RegisterDonateLogin

Will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

2014 Pennsylvania Regional May 3 Options
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:17:53 PM
Groups: Member

atmsalad wrote:
Are the standings, squad builds and play reports for this some place else?

There are some hints here: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/138208/bare-bones-snowtroopers
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 9:02:05 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

atmsalad wrote:
Are the standings, squad builds and play reports for this some place else?

I guess we're just slow posting them. As TheHutts indicated, this was my squad. I'll write up a play report later.

--Bare Bones Snowtroopers--
27 Admiral Daala
14 Snowtrooper Commander
12 LIN Demolitionmech
12 Snowtrooper Officer
8 Mas Amedda
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
105 Snowtrooper x21
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 30 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/138208/bare-bones-snowtroopers
atmsalad
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:32:58 PM

No worries, I just enjoy reading the results and seeing everyone's tournament squad ideas. No rush!
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 6:13:01 AM

Top 4 was Lou, UrbanJedi, Darth Jim's son Kris (sorry don't know his username) and FlyingArrow. FlyingArrow won with Daala against Chris's Tantive IV rebel troopers. Lou an UrbanJedi played Vong and Double Lancer respectively
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 6:28:57 AM

Sorry for the delay in posting, but this weekend has been incredibly busy. 2 tournaments on Saturday and Josh's wedding Sunday. I have the squad sheets here ready to type in and I will, as soon as I get back from my doctor's appointment. My son Kris's screen name on here is McNizzle, but you won't find any posts from him except the ones I made under his name by mistake one time lol.

Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 1:55:37 PM

Before I list the final standings and squads, I'd like to say a few words of thanks. We had 13 players show up for our X Wing tournament despite the Pa X Wing Regional held in Monroesville the same day. (They had 38) Ted Peck, known for years as Eroschilles on the boards here, graciously volunteered to come for the X Wing tournament just to help me out , and then play in the minis regional. Ted was invaluable to me and I've already thanked him privately but now I give him a public nod. As always, Jason, Lou and Eric stayed at my house and provided help in judging both events, brought prize support and trophies. It is their participation and assistance that keep me coming back to run regionals, truth be told. Thanks to Gerry for helping to judge the X Wing tournament under some pretty difficult personal circumstances. Finally, thanks to Charlie and Jasmine at That Game Place for opening the store up to us and allowing us to run our 5th annual Pa/Md regional.

Without anything further, here are the final standings after 3 rounds of swiss:

1.TJ (Flying Arrow)

Bare Bones Snowtroopers

Tomb of the Acolytes

Admiral Daala
Snowtrooper Commander
LIN Demolitionmech
Mas Amedda
R7 X 2
Snowtrooper X 21
Ugnaught Demolitionist X 2

2.Jason Kiernan (Urbanjedi)

Double Lancer

Tomb of the Acolytes

Grievous DAC
Lancer X 2
Darth Sideous
IG 86
Gha Nacht
Ugnaught Demolitionist X 3
Mouse X 5

3. Kris McNaney (McNizzle)

Dirty Little Smuggler

Tomb of the Acolytes

Tantive IV Trooper X 19
R7
General Dodonna
Momaw Nadon
Klatoonian Captain
Han Solo, Smuggler
General Lando Calrissian

4. Lou Vasillion (Lou)

Vong Dong Come In

Supreme Overlord Quorreal
Zenoc Quah
Yun Yammka Fanatic X 5
Yammosk War Coordinator
Advance Agent Officer
Zonoma Selcott Scout X 3
Shamed One

5. Trevor Peyton (Thereisnotry)

Bombad Training

Tomb of the Acolytes

Cin Drallig JBM
Quinlan Vos, Double Agent
Aayla Secura
Lobot
Jar Jar Binks
Klatoonian Assassin X 2
R2 Doombot
Ugnaught Demolitionist

6.Eric Larson (Engineer)

Mace in the Face

None Listed

Mace Windu Legacy
Foul Moudama
R2 Doombot
Spaarti Clone
Rodian Brute X 4
Captain Panaka
Mas Amedda
R7
General Skywalker

7. Stephen Crawley (Leftieswillrule)

Droids, Bugs, and One Grumpy Cyborg

Bothan Spynet

Grievous on Tsmeu-6 Wheelbike
Lobot
BX Commando Droid Spotter
BX Commando Droid Sniper X 3
San Hill
Poggle the Lesser
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Geonosian Drone X 13

8. Andy Hatton (Andy Hatton)

Boba's Buddies

Command Deck

Boba Fett Mercenary
Mandalore the Resurrection
Kelborn
Mirta Gev
Mandalorian Captain
Death Watch Saboteur
R7
Mouse Droid
Ugnaught Demolitionist

9. Ted Peck (Eroschilles)

Han and Chewie

Ravaged Base

Kyp Durron Jedi Master
Han Solo GH
Chewbacca GH
Ganner Rhysode
Jagged Fel
General Dodonna
R7 X 2

10. Jim McNaney (Darth Jim)

Greeting Karrde

Bothan Spynet

Talon Karrde
Embo
Wookiee Thug
Han Solo
Morrigan Corde
Klatoonian Assassin
Lobot
Rodian Brute X 2

11. Gerry Russel (Darph Nader)

Ode to the Ultrastar

Asteroid Base

Nom Anor
Supreme Overlord Quorreal
Yomin Carr
Yammosk War Coordinator
YV Seer
Shaper Adept
Zonoma Selcott Scout X 2
YV Worker X 16

Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 1:58:46 PM

As for battle reports, I'll let the participants recount their stories. TJ beat Kris in the finals...which, for the first time in 5 years, was an all Pennsylvania final and won by someone from our own state for the first time. That was no small feat considering that out of the 11 participants, 6 were Hall Of Famers. (TJ I told you 5 but it was actually 6.) Well done TJ and thanks to everyone who particpated.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 4:32:02 PM

Round 1: Bye.
We drove a couple hours to play and I got the bye the first round. The 3-point win was nice, but I would have rather had a game. Fortunately, I got to play a game with emtjoe during the downtime. I played my squad and used Bothan Spynet just to practice on the map. Joe was borrowing a Separatist squad from DARPH NADER, so he wasn’t very familiar with it. I won pretty easily, mainly because he was learning the squad on the fly. The biggest eye-opener was just how quickly Klatooinian Assassins can wreck my squad if they can base multiple troopers. I was able to avoid it in this game, but it’s something to be aware of.

Round 2: AndyHatton’s Mandalorians on Command Deck
Andy and I play regularly. So we’ve driven 2 hours and I have a bye and then play the same matchup we played multiple times getting ready for the tournament. BigGrin This is a bad matchup for him, so we both knew the result before we sat down. It ended more quickly than usual this time due to a risky setup on his part. On Command Deck (his map), I chose the east side. About 7 troopers and some door control in the northeast lift. Just about everything else in the power regulation area. I outactivated by a bunch. After he was out of pieces, my 2 R7’s opened the 2 one-square doors just north of the central Lift Tubes. (Adding the 2nd R7 was a last minute change to my squad and it paid off here.) Using that long line of sight, several troopers were able to shoot down the line and take out his filler. The next round, he used that same line of sight to take out a handful of troopers, but the return shots took out everyone but cloaked Kelborn. The east hallway had probably 15 troopers lined up for shots. Kelborn hit a couple more troopers as he retreated in round 3, but it didn’t take long for the swarm to track him down. 3 point win.

Round 3: thereisnotry’s Republic on Tomb of the Acolytes
Trevor and I had the same map, and his squad was all melee. I won map so I got to orient the map so I could read the words, but then he had me set up first. I took the west side and set up evenly across the back. Half the troopers north and half south with the commanders in the middle. His approach was all in the northeast except a Klat and a noble in the southeast. His big threats were Cin, Aayla, and Quin. The biggest threat to my squad was Aayla’s sweep (plus R2 to get her in position). He granted Aayla Soresu Style from Cin’s Lightsaber Trainer. He brought in 4 Caamasi Nobles through Lobot. Quin Force Cloaked first round. This was my first real experience hating Bombad Gungan. My commanders went to the southwest vault. My troopers were split in half – half coming through the northwest and half coming through the southwest.

The first encounter was just east of the northern bottleneck. I shot at Jar Jar several times. He made 4 or 5 troopers kill themselves before I gave up and went around the other way. In retrospect I probably should have just attacked nothing instead of attacking the Bombad Target he gave me. At the beginning of round 3, I made probably the most important play of the game (for me). My LIN was in the northwest tomb, and I had 4 or 5 troopers poorly placed just southwest of gambit. He won init and had me go first. He could have towed Aayla in for a huge Sweep, but with my one move, I dropped the LIN right where he would have needed to land. If that happened on top of all my Bombad losses, it may have swung the game in his favor. Jar Jar did eventually fall but not until after earning back his points and then some. Aayla got in a decent sweep of 2 or 3 guys just outside the northwest tomb. Cin did a GMA to get a couple just east of the northern bottleneck. Quin got a couple, too. But almost everyone they took out had already activated and hit for 20 or 30 damage, so everyone that was lost had done their job (except the Jar Jar casualties). The Klat that came in the southeast entry moved north toward the rest of the squad after it was clear that the troopers were going to reach him before he could do major damage. Both Klats took out a trooper with Self-Destruct. Cin and Quin both fell to the swarm and at the end Aayla was at about half hit points. During the last round, I pulled all my commanders into the fray to try to finish off R2. Lucky droid survived until the very last shot finally got him. At the end of the round, I went for the sure 27 points from Lobot instead of going after the higher-defense Aayla (where I also would have been shooting from a distance so she had Soresu). I think I had about half my troopers left, but Trevor probably has the exact score.

Semifinals: Lou’s Vong on Tomb of the Acolytes
Similar setup to previous match. Same map (we both had that map). My commanders ran to the southwest vault. Combat began in the northeast. Lou brought in a Quednak for Reinforcements, which could have been major trouble for me. I didn’t initially realize it had speed 10. Through dumb luck, I had some good positioning that prevented him from galloping since he didn’t have a landing spot if he didn’t defeat the first trooper. (I’d like to say I planned it, but when he pointed out why he didn’t gallop I realized it was just dumb luck.) As the Quednak retreated temporarily, the Fanatics came out and each took out 1 or 2 troopers before falling pretty easily. When the Quednak finally did gallop, he rolled a 2 on the very first trooper. That trooper was blocking his path, so his gallop ended right away. The Quednak went down quickly after that. Everything else was basically trading pieces. He wouldn’t get more than 1 or 2 troopers for each of his pieces, though, so every trade was in my favor. And his filler didn’t take out anything at all. Near the end of time, I even tracked down the Yammosk for the full win. The Quednak probably could have taken out 8+ troopers with good rolls, but the rest of the squad was so mismatched it would not have mattered. The fanatics only got 1 or 2 snowtroopers each, so even if I lost another 8 troopers I would have had enough to finish off the commanders.

Finals: McNizzle’s Rebels.
I didn’t like this matchup on paper, but it’s better than urbanjedi’s double lancers, which Kris thankfully beat for me in the semifinals. Same map (we had the same map again), and similar setup. My commanders ran to the southwest vault and he came in through the northeast vault and tomb. He parked Han in the most central column on his side of the map, all the way to the north in the bottleneck. He surrounded him with Tantives. I backed away to try to keep everyone at least 6 away from the Tantives so that heroic stand wouldn’t trigger. I had 7 troopers packed into the northwest antechamber. (Or whatever it’s called – the 3x3 room with the door). All the others were in gambit or coming around the south bottleneck, or packed up against the walls on the west side outside gambit – trying to stay out of Han’s line of sight. From that setup, I managed to pick off quite a few Tantives without having to give up a Snowtrooper in return. A line of sight that was not able to see Han but able to see the Tantive to his southwest was my best line of sight, so I could get his trooper without losing my trooper in return. I was also sometimes able to pick off a trooper while none of my pieces were close enough to grant Heroic Stand. Even though our troopers cost the same, they weren’t equal, so I couldn’t just trade 1 for 1, because when mine were gone I would have had Daala and two Snowtrooper commanders. He would have had Han and Lando and cleaned me up. Eventually he finally left that square southwest of Han empty, and one of the troopers from the northwest antechamber ran in and hit Han for 20dmg. This sort of chess game went on for all of round 2 and most of round 3. His troopers blocking me from shooting the big targets. Me trying to stay away from them and out of Han;s line of sight. On the east side, I was able to mostly keep the troopers out of line of sight but the LIN was a sitting duck for a while. Han hit it once but the DR10 saved it. He missed it the next time he shot at it and didn’t return to it since the troopers were the threats (although worth fewer points). Something similar happened on the east side outside gambit with Lando and the troopers who came around the south bottleneck. I was up by 9 troopers (14-5) near the end of round 3. About when time was called indicating it was the last round, Han ran from his perch to a square just east of the east stairs in gambit. The last five Tantives joined him, and then Momaw blew them all up from just inside gambit. Han got 5 shots. He missed one, but was able to take out 4 troopers. It was actually a trade in my favor, though, since he lost 5 to shoot my 4. He was outactivating me so he also got to pick off 2 more with Lando and then one final one with a good shot from Dodonna. I got gambit in round 2 and we both had it in round 3, so gambit rounds were 2-1 in my favor. Final score was 105-65. He was out of Tantive IV Troopers and both Han and Lando were at half health, so I’m pretty sure my other 11 troopers would have had the advantage if we had another round.

===
Looking at the rest of the squads I didn’t have to play, I think I would have had a strong advantage against Eroschilles and Engineer. I’m not sure about the Nom-bombs and Poggle-bombs squads. Those would have been tricky, and I haven’t played against them with Daala before. Even though Jim went 0-3, I came into the tournament fearing Karrde/Embo. I didn’t know if I could keep Embo out of the backfield. Although Jim would have been out-activated, and if he didn’t bring Override with Lobot then it would have been easy to keep my commanders safe. Then there’s urbanjedi’s double-lancer. I thought I had a decent setup to at least give me a chance against Lancers. Not an advantage – just a chance. But even that setup wouldn’t have worked since I had a misunderstanding on how squeezing works. So that matchup would have just been an autoloss – period. Even with the LIN mainlined. So I got lucky there in avoiding it.

I’m probably more excited about the win than I should be. My first regional win, and I’m not one who travels to a bunch of them, so I don’t typically get more than one shot per year. Maybe I’ll find time for the Vassal regional this year, and I will also be at GenCon for the first time, but I don’t expect to be traveling other than that.

I had a great time and it was great to finally meet a lot of the screennames I see on here all the time. Everyone was super-nice. I would have loved to join people for food after the games, but Andy and I headed home and got back around 1, so staying even later wouldn’t have been a good idea. Thanks to Jim for organizing and for everyone who made long trips to participate.
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:50:19 AM

congrats again to FlyingArrow, and it was nice to see everyone again!

I'm going to post my play report later. I like my squad a lot, its not the best ever but its really fun and when it works, it WORKS. Unfortunately I was paired up against FlyingArrow round 2 (which as he said is not a really bad matchup for my squad) and then Kris in round 3, which again is not a very good matchup for me. I don't feel so bad losing to the top 2 though.
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:44:51 AM

Boba Fett Mercenary
Mandalore the Resurrection
Kelborn
Mirta Gev
Mandalorian Captain
Death Watch Saboteur
R7
Mouse Droid
Ugnaught Demolitionist

So I've been playing this squad for a bit now, and it is very fun. Big tricks are Boba's 160 accurate damage and 12 squares of movement before a round starts with Intuition and Resolnare. Everybody else has fairly consistent damage, and its mostly cunning so you the low activations aren't the biggest problem.

Pardon me if I don't remember this blow by blow.

Round 1: Darth_Jim and Talon, Embo, et al.
I win map roll so we play on Command Deck. Mandos move up 6 and Boba moves another 6 to get into a nice position. He is flanked by the rest of the Mandos. Jim moves everyone up and opens up a large blast door, Embo draws first blood by killing the Saboteur early. I win init and will go first, so Embo gets to use Talon's CE to round the corner after I have already done my preround positioning. I move Boba over to put 80 damage on Embo (reduced to 60) Embo then bounces over Boba and goes after Kelborn. Between him and the Wookie Thug Kelborn goes down. Now normally this would have me worried, it still isn't ideal but we are already pretty well into the fighting in round 2, and my commanders are all close enough that I'm not missing his coordinated command too much. Round continues and Greedo sticks Mirta to her spot adjacent to Embo. Since she can't move and only have 10 base damage she isn't going to much help against Embo but she is my last activation. I tell Jim "Crit or it doesn't hurt him." Rolled a 20 and Embo is down! It was very exciting, Jim gave me a fist bump and we continued. Now this is where the game turned in a bad way for Jim, over 2 rounds Morrigan Corde missed 4 shots on Boba Fett. in the first of those rounds Boba Fett's first shot took out Talon and then Either Lobot or Han. Mandalore follows up and takes shots down the line at other folks he can take out in a few shots. Next Round Morrigan has Boba based and misses again, and he takes her out. Mirta had been working her way through the backfield and took out Greedo and the Klat. I was flying high after this match THIS is exactly how the squad was supposed to work, Move quick and take out threats early.

Round 2. FlyingArrow
Pretty much as above. I've played this match a bunch and I know that if I take my time and am very careful I can take out maybe a dozen snowtroopers. I decided to try something different and just try and blast as many as I could as quickly as possbile. It did not end well.

Round 3. Kris.
This matchup was not looking great for me on paper either. But I start playing and I get a fairly early shot at Han with Boba, but to set it up Boba has to give up his twin. I figured it was worth it to take out Han. I totally blanked on the fact that he had evade and evaded 2xs. I got off a few other shots here and there but was so outactivated it didn't mean a heck of a lot, but the troopers had worn down the Sabateur a bit. And then Han Solo moved 16 squares and had a bead on pretty much everyone. And Kris blew up 14 troopers all pushed into a room near Boba. So. Han Solo then got 14 shots to rip through my squad. It was so clever and impressive I could not be mad. 14 shots later, Mirta and the Captain are the only folks left and the next round is just clean up for the Rebels.

So like I said I don't feel so bad since I lost to the top 2 and they were particularly poor matchups for me. But I had fun adn I hope everyone else did too!
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:23:56 PM

Hey awesome, I made a very similar squad a while ago ( http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/132160/new-mandalore-in-town ). Definitely a fun one!
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:59:46 PM

I was going to play Laura's squad Talon's Hat Trick right up until the tourney when Lou talked me into switching to double lancer to see how it would do on the tomb of the acolytes.

Rd 1 against Trevor
My first 1 pt loss of the day. Final score was 194-193. I traded the first lancer for R2 and a little damage. Then he let me get a line with the 86 to take out the LIN and then I exposed Greivous to take out Lobot. We kept jockeying and trading blows. Then I had a chance when I could move my IG next to Cin and then pawn it. Needed 5s to kill him. Missed twice. He missed some then finally took out the 86 and I took out Quinlin. Then Grevious finally took out Cin and Aayla took out grevious. Then Aayla worked on Sid while Sid was lightning her back. She finished him off and then time was called. I had Gha and a couple of mice left to his Aayla and couple other acts.

Rd 2 againt Jim and his version of Embo.
Jim's dice were terrible to him. From playing against Laura I knew this match would hinge on one thing. I couldn't stop him from getting Embo to my IG86 so I had to basically hope that when that happened he missed. IF he can kill the 86, I really don't think I can do enough damage to Embo to kill him, which gives him another init to get Embo out or to do more damage to other stuff. He played it pretty well and made the move and missed. Both shots on the 86. Dead Embo. Then he couldn't hit anything with morrigan, and it was pretty much all over. Had his dice been even average, he would have won this one.

Rd 3 vs Lou and his Vong.
Bad Matchup for Lou compounded by the fact I don't think he made more than 2 or 3 crab armor saves the entire game meant a bunch of dead guys really quickly. I even killed one on the first strafe when I Rolled a crit and he failed both crab saves.

Made Top 4 and Semis was against Kris and his Tantive Troopers.
This is where I learned the lesson that I always preach. Make sure you are keeping accurate score and not just trying to do it in your head. Traded first lancer for some troopers. Traded second Lancer for Han, Klat Capn and more troopers. At this point I also had a dead ugo. So I did a quick calculation of the scores and in my head determined I was up by 27 points. This meant that I could just pull back and let 5 rounds go by without combat and win. However I had miscounted (there was a second dead ugo that I missed) and I ended up losing my second match of the day by 1 pt. Had I kept pushing forward instead of pulling back when I did, I have no idea what would have happened. At the time, he was fairly spread out and I might I have been able to start killing more dudes. Anyway Kris played it great and knew exactly how he wanted to do what he needed to.

Congrats to TJ for winning the regional