RegisterDonateLogin

Very fast, very dangerous.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man (GenCon SWM Championship Style) Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 3:17:45 AM
Groups: Member

My thoughts on the Champs this year and SWM history, in general, from a guy who has played the game from when Rebel Storm was released, back on September 3, 2004 ;

1. THANK GOD Vong didn't win!

2. Congrats to Etienne on winning the 2017 SWM championship, with a nerfed Daala! Just shows you HOW broken she was with charging +10 and reserves.

3. I really thought it was Jason's year to win it all Confused. I was rooting for him, as he is such a super nice guy, and an amazing SWM player. His time will come!

4. 18 guys! Not like the old days, but a decent number. Let's see if we can up the participants next year. Let's go!

5. Add Deri in the conversation as one of the best SWM players of all time. He has 1 championship victory, and many appearances in championship top 8's and 6's;

1. Trevor Payton
2. Billiv
3. Deri Morgan

My top 3 SWM players of all time! ( Etienne is on his way to making the list, presently, knocking on the door )

6. Yoda on Kybuck is one of the best SWM minis of all time! He has pretty much been in the top 8's and 6's, in each SWM championship ever since he was released! Add Dodonna, Rieekan, Crix, Thrawn, Mas, Ozzel, and now Daala to that list as well!

7. Imperials are the top SWM faction of all time, chalking up another GenCon championship!

Top factions ( IMHO )

1. Imperials
2. Rebels
3. Republic
4. New Republic
5. Mandos
6. Old Republic
7. Fringe
8. Seps ( Why did we nerf them, when they have never won GenCon????? Confused )
9. Sith
10. Vong ( Probably at 4 or 5, but I just don't like the non-cannon that they represent now )

Long live SWM! May the Force be with us all..............................................BlooMilk
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:22:01 AM

Kybuck is great, but i think he always falls a tad short. You have republic better than new republic. I would like to know why you think that?
I think new republic is better because you have many options.
Levitate is more free than tow cable. You can out activate and get Han corellian legend with 90 accurate.
You can grab counters to init control and can have disruptive.
Great tech in evade and mobile. And some more pilots. Giving greater mobile is a trick of republic, but nr has it too in the same costing piece.
You also have force pull and devastating force power options.
A couple of 90-120 damage dealers.

I just think the options are more dangerous. And optional act control is just too powerful to overcome
jak
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 10:42:40 AM

DarthMaim wrote:

4. 18 guys! Not like the old days, but a decent number. Let's see if we can up the participants next year. Let's go!

....BlooMilk

reality is, that GenCon controls the number of participants.
to achieve larger numbers, we most beg for larger slots for players, and then fill every single one.
I think last years champs players of 12 hurt us a great deal. Crying
It may takes years to get back up to numbers of 30+
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 2:23:27 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
2. Congrats to Etienne on winning the 2017 SWM championship, with a nerfed Daala! Just shows you HOW broken she was with charging +10 and reserves.

And rapport! You could get four point Snowtroopers at one point.

DarthMaim wrote:
6. Yoda on Kybuck is one of the best SWM minis of all time! He has pretty much been in the top 8's and 6's, in each SWM championship ever since he was released! Add Dodonna, Rieekan, Crix, Thrawn, Mas, Ozzel, and now Daala to that list as well!

Princess Leia is a little overlooked now, but she was the common piece between the 2008, 2009, and 2010 championship winning squads.

DarthMaim wrote:
8. Seps ( Why did we nerf them, when they have never won GenCon????? Confused

Having a swarm of 2 point pieces that do useful things warps the game and pushes act counts up. Seps fundamentally aren't that bad, since they have tempo, good strafers, and good tech like the BX guy with Energy Shield.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 2:28:00 PM

What really amazes me is how little difference v-sets have made on some levels - the strongest factions are generally those that got the strong game mechanics from WOTC, like movement breakers, tempo, initiative control.

There have obviously been changes - Daala and Talon Kardde are strong squad bases that originate from the v-set - but a lot of the core WOTC stuff is super strong.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:08:10 PM

TheHutts wrote:
What really amazes me is how little difference v-sets have made on some levels - the strongest factions are generally those that got the strong game mechanics from WOTC, like movement breakers, tempo, initiative control.

There have obviously been changes - Daala and Talon Kardde are strong squad bases that originate from the v-set - but a lot of the core WOTC stuff is super strong.

What really amazes me is that we still allow auto includes in competitive play to still be around.

NR will 99% of the time have Dodonna. Rebels the same. Imperials have Daala, but even with Daala they use Ozzel a lot of the time. Other than Daala it is Ozzel. Separatists..... well they did use San Hill 100% of the time.

Auto include. Same with Mas Amedda. there is hardly ever a Republic squad without Mas Amedda.

soft counter

Separatist piece:
Disruptor: Booming voice is ignored within 6 squares of this character.
Or
Sonic Screamer: replaces turn: characters within 6 squares take 20 damage, save 11, and are not affected by Relay orders or Booming voice until the end of the round.

haha

Or Double Agent on a Lobot include. hard counter. but it would help with dodonna builds that pull 11 activations but use dodonna when it is available (against 10 acts or other lower act squads).

At that point you kind of have to commit to out activating. and on top of that, it makes strategy even harder. but it needs to be lobot include because if it is faction wide it will not be seen enough to be used enough to make a dent
atmsalad
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 7:25:32 PM

Every faction has staple tech and it's part of what gives them flavor. The difficult part from design is how do you give cheap tech to the weak factions without making the catapult over the cream. Personally, I want a level playing Field and right now it is quite balanced.

We have two options with design, hard counter staple pieces in order to lower the bar for tier 1 or boost the crap factions up to the peak. I vote for boosting to the peak. It's to difficult to hit a counter on the head, and most times there is a ripple effect with unintended consequences.

We need to accept that the power level is where it is and nerfing all of the NPE's by direct counters may not be the answer.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:00:55 PM

Hard counters can be a good thing for npes. But npes are not so bad these days. More annoying and lame than anything else. I still hate how many tier 2 pieces have lightsaber as an ability
The biggest npe is dodonna.
He plays with 12 activations and gets a huge upper hand because he can pick and choose.
Against any low activation squad dodonna sets the pace and placement in both rebels and nr. Which already have movement and tech benefits.
I think there should be a new thrawn made
http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/28226/thrawn-of-atollon

This way if you play the counter to dodonna you cannot play opportunist/full board swap.
He also cannot be played with daala.

An tarkin gives him extra attack!
And he messes with placement of other out act squads with his sbm ce. Which is also a big plus
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 4:17:19 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Kybuck is great, but i think he always falls a tad short. You have republic better than new republic. I would like to know why you think that?
I think new republic is better because you have many options.
Levitate is more free than tow cable. You can out activate and get Han corellian legend with 90 accurate.
You can grab counters to init control and can have disruptive.
Great tech in evade and mobile. And some more pilots. Giving greater mobile is a trick of republic, but nr has it too in the same costing piece.
You also have force pull and devastating force power options.
A couple of 90-120 damage dealers.

I just think the options are more dangerous. And optional act control is just too powerful to overcome

My list of top factions goes by GenCon championships primarily, then factors in appearances in top 8 and 6 finishes. Republic has at least 2 GenCon championship wins, New Republic only 1! Republic also has more top 8 and 6 finishes than New Republic, in the history of SWM, going back to Rebel Storm. New Republic didn't start getting really good until "Professor Luke's Art Class", however they were kinda good old school with "Bitches With Lightsabers", and "Solo Charge". So, perhaps, New Republic may, in time, pass up Republic, however, historically speaking, so far, Republic has been the stronger faction of the 2! ThumbsUp
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 4:54:12 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
)

How could I leave Doombot off that list.................my bad. Pound for pound, for 9 pts, one of the best SWM in the game!
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:06:10 AM

DarthMaim wrote:

My list of top factions goes by GenCon championships primarily, then factors in appearances in top 8 and 6 finishes. Republic has at least 2 GenCon championship wins, New Republic only 1! Republic also has more top 8 and 6 finishes than New Republic, in the history of SWM, going back top Rebel Storm. New Republic didn't start getting really good until "Professor Luke's Art Class", however they were kinda good old school with "Bitches With Lightsabers", and "Solo Charge". So, yes New Republic may, in time, pass up Republic, however, historically speaking, so far, Republic has been the stronger faction of the 2! ThumbsUp

I guess I look at it differently.
I guess I look at it as potential to win.

Republic just does not have true answers to opponents.
There answers have answers, and their weaknesses have no way to hide them.
Republic commandos are an exception but have not been ran competitively very much.

Republic faction is based solely on game play. Perfect placement, spacing, timing so as stated somewhere, it has to be played perfectly. Not just really good, but perfectly.

At least imo