RegisterDonateLogin

Won't try to frighten you with its sorcerer's ways.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SWMplay.com Options
SWMplay
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 7:47:21 PM
Groups: Member

Hi all,

After not playing for eight years because I couldn't find anyone to play with I have made an online version of Star Wars miniatures and I'm now looking for ALPHA testers :)
Website is www.swmplay.com

At the moment you can only choose from 3 teams and fight the AI (Jabba and his bounty hunters).

If enough interest is shown I will complete it and add multiplayer. Which I would really like to do so I can play! BigGrin

If you play and find a bug please give me a detailed report of what happened, or I can't fix it Angry

James

Here is a screenshot
Dr Daman
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 7:59:59 PM

This looks awesome!

Jonnyb815
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 9:10:12 PM

Thanks but whats the big plus over this than Vassal? Vassal is java based and has all the minis.I have have a hard time finding something better than Vassal this late into the game.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 9:23:49 PM

You can play against AI.
Amadeus
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 9:30:15 PM

Looks awesome! One thing that immediately stands out to me from the screenshot that I like is that the background of pieces are transparent. No more moving pieces to check if they are on cover!
SWMplay
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 9:41:25 PM

Having the figures transparent was an initial idea I had.

I do have some ideas on how to make it better than Vassal (I do explain on my website why I think I can make something better than vassal) - mainly structured tournaments and easier ways of playing against other players - something I had real problems with when I first tried using vassal.
darthwhovian
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 1:11:33 AM

Very generous of you as was DarthRattlehead's Minicron app! What I and others I know would KILL for a Iphone version!! Nice work btw:-)
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 1:48:15 AM

This looks like the makings of a cool platform, but I can't figure out how to move my characters on easy mode.
SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:29:29 AM

This is great! Thanks!
The only thing I might suggest, for right now, is putting the instructions somewhere. Such as "m" for move and "a" for attack. As it is, I kind of had to figure it out on my own.

Also, when playing on Easy and Boba Fett was about to take a turn, I got this:
Code:

of  Step Event0
for object obj_game_controller:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 0.active(100025, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_game_controller_Step_0
############################################################################################
SWMplay
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 3:42:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback - my brother only played the game once so he wants a tutorial, and I think that it would solve a lot of problems as well.

IPhone version? Might be a bit difficult but what about an Ipad version? That I have set it up to do.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

As for the error message I am working on that right now :)

Once I get the bugs out of the AI I will then finish up the REBEL STORM figures and then work on the multiplayer part.

James
SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 4:38:11 PM

Another glitch: some of the Rebel soldiers on Medium aren't usable. I don't know if the error message will help, but here it is:
Code:

of Draw Event
for object obj_game_controller:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100305.force_points(100079, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_game_controller_Draw_64
############################################################################################
SWMplay
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 7:48:45 PM

V0.0.1.9
Rebel soldiers error has been fixed and I think I have fixed the other error - if it happens again I need more information, for example which round was it, how many figures are alive/dead from each side.

James
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 11:16:31 PM

Tried a game on easy, got the fatal error message (same as above) in the middle of round 2 after a heavy stormtrooper attacked IG-88. Only figure dead at that point was Greedo.

Game issues I noticed:

- Sometimes my units would randomly reactivate in the middle of the round and could take another turn
- The northern door in the rancor pit did not open (had a heavy stomtrooper standing on the right corner)
- Greedo's Cunning Attack did not work (He attacked an unactivated probe droid and hit, but only did 10 damage).
- There was no option to use the Imperial Officer's CE
- In the middle of round 2, the game rerolled initiative, but did not advance the round or change the character's activation status

Rules issues I noticed:

- The game does not allow you to move through allied squares
- The Heavy Stormtrooper is lacking Heavy Weapon and can freely move and attack
- Recon does not seem to work as I was only given 1 die roll for initiative when my probe droid had LoS to an enemy.
- The Probe Droid is a large unit, not a medium
- There is no option to combine fire

Other

- The battle log is very hard to read. Having a dedicated text area would be nice.
- I'd like the ability to be able to scroll on the map or zoom in/out as in the current state, I can only see areas focused around my units.
- Having constant, visible HP and FP would be good to have, on both the minis on the board and on the activation markers.

In any case, I'm still quite impressed with what you've done so far and I hope my feedback can be somewhat useful.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 11:41:33 PM

There is a bug list of known issues here:
http://www.swmplay.com/bugs.php
SWMplay
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 2:53:16 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
Tried a game on easy, got the fatal error message (same as above) in the middle of round 2 after a heavy stormtrooper attacked IG-88. Only figure dead at that point was Greedo.

Game issues I noticed:
- Sometimes my units would randomly reactivate in the middle of the round and could take another turn
Okay, I really need to keep testing myself and work this one out :(
- The northern door in the rancor pit did not open (had a heavy stomtrooper standing on the right corner)
Fixed, it was a programming error.
- Greedo's Cunning Attack did not work (He attacked an unactivated probe droid and hit, but only did 10 damage).
blasted, I thought that ability worked so I will have to recheck that.
- There was no option to use the Imperial Officer's CE
On my list of known bugs at http://www.swmplay.com/bugs.php
- In the middle of round 2, the game rerolled initiative, but did not advance the round or change the character's activation status
I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Rules issues I noticed:

- The game does not allow you to move through allied squares
On my list of known bugs at http://www.swmplay.com/bugs.php
- The Heavy Stormtrooper is lacking Heavy Weapon and can freely move and attack
Absolute screw up by me, will need to go back and fix it.
- Recon does not seem to work as I was only given 1 die roll for initiative when my probe droid had LoS to an enemy.
Recon does work and the dice is rolled twice with the higher dice taken, I need to explain this.
- The Probe Droid is a large unit, not a medium
I honestly did not know this :)
- There is no option to combine fire
The option of combine fire is there but I really need a tutorial to show people how to use it.

Other

- The battle log is very hard to read. Having a dedicated text area would be nice.
I have spent hours thinking about this as I have never been happy with it, I will keep thinking about it.
- I'd like the ability to be able to scroll on the map or zoom in/out as in the current state, I can only see areas focused around my units.
Holding the right mouse button down will move the map around, zooming will be too hard to do - I do have the mini map up the top.
- Having constant, visible HP and FP would be good to have, on both the minis on the board and on the activation markers.
Excellant suggestion and one that will be implemented.

In any case, I'm still quite impressed with what you've done so far and I hope my feedback can be somewhat useful.

Thanks for the feedback :)
kitfisto10
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 3:40:06 AM

I have played a little bit, and I encountered a few bugs. I found some of that same ones as EmporerDragon, so will not repeat those here.

The turn problem:
When I choose to move any character 12 squares, after I have finished movement, I click “end phase” I can then select a different character and then click “end turn.” In effect, this allows me to move one character while activating a different character.

The problem does not occur when I choose to move six and then move six or any other kind of activation available. (attack, then move, move, then attack, or just attack or just move 6)

The problem also occurs when I use Vader’s force move after moving him 12 squares

I have only played the imperial squad so far.

Greedo Death Glitch:
In the middle of Round 2 I moved my Heavy Stormtrooper 6 squares so I could shoot Greedo. I was shooting through my characters, so Greedo had cover. I attacked Greedo, and moved my mouse over his square to see his stats. His stats popped up, Greedo disappeared (the shot killed him) but his stats would not go away. I could not click any characters, either on the board or in the bottom menu. I could only click “end turn.” After my opponent went, Greedo’s stats still floated above my cursor, but I could continue with normal play. I could not look at anyone elses stats because Greedo’s would not go away.

Edit: The stat box that is following my cursor around has Greedo's HP recorded as -10/30.

I am going to download your update and start a new game because this stat problem is making it harder to play.

I am very impressed with work you have done so far and I am happy to keep playtesting.
kitfisto10
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 3:52:18 AM

Another bug to add, I was still trying out a few things before I ended my game. The third round started, the AI won initiative, activated two characters. I then moved my probe droid to open a door, and then was going to move Vader 6 squares to be adjacent to IG-88. IG-88 was at the top of the flight of stairs on the lower right hand side of the map. When I clicked to move into the sixth square of my move, just below IG-88, I received this error.

of Step Event0
for object obj_character:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 0.name(100052, -2147483648)
at gml_Script_scr_attacking

stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_attacking (line 0)
gml_Object_obj_character_Step_0

adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 5:48:48 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Brilliant. Will check this out tonight. Thanks!
SWMplay
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 2:01:24 PM

If you can read this please wait for version 0.0.2.0 to be released - about 15 hours from now.

Kitfisto10 - thank you VERY much for the Greedo glitch - I couldn't reproduce this error but your explanation has allowed me to reproduce it :) (I didn't realise that I had to have my mouse over greedo as he died).

Thank you to all that are helping me fix the bugs - I can't do this all this on my own as both programming and testing takes up way too much time.
SWMplay
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:18:35 AM

kitfisto10 wrote:
Another bug to add, I was still trying out a few things before I ended my game. The third round started, the AI won initiative, activated two characters. I then moved my probe droid to open a door, and then was going to move Vader 6 squares to be adjacent to IG-88. IG-88 was at the top of the flight of stairs on the lower right hand side of the map. When I clicked to move into the sixth square of my move, just below IG-88, I received this error.

of Step Event0
for object obj_character:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 0.name(100052, -2147483648)
at gml_Script_scr_attacking

stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_attacking (line 0)
gml_Object_obj_character_Step_0

Took me long enough to solve this one, Darth Vader had 'rolled' badly against IG88's attack of opportunity and was going to reroll.

I'm hitting the sack as I'm too tired to go on. I have fixed 8 of the 10 fixes I was doing but can't stay awake :)
I will release the next version sometime tomorrow.