coating...hope that helps with the painting lol its not much
CerousMutor
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:14:16 PM

Humbrol, Model & Craft Hobby Spray. Gives the perfect finish, and enhaneces detailing, no glaze.
R5Don4
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:18:41 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
http://www.knightmodels.com/category.php?id_category=12&p=2
Check out Knight Models for some great pewter minis; they even have boba fett! BigGrin
the pros are that these minis are highly detailed, the largest con though is that they are expensive, followed by being harder to customise...

Thanks to Botwt for the tip off on the latest release, by the by.

Kobayashimaru

Knight Models 30mm line
Here is my running thread over on Gamers on the Knight Models releases, and from time to time I even get the jump on Botwt with the new releases. I've bought all of the OT 30mm ones and they vary in assembly complexity.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:38:44 PM

@all,
thanks for the tip on the hobby spray; makes a real, noticeable difference to the finished greens! BigGrin

@ R5Don4,
Nice comparison thread; cant wait to see what those finished speeders look like
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:41:35 AM

Hi all,
Darth Vaughn and Imperator58 have made an awesome how-to video, for those who dont visit the WotC forums much anymore.

Part 1 link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7U2zqeYfak&feature=context&context=G235847bAUAAAAAAAAAA

part 2 link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwd3X0CyFaQ&feature=g-upl&context=G235847bAUAAAAAAAAAA

This webisode/podcast centres on the arduous task of finding/making figures into 1:52 scale, and its really well presented.

Great work guys, some handy tips in there for the rest of us, and great sound recording quality - its very clear (as is the picture). Well worth a look/listen, and definitely a handy tool or source of inspiration for customisers everywhere
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:10:35 AM

Howdy all,
I found another handy papercraft site, http://noturnosukhoi.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-max=2012-03-03T03:06:00-03:00&max-results=7

Theres a few handy PDFs there, including an ATXT and a 1:52 scale B wing.
Be sure to keep us all posted if you find any other freebies out there,
or if you make your own too. BigGrin
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 8:45:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEC7dsFlvIE

Proof that Tarkin studied his foe accurately, and made precise miniatures of every last one of them...
Seriously though, Cushing only seemed cooler after I saw him in this documentary.
qvos
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 12:15:22 PM

Hey All, I just want to thank you guys for putting this thread up. I know this has been up for a while . I must have overlooked it. Ive done a few of my own, Going back to about 5 or 6 years ago when I wanted a Quinlan Vos which I didn't have, But nothing like you guys have done. This thread is a great tool for everyone, and I hope to be getting back into Custumizing thanks to all of your pictures and instruction. Keep up the good work guys! Its Very InspiringBlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk !!!!
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 7:03:21 AM

You know how I was lamenting there not being a 1:50 scale B-wing?
Well... LAMENT NO MORE!
http://tcfgaming.com/store/
At the moment, they've got the Bwing, in 1:50 scale, for free! Its just missing the wings, but I have another version of a Bwing that I could use to complete this model sooner rather than later...
I'll be watching this one with great interest, as I already have blueprints for the Awing, Xwing, Ywing, Twing, Ewing, Droid Starfighters x 2, v19 and Vwing amongst others.

All waffling aside, this B wing model looks SCARILY COMPLEX!!! so it'll probably be a 5+ year wait for me to even attempt making a paper proof, let alone a plastic or mdf mock up...
The R2Units are pretty awesome, and easy to assemble. Great for customisers who dont want to shell out on cutting up plastic, and customisation is limitless!
markedman247
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 3:02:11 PM

Question:
I am working in a known Zabrak, however, I am having trouble with the tiny horns. I did well with Savage Oppress but really tiny horns I do have problems with (and related to True Sith facial ridges).
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:01:30 PM

@markedman247,
Cool; so new customs are in the works? BigGrin
I think there are a couple of approaches that come to my mind for the horn problem that you could try;
1. Scratchbuild the head of the zabrak(whatever you want facial horns on), using milliput or something. Have some .5mm-1mm gauge wire protrude from the top of the head. I personally used this technique to make a custom darth maul head, and have seen it used to make a Kerrigan, Queen of Blades mini (from starcraft). It is a VERY fiddlesome technique however.
2. You could use an existing mini, and taking some .5mm wire & pliers gently insert wire into the figures head. then greenstuff or whatever using the wires as an armature.

I'm sure whatever technique you use, the resulting mini will look great! BigGrin
hope this helps
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:31:40 AM

Hi all!
I found a great guide in the form of this website:
http://www.patrickkeith.com/2010/03/armatures.html
It details more armatures and how to make minis from scratch with minimal outlays (perfect for the hobby artist).
I'll be sure to follow the how to make a rig set up! BigGrin
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:50:04 AM

@all,
Parlez vous francis? well if you dont, this treasure trove of papermodels will be unintelligible... BigGrin
http://maquettes.hautetfort.com/index-7.html

most of their stuff is 1/66 scale, but its free. And coincidence maybe, but a lot of these models look like the ones that scam site Alice.whatever.com try to 'sell'...
Happy customising BigGrin

EDIT: The paper replika model LAAT is a little shorter and stubbier than my ARC 2.0 and LAAT 1.0 customs, but larger than the Revell LAAT kit (and somehow more detailed haha)
Clone Master
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:11:47 PM

This is some classic stuff. I've experimented with some of the techniques and find them to be great. I'll be checking this out more often.. thanx.
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:42:04 AM

Well it's taken me a while but I'm finally working on some customs. Kinda busy at work and home, but when I do have a little spare time I'll be doing what I can. ThumpUp

I'm working on some custom Zombie figure's for use in a Zombie Scenario. I bought a 50 pack of Zom's from one of our LGS's.

I'm also working on a Todo-360 custom and a KRONOS-327 custom. You can check them out here.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/7975/todo-360--techno-service-droid
http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/8558/kronos-327

I plan on posting some pic's as soon as I get them a little closer to being finished. Hopefully with some custom cards as well. Gotta get with surf_rider56 as he has been helping me out. Cool

Thanks to everyone for posting in this thread! ThumbsUp It was the kick in the butt I needed to get to work on my idea's. Wink

Thanks again guys and gals. BlooMilk
markedman247
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:33:37 PM

Any idea on how to do feathers? I am working on a Lomi Plo and I want to put about 4 feathers on the back. I have some wire but unsure how that's going to look.
WestTheChedderMonk
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 5:57:31 AM

Until recently I have not needed or wanted to use Greenstuff, but S&V and the new epics are definitely worth it! so how you find is the best way to work with it? You hands or do you use a tool of some type? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Darthbane53
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 6:51:50 AM

WestTheChedderMonk wrote:
Until recently I have not needed or wanted to use Greenstuff, but S&V and the new epics are definitely worth it! so how you find is the best way to work with it? You hands or do you use a tool of some type? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a section I wrote about it at the front of the thread, check it out!