RegisterDonateLogin

Any attack made by the Rebels against Bloo Milk would be a useless gesture.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Revan Novel (potential spoilers) Options
Dimetrodon
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 4:39:28 PM
Groups: Member

all i have to say is... wow...

a fair share of it was predictable, some of it because we just already know...

but the ultimate fate of revan, the exile and some characters was a little surprising to say the least.

definitely a good read.

I put a spoiler warning in the thread topic just in case people care to discuss this topic more in depth
jak
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:16:07 AM

can you give us title & author?Huh
trappedslider
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:26:16 AM

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan by Drew Karpyshyn

oddly enough I didn't play KotOR I or II,so i'll be going into the book with no clue just like I did with the Bane trio,which will be nice
Dimetrodon
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:35:22 PM

The Bane books don't need any prior knowledge to jump into really, but this new Revan book kinda does.

It explains anything major you need to know from KOTOR and KOTOR II, but the overall book will mean a lot less without having played the games. specifically the first one.
trappedslider
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:52:33 AM

Dimetrodon wrote:
The Bane books don't need any prior knowledge to jump into really, but this new Revan book kinda does.

It explains anything major you need to know from KOTOR and KOTOR II, but the overall book will mean a lot less without having played the games. specifically the first one.

If i need to play a game I have no interest in playing in order for a book to mean more,then i'll jsut pass on the book...
Dimetrodon
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:10:56 AM

It is like seeing Serenity without Firefly. still a fun movie, but it means greatly less without seeing the show first. That sort of thing.

also, why wouldn't you want to play KOTOR? Don't like video games, or just purely not interested?
trappedslider
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 5:51:25 PM

Dimetrodon wrote:
It is like seeing Serenity without Firefly. still a fun movie, but it means greatly less without seeing the show first. That sort of thing.

also, why wouldn't you want to play KOTOR? Don't like video games, or just purely not interested?

Just not interested
qvos
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:24:32 AM

My Next book, and I ve been waiting for this for a while. Next to the Plageus novel, gotta be the most anticipated SW Novel in quite a while. I'm picking it up today !
Dimetrodon
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:19:26 PM

can't wait to hear your thoughts when you finish qvos
trappedslider
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:03:45 PM

qvos wrote:
My Next book, and I ve been waiting for this for a while. Next to the Plageus novel, gotta be the most anticipated SW Novel in quite a while. I'm picking it up today !

yeah diffently getting the Plageus book,but in regards to the reven book, I may be content with what the chonrology book has on his adventures.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:37:23 PM

trappedslider wrote:

Just not interested

Pity. It's pretty much considered the best WRPG of its generation.
Disturbed-Iggy
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:16:57 PM

Just finished the book it's a good read.
Dimetrodon
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 3:00:33 PM

Yeah I like how it all wraps up. There are a few things they could have ended it with to make the overall story more interesting. but I think it works out well.

One of the few things I thought was odd was no mention of Carth when Revan and Canderous were talking about getting everyone together. But I guess Carth ends up as a high ranking officer and wouldn't have been a choice anyway. But still. not even a mention hehe... ah well...
qvos
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:19:13 AM

Incredible Book! I read it over vacation and I was thoroughly impressed!! One of the best books Ive ever read, And I sure hope that Karpashian writes more Revan stories, Perhaps a trilogy!
Disturbed-Iggy
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:14:52 AM

Makes me wonder how strong a Sith Emperor miniature would be?
qvos
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:17:47 PM

Disturbed-Iggy wrote:
Makes me wonder how strong a Sith Emperor miniature would be?
I thought the same exact thing too!
jak
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 4:23:53 AM

I'm about half way done.
not as exciting as some SW books.
I need more fighting!
For a book titled "Revan" I'm surprised it's not all about him.
peaceHeart & rock-n-roll
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:07:31 AM

I despise that book.
SPOILER ALERT
One of the greatest characters in SW is doomed to spend the rest of his life in a cell to postpone an inevetiable war the Republic would have won. Stupid beyond belief. The Old Republic creators cut short the adventures of an amazing character just to finetune their storyline, Not to mention he managed to trivialize the events of the KOTOR games, suggesting that the incredibly evil unstopable Sith Lord was really just a good guy , Also calling Traya a Dark Jedi and making it sound like a minor nuisance that she was trying to DESTROY THE FORCE AND THE REPUBLIC and almost succeeded. Plus the power creep is unbelieveable. A character that Revan, AND the exile xannot defeat combined???????? And the death of T3 was retarded. He died to save a great character who then 5 minutes later is thrown in jail for the rest of his life.
qvos
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:54:38 AM

corranhorn wrote:
I despise that book.
SPOILER ALERT
One of the greatest characters in SW is doomed to spend the rest of his life in a cell to postpone an inevetiable war the Republic would have won. Stupid beyond belief. The Old Republic creators cut short the adventures of an amazing character just to finetune their storyline, Not to mention he managed to trivialize the events of the KOTOR games, suggesting that the incredibly evil unstopable Sith Lord was really just a good guy , Also calling Traya a Dark Jedi and making it sound like a minor nuisance that she was trying to DESTROY THE FORCE AND THE REPUBLIC and almost succeeded. Plus the power creep is unbelieveable. A character that Revan, AND the exile xannot defeat combined???????? And the death of T3 was retarded. He died to save a great character who then 5 minutes later is thrown in jail for the rest of his life.

In his website, Drew KArpashan acknowledged why he didn't want to use core characters from the game. One of the reasons was that he just couldn't fit them all in. Another is that people get angry when things don't go as the reader wants. T-3 getting rocked is an example of this. Should he limit himself and not tell the story he wanted to because someone might get offended at t-3 dying. T-3 went out a hero.
On the power creep, Actually I though for most of the book, that Power Creep was at a minumum. Revan could have been portrayed as all powerful. I will agree that Power creep was evident in the emperor. That said, I think the new novels, Including Legacy, and Fate of the Jedi, as well as the Force unleashed books push power creep so much that it has turned me off to most EU novels. That does go exactly against what Lucas has said about A force users limitations. Anyway, I thought it was a great book, but can understand what you are saying.
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:06:53 PM

qvos wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
I despise that book.
SPOILER ALERT

In his website, Drew KArpashan acknowledged why he didn't want to use core characters from the game. One of the reasons was that he just couldn't fit them all in. Another is that people get angry when things don't go as the reader wants. T-3 getting rocked is an example of this. Should he limit himself and not tell the story he wanted to because someone might get offended at t-3 dying. T-3 went out a hero.
On the power creep, Actually I though for most of the book, that Power Creep was at a minumum. Revan could have been portrayed as all powerful. I will agree that Power creep was evident in the emperor. That said, I think the new novels, Including Legacy, and Fate of the Jedi, as well as the Force unleashed books push power creep so much that it has turned me off to most EU novels. That does go exactly against what Lucas has said about A force users limitations. Anyway, I thought it was a great book, but can understand what you are saying.

I didn't mention the core characters, although maybe carth or atton would have been nice. Yes, T3 went out a hero, but then the whole justification for his death went out the window 2 pages later. That's not how I want it, thats a matter of how you should treat beloved charaters. Not killing them for shock value. Also, I agree that for the first half of the book power creep was acceptable, although I did think it was unlikely that a member of the " Dark Council" only had one good shot in him. But the Enperor ( hello, that name is sorta taken) is ridiculous.