RegisterDonateLogin

The other Chosen One.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

It's becoming bland... Options
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:44:14 AM
Groups: Member

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured I would play it safe and post it in the general discussion, I am sorry if it doesn't belong here.

A small group of gamers and I are a pocket of gamers here in Illinois. We have 4 usual players and maybe 10 players total. Recently, a few of us in the group have been getting burnt out on SWM, whether is from have a losing streak, seeing the same teams over (and over, and over, and over), or just not having fun with the game. I am trying to keep the group alive, but it's becoming increasingly difficult. We're the only people (that we know of) in the Quad Cities, Illinois, that play. I've tried going on road-trip to unite some players, but there are none to be found.

I guess my question is, is there anything I can do to rekindle the life in the game? Most of the games we play are 3-way matches. Are there any neat homegame rules people use in these kind of matches? What are some thing you folks do to not burn yourselves out on SWM?

Thanks much
Dylan aka Darth Reignir
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:01:21 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

On seeing the same teams... try simulated booster games? Randomly draw pieces and build squads from what is drawn. Try surprise synergy... each person builds 2 100-pt teams. Each person selects 1 100-pt team from the other person and combine it with 1 of their own (the one their opponent did not select).

If you're not already on the list, make sure you're getting the Destiny of the Force cards that are being released this month.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:01:28 AM

This is a common occurrence, I can relate totally.

Here are a couple ideas.

Try new play formats like Mass Combat or Dynamic Duo, or theme teams.

Use the new V-set stats everyone worked on!

Spend a couple of sessions creating your own custom minis to breath fresh life into your local games. This is what I’m doing. I am using D&D minis, Heroclix, and other minis to create my own set to play with my friends here at home.

Not to whore myself, but perhaps adding some new custom maps to the mix may freshen things up as well! Wouldn’t hurt to look at some of these as a lot of them will be made legal for organized play soon.

http://www.adventurers-atlas.com/brand/armoredcartographers/
Darth_Ewok_Fett
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:10:14 AM

SWminiverse has lots of diffent build options they use for there league play ask them I bet they'd share them.

We use the Minimanager to create random squad that force some really interesting games. We set it at 200 points and mix and match the factions as it randomizes!
eMouse
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:12:41 AM

Well, the V-Set is just starting to get into hands, so that may provide some variety.

Other things to try...

published scenarios
custom scenarios
different squad sizes
restricted scoring - Player A only gets points for killing Player B, who only gets points for killing C, who only gets points for killing A
mass battle
cicrush13
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:18:41 AM

My buddy and I ran into the same issue and we decided to make up our own format. Similar to Fantastic Four, we made Fearsome Foursome. This is 4 figures up to 200 points (but can't have room to stick another figure in). So really its any squad that's 198-200 points and follows faction rule.

Very fun and has given us a reason to play some of the high point figures we normally never play. Games are quick and very fun.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:22:11 AM

My local group has dwindled as well. Sad

There are many, many custom formats that you guys could try out.

Tile Wars plays very differently, is quick, with plenty of carnage

Dynamic Duo, Triple Threat, Fantastic Four

Set Wars - no faction rules, all pieces must come from the same set

What's the Point? - no faction rules, all characters on your squad must have the same point cost

"Peasant" format - no uniques

That's just a start. Really, the possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

And I agree that new maps can really freshen up the games.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:24:29 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys!

One of our regular's frequently purchased custom maps. When we have 4+ people, we do what we call "the triangle", where the people sitting adjacent to you are your temporary allies. That's worked for us for awhile, but recently it's also been getting... Regular, ya know? I do intend on trying some of the suggestions you've given me.

Again, thanks!
Chargers
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:33:41 AM

Darth_Ewok_Fett wrote:
SWminiverse has lots of diffent build options they use for there league play ask them I bet they'd share them.

Thanks for the plug. You can find us here: www.swminiverse.com

Every month we do a variety of team builds (mostly) and/or scenario games (less often). The team builds change things up enough that you can't see the same teams all the time. Visit the website for recent ideas and listen to the show where we talk about how the ideas went. And then call/e-mail us and let us know how it goes for you.

We've got 6 years of weekly variety that has worked for us. Hmmmm ... maybe that's another page we should add to the site ...
falcon
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:29:18 AM

Here are a few ideas that I have.

Quick games...
Dynamic Duos. LOVE THAT GAME

For gameing nights...
Melee only
Only one commander effect
No Force powers
only force users.

One game kinda day
Capture the flag
Claim the Han in Carbonite block (one person defends the carbonite block with bounty hunters and the other has to retrive it. Han is not implacment and all the figs on the good guys side have tow cabel)

Big ideas...
I have tried a 1000 point game... don't recomend it. By the fifth hour I wanted to loose just to get it over with)

Turny... Randomly sellect all 9 factions.... who will fight who. Once every faction has a battle (one army gets a bi) then rotate. This is a several night kinda game. I am in round one right now. Once every faction has battled everyone eles... lowest point team is eleminated. Then start over. Keep going until only one army remains.
Jester007
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:03:41 AM

How about "Dream Team"? Its like Fantastic Four, but no faction restrictions.

There's also Creature Feature (nothing but Savage).

Sincerely,
Jester007
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:41:54 AM

Some good ideas for fun formats on this older thread:
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=7738
General Ed
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:39:13 AM

I know we have run different point levels from 100-300, scenarios (ones that Jim or I have made), Mass battles for an era (usually with teams for the factions involved), We also generally have a good group about switching up what squads all of us play so that also helps with things.
Ruhk
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:31:25 AM

for 1000 pointers there are some fun and easy way to keep it fast:
-limit on activations (something like 30)
-uniques only
-LS vs DS uniques only
-uniques only and faction free
-force users only and faction free.
-LS vs DS faction free.

make for some quick, brutal and fun high point games.
swrogue57
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:55:26 PM

One thing my playgroup did to keep things interesting during the lull between MotF and DotF was running era specific tournaments. It takes some prep time, but we separated every figure in the game into the 5 different eras and you were only allowed to use characters from that era...following faction rules of course.

Old Republic Era
Republic Era
Rise of the Empire/Rebellion Era
New Republic Era
Legacy Era

It was a lot of fun and we're looking forward to doing it again sometime with DotF.
bigphesta
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:12:37 PM

Darth_Reignir wrote:
Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured I would play it safe and post it in the general discussion, I am sorry if it doesn't belong here.

A small group of gamers and I are a pocket of gamers here in Illinois. We have 4 usual players and maybe 10 players total. Recently, a few of us in the group have been getting burnt out on SWM, whether is from have a losing streak, seeing the same teams over (and over, and over, and over), or just not having fun with the game. I am trying to keep the group alive, but it's becoming increasingly difficult. We're the only people (that we know of) in the Quad Cities, Illinois, that play. I've tried going on road-trip to unite some players, but there are none to be found.

I guess my question is, is there anything I can do to rekindle the life in the game? Most of the games we play are 3-way matches. Are there any neat homegame rules people use in these kind of matches? What are some thing you folks do to not burn yourselves out on SWM?

Thanks much
Dylan aka Darth Reignir
I just moved to Iowa City. Have family in Milan, IL. (and Chicago)
obsidian7788
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:36:33 AM

i've always wanted to try to organize a sort of battlefrontesque game. It would take a while and probably incorporate the star wars starships miniatures as well.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:46:12 AM

obsidian7788 wrote:
i've always wanted to try to organize a sort of battlefrontesque game. It would take a while and probably incorporate the star wars starships miniatures as well.

That would interest me greatly.
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:00:38 AM

In Atlanta our favorite format is the Cube. It's a format that greentime adopted from SWCCG and made it work for miniatures. Here's an explanation of the rules:

Quote:
Cube is a draft event, but without buying new material. I built a selection of pieces, about 30% "light," 30% "dark", and 40% fringe. The cards are put into opaque-backed sleeves (so you can't see what they are, natch). You get all your pals together and everyone picks up several "packs" of nine cards. The go is given and everyone looks at their first nine cards. You pick the best (Whorm Loathsome, yay!), then pass the others on to the person next to you. Everyone keeps passing until the pack is done. Then grab another nine, alternate directions (pass to the dude on you left first round, then the one on your right, and so on) and go. Obviously at first you can draft light and dark without worrying but at some point you need to make a decision and roll with it. Counter-drafting is legitimate -- you probably don't want to pass a TBSV and a Czerka scientist to the same person -- as well as taking Whorm even though you know you're playing the good guys just cause you do NOT WANT TO FACE WHORM. After all the cards are done, check out what all you drafted and build a squad out of it.

The drafting is probably the most fun.

Myriad other rules:

Override turns into Door Gimmick
Reserves/Reinforcements rules are still in effect, but that stuff has to come out of your draft stock. If you put Lobot CLO in but have no other fringe fools, you can roll as many 11's as you want but nothing's gonna happen.
Because everyone is playing with some pretty rubbish pieces, everyone gets an AUTOMATIC TWENTY roll once per game. You just declare that you're going to use it before rolling for some purpose. There are two catches -- one, you can't use it for initiative, and two, you can only use it from a cheaper piece to a more expensive one. For example Dash can use it to hit Rex, or to evade Rex shooting him, but Rex cannot automatic twenty Dash. If your opponent had Yobuck, Rex could automatic twenty him. This is to reward people a little for playing borderline pieces like Trandoshan Mercenaries and Wampas.

One of the keys to making it fun is what exactly is included in the cube. Mostly because the majority of the pieces are things you wouldn't normally play, or at least not play together. There are a few good commanders (Whorm, General Skywalker, Sidiogram) but very very few mouse droids (a total of 3 out of about a hundred pieces in the last iteration). You play with a pretty ragtag bunch of pieces and get some weird synergies. Now that DotF is out I'm sure we'll be adding some new pieces to it; things like Nikto Pirates, Tusken Chieftens, Jedi Demolitionsts, and those new Jawas are perfect for the Cube.
TheStarkiller
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:04:51 AM

obsidian7788 wrote:

I actually created a format like this.

Essentially you each have a limited amount of starship points and SWM points. 9 planets, first battle on a contested planet, if you win any space battle, you can use 50 points more for your army.

I will have to look up my entire rule set.