RegisterDonateLogin

May not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Bring back GOWK Options
DARTH BAKER
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:50:46 AM
Groups: Member

joelker41 wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
I think people agreed he wasn't too terrible at 200. However, by competitive, do you mean barely able to compete with? Because that is what those 5 "counter" factions were. And when I go to a 30+ tournament, and see 75% of squads being GOWK based or Push based, I think something is wrong. And I am not saying that what happened at Gencon is good either, but the choice was a tough one, considering the major update that had to be made in July. Faced with banning GOWK or abusable maps (Teth), he had to make a call. I gaurentee, you would've seen similar "diversity" at Gencon had GOWK remained legal.
The main difference between GOWK and the Cannon squads, is that they depended heavily on map. You were pretty much screwed no matter what if you weren't prepared to fight GOWK.

Nowhere in my post did I say they were all counter factions. Malak/Jarael/Dash was the best Sith squad configuration at the time. Same for Jedi Hunter swarm for Vong, and LV for Imps. Again, all at that time they were the best for their faction the only difference is they just so happened to be decent/good vs GOWK (and some were designed to take him down and were born from that era).

Rebel Push wasn't nearly as cool before Rieekan so that was a recent development.

Rebel Push and GOWK would have been 75% of the squads? It would be hard to predict when only 1/4 (roughly) of the GenCon squads were the speeder and that is with all the 'top' players playing them. Hell Mandos and Darth sion showed up lol.

Here is the situation before:

Rebel Push beat GOWK like 60% of the time let's say.

Vong destroy Rebel push in virtually every matchup.

Malak/Jarael/Dash can beat GOWK maybe 35% of the time and Vong maybe 1/4 of the time if Jarael and Dash can get some key shots in.

YoBuck can run rings around Malak, Vong, and maybe even Rebel Push if you play right. YoBuck vs GOWK isn't good for YoBuck.

Lord Vader crushes Vong (unless you roll that 1 with Thrawn), Malak, and GOWK. YoBuck and Rebel shooter squads can destroy LV decently well if you play well.

Speedy cannon would show up and have a shot (via extreme run away tactics) at GOWK, while possibly losing to YoBuck.

It was a rock/paper/scissors matchup oriented Meta. Playing against the speeder is an autoloss for anything not named ERC or YoBuck. GOWK could be in for rough matchups against

NR is still somewhere in there with maybe Kyle and Kyp.

That sounds like a very narrow meta compared to what we saw at this last Gencon. I am kidding and I love how serious everyone gets about this subject. Imagine how we would act if we were paid to play this game. I picture shootouts that would closely resemble Tombstone.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:57:58 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Like I said, it was a tough call. Allow the known problem with GOWK, or keep potentially problematic maps (Teth) out. It has been said that it would be unlikely to have both in one update. Most of the top players I respect point out it was the maps, no the squads, that were the issue. Mustafar/Geonosis all over again, except it uses a squad type that is for some reason hated on.
joelker41
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:06:32 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Like I said, it was a tough call. Allow the known problem with GOWK, or keep potentially problematic maps (Teth) out. It has been said that it would be unlikely to have both in one update. Most of the top players I respect point out it was the maps, no the squads, that were the issue. Mustafar/Geonosis all over again, except it uses a squad type that is for some reason hated on.

You will find in narrow and undiverse places of thinking that there are many, many excuses and even more hindsighting oneself to be right.

Both occured before, during, and after GenCon. I have had discussions with the same top players as well and one thing that needs to be fixed here is to stop having the 'fixes' for this game be an 'addition. By subtraction' mindset. Games don't get better when parts of them are removed entirely. That is true in every game I have played.

If something needs to be fixed, ,ake sure whatever you fix doesn't create a larger and significantly more boring game.

I know many players who walked away in this new Slow cannon meta compared to many who simply could play a version of their favorite factions and then have a chance to beat him. Not the case right now.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:10:58 AM

Well, the new update sounds like it will fix a lot of things. I know it has gotten me excited about playing competively again.
joelker41
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:18:37 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Well, the new update sounds like it will fix a lot of things. I know it has gotten me excited about playing competively again.

Banning GOWK sounded like a good idea and removing the majority of new maps sounds like a good idea as well.

And the winning score system I already explained to Dean is one of the big reasons I will never attend GenCon and that is with the probability I could this year.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:56:48 AM

Your loss. Having played in a game with timed wins before, they are not that bad, especially with how I understand it.
seibermaki
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:53:44 AM

Sithborg wrote:
It did at chicago, by getting a points lead and running away. Is that how you want this game to be played.

That's not how I play the game, so I probably would lose as I do 98% of the time. :)

Keep in mind, I'm still a novice player and generally play without considering metas. It's all new to me, but my experience against GOWK is he's unstoppable with anything I have in my collection. Unless I stop caring about getting gambit in the first round, and just keep away from him the whole skirmish.

Wrong topic for it, but my issues are strategy, which is why I'm here.

Even if I used GOWK, I'd probably end up losing...
NickName
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:58:19 AM

joelker41 wrote:

Both occured before, during, and after GenCon. I have had discussions with the same top players as well and one thing that needs to be fixed here is to stop having the 'fixes' for this game be an 'addition. By subtraction' mindset. Games don't get better when parts of them are removed entirely. That is true in every game I have played.

Well, it would not appear to have been true of SWM in the 2007-2008 timeframe which is a game I think you might play. Razz The removal of Mustafar after Gencon 2007 made the game leaps and bounds better, and some maps which never made it to legality in the first place remaining so likely would have been even more dramatic had they been introduced and removed. The GOWK ban didn't work out as well as some hoped for Gencon 2009 but the additions by subtraction were golden for Gencon 2008.
engineer
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:45:21 PM

joelker41 wrote:
Banning GOWK sounded like a good idea and removing the majority of new maps sounds like a good idea as well.

And the winning score system I already explained to Dean is one of the big reasons I will never attend GenCon and that is with the probability I could this year.

I have heard this so many times. "if only this was different, I would attend Gencon and win it all"

I guessing the rest of us really are not missing much by you not attending.
joelker41
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:49:22 PM

engineer wrote:
joelker41 wrote:

I have heard this so many times. "if only this was different, I would attend Gencon and win it all"

Hey I in no way made this personal, I merely stated that my disagreement (which last time I checked I was allowed to have) with the proposed changes to wins and points from them is a big reason I wouldn't attend GenCon.

I never said I would win, I never said I would do anything but possibly attend.

Bullish responses like this simply aren't warranted and quite frankly I am disappointed you would stoop so low.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:35:57 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

engineer wrote:
joelker41 wrote:

Have to back Joel up on this one. What an absolutely ridiculous statement. No where did he say he would come and win it all. Although you may disagree, his opinion is valid and one shared by others.
And knowing Joel personally, you are missing something by him not attending. He's a great guy and really fun to hang out with.
Moff Ivlis
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:57:15 PM

joelker41 wrote:

I hadn't noticed this before, but, wait, what? I'm not sure what games you're playing, but in my experience, it is the failure to remedy broken options that harm games, not remedying them.

I can think of no better example then to contrast the two most recent game systems (other then SW mini's) I have experience with; Wizards of the Coast's Magic: the Gathering versus Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy table top miniature game.

Most of us are probably familiar with the approach WotC has taken with Magic: they have achieved what is arguably the best balanced, competitive game with a strategy of planned obsolescence, banning and restricting powerful cards.

By contrast, GW has consistently allowed their games to languish without the rules getting much attention (the designers are actively contemptuous of the idea of making the game balanced). Blatantly under costed units and options mean that Warhammer, despite being an internationally played game, has a staggeringly striated metagame; there is a chasm between the top tier armies (their equivalents of factions) and other factions.

Unfortunately, the situation with SW minis is more analogous to the model of Warhammer then M:tG; like Warhammer, SWM was (apparently) not designed at base to be a "competitive" game, versus a "casual" game.

That's the elephant in the room here: the DCI guys are taking a system that's not meant to be competitive and trying to trim it back to have a semblance of being competitive.

It boggles my mind here, where we have people on the one hand acknowledge that GOWK is, by any measure, a broken (that is, he's dramatically under costed for his abilities) piece, and on the other hand these same people advocate that GOWK be returned to tournament play.

In my experience, removing broken "stuff" safeguards the life of games, and certainly the competitiveness. M:tG removes broken stuff by having a rigid system that rotates things out of one standard and then bans it from play in other standards. Warhammer simply leaves the broken stuff in, and the metagame periodically undergoes seismic upheavals and then gets set in stone.
DarthJak
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:59:09 AM

OMG still with the GOWK Stuff?OMG

Flapper GOWK is a 4 letter word!Flapper
NickName
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:10:13 PM

ChuckaFett wrote:

And knowing Joel personally, you are missing something by him not attending. He's a great guy and really fun to hang out with.

And similarly, he will be missing out on a bunch of great guys who are really fun to hang out with should he stick with using something as trivial as a tiebreaker scoring system (which hasn't even been implimented to this point) as an excuse not to attend.

Engineer's brevity may obscure his point, but it's not too tough to interpret that the only reason a scoring system could impact attendance is if you think you could win under the old system but not the new. If you don't expect to win, what difference does it make? If you're going there to meet folks you've only talked to online, and play against the best collection of players available at one time/place, what difference does it make? If you're out to have fun with a bunch of likeminded gamers, what difference does it make? (I guess one could assume you prefer playing incomplete games to actually finishing them, but I've yet to meet someone with that opinion even among slower players.)

Whether you like it in theory or not, it seems a bit premature to start making untimatums about it.