RegisterDonateLogin

Spreading like the Rakghoul Disease in an Ewok Village.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Leveling Up Minis? Adding RPG elements to SWM Options
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:09:44 PM
Groups: Member

corranhorn wrote:
Gungan Batman Clone wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
adamb0nd wrote:
The CE rules are the ones that I use. You'r right they are complicated, but it is very realistic. It is like playing a mini version of KOTOR.

Kotor is based off of star wars saga edition ;), which is a great RPG. I feel like if i'm going to go through the trouble of learning CE, i might as well just use the Saga edition rules.

Actually, it's based on the Revised Core Edition, Saga's precursor. Saga hadn't come out yet when the KotOR games were released.

What are these two games? Can they be played with minis? They sound interesting.

Go for Saga. RCR is inferior to it, but Saga is amazing. And, yeah, in fact they are specifically designed around minis! BigGrin

They are role-playing games (a bit like D&D if you're unfamilar with the term).

Cool! Are they for Star Wars Minis? Do you have a link to the rules or something?

Yeah, these Star Wars minis! BigGrin Saga was the RPG companion to the minis under WotC. I don't have a link to the rules, since that wuld be illegal, but you can find the core book on Amazon/Ebay if you're interested. It gets a bit steep in price since Saga's been out of print for a few years now.

Neat! Thanks corranhorn!
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:16:30 PM

Katarn07 wrote:
That is more clear. I was confused about that algorithm. So upon leveling up to level 2, I have five points to spend. Would commander effects be considered a feat as well? And can I save some or all of those points for my next level up?

Yes you can choose a commander effect INSTEAD of an ability. Your character has a maximum of 2 commander effects, unless you are a Noble, a Civilian class, then you can have 3. No you can't save the points. And in this way it does not act like KOTOR. At level 2 you can choose ONE ability WORTH 5 points, not any number of abilities that add up to 5 points. And there are 10 levels you can get up to. So whenever you level up, look at the chart. Sometimes you don't get new special abilities every level. But, you can always upgrade your attack, defense, and HP every level up. Again refer to the rules, in the PC supplement the first 9 pagesScared should answer all your questions. (Don't worry, all of the pages have pictures which make the document seem longerWoot )
corranhorn
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:33:00 PM

corranhorn wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
adamb0nd wrote:
The CE rules are the ones that I use. You'r right they are complicated, but it is very realistic. It is like playing a mini version of KOTOR.

Kotor is based off of star wars saga edition ;), which is a great RPG. I feel like if i'm going to go through the trouble of learning CE, i might as well just use the Saga edition rules.

Actually, it's based on the Revised Core Edition, Saga's precursor. Saga hadn't come out yet when the KotOR games were released.

What are these two games? Can they be played with minis? They sound interesting.

Go for Saga. RCR is inferior to it, but Saga is amazing. And, yeah, in fact they are specifically designed around minis! BigGrin

They are role-playing games (a bit like D&D if you're unfamilar with the term).

Cool! Are they for Star Wars Minis? Do you have a link to the rules or something?

Yeah, these Star Wars minis! BigGrin Saga was the RPG companion to the minis under WotC. I don't have a link to the rules, since that wuld be illegal, but you can find the core book on Amazon/Ebay if you're interested. It gets a bit steep in price since Saga's been out of print for a few years now.

Neat! Thanks corranhorn!

If you want to hear some more about it take a trip here. I have no doubt you'll work out which poster is me. BigGrin
Katarn07
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:52:07 PM

Why do some things have a negative cost? Why would I want to downgrade my pieces? And there are things that cost 2, 3, and 4. How would I obtain those feats if I must take my character's level plus three every time and buy one feat for that exact cost? Just trying to make sense of this. I have preconceived ideas of how to level up characters from various RPG video games and this is just different.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:55:08 AM

Katarn07 wrote:
Why do some things have a negative cost? Why would I want to downgrade my pieces? And there are things that cost 2, 3, and 4. How would I obtain those feats if I must take my character's level plus three every time and buy one feat for that exact cost? Just trying to make sense of this. I have preconceived ideas of how to level up characters from various RPG video games and this is just different.

Why do some things have a negative cost?
Some things have a negative effect on your character. Like taking speed 0 that doesn't help you at all, so your character's cost is lowered.

Why would I want to downgrade my pieces?
To stay in character. Say your character becomes a Jedi and now he has a lightsaber. He gains melee attack which hinders you, so he gets a negative cost. In the current campaign that I am playing I am a Jedi Mediator. I start by not having melee attack, but at level 2 I am forced to gain melee attack, so I now get a negative cost.

And there are things that cost 2, 3, and 4. How would I obtain those feats if I must take my character's level plus three every time and buy one feat for that exact cost?
You can choose to take a power lower than your level if you want, but the higher cost powers tend to be more powerful.
Here's a simple chart to remember what you can get.

level Maximum cost of the power you can get
1 4
2 5
3 6
4 7
5 8
6 9
7 10
8 11
9 12
10 13
After you reach a certain level, all powers are available to you. I think for my mediator it is level 7. I am currently a level 3 Jedi Mediator. I will post a custom of him so you can see what that looks like. The character is called Tamius Reshi Harak.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:06:01 PM

Here's my character. Also I forgot to mention. Unique characters cut all costs of abilities in half when adding them to your stats. So for example, you are at level 1, and you want opportunist which is at level 5. You don't cut its cost in half to get it. You still have to wait till at least level 2 to get it. http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/13043/tamius-reshi-harak
phyles
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:18:39 PM

I am currently involved in something similar. But we started with non-uniques, divided up all the special abilities and force powers between 4 levels, ranging from low to super. When you kill an enemy character you get that characters points added to your pool, low abilities cost 50 kill points and they go up 50 K.P.'s for every level, You than adjust your characters cost accordingly, low increasing by 3 points, medium 6, high 9, and super 12.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:56:02 PM

phyles wrote:
I am currently involved in something similar. But we started with non-uniques, divided up all the special abilities and force powers between 4 levels, ranging from low to super. When you kill an enemy character you get that characters points added to your pool, low abilities cost 50 kill points and they go up 50 K.P.'s for every level, You than adjust your characters cost accordingly, low increasing by 3 points, medium 6, high 9, and super 12.

That's an interesting way to do it. In our game we start as 4 point characters. But then immediately we level up to 15 point characters by adding HP, Defense, and Attack.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:17:15 PM

Katarn07
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:55:39 PM

Thanks for sharing the progression. It's neat to see your character's growth. Skills have no use in SWM's skirmish style combat, do they? They only affect the RPG story telling aspects, correct?
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:08:48 PM

Katarn07 wrote:
Thanks for sharing the progression. It's neat to see your character's growth. Skills have no use in SWM's skirmish style combat, do they? They only affect the RPG story telling aspects, correct?

True, most of them don't apply. But, one of my skills is heal injury which allows me to heal 20 points of damage IN BETWEEN rounds. So I don't have to waste my attacks using heal 20. This power works the same as heal 20 accept it comes between rounds. There are a few others that may help. Like Use the Force, you automatically get +2 to any dice rolls involved in Force Powers.