RegisterDonateLogin

Has become self-aware--don't tell Shinja.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

As of V-Set 4, How would you Rate the factions, top to bottom? Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:05:01 PM
Groups: Member

I looked around in different forums on here and Gamers, didn't see anything like this, so .....

Gen Con's come and gone, Reginals, Tournaments and Championships played so whats the consensus on where the factions stand? I saw a lot of Sep and Vong squads in my local Reginal and I've seen the discussions on what won in general but is there a feeling on who's moving up/moving down in the pecking order? I'm curious who needs help from the next few V-Sets.
Weeks
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:01:03 PM

My personal opinion.

1. Republic: Tons of options for any playstyle, best movement too
2. Imperials: Lots of toys to pair with Thrawn (the best commander in the game), also Ysalamiri wrecks a lot of stuff
3. Old Republic: Bastilla is a big time player, a grab bag full of mid-range attackers and commanders
4. Seps: San Hill, Lancer, New Grievous, Whorm and Droids, Poggle the Lesser, Darth Sideous. Pick 3 of those and win.
5. New Republic: Strong Disruptive options, Solid movement, mid-high cost Nova pieces.
6. Sith: Revan Swap, Very high damage per hit, High cost pieces.
7. Mandalorians: Swarm of good attack shooters, everything from Scum & Villainy
8. Rebels: Cntl+c, Cntl+p anything from 2009 meta, its all still true, dont sleep on them they are still able to win
9. Vong: Slow aliens that die, problem is their only good squad wants you to kill them.
countrydude82487
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:05:18 PM

1 Imperial :Thrawn still dominates the scene, and with double ysalamiri they now can repel bastilla.
2 Republic: Many Options as weeks said. Alot of movement and power when played right
3Seps: Lancer is still the gatekeeper to me. Poggle bombs are coming up quickly though to go along with it
4 Old Republic : Bastilla and Aton/ carth kick butt and have very few squads that can get a good hit on them.
5 Sith: as weeks said, but including all of their new commander effects and exar ghost.
6 New Republic: Gaining more options as the game continues. Jaina and some of the new jedi are pretty good. Not just solo charge anymore but not much else either.
7 Rebels: though they have not gained alot to make them more competitive they were the oldest most competitive faction and still have the competitive squads they once had. Pluss the new "Iconic" figures that allow you to swap them.
8 Mandalorian: Getting better than how WOTC left them, but at the same time they need more help. The last set was a big boost for them however.
9 VOng: though the Yommask gave them hope, i beleive that the vset team has kind of left them floating where they are. Nen Yim was a big boost too along with the quednaks, but the fact still remains that they are not tearing up the meta.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:25:15 PM

I'm totally happy having this discussion again, but there was a similar thread a couple of months ago - http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11511 That was before the current set, and back then I thought:

Quote:
1. Republic
Have at least three really strong squad bases - GOWK/Mace, Yobuck/General Skywalker, Panaka of Theed/Naboo stuff - all of which made the top 8 at GenCon this year. Great movement with R2-D2 Astromech, original Panaka, and Foul Moudama.

2. Imperial
Have a really good infrastructure to use with non-uniques, with Pallaeon, Mas Amedda, both Thrawns, and lots of other useful tech pieces. Lots of ways to go, with Echani Handmaidens, Storm Commandos, and other non-unique swarms.

3. Old Republic
Have been performing solidly with Bastila, Atton 'Jaq' Rand, and Carth Onasi ORS - and Satele Shan and Bao-Dur promise to be two great additions from Scum and Villainy.

4. Sith
Their stock has been rising steadily with the v-sets - it'd be good to see some other top squads as well as the Revan/Kaan/Jaq one that's been doing so well, but they got a ton of new pieces in Scum and Villainy, and it'll be interesting to see how they shake out.

5. New Republic
They are hindered by Mace being popular, as he's such an effective anti-melee piece and his Force Absorb neutralises Mara Jade, Jedi, who was their spearhead. But they still have a lot of tools with Dodonna, Disruptive, and access to Evade.

6. Rebels
I'm interested to see if the new Han is enough to raise their stocks a bit. Red Squadron Aces are a nice new option from the v-sets as well. And urbanjedi won a tough Regional with the 2010 Rebels, and they have lots of tricks like cheap disruptive. New Yoda might be helpful too.

7. Separatists
They have been getting stale - the Lancer has been getting heavily neutered - but they have other tricks like droid swarms with Whorm.

8. Mandalorians
I'm interested to see what Fenn Shysa and Mandalore the Vindicated do for them. They are a bit one dimensional with mainly shooters, and no movement breakers.

9. Vong
Super effective against Jedi, but one-dimensional with pretty much all melee. The nom bomb squad has been hurt by the introduction of Momaw Nadon as a Lobot option.

Since then, I think Separatists are the big winners - I'd jump them up to 3 or 4 on the list with their recent additions. I'd jump New Republic ahead of Sith now too - droids getting better is a problem for Sith, since a lot of their stuff works best against living enemies. I'd still have Republic, Imperial, OR as 1, 2, 3, but I think 1 through 5 are super close now. So now, I think:

1. Republic
2. Imperial
3. Old Republic
4. Separatists
5. New Republic
6. Sith
7. Rebels
8. Mandalorians
9. Vong
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:26:03 PM

I'd seen that many thought the Rebels had sunk quite a bit, and while I never thought the Mandos were never better than mid level, I was under the impression the Vong had stepped up to upper mid range; they sure beat the heck out of me last game; then again the way I rolled, my Grandmother could've beat me with her eyes closedRollEyes
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:40:17 PM

1. Imperials
2. Republic
3. Separatists
4. Old Republic
5. Sith
6. New Republic
7. Rebels
8. Mandalorians
9. Yuuzhan Vong

Same as countrydude82487 haha
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:11:45 PM

If we aggregate the six lists submitted so far, including Sashlon and Ultrastar's below, the results are:
1= Republic
1= Imperial
3 Separatists
4 Old Republic
5 Sith
6 New Republic
7 Rebels
8 Mandalorians
9 Yuuzhan Vong

surf_rider56 wrote:
I'd seen that many thought the Rebels had sunk quite a bit, and while I never thought the Mandos were never better than mid level, I was under the impression the Vong had stepped up to upper mid range; they sure beat the heck out of me last game; then again the way I rolled, my Grandmother could've beat me with her eyes closedRollEyes

I was keeping stats of the Regionals this year, and the Vong did really well at some of the early Regionals. They won the Missouri Regional with a Nom bomb squad, and two Jedi Hunter squads placed at the Pacific Northwest Regional. In a big NZ tournament (LowerHuttACon in March 2012), Vong squads came in 2nd and 3rd as well. They can be dangerous, but they're limited; the Nom bomb squads are in trouble if the other squad has Lobot and can bring in Momaw Nadon, while the Jedi Hunters squads are super effective in a Jedi heavy meta but struggle against other squad types like shooter based squads. At LowerHuttACon, the other squads in the top 5 were all Mace squads, so it was ideal conditions for the Vong squads to thrive.

I also think the Mandalorians are pretty decent now - the gap between the best faction, and the Mandalorians, who are down in 7th or 8th on peoples' rankings so far, is much narrower than it was before the v-sets, and they can compete against lots of different builds now.
Sashlon
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:33:44 PM

Here's my list for what its worth;

1. Republic
2. Imperial
3. Separatists
4. Old Republic
5. Rebels
6. Sith
7. New Republic
8. Yuuzhan Von
9. Mandalorians

BlooMilk
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:07:08 PM

For me as of now its....

1. Separatists
2. Imperial
3. Republic
4. Old Republic
5. Sith
6. Rebels
7. New Republic
8. Mandalorians
9. Vong
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:23:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Why are vong still at the bottom, or near the bottom? I don't really play any more, mostly just read about this game and collect, so my understanding of meta is entirely based on what people report here... But on paper the vong coordinator looks like it should have brought them up to the top. Combined that with the fact that the 3 top squads sound like they should have trouble against a vong squad (no ABM for bastilla, nom bombs vs yoda and lancers, ss against death shots, etc).
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:07:37 AM

adamb0nd wrote:
Why are vong still at the bottom, or near the bottom? I don't really play any more, mostly just read about this game and collect, so my understanding of meta is entirely based on what people report here... But on paper the vong coordinator looks like it should have brought them up to the top. Combined that with the fact that the 3 top squads sound like they should have trouble against a vong squad (no ABM for bastilla, nom bombs vs yoda and lancers, ss against death shots, etc).

The problem is that most Nom Bomb squads are hardly competitive anymore. You can't throw a bunch of 4pt workers at an squad anymore and win. The reason is that most top tier squads have Lobot. It is really easy to bring in Momaw Nadon/Treadwell droid to completely nerf a person's squad. A lot of squads in Gencon also had HK-47 Assasin Droid, who has disruptive and that really hurts Nom Bombs. Maybe if the Vong got a peice that lessened Lobots stranglehold on the faction's best squad build would we see them more in competitive play. As it is now, there are just to many options to counter the Vong Nom Bomb swarm. I have seen a Nom Bomb squad with Cad Bane do well, but that squad is a bit to fragile to withstand other top tier squads.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:15:55 AM

adamb0nd wrote:

Great question, its a quandry seeing as, unlike the rebels, they have been the recipient of a LOT of attention in almost every vset.

I think it comes down to what the vong are
Force immune MELEE figures.

They didn't use guns, only one Vong fig actually has a shooter (Nom) and in order to preserve their flavour that's been adhered to. However, as Han said so succinctly in the new hope, guns win in starwars ("hokey religions [, large amphistaphs and vong bugs] are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.).

So its been a slow build. They are certainly better than they have ever been, no doubt, but the irresistible vong force, the unstoppable army of vong doom that everyone expects hasn't materialized yet.
They have the biggest ground to make up as far as any of the poor factions because the operate on a build model that rests on the weakest aspect os SWM combat. No force powers and no guns.

However, there are some interesting things in Vset 4 but, more than that, Vset 5 really turns the screw and we might finally see vong warriors start to break ground at top tables.

My ranking is this

1. Separatists
2. Republic
3. Imperial
4. Old Republic
5. Sith
6. Rebels
7. New Republic
8. Mandalorians
9. Vong

I would like to add, though, that i believe the differences in the factions are closer than they probably ever have been.
markedman247
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:26:50 AM

Battle Ready might be an interesting idea in the Vong.
jhc36
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:29:05 AM

markedman247 wrote:
Battle Ready might be an interesting idea in the Vong.

Laugh at least my games would be over sooner. Wink

It may just be me, but as much as I hate on the competitiveness of the Yuuzhan Vong, I don't necessarily agree that they are last place. That opinion may just be skewed because of the sheer number of games I play as the Yuuzhan Vong.

1. Imperial
2. Republic
3. Separatists
4. Old Republic
5. Rebels
6. Sith
7. New Republic
8. Yuuzhan Vong
9. Mandalorians

TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:08:03 PM

Here are the average ratings of everyone's opinions so far.

1= Imperial: 1.75
1= Republic: 1.75
3 Separatist: 2.75
4 Old Republic: 3.75
5 Sith: 5.5
6 New Republic: 6.25
7 Rebel: 6.375
8 Mandalorian: 8.125
9 Yuuzhan Vong: 8.75

I'm a little mystified about why the New Republic are so low. With the rise of the Separatists, and probably less Mace around, I think they're strong again. They have lots of useful tools, like Dodonna, Disruptive, sturdy pieces, and good ranged defense (Wedge, stealth on Mara and Ganner, Absorb Energy on Corran), and I think they can deal with a lot of situations.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 1:10:34 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Here are the average ratings of everyone's opinions so far.

1= Imperial: 1.75
1= Republic: 1.75
3 Separatist: 2.75
4 Old Republic: 3.75
5 Sith: 5.5
6 New Republic: 6.25
7 Rebel: 6.375
8 Mandalorian: 8.125
9 Yuuzhan Vong: 8.75

I'm a little mystified about why the New Republic are so low. With the rise of the Separatists, and probably less Mace around, I think they're strong again. They have lots of useful tools, like Dodonna, Disruptive, sturdy pieces, and good ranged defense (Wedge, stealth on Mara and Ganner, Absorb Energy on Corran), and I think they can deal with a lot of situations.

Ok, so playing the devil's advocate, has the V-Set crew looked at the inequity existing with lets say the last four and decided what they need to be competative. As Hutt says, the NR seems to have lots of good abilities, the Mndos and Vong have gotten a Lot of V-Set love.

What do the New Republic, Rebs, Mandos and Vong lack? Are the Mandos and Vongs inherit lack of Force Powers that crippling?
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 1:54:14 PM

With those bottom 4 factions, this is what I think (and a lot of it is just me aggregating what other people have said on Bloomilk or on Sith Holonetwork News):

New Republic - I think they can hang with the top five factions just fine, and I'd personally jump them ahead of Sith in the pecking order. They have some really good tech pieces - Dodonna and R2-D2/C-3PO are both great. One thing that was bought up on Sith Holonetwork News last week was that some of their newer pieces, like Corran Horn Jedi Master, might be slightly overcosted. The huge number of Mace squads have been negating Mara Jade Jedi over the past year, but she could be back in action depending on how the meta shakes out. The main thing that the v-sets have given them is more options, so it's not just Ganner/Mara squads the whole time; they have a much deeper bench now, and can build around other pieces like Anakin JM.

Rebel - I'm mainly repeating what Echo24 says, as I don't really play Rebels. According to him, they are squishy, have low attacks, their damage output hasn't kept up with most of the other factions, and they can struggle against Bastila when she cancels out their Commander Effects. Their big hope is to out-tech and out-activate other squads, but even that's hard to do against, for example, a beefy GOWK/Mace squad where they just can't get through their high hits points and defense fast enough. I do like the Red Squadron Ace squads though - we've been seeing a lot of them lately in our local competition, and they've been performing really well.

Mandalorian - I actually like Mandos a lot now - all the four new pieces are a big help, especially Mandalore the Vindicated who's a really beefy Disruptive piece with a lot of damage output. It's hard to make good squads with him though, as most of the good Mando support pieces are relatively squishy like Scouts, Gunslingers, Gunsmiths, and Scientists, and they can't hang in with him for long enough. They're almost exclusively a non-melee faction, whereas most of the factions rated above them have more of a balance of melee and non-melee pieces. But I think they're good enough now to be a threat to most other squads - they've come a long way in the v-sets.

Yuuzhan Vong - their two main squad types both have counters - Nom bombs get pwned by Momaw Nadon and Jedi Hunters are great against Jedi but struggle against most other things. It's a difficult balancing act with Vong, because they're already so good against Jedi that they could end up dominating the meta if they do ever manage to hang in with heavy shooter squads. They might always end up being the low ranked spoiler faction.

I'm sure the design teams are aware that some factions are still lagging - the Rebels, New Republic, and Mandos all got a lot of love last set, and it's entirely possibly that there's still a great Anakin Solo or new Han squad out there waiting to be discovered.
jhc36
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 10:24:01 AM

Somebody has to be last. Personally I'm happy where the Yuuzhan Vong are ranked. Could they be a bit better? Absolutely. Do they need to be number 1? No. It's kinda nice showing up to major tournaments and be one of the only ones playing them. I enjoy playing spoiler sometimes.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 10:55:28 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jhc36 wrote:
Somebody has to be last. Personally I'm happy where the Yuuzhan Vong are ranked. Could they be a bit better? Absolutely. Do they need to be number 1? No. It's kinda nice showing up to major tournaments and be one of the only ones playing them. I enjoy playing spoiler sometimes.

Agreed. Hate squads shouldn't necessarily be competitive against everything. Vong is nearly a hate-faction (against force users). Good to have them to keep Force users from running crazy, but I don't need to see a tier 1 Vong squad.