yes 3 5.769230 %
no 5 9.615384 %
maybe,it would depend on the mehcanics 16 30.769230 %
only if my current minis were compatable 28 53.846153 %

if another company picked up the game Options
trappedslider
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:09:41 PM
Groups: Member

Confused if and when another company picks the game without the current mechanics would you play it?
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:13:57 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

If it doesn't have the mechanics, it really isn't picking up this game. A more fair poll would be stated if you would play a different Star Wars Minis game. As stated, this is a bit misleading.
trappedslider
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:17:30 PM

Sithborg wrote:
If it doesn't have the mechanics, it really isn't picking up this game. A more fair poll would be stated if you would play a different Star Wars Minis game. As stated, this is a bit misleading.

well this is the way everyone talks about it,so i jsut went with it,you can clsoe it if you want to :)
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:16:48 PM

I would definitely check it out, and certainly play it if it was a good game. By no means would I stop playing this game, though.

I'm actually kind of surprised at the negativity towards a new Star Wars-based miniatures game. Is SWM the only collectible game you play for most people? I'm always looking for new games to pick up, and try to do so if they are fun. I tried Monsterpocalypse for the first time at Gencon, and really liked the mechanics, and will probably pick the game up if I can convince some people to play it with me. At no point did I think "I've spent so much money on SWM, I'm not going to get into this game if I can't use my SWM pieces". The same goes if there is a new Star Wars game. If it's a good game, I'll play it. A new game that isn't compatible with SWM doesn't somehow invalidate all the time and money you spent on SWM; just play both games!
Darthbane53
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:44:29 PM

I agree with Echo. Theres so much out there to play. Any time some one asks me to come play a new strategy/table top game I allways go. Its nice to see what everything is. I have stuff in my closet from so many games I have and have only played once! I got an entire War Hammer 40k starter set but got no one to play with! (And im still painting them ^.^). But just because you devote your time to one game doesnt mean you have to drop the other.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:43:32 PM

I'd certainly look at picking up the "starter set" (or whatever it maybe called), but probably wouldn't invest as much in it as I have SWM.
ludd_gang
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:17:38 AM

Personally, I like having a dead game. I'm having a blast with customs. SWM is easy enough, I can invite someone over for a night of games and teach fairly quickly.
trappedslider
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:41:46 AM

Echo24 wrote:
I would definitely check it out, and certainly play it if it was a good game. By no means would I stop playing this game, though.

I'm actually kind of surprised at the negativity towards a new Star Wars-based miniatures game. Is SWM the only collectible game you play for most people?

I think iot has to do with fear of having to buy everything all over again among other things...
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:50:30 AM

trappedslider wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

I'm actually kind of surprised at the negativity towards a new Star Wars-based miniatures game. Is SWM the only collectible game you play for most people?

I think iot has to do with fear of having to buy everything all over again among other things...

That's why I was asking if SWM was the only game most people played. Because if you play a lot of games and invest in different games regularly, buying a new game isn't a big deal. If SWM is the only game you play and you aren't interested in other games at all then I understand, but if you are a regular gamer I don't understand the opposition. It's not like someone is taking your SWM; you're just buying stuff for another game. You aren't buying anything over again, you are buying all new stuff.
Xeonaught
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:28:54 AM

Ill play it if the figures are the same, size, shape and are very similar to the originals. same rules. same card style (like they can change the colour becuse wizards have done it but keep the same sort of style). I would only pay if another company bought the label. wizards would put restrictions/requirements around the deal because they would want to keep people happy with wizards. other wise no dice. id stop minis games and probely start a new game. or just continue collecting swms. to be honest I think that woc will return to the game if the cyber version does well. then they will go hey we can make some more money here. and buisness will pick back up. they may even do a reprint on past sets. well thats what i would do. so we need to get behind the cyber game and we may see a return of the little plastic gremlins we love so much.ThumbsUp ThumpUp Woot Laugh Flapper Drool BlooMilk Wub<-- (bloomilk wub)
countrydude82487
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:36:49 AM

Echo24 wrote:

Actualy it is now one of the only collectible games i play. I also play Pirates CSG but that game is also dead.
trappedslider
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:22:08 AM

Echo24 wrote:

That's why I was asking if SWM was the only game most people played. Because if you play a lot of games and invest in different games regularly, buying a new game isn't a big deal. If SWM is the only game you play and you aren't interested in other games at all then I understand, but if you are a regular gamer I don't understand the opposition. It's not like someone is taking your SWM; you're just buying stuff for another game. You aren't buying anything over again, you are buying all new stuff.

way back when,i did an infromal poll asking if folks were a gamer first or a SW fan first and msot of the replies came back Star wars fans first *shrugs* i'm personally a gamer frist and formost,so picking up a new game isn't that big of a deal,it jsut needs to interest me. Oddly enough if the mysterous company that has been said to have picked the rights to make the game,sets up a forum yeah i'll be one of the frist to join it.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:53:55 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

This game is pretty much it for me.

If a new (ruleset/mechanics) game comes out that provides mini fodder for the v-sets, I'll probably buy singles as needed.

I've spent too much on this game to get heavily into another one. I could just as easily spend some quality time on my son's Xbox 360, Wii, Playstation etc. which I've barely touched, and are already paid for. Smile
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:02:19 AM

trappedslider wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

way back when,i did an infromal poll asking if folks were a gamer first or a SW fan first and msot of the replies came back Star wars fans first *shrugs* i'm personally a gamer frist and formost,so picking up a new game isn't that big of a deal,it jsut needs to interest me. Oddly enough if the mysterous company that has been said to have picked the rights to make the game,sets up a forum yeah i'll be one of the frist to join it.

That actually does shed some lot on it. I'd say I'm pretty close to equally a Star Wars fan and a gamer (as in a big Star Wars fan and a big gamer), so a new Star Wars game to buy isn't a bad thing to me at all, if it is a good game. I can see collectible games being generally too expensive for people who aren't big gamers.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:12:31 AM

I think the real answer for most people is we have no idea until we see what it would be. The game mechanics for SWMs is very strong, the best I've played. I wouldn't buy another SWs game unless it had an equally strong game play. It isn't about being a gamer or not, I am, but I would not waste my limited funds on another SWs game, just because it was made - and especially since I already have a ton of pieces for the current game. I would rather spend it on other completely different games.

The comparable issue to me would be a video game franchise. Most people do not buy Madden and College Football each year from EA (I know some do). Most people buy one or the other, or like me, only buy a new one every few years. Why? Because I have limited funds and I prefer to have a more varied gaming experience, so I spend the money on things like Mariocart Wii, or Tiger Woods Golf, etc, instead of buying every football game they make, even though football would be classified as my favorite.

So while being a SWs fan, and a gamer, its not the same as buying just another game. It's a question of variety. Would I want another expensive SWs game or would I rather buy more decks for my burgeoning Killer Bunnies set? Would I want to buy more minis (which are similar to what I already have) or would I rather invest that $100 in Warlords of Europe? Generally, I'd prefer the latter.

But a lot of that depends on the mechanics. I extensively bought and played the SWs CCG, and when WotC obtained the license and released it's own TCG, I tried it, didn't like the mechanics, and stopped buying. I didn't buy another WotC product until the Minis game came out - which coincidentally, replaced my action figure habit as well as my gaming habit. If the game was solid, and different enough, and I had the funds, I'd consider getting into it. But that's a lot of ifs that I cannot project until I see what the new company has in store for the franchise.
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:21:06 AM

billiv15 wrote:
I think the real answer for most people is we have no idea until we see what it would be. The game mechanics for SWMs is very strong, the best I've played. I wouldn't buy another SWs game unless it had an equally strong game play. It isn't about being a gamer or not, I am, but I would not waste my limited funds on another SWs game, just because it was made - and especially since I already have a ton of pieces for the current game. I would rather spend it on other completely different games.

The comparable issue to me would be a video game franchise. Most people do not buy Madden and College Football each year from EA (I know some do). Most people buy one or the other, or like me, only buy a new one every few years. Why? Because I have limited funds and I prefer to have a more varied gaming experience, so I spend the money on things like Mariocart Wii, or Tiger Woods Golf, etc, instead of buying every football game they make, even though football would be classified as my favorite.

So while being a SWs fan, and a gamer, its not the same as buying just another game. It's a question of variety. Would I want another expensive SWs game or would I rather buy more decks for my burgeoning Killer Bunnies set? Would I want to buy more minis (which are similar to what I already have) or would I rather invest that $100 in Warlords of Europe? Generally, I'd prefer the latter.

But a lot of that depends on the mechanics. I extensively bought and played the SWs CCG, and when WotC obtained the license and released it's own TCG, I tried it, didn't like the mechanics, and stopped buying. I didn't buy another WotC product until the Minis game came out - which coincidentally, replaced my action figure habit as well as my gaming habit. If the game was solid, and different enough, and I had the funds, I'd consider getting into it. But that's a lot of ifs that I cannot project until I see what the new company has in store for the franchise.

That's why I've tried to make sure that I say that I'll buy it if the game is good. I'll almost certainly at least read the rules if I can get a copy of them online, and probably pick up a starter set or something if the rules are even a little compelling. Anything beyond that totally depends on the quality of the game.

I suppose the note on variety is a good point as well. I think that's just another thing that the quality of the game will have to overcome.

Another issue I just thought of is that it will also depend on how willing other people I know are to play it. I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a game if I can't get anyone to play with. That's why I didn't play SWM between Universe and KOTOR; I loved the game, but I had moved and didn't know anyone in this area to play with.
dreadtech
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:33:33 AM

I would not buy into another SWM game, if they used the same scale and rules but just redid old characters then i still would not buy into it.

If the rules and scales were the same and they carried off where WOTC left off with set x and new never seen before characters with the odd old character then yes i would buy.

As you asked Echo24 yes SWM's and D&D were the only games i brought. I brought for the game not for a collection. As such I no longer buy D&D as there are no cards.
ludd_gang
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:48:18 AM

[quote=dreadtech]I would not buy into another SWM game, if they used the same scale and rules but just redid old characters then i still would not buy into it.
[quote]

That's the problem: WOTC did the main characters. At version #6 of Boba Fett, you begin to feel like you don't need another. The obscure stuff is great if you know who they are, but opening a pack with a R2's Chess peice and some dude from a KOTR comic won't appeal to a lot of folks.

If they made a game with the same scale and nice sculpts, but incompatible mechanics, I'd buy them to yank for customs. But I don't imagine I am representative of a majority of the fanbase.
StoneThrowingEwok
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:35:14 AM

Not going to say no not going to say yes... It would depend on how many other folks and if the LGS would support it. That being said I have a lot of time and money invested in my collection and would dread trying to complete another one.
Segastorm
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:09:51 AM

My loyalty is to SWM alone, but if the rules were similar and I can use my pieces, maybe...