RegisterDonateLogin

I recognized your Bloo stench when I was brought on board.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : I think its a 17 pt peice of crap
Choice Votes Statistics
its good and you would use it 25 37.878787 %
its crap you would never use it 41 62.121212 %

commando droid Options
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 1:49:54 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

The built in Twin, plus a built in way to increase their damage is very nice. Not having to be dependant on Greivious or Loathsome is nice, and opens up squad building options.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 3:39:19 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sithborg wrote:
The built in Twin, plus a built in way to increase their damage is very nice. Not having to be dependant on Greivious or Loathsome is nice, and opens up squad building options.

I completely agree with this. Options are always a good thing.
juice man
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 9:50:00 AM
Groups: Member

In the spirit of giving Commando Droids a fair look, here is a 200 pt C. D. squad.
C. D. Captain
S. B. D. Commander
C. D. x 8
Gha Nachkt
B. D. Officer
Mouse x 4
Ugg. Demo.
I built this squad around 8 C. D.'s because that's what comes in a case.
Commando Droids, when not moving, with some buddies around them are 15 attack dbbl/twin for 20 damage.
IG-86, not moving, are 17 attack dbbl for 20 damage( 21 att 30 dam with opp.)
Looking at this, if I had 8, IG-86s, I would like to try both droids. But IG-86's have twice the HP's Commando Droids have. I just can't get over that.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 11:02:24 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

and higher Defense, and higher base attack...just no Twin. Built in Twin is the key...along with a natural boost (in groups) up to 20 damage.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:53:38 AM

Built in Twin is great: but not in a Separatist unit. Seps have two very good ways to give droids Twin. If the C. D. were Fringe it might get more respect.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:18:53 AM

juice man wrote:
Built in Twin is great: but not in a Separatist unit. Seps have two very good ways to give droids Twin. If the C. D. were Fringe it might get more respect.

Actually, it's the opposite that is true. You save 57 or 21 points not needing those units with these guys. It also means you can use another GG if you want. That might not be totally ideal at the moment, but sometimes things like this have a way of working later on down the road.
dalsiandon
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:29:48 AM

My only short on the Droid Commando is it''s lack of a defensive abilty. However, it is a sep droid, and can access a great deal of stuff to make it real nasty, the fact that Twin is a base power, and that helps as well, and there are plenty of ways in faction to grant extra attacks to this cat. I'd say depending on the squad would determine using him, or another 17 point droid.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:22:09 AM

Bill, still not convinced. Let's rework that squad.
GGDAC
CD Captain
IG-86 x 6
R7
Mouse x 2
Uggie
Without Roger Roger it will take 3 hits from a CD to kill an IG 86 and they are harder to hit.
The only argument that makes sense is "future set".
Give the CD stealth in a future set. That would be jaw dropping.(and fit the name)
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:38:43 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

And again, you are building around DAC. You don't need him with Commandos, that's the point. Sure, the IG-86's are better most of the time, but the Commandos tend to work better than them without a Greivii. Only using the non-unique commnaders, the commandos end up a bit better on firepower. You have to build around commandos differently than you do with IG-86s.

Take that squad and remove Grevious. What can I bring in to even the odds. How about Gha, a BDO, a BDS, and fodder (Battle Droids and Mice). Thing is, it will work out to be pretty close. I will have more activation, more fodder for you to kill, and I will have combined fire options. Grevious, DAC has become so vital for so many Droid squads, that people seem to have forgotten how to build without him. The commandos will work best in a squad without any of the Greivii, and I think that is what is causing the hate (and likely some high expectations from the show).
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:21:44 AM

Take out Grevious. Bring in Whorm, Gha, 2 IG-86s, and one mouse. That's 8 IGs same # as CDs. If one swaps the IGs for CDs one may get just one more CD and a mouse by removing Whorm. I just feel at 30 HPs the Commando Droids are to fragile.
Well, that is the nature of this poll - useful or not useful. Right now I don't care for the CDs.