RegisterDonateLogin

Always keep refrigerated. In carbonite.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What will happen to SWM?
Choice Votes Statistics
Another company makes game with incompatible rules 47 48.958333 %
No company picks it up 29 30.208333 %
Wizards picks it back up after a while, same rules 2 2.083333 %
Wizards picks it back up, incompatible rules 1 1.041666 %
Another company picks it up, keeps same rules 17 17.708333 %

What you think will happen to the game Options
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:27:05 PM
Groups: Member

I know, I know, I hate polls but I started one. This is because I am a bit worried about what some people have said they think will happen to the game in relation to corporate production. One poll gave some scary results, so this one breaks that down into clearer ideas. This poll is assuming that the activities over at Gamers will have no effect on discouraging another company from picking up the game (which history and reason have shown us to be true anyways)
kevin187
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:31:33 PM

Lucas sounds like he wants to keep it going, according to the memo they posted in response to WOTC's cancellation announcement.....
Dead horse
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:42:07 PM

Aren't the rules the intellectual property of WotC? They're not letting that go for free. So any company that wants to pick them up is going to have to pay for both the Lucasfilm license and another company's rules that can be used on product they won't be getting paid for. Seems like a lot of outlay for a small return.
seibermaki
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:02:57 PM

kevin187 wrote:
Lucas sounds like he wants to keep it going, according to the memo they posted in response to WOTC's cancellation announcement.....

Do you have a link to that?
Draconarius
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:28:39 PM

If another Star Wars Miniatures game does show up, I doubt it will be compatible. As Dead Horse said, the rules are the IP of WotC and buying them would likely be viewed as an unnecessary expense by whichever company picks up the rights. The best I think we can hope for is that the minis are to the same scale so we can use them as minis for custom stats in this game.
falcon
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 12:14:17 AM

I think that it will simply die.

However, if another company picks it up, I will NOT get into it if the figs are on a different set of rules.

Lets hope that WOTC picks it back up... but I dont think they will.
sunwrought
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 2:00:14 AM

SWM has been canceled because it's not economically viable. If Hasbro / Wizards of the Coast were unable to keep a collectible miniatures game viable, who else could? SWM is dead, will stay dead, and isn't likely to be replaced by another SW CMG any time soon.

Starting a new game would at this point be even less likely to succeed, since that would involve creating a new ruleset from scratch, finding manufacturers, and (most importantly) convincing a fanbase that it's worth it to forget their SWM collection and start over from figure 1.

Oh, and I find it extremely unlikely that WoTC will pick up the license any time soon. It's already a losing proposition; why would they go back to something they've already determined doesn't make money? This isn't a huge surprise; this kind of game tends to lose steam and die out after a while. The central appeal of collectible miniatures games is that players can collect and play with their favorite characters. Well, after several years' worth of sets, everybody has their favorite characters. They've printed multiple versions of almost every character the average fan knows. And so they're left with two options: print yet another Luke/Vader in the hopes people will want a nineteenth, or print minor characters from comics/games/cartoons that only the hardest of the hardcore even recognize. As the sets become more obscure and/or more repetitive, casual fans grow less interested. Picking up where they left off would be picking up a brand that's been almost completely exhausted.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 2:01:46 AM

sunwrought wrote:
SWM has been canceled because it's not economically viable. If Hasbro / Wizards of the Coast were unable to keep a collectible miniatures game viable, who else could? SWM is dead, will stay dead, and isn't likely to be replaced by another SW CMG any time soon.

I would argue, the above is not true. In fact, I would argue SWMs itself, was not even the reason it was canceled. There are other factors, and cost associated with SWMs was not the primary motivation. It is simply the easy excuse that WotC gave for it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 2:50:10 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

billiv15 wrote:
sunwrought wrote:

I would argue, the above is not true. In fact, I would argue SWMs itself, was not even the reason it was canceled. There are other factors, and cost associated with SWMs was not the primary motivation. It is simply the easy excuse that WotC gave for it.

That's interesting. I'd be interested to hear the argument. Not to say I disagree, but you didn't give any argument - you just stated an opinion. Do you have inside knowledge we don't know about? Just curious, that's all.
adminsidious
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 6:57:07 AM

kevin187 wrote:

Link please? I can't find this.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 7:43:55 AM

adminsidious wrote:
kevin187 wrote:

Link please? I can't find this.

http://www.starwars.com/games/othergames/news20100128wotc/index.html
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 8:33:48 AM

kevin187 wrote:

Read the page in swinefeld's link again, especially the third paragraph. Does that mean that THIS game will continue, or that there will be another miniatures game? To me it suggests the second one.
greentime
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 10:34:04 AM

SWM as we know it, with the current rules set, will not return. Look at the CCG -- it was the second most popular CCG in the nation, actually vied for the top spot against MTG for a while, and had gameplay and cards so solid that hundreds of people are still playing 10 years after it went out of print.

Wizards didn't keep any of it. New game, new cards, new rules, etc. The only thing it lacked was new players, because everyone hated it. They made 10 expansions to fulfill their contract with Lucas, then ditched it.

Think about it. SWCCG was unquestionably a massive, profitable game. Decipher could afford to hold tournaments with thousands of dollars in cash prizes. They flew successful players to their headquarters and had them help design the next set of cards. And still Wizards felt the need to change every single thing. Why would anyone take minis, evidently a marginal product at best, make the profit margins even worse by paying Wizards for the rights to their rules, cut themselves off from nearly 1000 potential pieces, inherit a slew of nearly broken beasts on one hand and 500 pieces no one in their right mind would ever use on the other, and basically guarantee that new players are going to be confused and upset when they realize that the "new" game they just decided to play has 1000 outstanding pieces without which you cannot compete.

Most likely, no one picks it up. Second most, Lucas finds another sucker and they make a totally different game. Third most, Lucas finds someone to make "collectible" minis that do not have a game associated with them. This particular game, will not ever go back into production.

That part is up to us.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 10:42:55 AM

greentime wrote:
SWM as we know it, with the current rules set, will not return. Look at the CCG -- it was the second most popular CCG in the nation, actually vied for the top spot against MTG for a while, and had gameplay and cards so solid that hundreds of people are still playing 10 years after it went out of print.

Wizards didn't keep any of it. New game, new cards, new rules, etc. The only thing it lacked was new players, because everyone hated it. They made 10 expansions to fulfill their contract with Lucas, then ditched it.

Think about it. SWCCG was unquestionably a massive, profitable game. Decipher could afford to hold tournaments with thousands of dollars in cash prizes. They flew successful players to their headquarters and had them help design the next set of cards. And still Wizards felt the need to change every single thing. Why would anyone take minis, evidently a marginal product at best, make the profit margins even worse by paying Wizards for the rights to their rules, cut themselves off from nearly 1000 potential pieces, inherit a slew of nearly broken beasts on one hand and 500 pieces no one in their right mind would ever use on the other, and basically guarantee that new players are going to be confused and upset when they realize that the "new" game they just decided to play has 1000 outstanding pieces without which you cannot compete.

Most likely, no one picks it up. Second most, Lucas finds another sucker and they make a totally different game. Third most, Lucas finds someone to make "collectible" minis that do not have a game associated with them. This particular game, will not ever go back into production.

That part is up to us.

I dunno, i think WOTC problem was it wasnt promoted that good because in my opinion they didnt even seem interested in the game & had there attention on there other products. I feel another company will pick this up & keep the game as is & if any rules are changed i dont see them being so dramatic. I think the game will say 90% the same atleast.

WOTC promoted the game big only to people who play these types of games. I wasnt aware the game even existed untill LOTF came out & i feel thats when they were promoting the game to a wider audience because you would see boosters in Toys'R'Us & Target etc. which i never seen them before LOTF. I think the fact that the game is StarWars related & how popular starwars is that the game will not be overlooked & not picked up.

The fan base on the game is big considering it was promoted like that & will do so. I think the game being dropped by WOTC is a good thing because in my opinion i think were gonna get a new company that has love for StarWars & will promote it how it should be promoted. The game has the potential to make so much money under the right company & weither it be a company that is known or a company unknown i think we can expect it either way, a unknown company could get a name for themselves by picking this up.

I just dont think WOTC had any love or interest for the game IMO they are more into the other products they have & never really seemed like this game got the attention it should of from WOTC. So it'll be picked up in my opinion & be promoted to its full potential & i dont see this being a problem with them dropping the game. Its StarWars trust me it'll be picked up again. & as for changing rules and whatnot. You dont fix something that isnt broken & again i dont think the problem was with the game & the stats, rules etc. It had everything to do with not being promoted because not being promoted it still made money & still gained a huge following of people who love the game.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 11:22:47 AM

I cannot predict what's going to happen to the game in the future, but I have faith it will all be ok. We do have our community and we are going to keep playing, regardless of who if anyone produces miniatures.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 3:20:13 PM

greentime wrote:

That part is up to us.

That third option is the most likely 'successful' scenario. If they make collectible minis with no game, then more figures exist that can be co-opted for the virtual sets that the players' group creates. They can make the figures look even better than the existing SWM, charge more for them since they're true 'collectibles', but can use the exact same size since they wouldn't feel the need to compete with the existing SWM in the existing market. Additionally, since they're making collectibles, they can make the more obscure characters and make them in limited quantity and charge an arm and a leg for them.

If some other company makes a game, they'd either pay for the rights to keep the stats going or would change the format just enough that the figures wouldn't work well with the SWM we know. On the off chance that they continue the exact same game, there would be a huge power creep (power leap) that would obsolete almost all of the existing figures within 2 or 3 sets. It would need to be one of these 3 because the new company would need to make a profit.
falcon
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 5:30:29 AM

I am going to miss Star Wars Minis. I am feeling more and more that it is going to be gone for good.

If they put it into a new game format, I will not continue. I will not consider it a part of the game I love. If another company picks it up and does not change much... keep the format the same... then I will continue.

The only thing I will continue with for SWM is assisting my friends bulk out and finish thier sets, and start doing customs. I have a strong base of friends that love playing the game. We will continue to play.
smurfjeedai
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:10:28 PM

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
I know, I know, I hate polls but I started one. This is because I am a bit worried about what some people have said they think will happen to the game in relation to corporate production. One poll gave some scary results, so this one breaks that down into clearer ideas. This poll is assuming that the activities over at Gamers will have no effect on discouraging another company from picking up the game (which history and reason have shown us to be true anyways)

Ive never seen game taken on by a company after virtual sets release.
what games were?
I do not think it is good idea to do this so quickly.
according to the polls I have read most people have voted the same way.
I just found out about site the other day.

is not easy playing this game and all of this happen, especially when live in Canada and not many player.

Mod edit: edited out irrellevant text that could be inflamatory.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:14:36 PM

I wish i a crystal ball. but i dont lets have a great regional season and gencon and woory about all this after that.
smurfjeedai
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:18:03 PM

what is this gencon???