RegisterDonateLogin

Is in command now.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Theorycrafting Contest #1: Max Damage Options
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:51:45 AM
Groups: Member

I might have to drop out. In hindsight, I really shouldn't have even signed up; I underestimated the amount of work and overestimated the amount of free time that I currently have.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:47:00 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Only takes 3 minutes to throw something together... but Vong might be a tough to optimize in this contest.
Cassus fett
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:53:41 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Sorry to hear that. If it might entice you back, your faction can defeat both targets. :-)

Yeah I know :( but I just can't seem to get my squad to work right so i'll lit spryguy continue in my stead, and i'll probably be back for the next theroy craft.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:37:55 AM

While I don't expect to see Zayne Carrick, it occurred to me that my assumptions about die rolls were incomplete. I updated the information about die rolls:

Assumptions about luck/die rolls:
You roll a 15 for initiative. Your opponent then rolls a 5 for initiative. You decide who goes first. On his turns, the enemy just spins the two Targets without doing anything else (top one first, if it matters).
Assume every attack roll hits with the lowest possible number required to hit. EXCEPTION: After a critical hit, your next attack roll is a 1.
Assume every save is failed - both yours and the Targets' saves. Save rolls are the highest possible value that still fails.
For any other die roll (i.e. not an attack roll and not a save), the die roll is the same as whatever the previous die roll was.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:57:15 AM

In addition to Separatists, at least 5 other factions can defeat the targets.

Sith, Imperial, Fringe, and Vong are the factions that are still in the contest. (I believe Darth O with Imperials is our current leader.)

If anyone finds a solution in any other faction, feel free to post it. Or if you find one for the factions listed above, send it to me in Bloomail. (Unless you are the contestant, in which case post it and claim victory!)

FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:44:39 AM

Since Mandalorians are not in play for the contest, I'll throw this out there for the observers who want something to shoot for...

Mandalorians can defeat both Targets with 5 activations that cost a total of 104 points.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:04:24 PM

With 2 people dropped out, TheHutts is our current leader at 2480. Darth O has made a higher claim, but hasn't yet laid out the steps to verify it.

Deadline is tomorrow afternoon (Eastern Time), but if all 3 remaining contestants are done, we can call it early.
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:41:20 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
With 2 people dropped out, TheHutts is our current leader at 2480. Darth O has made a higher claim, but hasn't yet laid out the steps to verify it.

Deadline is tomorrow afternoon (Eastern Time), but if all 3 remaining contestants are done, we can call it early.

I outlined it a few posts up. My original squad can do a definite 2,640 damage if played the way I outlined.
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:13:16 PM

Darth O wrote:
Lol, sweet. I managed to get 22 of my shooters to shoot within 6 of the Czerka. The Czerka needs to start two squares behind the door. Thrawn opens the lift, then the guards nearest the targets move 6 and shoot, leaving a clear lane each time. Once 16 guards have moved to the side and shot, the Czerka moves. This leaves 6 squares in the centre lane free for more shooters. So my original squad does 2,640 damage.

Here it is.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:47:40 AM

Just edges out TheHutts.
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:05:41 AM

Seps can actually kill both targets (doing all 10,000 damage, no Disintegrations) with 47 points.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:09:19 AM

Echo24 wrote:
Seps can actually kill both targets (doing all 10,000 damage, no Disintegrations) with 47 points.

hows that?
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:18:25 AM

CorranHornsux123 wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

hows that?

Nute Gunray
Trianii Scout
Mouse Droid

Nute brings in Whorm with Sep Reinforcements.

I go first, move the Mouse Droid up to open the door. Whorm then moves up and the Trianii moves to right behind him, so both targets have cover from the Mouse and Whorm but the Trianii is within 6. Nute's CE gives the Trianii +4 Attack, so it needs 20s to hit the targets in cover. First roll is a 20, which triggers Flurry Attack, which gets Twin, so the first of the Twin on the Flurry is a 1 and the second one is a 20, triggering another Flurry. Flurries go on forever, technically doing an infinite amount of damage.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:24:23 AM

Echo24 wrote:
CorranHornsux123 wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

hows that?

Nute Gunray
Trianii Scout
Mouse Droid

Nute brings in Whorm with Sep Reinforcements.

I go first, move the Mouse Droid up to open the door. Whorm then moves up and the Trianii moves to right behind him, so both targets have cover from the Mouse and Whorm but the Trianii is within 6. Nute's CE gives the Trianii +4 Attack, so it needs 20s to hit the targets in cover. First roll is a 20, which triggers Flurry Attack, which gets Twin, so the first of the Twin on the Flurry is a 1 and the second one is a 20, triggering another Flurry. Flurries go on forever, technically doing an infinite amount of damage.

Nice - I didn't see that one with the Reinforcements.
markedman247
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:59:55 AM

As a strict aside, I remember this topic on the WotC board, back in the day, and I was able to prove the Damage output of the Yuzzem. Granted, there was only factional basis with fringe elements and 120 damage was a lot in the day. But combined fire on a double claw/rend combo was pretty good then.

Now, the mega damage we do I this game now just overpowers that.

/Waxing nostalgic
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:33:27 AM

And that'll do it... Darth O wins. The unbelievably small prize... input into the next contest. I'll email you with some options. Thanks for playing, everybody!

===
I found (or was told about) squads to defeat the Targets for...

Separatists
Rebel
Imperial
Sith
Mandalorian
Republic

Many squads relied on the Twin/Flurry trick that Echo mentioned. I had intended to make the Flurry trick not work by making the next attack a 1 after a critical hit, but neglected to take into account Twin. Interestingly, the Republic version can most easily be done with the Flame Trooper... as an *attacker* instead of using his flamethrower.

The Rebel and Imperial squads rely on Force Fury. The Mandalorian squad was the most fun to come up with... making 3 different characters switch sides.

Echo's squad above is the lowest cost squad I saw to defeat them. The Rebel/Imperial Galen Marek squads are the fewest activations with 3.

I never found anything for Vong, OR, or NR.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:23:18 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
And that'll do it... Darth O wins. The unbelievably small prize... input into the next contest. I'll email you with some options. Thanks for playing, everybody!

This week will be a week long remembered. It has seen New Zealand win the first Theorycrafting contest, it will soon see the end of Oracle's America's Cup tenure.