RegisterDonateLogin

Flies casual.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Battle of Hoth - Underhill Games, Cuyahoga Falls, OH - November 17th, 2012 Options
den25
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:31:14 AM
Groups: Member

WHO: Anyone that shows up.
WHERE: Underhill Games, 1747 State Rd. Cuyahoga FallS, OH 44221
WHEN: Saturday, November 17th, 2012 everyone should show up at noon and we play until the battles over.

Greetings Everyone!

We've been discussing doing a battle of Hoth for a couple of months now and we decided it was time to give it a shot. So this thread has two purposes, first, to inform everybody of the WHERE and WHEN, and second, to open up a discussion concerning ideas of how to run the scenario.

So far our thought process was this: a 1000 point Imperial squad VS a 1000 point Rebel squad. The units allowed would be as follows:

Rebel

Hoth Trooper
Elite Hoth Trooper
Hoth Trooper with Atgar Cannon
Hoth Trooper Officer
Hoth Trooper with Repeating Blaster Cannon
Rebel Leader
Rebel Officer
Rebel Pilot
Rebel Trooper on Tauntaun
Luke Skywalker on Tauntaun
Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Han Solo on Tauntaun
Han Solo of Hoth
Han Solo, rogue
Chewbacca of Hoth
Chewbacca
Chewbacca, Rebel Hero
General Rieekan
Princess Leia, Hoth Commander
Princess Leia
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
Rebel Snowspeeder
Luke's Snowspeeder
Wedge's Snowspeeder
R2-D2
R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
C-3PO
C-3PO and R2-D2
K-3PO
Wedge Antilles, Red Two
Wedge Antilles
Golan Arms DF.9 Anti-Infantry Battery
2-1B
Rebel Troop Cart

Imperial

Snowtrooper
Elite Snowtrooper
Snowtrooper Commander
Snowtrooper with E-Web blaster
General Veers
General Veers, Hologram
Darth Vader, Imperial Commander
Blizzard Scout 1
AT-ST
AT-AT Imperial Walker
At-AT Driver
Elite AT-AT Driver
Imperial Probe Droid - ***added 10/18, can't believe I forgot this one...***

Fringe

Wampa
Rampaging Wampa
R4 Astromech Droid
R5 Astromech Droid
R7 Astromech Droid
Treadwell Droid
Medical Droid
Bacta Tank

Obviously, where multiples of the same unique is listed, you can only choose one. (Although we are toying with the idea if you use the Luke Snowspeeder if/when it get's defeated, you can replace it with another Luke from the list).

Only the Darth Vader form the Battle of Hoth set was put on the list due to the thought that the Imperials already have a big advantage.

We are going to join several maps together, not sure how many at this point.

We are thinking that if the Rebels survive 'X' amount of rounds then they win, otherwise it's the Imperials. Or we could just run the scenario until one side is completely defeated.

We're not sure if we should let players choose which side they are on or randomly determine teams.

Those are the basics. We'd love to see people show up to play, but if you can't, then we'd still like to hear your ideas for playing. Please feel free to add your thoughs or any characters I may have forgotten.

Thanks for reading! Hope to see you for the BATTLE OF HOTH - at Underhill Games on November 17th, 2012!
DARPH NADER
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2012 6:03:30 PM

Dennis, I've been thinking about this and I've got the Chris Preska Echo Base laminated. It might be a good plan to do a multiple fronts for your Hoth event. Additionally I'd like to suggest running another scenario after Hoth, as I've been wanting to run a "Rescue from Jabba's Palace" for some time now. Lemme knw what you think.
R5Don4
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2012 3:03:10 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:
Dennis, I've been thinking about this and I've got the Chris Preska Echo Base laminated. It might be a good plan to do a multiple fronts for your Hoth event. Additionally I'd like to suggest running another scenario after Hoth, as I've been wanting to run a "Rescue from Jabba's Palace" for some time now. Lemme knw what you think.

This is something I'd like to hear more about!
DARPH NADER
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:34:46 AM

We'll chat tomorrow, as I would welcome input.
den25
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 6:46:26 AM

DN,

Multiple fronts is a cool idea. We ran a test of the scenario back on 10/20 using a large map comprised of 3 maps placed end to end longways, with an AT-AT at one end and the Power generator at the other end. From that our idea was to make a large Hoth map based on 6 maps placed length-wise in a 3 wide x 2 high grid:

A - B - C
D - E - F

Where maps A, B, and C are the starting rebel side and D, E, and F are the starting Imperial side. The top of Map B would be where the power generator would be located. We were thinking that following the scenario rules for the Battle of Hoth set, an AT-AT would not be able to target or shoot at the power generator until it moved into the first square of map A, B, or C. We were also thinking of limiting the number of AT-AT's to either 2 or 3.

So, given this information, how would you like us to change it to try doing a multiple fronts idea? I'm really interested in what your take on this could be.

As for Rescue from Jabba's Palace, it sounds like fun. Do you have the scenario already laid out?
den25
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 7:16:02 AM

A couple of questions were raised while doing a smaller test version of the BoH.

1. When an Imperial with CE's is being transported inside the AT-AT, do troops located outside of the AT-AT get the benefit of those CE's? (If they were within 6 if it was a limited range CE). Or, should you not take those CE's into account until the the commander has been unloaded from the AT-AT?

2. Should you still be allowed to use Draw Fire against an AT-AT or be able to re-direct it's damage through bodyguard? The card says that the AT-AT connot benefti from these things but what about it's targets?

3. Using Reneral Rieekan, the rebels got evade, should the Golan Arms DF.9 get an evade chance?

I know that there are rules that can be shown as examples to cover the above questions one way or the other, we just wondered that with a colossal character if it sort of had an "overwhelming presence". Or were there other special rules we missed?

In our smaller battle, using about 600 points for each side, we had one AT-AT with troops inside. It got slaughtered going against the rebels. The rebel side, using a combo of guys in the trenches, Hoth Trooper Officer giving off deadeye, to Elite Hoth Troopers with Gonk droids giving them an additional attack. The rebels made about 75% - 80% of all eveades which really got rough for the Imperials. With 10 of those Elite Hoth troopers with extra attack having the possibility of doing (after damage reduction) 20 points of damage to the AT-AT per round for a total potential damage output of 200 (10 guys) per round.

Yea, that AT-AT lasted 3 rounds. And the Imperials were easily defeated.

Thoughts?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:09:46 AM

Dennis, I’ll try sum up my thoughts as coherently as possible given the fact I’m plagued riddled at the moment.

All of which are merely suggestions…

My idea of multiple fronts is simply an indoor and outdoor simultaneous incursion by the Imperials, wherein you run the AT-AT & AT-ST’s against the speeders, outdoor uniques (Luke & Wedge SnSpeeders, Veers). I like the A-B-C map idea & would recommend two AT-AT’s and if Luke’s or Wedge’s speeder get smoked they can roll a 6> to become ground forces at the point of their crash (LS, HPU and WA, Red 2)

To the question of the CE, I would say they benefit only if the forces are deployed for ground assault, IMO there in stasis & are vulnerable. IMO no Draw Fire for AT-AT they’re tough enough, as for Rieekan he’s on the inside so no Evade if you elect to go the multiple front idea. If not what does the Golan’s card state? If nothing limiting and Rieekan is outside, then I say yes to Evade.
On the inside, setup would be frenetic as the Rebels should be scattered over the map. On Bloo look under Community>Links>SW Mini Maps then Echo Base as that’s the map I have laminated for both Hoth and Jabba scenarios.

Recommended unique minis for inside…
Rebels: (HS, Rogue, PL, HC, Rieekan, K-3PO, C-3PO, R2/ext, Chewie Hoth, 2-1B)
Imps: (Vader, IC & Holo Veers must been adj to Vader)
editor
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:22:08 PM

"IMO no Draw Fire for AT-AT they’re tough enough"

Thanks for your input.

Our question was whether a Rebel could benefit from "Draw Fire" provided by R2/C3 in order to avoid the AT-AT's fire -- not the other way around. ;)

den25
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:18:54 PM

DN,

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, I hope you get to feeling better quickly.

I really like the indoor/outdoor idea. It would certainly play well with more players. Split up the teams, some doing outdoor fighting, others doing the indoor. Cool man! :)

Yea, you have the question reversed for the Draw fire, no biggie, it may become a moot point with the indoor/outdoor play.

What's your idea for the jabba scenario??

Dennis
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:19:59 PM

editor wrote:
"IMO no Draw Fire for AT-AT they’re tough enough"

Thanks for your input.

Our question was whether a Rebel could benefit from "Draw Fire" provided by R2/C3 in order to avoid the AT-AT's fire -- not the other way around. ;)

Ahhhh... I told you guys I was incoherent Wink However no DF as R2/C3 were inside Echo Base, again if you elect to go that route.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:59:17 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
given the fact I’m plagued riddled at the moment.
Sneaky I blame the fleas on the rats

Confused I didn't do it.
Confused I'm non-contagious, you can ask my wife!Love
den25
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:19:22 AM

I'm non-contagious, you can ask my wife!

That's only because you've already made her a carrier!
jak
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:52:10 PM

den25 wrote:
I'm non-contagious, you can ask my wife!

That's only because you've already made her a carrier!

true that, my friendBigGrin She's been carrying my a$$ for 27+ yearsLove
jak
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:47:46 PM

@ all- Gerry's coming down for this! yea!!!!!!!!!!
let's" play, play, play all day"- Dr. Seuss
den25
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:26:44 AM

OK, so here's some questions we need to answer for the BoH this coming Saturday.

We will be doing the battle in two separate scenarios; an outside battle and an inside battle. Here's the questions/points of interest in no particular order:

1. We initially said 1000 points per squad for the outside battle, but with also doing an inside battle we thought we'd lower this number to 800 points per squad. Will this work, or should we stay with 1000 points?

2. For the inside scenario is 250 points good? Or should we try 300?

3. Sould we run the inside scenario at the same time we are running the outside one? Should we wait until the outside one has been going on for a while, or should we wait until the outside scanario is run to run the inside one?

4. Should we randomly determine who's on which side or should we just pick? Also, to run the battles say 6 people show up, 3 would be for the imperials and 3 for the rebels. Within that group of 3, 2 people could run the outside battle and the remaining person run the indoor battle. What do you think?

5. The uniques are as follows:

Outdoor Imperials -
General Veers

Outdoor Rebels -
Lukes Snowspeeder (with Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed on a roll of >6 if the speeder gets smoked)
Wedge's Snowspeeder (with Wedge Antilles, Red Two on a roll of >6 if his speeder gets smoked)
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit

Indoor Imperials -
Darth Vader, Imperial Commander
General Veers, Hologram - but if General Veers is killed in the outside battle, this character is defeated/can't be used
***Also GV, holo must be adjacent do DV

Indoor Rebels -
Han Solo, rogue
Princess Leia, Hoth Commander
Chewbacca of Hoth
R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
C-3PO
General Rieekan
K-3PO
2-1B

Is everyone cool with only using these uniques? Any additions?

6. For non-uniques, they will be taken from those listed in the original post. Any additions?

7. For the outdoor battle, after some discussion, it is felt that there should only be 2 AT-AT's, everyone cool with this?

8. We will use Echo Base for the indoor map. And 6 maps for the outdoor battle set up in a grid 3x2. Thats 3 maps wide and 2 down. With first row A - B - C and second row D - E - F. Map B will be the power generator. Imperials start on the lower end of maps DEF and the Rebs on the upper half of maps ABC.

9. We've got the uniques and the AT-AT's covered, but we will need people to bring more hoth troopers of all types (elite, regular, imperial, rebel and officers), snowspeeders, gun turrets, e-web blasters, AT-ST's etc, etc AND we will need more hoth maps to help make up the 3x2 map grid.

10. Last but not least, based on the responses to the questions above do we want to g ahead and set up the squads now so we can just show up, set up and start playing Saturday?

Ok, that's it for now. Lee said he didn't have a problem with us moving some tables around Saturday to set up for the battle!

GENERAL VEERS, PREPARE YOUR MEN FOR A SURFACE ATTACK!

DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:33:32 PM

As jak has indicated, I will be coming down on Sat! Flapper

In response... & IMO

1. Keep it at 1K.
2. Go with no more than 250.
3. Battles at the same time and maybe rotate players to every other turn. That would certainly make it interesting as you be yanked away from the outside to have to deal with what was going on inside & vice versa.
4. Pick'em but I'm starting on the inside, to facilitate the setups.
5. Good w/the list as I helped already. Wink
6. Again good with what's on it.
7. Two should be enough.
8. NP, I'll obviously be bringing the Echo Base.
9. NP, I'll bring Hoth Maps and let me know what specific pieces (unquies/non uniques) if any should bring?
10. Good either way.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:20:13 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:
As jak has indicated, I will be coming down on Sat! Flapper

In response... & IMO

1. Keep it at 1K.
2. Go with no more than 250.
3. Battles at the same time and maybe rotate players to every other turn. That would certainly make it interesting as you be yanked away from the outside to have to deal with what was going on inside & vice versa.
4. Pick'em but I'm starting on the inside, to facilitate the setups.
5. Good w/the list as I helped already. Wink
6. Again good with what's on it.
7. Two should be enough.
8. NP, I'll obviously be bringing the Echo Base.
9. NP, I'll bring Hoth Maps and let me know what specific pieces (unquies/non uniques) if any should bring?
10. Good either way.
yes you areLOL LOL

I AGREE WITH GERRY, FOR HE IS MY FRIENDLove
den25
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:46:52 AM

den25
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:47:58 AM

So I know that Gerry, Jak and Kreg will be there along with myself this Saturday. Is Joe going to make it? Anyone else? All are welcome!!!
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:33:30 PM

den25 wrote:
So I know that Gerry, Jak and Kreg will be there along with myself this Saturday. Is Joe going to make it? Anyone else? All are welcome!!!

I have a funeral service to attend - ending about noon. Try to be in after.