RegisterDonateLogin

Bloominous beings are we...not this crude matter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Disruptive vs. Qui-Gon's CE Options
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 8:56:49 PM
Groups: Member

If a unique follower with a force rating dies within 6 squares of somebody that has disruptive, can another unique follower (with a force rating) within 6 squares of Qui-Gon, FS get its force points, assuming that the character with disruptive isn't within 6 squares of the living ally and Qui-Gon?

In other words, who does disruptive affect?

My guess is that the disruptive would have no effect, because the character who died isn't benefitting from the CE, it is the other follower within 6 of Qui-Gon.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 11:50:28 AM

I don't think it is within 6 squares of Qui-Ghost, it's within 6 squares of the defeated Unique force user.
Not sure if it's disrupted though.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:08:59 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Disruptive affects both commanders and followers. So if Qui-Gon is within 6 of a piece with disruptive, no one gets the force points. Additionally, any force user within 6 of a piece with disruptive could not benefit from the CE. However, that would not affect any OTHER non-unique force users who might meet the requirements of the CE.

FWIW, I agree that the range refers to the distance between the defeated character and the unique force user, but I could be wrong on that.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 9:58:33 AM

juice man wrote:
I don't think it is within 6 squares of Qui-Ghost, it's within 6 squares of the defeated Unique force user.

I don't believe the wording supports this conclusion.

As I read it, this is a standard range 6 CE, extendable by Mas/Mice. The defeated character can be anywhere, but either Qui-Gon or a mouse and the receiver must be within range of each other.

Also, I doubt the position of the defeated character has any bearing with regard to Disruptive.

Clarification please?

Sithborg
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 10:17:35 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I know, I've been thinking about this all weekend. Looking at the text hard.
juice man
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 10:41:02 AM

swinefeld wrote:
juice man wrote:

As I read it, this is a standard range 6 CE, extendable by Mas/Mice. The defeated character can be anywhere, but either Qui-Gon or a mouse and the receiver must be within range of each other.

Also, I doubt the position of the defeated character has any bearing with regard to Disruptive.

Clarification please?

WOW. Seemed clear the first several times I read it. Now it doesn't.
Wouldn't the defeated character be part of the CE? And thus Disrupted?
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 11:24:41 AM

juice man wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
juice man wrote:

Clarification please?

WOW. Seemed clear the first several times I read it. Now it doesn't.
Wouldn't the defeated character be part of the CE? And thus Disrupted?

The way I see it, the defeated character is merely a trigger. It neither provides nor receives the actual CE. Jakan has a similar CE as far as another defeated character triggering an effect between him and an ally, main difference is no range limit.

Another one is Gowk's CE. Does a follower get +4/+4 if it is out of Disruptive range, but the required ally within 6 is in the disruptive area? That ally is a condition for receiving the CE, but is not part of the communication channel.

It is an interesting question.
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 8:20:25 PM

I'm actually rethinking this a bit. I thought that disruptive wouldn't work on the condition character at first, but take a look at these.

Here's just a description of Qui-Gon's CE:
"Whenever a Unique follower with a Force rating is defeated by an enemy, a Unique follower with a Force rating within 6 squares gets the defeated character's remaining Force points"

Here's disruptive:
"Enemy commander effects have no effect (on enemies and allies alike) within 6 squares of this character.

Characters within 6 squares cannot receive the benefits (or the penalties) of enemy commander effects until they move out of range. An enemy commander within 6 squares has its commander effect suppressed until it moves out of range. (It still counts as a commander.)

A character who starts its turn outside this range and whose speed is modified by a commander effect continues to move at that speed for the rest of its turn, even if it comes within 6 squares of this character. Conversely, a character that begins its turn within range cannot have its speed modified by an enemy commander effect for the rest of its turn, even if it moves farther than 6 squares from this character."

I think that losing your Force points counts as a penalty, so disruptive would work.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:23:34 AM

Reading MC's post brings me back to my original thinking: Within 6 of the unique follower (It is like GOWK's CE. The ally must be within 6, not the commander.) and Disrupted.
Have any designers commented on this?
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:59:57 AM

Again, this is just my reading of it. It doesn't specify "a Unique follower within 6 squares of the defeated character". Without that kind of wording the range should counted from the commander. It's using the standard wording for range 6 CEs.

As to MC's penalty comment, it's kind of weird to argue that a dead character is being penalized by helping an ally. Wink

juice man
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:20:57 AM

Understood. It would be a better CE if it could go via Mouse Droid.
It just seems like it should work the other way. However, with this game seems like and should don't mix.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:22:12 AM

I'd side with swinefeld as the CE doesn't really affect the defeated character at all, the defeated character is just a condition applied to the target of the CE.

I see the main question stemming from gaining the defeated characters force points, if it was reworded to "gained a number of force points equal to the remaining force points of the defeated character" would there be any doubt - no because the only character actually affected by the CE would be the target.

It really depends on intent at this point.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:31:52 AM

Wow - lots of possible interpretations:

1. Recipient must be within 6 of defeated character; both recipient and defeated character are subjects of the CE
2. Recipient must be within 6 of defeated character; only the recipient is a subject of the CE
3. Recipient must be within 6 of Qui-Gon; both recipient and defeated character are subjects of the CE
4. Recipient must be within 6 of Qui-Gon; only the recipient is a subject of the CE

Swinefeld is arguing for #4. I lean toward #3 - it sounds like the defeated character is participating in the CE by giving its force points to the defeated character. But I wouldn't argue if it's #4 - it could go either way. I don't think #1 or #2 are right - "within 6" usually means "within 6 of this character".

===
EDIT: Ruling is below. Option #1 is correct.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:14:44 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Wow - lots of possible interpretations:

1. Recipient must be within 6 of defeated character; both recipient and defeated character are subjects of the CE
2. Recipient must be within 6 of defeated character; only the recipient is a subject of the CE
3. Recipient must be within 6 of Qui-Gon; both recipient and defeated character are subjects of the CE
4. Recipient must be within 6 of Qui-Gon; only the recipient is a subject of the CE

Swinefeld is arguing for #4. I lean toward #3 - it sounds like the defeated character is participating in the CE by giving its force points to the defeated character. But I wouldn't argue if it's #4 - it could go either way. I don't think #1 or #2 are right - "within 6" usually means "within 6 of this character".

#1/3 - Just to parse the wording a bit more, it does not say the defeated character grants it's Force points to the follower, it says the follower "gets" them. Quiggy is already One with the Force and is brokering the transfer. ;)

Lord Ball's rewording above puts it in perspective nicely in my view. Using "gets" saves some text, and the card is full as it is. :)

"within 6" usually means "within 6 of this character"

Exactly. Making an exception to that could be opening a big can of worms.
If the intent is #2, I'd say an errata is needed.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:22:47 AM

swinefeld wrote:
#1/3 - Just to parse the wording a bit more, it does not say the defeated character grants it's Force points to the follower, it says the follower "gets" them. Quiggy is already One with the Force and is brokering the transfer. ;)

Lord Ball's rewording above puts it in perspective nicely in my view. Using "gets" saves some text, and the card is full as it is. :)

I agree.

Defeated character clearly affected by the CE:
"...the defeated character grants a Unique follower with a Force rating within 6 squares its remaining Force points"

Defeated character clearly not affected by the CE:
"...a Unique follower with a Force rating within 6 squares gets Force points equal to the defeated character's remaining Force points"

Must await ruling from Sithborg (and the actual wording on the card):
"...a Unique follower with a Force rating within 6 squares gets the defeated character's remaining Force points"

juice man
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:30:42 AM

"Whenever a Unique follower with a Force rating is defeated by an enemy, a Unique follower with a Force rating within 6 squares gets the defeated character's remaining Force points"

This is what I see. Replace the second "Unique follower with a Force rating" with "beneficiary" and you get;

"Whenever a Unique follower with a Force rating is defeated by an enemy, a beneficiary within 6 squares gets the defeated character's remaining Force points"

Wow, wow, wow. My head hurts.

MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:02:07 PM

I think it's #3, like flyingarrow, but I don't know...
I really thought that this was going to be one of those 1-3 response questions, but I was wrong. Looks like there's a lot more explaining than I thought...
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:58:19 PM

I like reading the different opinons. Nice and civilized.BigGrin
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:56:20 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Ruling #1: Both characters must be able to benefit from CE's for the CE to work. I'm looking at this like the Swap CEs, only in this case, there is a trigger and it involves Force points.

Ruling #2: This CE is rangeless, much like GOWK's CE. Thus it is not extendable by Mas or Relay Orders. This is based on the first ruling. You have the two characters being affected, and no break to imply a third party (Quiggy). So the beneficiary of the defeated character's Force Points must be within 6 of the defeated character.

Sidenote: English can suck for rules.

Sidenote 2: This will be added to the mini-FAQ when I do some revisions to both the Mini-Faq and Faq this weekend.
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:18:51 PM

So the answer is #1?
I made the mistake of using #3 in one of my games, not that it would've made any difference, because Jar Jar already had a ton of FP.
Thanks for the ruling, Sithborg! I agree with that sidenote #1.