RegisterDonateLogin

Bluer than a Rutian Twi'lek on a cold day.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

jedi academy sealed, will we kill luke? Options
billiv15
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 5:34:20 AM
Groups: Member

Sithfan wrote:
I thought that the regular format for a sealed tourney was 100 or 150 for a Huge set, while for A&E it was 120...

So in essence, we are trying to allow Luke to get played by assuming the preferred format is 120. But I think you might be right by making it 150 for this set. With the Jensaari Defender and the Imperial Sentinel costing as they do, it probably is wise to extend the 150 point limit to this set.

There is no such thing as an "official" format. WotC has not been doing that for over a year. Sealed point levels are up to any particular store.
DarthReeves
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 7:01:48 AM

I say...let them use their Luke...it's a game of luck, if they win then they win. Not a big deal. Plagius can corrupt the fool and the Vong can hurt him. 200 pt. squad I say. Just DO it baby! We don't even know what the rest of the set does yet. What if Kyle has a "kill master luke in one move" effect huh? Our last sealed tournament was 150 because the pieces were so low, but you GOTTA do 200 this time. Luke or no luke. I mean come on! Every rare/very rare has a freaking lightsaber, and half of the rest of the pieces do too. If we never fought tough armies, then the rebel alliance would have chickened out at Endor. So you babies who are crying about grand master luke, remember, if you beat him in the tournament, you get massive bragging rights.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 1:48:29 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

billiv15 wrote:
awesome wrote:
ours has always been 150, I dont think that will change with GMLS coming out, that only leaves him with 35 points though so once he is dead he pretty much lost, and Luke isnt that hard to kill, just run him out of FP's and your good to go, allot of the characters in the set can counter him anyways so dont think that GMLS is the deciding factor.

I agree. You should not be restricting the format to prevent someone from using Luke.

It's also important to recognize, that powerful "sealed" figures have always existed, and yet, they don't consistently win sealed events.

As it happens, I don't think Luke is particularly strong in sealed anyways. In order to do more than 40 dmg in a round, he needs to have based first, and win init. That isn't a very high damage output for 115pts of a squad.

Guys, I submit that Luke will lose more often than he will win in sealed games, so I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

I've generally found that 100pt sealed isn't very interesting, and 120-125 in a set with so many 50+ point figures is too restrictive. I wouldn't do it.

I disagree. Look at what Jedi Academy is filled with. Not very many shooters. A TON of melee figs. There is enough in there to keep him from completely dominating, but he will be really tough to beat. Djem So Mastery will be tough to deal with for a lot of these figures.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 2:00:12 PM

Sithborg wrote:

I disagree. Look at what Jedi Academy is filled with. Not very many shooters. A TON of melee figs. There is enough in there to keep him from completely dominating, but he will be really tough to beat. Djem So Mastery will be tough to deal with for a lot of these figures.

And most of them have non-attack force powers as well. There are literally a ton of options that will be able to deal with Luke quite well.

Luke isn't even close to the dream pull in this one.

I would rather have say Plageous and Leia for example. Or a couple of Vong with the Priest.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 2:07:40 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Which is why he can be defeated. Quite a few of the U/C ones can only do it a few times, which would be worth a Defense.
swmimperial130
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 2:30:17 PM

He's just like a Bane, takes a while but he WILL die.
homer_sapien
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 4:32:26 AM

My sealed tourny is 120 points. I want to play him and a Youngling as my sealed squad.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:22:54 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

We are upping our normal total to 150 to allow for the averages of each rarity. I believe the Commons are an average of 11pts or so; Uncommons was over 25pts. That more than justified upping the points to 150 just to allow use of some of the bigger characters.

I actually don't want to pull Luke. For reasons already stated, he's a liability with all the rest that you could have. (in 150pts that is)
mrtyler7
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:25:29 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
We are upping our normal total to 150 to allow for the averages of each rarity. I believe the Commons are an average of 11pts or so; Uncommons was over 22pts. That more than justified upping the points to 150 just to allow use of some of the bigger characters.

I actually don't want to pull Luke. For reasons already stated, he's a liability with all the rest that you could have. (in 150pts that is)

If someone does pull him, it would be interesting to hear how it went, for those that don't get to a sealed tourney.