RegisterDonateLogin

Occassionally maybe thinks you're all right...when you aren't acting like a scoundrel.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Obselete Minis? Options
kenred2
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:06:10 PM
Groups: Member

awesome wrote:
kenred2 wrote:
awesome wrote:
Carth and Maul(cs) are not really that bad,

the ones Id say are obsolete are:
Both Destroyer droids
Droid on STAP
Quinlin Vos(cs)
Vader(starter)
sidiouse(rs, and r&I)
Luke(Universe)
Leia Captive
most obi wans
Garm Bel Iblis(wedge/rieekan and twi lek vigo put him down)
allot of huges

The list goes on, I didnt want to waste allot of time.

The list which I don't find obsolete:
-Both Destroyer droids
-Droid on STAP
(These droids are NON-unique and gain massive bonuses from Battle Droid officer/GG,DAC and perhaps Genosian Overseer)
-Emperor Palpatine (definitely not obsolete, who wouldn't want a walking Force battery that can hold its own ground?)
-Garm (the people have spoken, mainly use Garm for reserves)
-Most huges are not obsolete such as Luke Snowspeeder, Felcor, Rancor, Krayt Dragon, the list goes on)

I said *most* huges, in every set there is 1 0r 2 good ones(for boosters with huges) and about 5 suckish ones,

destroyers are because for 30 or so points you could do way better than that now days,

Emperor palpatine is(its the one holding out lightning not the one with pawn of the dark side) because for 50 points palpy on thrown is defiantly better.

the STAP droid cant go very far, sure he CAN have the CE's but I dont think people will want to, he isnt nearly as good or as cheap as the newer ones.

Ok, this is where I have to disagree... depending on what build you are trying to achieve, Destroyer Droid are never going to be obsolete. 30pts isn't that expensive for already built-in double, plus stacking with Grievous and BDO for SE, DD can potential deal 80 at +16 attack with shielding. If that's not enough, Kazdan's reinforcements can take this guy because he's a solid 30pts. How is this piece obsolete? It's like saying Guri is obsolete, but you know what... give it time to adjust.

Emperor Palpatine and Throne Palp is 7 point difference. One could walk and the other is a crutch. There's not really a comparison because it depends on the squad build. Do you want RS Palp to move around and try to avoid LoS or sit there and wait until someone manage to get couple shots? It depends on the preference.... and I don't find my RS Palp to be obsolete in any way
mercenary_moose
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:26:28 PM

My vote for the most worthless piece in the game is Nute Gunray. He brings in lots of droids, but then hurts them with his CE. So you have a whole bunch of really cheap, really worthless droids, and you had a bunch of cheap, worthless droids to begin with, which isn't a good thing considering most droids' weak base stats.
kenred2
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:34:27 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:
My vote for the most worthless piece in the game is Nute Gunray. He brings in lots of droids, but then hurts them with his CE. So you have a whole bunch of really cheap, really worthless droids, and you had a bunch of cheap, worthless droids to begin with, which isn't a good thing considering most droids' weak base stats.

Uhm... Droids are not subject to Nute Gunray's CE... in fact, why Nute Gunray is still usable with a solid droid army would be his reserves and reinforcements.
Lyrek_Galstan
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:39:57 PM

Of all the pieces listed here, my biggest beef is with the original rebel commando. The elite Commando with Override, of all things, was what cinched it. If they really wanted to make it competitive at all, they'd drop it down to eight or nine points. Yes, Madine makes them usable, finally, but they're still a point sink when compared to the Elite and Veteran Commandos.

And as for Nihilus being underpowered, let's look at it seriously. Sion and Kreia were bigger threats with specific methods to kill in the game, but Nihilus simply required a good old beatdown. Not much of a difference in usefulness. Intimidating, yes, but all-powerful? never.
Gemini1179
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:45:32 PM

awesome wrote:

I don't know what you're defending here. I said that I believed CS Maul was obsolete, not that he's bad. There's a difference. Obsolete implies a previous use, but has now been replaced (in most builds) by newer and better. Some people still love Rolling Cleave, but it's still pretty much a gimmick ability and Maul COTF is better most of the time.

I NEVER put Carth in that position.

Carth is in the "Drastically overcosted and never playable FROM HIS INTRODUCTION" category.

Dare we compare Carth with CS Aurra Sing:

Carth Onasi 37 points
OR
HP: 70
Def: 16
Atk: +7
Dam: 10

Special Abilities
Unique; Pilot; Double Attack; Twin Attack; Deadeye; Intuition; Industrial Repiar 10;

Aurra Sing 37 points
Fringe
HP: 130
Def: 21
Atk: +11
Dam: 20

Special Abilities
Unique; Accurate Shot; Careful Shot +4; Jedi Hunter;

Force Powers
Force 2
Lightsaber Sweep

...Or Boba Fett, Enforcer?

Boba Fett, Enforcer 38 points
Fringe
HP: 100
Def: 19
Atk: +11

Special Abilities
Unique; Acc Shot; BH +4; Missiles 30; Mobile Attack; Evade; Net Gun;

...Or even Luke, Hero of Yavin?

Luke, HoY 35 Points
Rebel
HP: 60
Def: 16
Atk: +8

Special Abilities
Unique; Pilot; Double Attack; Twin Attack; Flurry Attack; Deadly Attack;

Force Powers
Force 3
Lightsaber Deflect

Now... how can you possibly say that Carth "isn't that bad"??
Gemini1179
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:47:27 PM

kenred2 wrote:

Uhm... Droids are not subject to Nute Gunray's CE... in fact, why Nute Gunray is still usable with a solid droid army would be his reserves and reinforcements.

The only problem with that is that Nute kills any Grievous you bring in to help your droids.
kenred2
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:56:16 PM

Gemini1179 wrote:
kenred2 wrote:

The only problem with that is that Nute kills any Grievous you bring in to help your droids.

I personally wouldn't worry about GG, DAC if the support is doing most of the work
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:42:37 PM

Gemini1179 wrote:

Well, without outside help, he can do a potential 80 damage, far more than Boba or Aurra. He also has Intuition, which lets him get into a good position to get off his double/twin or lets him escape being attacked if he loses initiative.
markedman247
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:39:45 AM

Some of the units being listed as obsolete are pretty much subject to the weakness of their faction:

Darth Maul (CS): He is weak because the entire faction is weak for living allies. Outside of having 2 Force Batteries (Sids) and Dark Inspiration, he doesn't have any real way of being improved. Only thing that really helps him is the ChagMerCom and a mouse so that his Deadly Attack is boosted. I personally like the original Darth Maul and don't overestimate the damage a Rolling Cleave can do. It can be the difference between taking a triple from someone and making them have to move.

Nihilus: He's my favorite Sith in the Sith Faction. Sure, he doesn't do anything by himself. However, name one Sith character that can deal with those pesky Nobles without worrying about LoS to other enemies? Don't answer because the only other one is Darth Revan at 88 pts. He doesn't function solely but he is a great nuisance. With access to FR and mouse droids, he can make people annoyed. You do need to run a bigger beat or threat in front of him due to his fragility. But, the looking on a character's face is priceless when they can't get near him because a FelCor is keeping them at bay and he's draining FPs. And now he has a couple of partners that can boost him either with attacks or numbers of attack. Krayt is a good partner in crime with him as Krayt can absorb a tough amount of punishment while Nihilus drains FPs. Will he kill 44 pts of enemies? Probably not. But, removing troublesome pieces with 10 pts (Mouse Droids, Ugs, Nobles) as he just strolls by is still a nifty trick.

Emperor Palpatine (RS): Until a better mobile version of him comes out, the RS is still a viable option. He doesn't get his FPs out as fast as his lazy counterpart but at least he isn't nerfed by a Diplomat.

In this game, never write off a mini as you never know when something may come up that makes them viable again. Obsolete means that no matter how you try to improve it, it becomes more economical to go to the newer one.
graloth
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:50:09 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
Gemini1179 wrote:

Well, without outside help, he can do a potential 80 damage, far more than Boba or Aurra. He also has Intuition, which lets him get into a good position to get off his double/twin or lets him escape being attacked if he loses initiative.
lols your defending carth
i loved this fig when it first came out i had high expectations used him in a 150 build the week after he came out with WEWs. well carth has 1 problem, 7 ATTACK and the OR has no boost for that (jolee bindo dosint count. nor dose the OR have anything with mounted weapon) to hit anything i needed to roll more than 10s. to hit a jedi i needed 17s. sure i had 4 attacks but u take out your dice and roll 4 times see if u hit 17 or higher. btw he always got his quad. why? cause i never had to worrie that he would get hit. every opponent was more worried about the 4 wookees charging 40 at them then a guy in back that cant hit. so thats the only good thing about him your opponent wont care that your using him

so yes hes "THAT BAD".
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:45:04 AM

I never said that Carth was good. He's just really situational, too situational for competitive play.
IG-108
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:41:40 AM

I'm just going to add the Zabrak Fringer to the list here.
joelker41
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:24:12 AM

IG-108 wrote:
I'm just going to add the Zabrak Fringer to the list here.

I strongly disagree, for 11 points it can be a reinforcement figure for Lobot and with Tarpals it has more power than any attacking figure vs. GOWK.

joelker41
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:26:19 AM

My vote goes for old Dash Rendar, if anyone uses the old Dash, shoot them, with a rubber band, not a bullet...
kenred2
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:32:15 AM

joelker41 wrote:
kenred2 wrote:
mercenary_moose wrote:

Try reading the card kenred2, it's a SPECIAL ABILITY not a Commander Effect.

I don't know, is "Allies get -2 Attack and gain Speed 4." a CE? Maybe I need glasses to imply that Droids are not effected by his CE... but again, I don't know, could anyone verify who's right?
Capin_ahab
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:42:09 AM

Kenred2 Read Droid again
"...Not Subject To Commander Effects..."
kenred2
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:45:21 AM

Capin_ahab wrote:
Kenred2 Read Droid again
"...Not Subject To Commander Effects..."

::facepalm::

Seriously, that's the point I was trying to make.... Nute Gunray CE has no effect on Droids because Droids are NOT subject to commander effects, such as Nute Gunray!! Please re-read my original post...

And for future reference... please don't tell me to re-read anything, I studied each and every card and FAQs to pass the DCI Rules Advisor test. Telling me to re-read something is an insult, so again... if you feel that I am wrong about something, correct me, please.
Lyrek_Galstan
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:03:02 PM

joelker41 wrote:
My vote goes for old Dash Rendar, if anyone uses the old Dash, shoot them, with a rubber band, not a bullet...

I'll agree with that. Old Dash isn't anywhere near as impressive as Dash, Renegade Smuggler. One might be good for a peg or two, but the other is simply a roving Dakka distributor who only gets screwed by melee and diplomats. I actually won the IE release tournament in my area store almost exclusively because of Dash and slightly due to Arica.
dalsiandon
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 5:18:26 AM

awesome wrote:

the ones Id say are obsolete are:
Both Destroyer droids
Droid on STAP
Quinlin Vos(cs)
Vader(starter)
sidiouse(rs, and r&I)
Luke(Universe)
Leia Captive
most obi wans
Garm Bel Iblis(wedge/rieekan and twi lek vigo put him down)
allot of huges

The list goes on, I didnt want to waste allot of time.

Carth is that bad, CS maul is not. Never underestemate rolling cleave. Who is Sidious from R&I and RS? You do mean Palpatine as Kenred2 says?

kenred2 wrote:
The list which I don't find obsolete:
-Both Destroyer droids
-Droid on STAP
(These droids are NON-unique and gain massive bonuses from Battle Droid officer/GG,DAC and perhaps Genosian Overseer)
-Emperor Palpatine (definitely not obsolete, who wouldn't want a walking Force battery that can hold its own ground?)
-Garm (the people have spoken, mainly use Garm for reserves)
-Most huges are not obsolete such as Luke Snowspeeder, Felcor, Rancor, Krayt Dragon, the list goes on)

I mostly agree with this. Mostly. The UNI. Rancor was never playable But we all tried. The stap is an iffy one for me.

awesome wrote:
I said *most* huges, in every set there is 1 0r 2 good ones(for boosters with huges) and about 5 suckish ones,

destroyers are because for 30 or so points you could do way better than that now days,

Emperor palpatine is(its the one holding out lightning not the one with pawn of the dark side) because for 50 points palpy on thrown is defiantly better.

the STAP droid cant go very far, sure he CAN have the CE's but I dont think people will want to, he isnt nearly as good or as cheap as the newer ones.

You can do better for points than a destroyer droid. But as stated any non-unique droid can get some serious help. And shields can not be underestemated. Not to mention a possible twin bonus. For 30 points it isn't a bad ranged option for droids. The stap is a one trick pony. Use it once, hope it works and let it die. But again with the right support the Stap can be very effective. And it's cheap enough point wise that lossing it wont cripple your squad.

Palp on thrown is 33 points. Emp Palp from RS and R&I is 40 points. The difference between them is a snowtrooper. And while Palp on the throne is more trendy at the moment a figure that is emplaced can be a hinderence. I like the idea of spending 7 points to walk around and move about. While still being a battery to help my allies. He is by no means obsolute.

I have to say at the moment the only truly obsolute mini is the Old Republic Recruit. Noone else has been so outclassed or made completely worthless by another. The Rebel Commando is a close second with the advant of the same costeed Veteran. And the argument about them above is legit. Why spend an additional 13 points for the Czerka when you can spend 2 points for the ERC? And do the same things?
kenred2
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 5:39:45 AM

Your right that the battle droid on STAP is iffy on the low HP side. And the only help to boost it's attack is up to +9 (+4 from BDO, and 4 from GG,DAC). But for damage-wise and cost is still pretty good. This non-unique piece just makes a very good distraction, because while strafing and twin from GG,DAC dealing that 60 damage would cause your opponent to react towards this piece (and you want your opponent to attack this piece so your support can eliminate what's left), diverting their attack from hitting your main forces. You mainly want this piece to strafe and take care of grunts (or supporting pieces), you don't expect this piece to do more than that. If that's not enough, you can use Darth Sidious's Pawn of the Dark Side to target your Battle droid on stap to strafe again for another 60 damages before it dies. It's well worth it.... it just takes time to adjust your gain/lose situation.