RegisterDonateLogin

Don't get cocky!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Making Old WOTC Sets Playable Options
Cassus fett
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 8:50:44 AM
Groups: Member

Big fan of this project. I have been toying and testing my own designs that I figured I should drop here instead of creating a whole new thread and project. Below I'll offer some of the ones I've done as well as the reasoning for the changes.

Tier 1: Solid and Tested Designs

Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (KotoR 29): Change the cost to 27. Change CE to read "Adjacent followers gain Bodyguard."
- I love this piece, but I've always felt he's over costed and I personally believe it's because the WotC designers always over valued Reserves (I can't be the only one to go multiple games and never have them pop). Palpatine's CE thematically makes sense but, between the O66 Rapport, and only Jedi being allowed to bodyguard, made squad building direction difficult. So, we just cut that and let anyone (who's a follower) bodyguard him. I mean come on, he's the beloved supreme chancellor, anyone would throw themselves in-front of him.

Leia Organa Solo (LotF 35): Change cost to 30. Change Battle Meditation to Advanced Battle Meditation.
- A piece who on paper is solid, but killed by over costing. Drop cost by 10 and all of a sudden she's a much more attractive option. I threw on the change to advanced meditation because let's be honest, the WotC Battle Meditation is God Awful and now she's a very attractive option.

Mandalore the Indomitable (BH 55): Change cost to 45. Add Rapport -1 (Mandalorians).
- Mandalorians are awesome. Mandalorians are expensive. Always have been. Here we mitigate the cost issue without going overboard, giving you probably an extra guy or two to slam around the board with momentum. Simple as.

Tier 2: Experimental and Not Satisfied

Darth Krayt (LotF 5): Change cost to 65. Add Ambush and Niman Style (+2/+2).
- Love this man. Highly over costed. Ambush and Niman are highly Thematic. He still feels like he drops too fast even with VCA 6 and 23 def (with Niman). Trying to decide if he needs Lightsaber Defense or Escape Death, or maybe something else.

Darth Caedus (LotF 4): Change Renewal 1 to Renewal 2. Add Advantageous Attack and MotF 2.
- Jacen Solo by the time he was Caedus had force power to rival Luke. So we upped renewal and gave him MOTF. Advantageous attack is just a gimmie. This needs more testing, he felt really strong, but he also got molly-whopped by a New Republic squad.

Jango Fett, Bounty Hunter (BH37): Add Mandalorian, Damage Reduction 10, Quick Draw, Wrist Cable.
- I haven't tested this guy yet and I'm concerned I've given him one ability too many.

Tier 3: Straight Up Replacements
- Only 1 so far. Grandmaster Luke Skywalker (JA 27) --> Luke Skywalker, Master of the Order (BHC). I honestly don't see any reason to fix GMLS. Just use Luke MotO instead, it's basically the same piece and more or less exactly what I'd do to fix GMLS anyways.

thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 10:21:20 AM

Cassus fett wrote:
Big fan of this project. I have been toying and testing my own designs that I figured I should drop here instead of creating a whole new thread and project. Below I'll offer some of the ones I've done as well as the reasoning for the changes.

Tier 1: Solid and Tested Designs

Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (KotoR 29): Change the cost to 27. Change CE to read "Adjacent followers gain Bodyguard."
- I love this piece, but I've always felt he's over costed and I personally believe it's because the WotC designers always over valued Reserves (I can't be the only one to go multiple games and never have them pop). Palpatine's CE thematically makes sense but, between the O66 Rapport, and only Jedi being allowed to bodyguard, made squad building direction difficult. So, we just cut that and let anyone (who's a follower) bodyguard him. I mean come on, he's the beloved supreme chancellor, anyone would throw themselves in-front of him.

Leia Organa Solo (LotF 35): Change cost to 30. Change Battle Meditation to Advanced Battle Meditation.
- A piece who on paper is solid, but killed by over costing. Drop cost by 10 and all of a sudden she's a much more attractive option. I threw on the change to advanced meditation because let's be honest, the WotC Battle Meditation is God Awful and now she's a very attractive option.

Mandalore the Indomitable (BH 55): Change cost to 45. Add Rapport -1 (Mandalorians).
- Mandalorians are awesome. Mandalorians are expensive. Always have been. Here we mitigate the cost issue without going overboard, giving you probably an extra guy or two to slam around the board with momentum. Simple as.

Tier 2: Experimental and Not Satisfied

Darth Krayt (LotF 5): Change cost to 65. Add Ambush and Niman Style (+2/+2).
- Love this man. Highly over costed. Ambush and Niman are highly Thematic. He still feels like he drops too fast even with VCA 6 and 23 def (with Niman). Trying to decide if he needs Lightsaber Defense or Escape Death, or maybe something else.

Darth Caedus (LotF 4): Change Renewal 1 to Renewal 2. Add Advantageous Attack and MotF 2.
- Jacen Solo by the time he was Caedus had force power to rival Luke. So we upped renewal and gave him MOTF. Advantageous attack is just a gimmie. This needs more testing, he felt really strong, but he also got molly-whopped by a New Republic squad.

Jango Fett, Bounty Hunter (BH37): Add Mandalorian, Damage Reduction 10, Quick Draw, Wrist Cable.
- I haven't tested this guy yet and I'm concerned I've given him one ability too many.

Tier 3: Straight Up Replacements
- Only 1 so far. Grandmaster Luke Skywalker (JA 27) --> Luke Skywalker, Master of the Order (BHC). I honestly don't see any reason to fix GMLS. Just use Luke MotO instead, it's basically the same piece and more or less exactly what I'd do to fix GMLS anyways.

Interesting ideas.

I have a question for clarification: are these adjustments meant to balance these pieces with the game that WotC left us, or with the game that we have now (including 24 V-Sets)? That will have an impact. From the original intent of this thread, I'll assume it's the former: wanting to balance these pieces so that they're effective in the game as WotC left it.

Personally, I've always enjoyed playing GMLS (not that I think he's effective for his cost). I've thought that he just needs a little bit of help on his card to be effective: ideally he should gain GMA, or if not that, then Ambush or Backlash; I guess another option is that he could gain Leaping Assault, but he's already pretty force-starved so I don't consider that a good option. And he also needs a cost adjustment, down to 100pts, or perhaps even 90/95. I do enjoy the 100pt V-Set Luke (and I've played him in several tournaments) but he's quite a different piece than GMLS ever was.
Cassus fett
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 11:59:21 AM

Imyurhukaberry said his intent was for balance with V-sets. Ideally mine should work with V-sets as well but admittedly I’ve only been testing with WOTC for now. GMLS could benefit from GMA for sure, but I think he needs a point chop regardless. I toyed with bringing him down to 85 or 90, but just kinda gave up and said “why wouldn’t I just use MotO instead?”
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 1:03:44 PM

Cassus fett wrote:
Imyurhukaberry said his intent was for balance with V-sets. Ideally mine should work with V-sets as well but admittedly I’ve only been testing with WOTC for now. GMLS could benefit from GMA for sure, but I think he needs a point chop regardless. I toyed with bringing him down to 85 or 90, but just kinda gave up and said “why wouldn’t I just use MotO instead?”
Ok, that makes sense.

Here's the thing: if GMLS' cost dropped to 90 and he gained GMA, I'd personally choose him over Luke MotO in many cases.
Cassus fett
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 2:15:04 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:
Ok, that makes sense.

Here's the thing: if GMLS' cost dropped to 90 and he gained GMA, I'd personally choose him over Luke MotO in many cases.

That’s a very good point. I think it’s probably an either or situation. Either he gets GMA or his cost gets dropped to 90. I think I’d favour dropping to 90 because you might be able to fit more than one other person into the squad to benefit from GMLS’ CE.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2023 12:17:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It's been a while...
Had to step away to move some states over, buy a new house, get kids settled, etc etc.

TINT...
C Fett answered your question for me...but I wanted to point out that I stopped this whole process back in 2021...so I've missed a bit of what's new. (I think I only made it to V22 maybe?)
I did try to look at every interaction with SAs/FPs/CEs...having kept up with the game, I knew most of them but had to learn the newer Vset stuff. Forgive me if I missed something.

I am hoping to get back into doing this...if nothing else but for my benefit...and finishing at least the WOTC old sets (pre-CW maybe). We'll see how far I get. I know COTF was taking me a long time as those were most of the broader Star Wars universe characters that I did not know. So...I had to start looking them all up and learning a lot pretty fast so I could figure out if they needed custom abilities or just stock ones. Yada yada yada.

On a cool note...my son, who is 13 now, has been wanting to play the game again. (bummer, I sold most of my collection, but still got most of Rep & Seps plus all the Fringe) Hopefully he's learned a bit since last time. BlooMilk
Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2023 1:47:24 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
It's been a while...
Had to step away to move some states over, buy a new house, get kids settled, etc etc.

TINT...
C Fett answered your question for me...but I wanted to point out that I stopped this whole process back in 2021...so I've missed a bit of what's new. (I think I only made it to V22 maybe?)
I did try to look at every interaction with SAs/FPs/CEs...having kept up with the game, I knew most of them but had to learn the newer Vset stuff. Forgive me if I missed something.

I am hoping to get back into doing this...if nothing else but for my benefit...and finishing at least the WOTC old sets (pre-CW maybe). We'll see how far I get. I know COTF was taking me a long time as those were most of the broader Star Wars universe characters that I did not know. So...I had to start looking them all up and learning a lot pretty fast so I could figure out if they needed custom abilities or just stock ones. Yada yada yada.

On a cool note...my son, who is 13 now, has been wanting to play the game again. (bummer, I sold most of my collection, but still got most of Rep & Seps plus all the Fringe) Hopefully he's learned a bit since last time. BlooMilk

Eh, I don't think you really missed anything.
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2023 12:14:02 PM

New Tier 1 Solid Design:

Anakin Skywalker, Champion of Nelvaan (CW3): Add, Intuition, Speed 8, Embrace of Pain.

- First thing you may be asking is, "Hey Cassus, after all that whining under Rex/Ahsoka about this Anakin not getting deflect or defense, where is it?"
Well spotted, I didn't include it and went in a different direction. This Anakin does 1 thing and 1 thing only, he plays Yughio (duels, he duels). This Anakin is happiest when he can zip forward and start smacking someone, then stand and bang afterwards (for any 40k fans, I have basically created Lucius the Eternal). Intuition helps him move into position, simple and thematic, in the sequence this Anakin is based on he was running on instinct. Embrace of Pain is the real kicker though, staying power, when you're near death, this Anakin gets spooky. He's insanely fun to play.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2023 6:37:34 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I will see how this looks with all the other Anakins running around...