RegisterDonateLogin

You can waste time with your friends later.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rule Implementation Request *BR and RC please review Options
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2023 5:59:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

urbanjedi wrote:
Unkar has low caste and cannot be added to a squad so he really shouldn't be part of this particular discussion.

True; I had forgotten they errata'd it onto him. Another mistake; bans are much simpler, easier to remember and better than a steady stream of errata and changes to the rules of the game.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2023 6:23:46 PM
Groups: Member

If you haven't played in a GenCon championship then you probably don't understand why it's worth doing.
Most players have a few Reinforcements or Reserves in mind and for the most part, those are what they play.
It doesn't matter what is listed on their squad sheet because they only play a few options and everyone pretty much knows what reinforcements they are playing. Everyone gets along and has a good time.

At the championship, it is not uncommon for players to bring large boxes and multi-page lists of Reinforcement & Reserve options. My Reinforcements list for the championship is 5 pages long and lists which reinforcement options to bring against various opponents. While players usually get set up in time, it does slow things down and can be annoying having to wait for an opponent to choose Reinforcements from such a large selection.

It is so cut-throat that in recent years players have started using bloomilk to search up counters to their opponents during setup. One player even used a large bottle cap as a proxy for a mini and his phone for the card. There was no preparation on his part, just the long wait while he scrolled through his phone.

A required short list of Reinforcements is way less complicated than multi-page lists and phone searches.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2023 6:33:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sounds like it may indeed be a USA/GenCon-specific problem. No one has brought pages or large boxes of reinforcements to any NZ tournament I've ever attended. The NZ balance committee may have to veto this change within our territory. (Why not make it a rule just for GenCon, even?)
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2023 7:41:48 AM
Groups: Member

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Caedus wrote:
I disagree. Just because you have Reinforcements does not "guarantee" that you out activate someone? That is flat out false. You have a better chance to out activate, but to say you guarantee it does, is simply untrue. Putting a cap that includes Reinforcements makes Wuher at 9pts a ridiculously strong character that would destroy yet another archetype. This game doesn't need another Unkar Plutt, seriously.

You misunderstood what I was trying to say; I probably could have been clearer. Here's my hypothetical scenario: activation cap is set at 14 or whatever, not including Reinforcements. Everyone brings their 14 activation squads, without Reinforcements. I bring my 14 activation squad, with additional Reinforcements. Assuming no act control on either side (most act control is pretty useless at this point anyway), I am guaranteed to outactivate everyone who does not bring Reinforcements, because they are maxed out at 14 activations, and I have 14 plus whatever Reinforcements I bring in. Of course you could also play Reinforcements in a squad that starts with less than the activation cap- that's not what I was talking about.
I think that Joe is exactly right in this.

If the purpose of an Activation Cap is to mitigate the impact of outactivate-and-smash strategies, then that cap needs to include Reinforcements or else those Reinforcements will effectively eliminate the cap against any opponent who doesn't have reinforcements. Don't make a big change like this and then nullify it right away.

As for having to pre-select your reinforcement list.... How about stating in the rules (at least for in-person events) that you must have the exact card for any reinforcements you choose, and that you must also use the Recommended Mini for it (or else a mini that is a reasonable replacement for that RM)? (No more bottle-cap and iphone shenanigans!)