RegisterDonateLogin

Doesn't need to see your identification.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Theorycrafting Contest #2: Deep Strike Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:48:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

SCOREBOARD

Overall: Darth O, 1 round, 3 activations, 120 cost

Sith: spryguy1981, 1 round, 5 activations, 195 cost
OR: -
Separatist: -
Republic: Echo24, 1 round, 4 activations, 91 cost
Imperial: Darth O, 1 round, 3 activations, 120 cost
Rebel: FlyingArrow, 1 round, 6 Activations, 160 cost
NR: -
Mandalorian: spryguy1981, 2 rounds, 1 activation, 135 cost
Vong: -
Fringe: FlyingArrow, 6 rounds, 1 activation, 54 cost

CONGRATULATIONS to Darth O and HONORABLE MENTION to spryguy1981!

============
This one is quite a bit more complex since you have to get all the way across the board. It means you need to provide a play by play. Also note that the dice rules have changed considerably from contest #1. Anyone can post squads for any factions. The contest ends after someone's entry stands for 24 hours with no one beating it. If we wind up with duplicate squads, credit for duplicate squads will be the first one posted here... so optimize your squad before posting, since someone could make a quick adjustment (even by just lowering the cost of the squad) and take the lead. But don't wait too long... the clock is ticking!

Honorable Mention to whoever winds up with the best squad for the most different factions.

SCENARIO

Squad size: 200 points
Goal: Your goal is to defeat the enemy in as few rounds as possible. Tiebreaker is fewest activations within the round (as I expect most will figure out a way to win in one round). Second tiebreaker is the lowest cost squad.

Opponent location:
There is one enemy.
You are playing on Offworld Cargo Docks: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12870

You are starting in the right-hand starting zone.
Your enemy is located inside the left lift in the bottom left corner (so the doors are shut to start, and also note that there is a door below the Crane Tower).

Enemy stats:

Target
Cost: 200
HP: 50
Def: 21
Atk: 0
Dmg: 0

Special Ability:
Unique
Evade

Force Powers:
Force 1000
Counter Push 2
Master of the Force 2
(Note that his Counter Push will prevent a Melee attacker from getting a second attack on the same turn, and it may push a shooter out of line of sight to prevent additional attacks.)

On his turns, the opponent just spins the Target without doing anything else. If attacked, the Target will use Evade and Counterpush if possible, but otherwise does nothing. The favored directions for push are: right if possible, then up, then down, then left. If the opponent wins initiative, he will choose to go first.

Assumptions about luck/die rolls:
You roll a 20 for initiative. Your opponent rolls a 19. Every die roll is one lower than the previous die roll, so your first roll during the game will be 18 and it will go down from there. (When it gets down to 1, the next die roll goes back to 20.) If you and your opponent have simultaneous die rolls, such as during initiative, your roll comes first.

Sample
Submissions for this contest will require more detail as you need to specifically list all of your activations. One naive solution is below.

My squad consists of only Cad Bane.

Round 1
1. Cad begins near the bottom right just below the large container. He moves 12 squares to finish on the bottom row just below the second large container.
* Opponent spins

Round 2
1. I win init 18-17. Cad moves 10 squares to finish in the second row from the bottom, next to the door below the Crane Tower.
*Opponent spins

Round 3
1. I win init 16-15. Cad moves 8 squares to open the lift door.
*Opponent spins

Round 4
1. I win init 14-13. Cad moves 1 square to base the target. Attacks target. Attack roll is 12, which hits for 20dmg. Counter Push gives Cad 20dmg and moves Cad up and then right. Cad makes his Twin Attack and rolls 11, which is a hit. Evade roll is 10, so not evaded - 20dmg to Target (40total). Cad takes 20dmg (40 total) from Counter Push, which moves him right 2 squares. Cad can no longer see the target, so no Double Attack.
*Opponent spins

Round 5
1. I win init 9-8. Cad moves to open door.
*Opponent spins

Round 6
1. I win init 7-6. Cad moves to base target. Attack roll is 5, which hits for 20dmg. Target's Counter Push deals 20dmg back to Cad, but the Target is defeated.

This is a really bad submission, but my squad consists of Cad Bane (all by himself) and I finished in the first activation of round 6.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:55:57 PM
Groups: Member

so we just make a team we dont pic a certain faction like last time?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:58:15 PM

CorranHornsux123 wrote:
so we just make a team we dont pic a certain faction like last time?

Correct. The different factions was to make sure we got to see more than just one specific type of build, but everyone was posting stuff for various factions anyway, so it doesn't seem important.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:56:51 PM

Here's a less bad solution and at least sets the bar at a reasonable spot. This is just a cost-trimmed version of everyone's favorite Mace in the Face, which is probably where everyone was going to start anyway. Gets the job done in the first activation of Round 2. Getting it done in 1 round was tougher than I thought, but I'm sure it can be done somehow.

--Theorycrafting #2: T'Surr in Yer Face--
47 General Skywalker
23 Captain Panaka
23 Foul Moudama
16 Chiss Captain
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
8 T'Surr

(134pts. 7 activations)

Round 1
I win init 20-19
1. R2-D2 tows Foul Moudama so that Foul is just below the large container and R2 is right behind him.
2. Rodian Brute runs to be diagonally adjacent to Foul.
3. Foul lifts Brute so that they move up and open the door below the Crane Tower
4. Panaka swaps Brute and T'Surr
5. T'Surr runs up to open the door to the lift

Round 2
I win init 18-17. Defer and allow Target to activate first.
1. T'surr bases Target. Attack roll is 16, which with Momentum and Deceptive hits for 50dmg. Counter Push kills the T'Surr, but the job is done.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:13:23 PM

Quinlin is awesome

R2 9
Mas 8
Panaka 23
Amanin Scout 13
Quinlin Vos Double Agent 39

R2 starts behind the Amanin Scout and tows (pushes the scout up) so that the Scout is in the last square below the large container on the bottom of the map and R2 is right behind him. R2 Overrides the Door open. Amanin runs (with wheeled form) 18 squares to be adjacent to the turbolift door. Panaka swaps in Quinlin up who steps adjacent and rolls a 18 on attack (crit from vaapad plus assassin so 50 damage). Takes 20 form counter push and lives to see another day!!!

92 Pts, killed him on the 4th activation of the skirmish (r2, amanin, panaka, quinlin).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:23:08 PM

Wow - impressive.

urbanjedi as the current leader: 1 round, 4 activations, 104 cost (edit down to 92 cost)
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:28:11 PM

updated my squad, down to 92 points
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:28:36 PM

I'm also interested in seeing 1st round solutions in other factions, even if you can't beat the current top speed (4 activations). I'm kind of thinking it will be hard (impossible?) for any faction to match Doombot.

I initially had the Target with 130 HP, but I thought people wouldn't want to draw up the plans for something that intricate. (If you can't kill him in 1 attack, the Counter Push either activates Evade or prevents a 2nd Melee Attack... either way, it's hard to kill him in one activation with that many HP.) Maybe I should have left it, because urbanjedi made this look really easy. BigGrin
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:44:25 PM

I came up with an Imp build that can do it in 97 pts (8 characters 6th activation)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:49:49 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I came up with an Imp build that can do it in 97 pts (8 characters 6th activation)

Details or it didn't happen.

ThumpUp
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:57:29 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
SCOREBOARD

Overall: urbanjedi, 1 round, 4 activations, 92 cost

Sith: -
OR: -
Separatist: -
Republic: urbanjedi, 1 round, 4 activations, 92 cost
Imperial: -
Rebel: -
NR: -
Mandalorian: -
Vong: -
Fringe: FlyingArrow, 6 rounds, 1 activation, 54 cost

============
This one is quite a bit more complex since you have to get all the way across the board. It means you need to provide a play by play. Also note that the dice rules have changed considerably from contest #1. Anyone can post squads for any factions. The contest ends after someone's entry stands for 24 hours with no one beating it. If we wind up with duplicate squads, credit for duplicate squads will be the first one posted here... so optimize your squad before posting, since someone could make a quick adjustment (even by just lowering the cost of the squad) and take the lead. But don't wait too long... the clock is ticking!

Honorable Mention to whoever winds up with the best squad for the most different factions.

SCENARIO

Squad size: 200 points
Goal: Your goal is to defeat the enemy in as few rounds as possible. Tiebreaker is fewest activations within the round (as I expect most will figure out a way to win in one round). Second tiebreaker is the lowest cost squad.

Opponent location:
There is one enemy.
You are playing on Offworld Cargo Docks: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12870

You are starting in the right-hand starting zone.
Your enemy is located inside the left lift in the bottom left corner (so the doors are shut to start, and also note that there is a door below the Crane Tower).

Enemy stats:

Target
Cost: 200
HP: 50
Def: 21
Atk: 0
Dmg: 0

Special Ability:
Unique
Evade

Force Powers:
Force 1000
Counter Push 2
Master of the Force 2
(Note that his Counter Push will prevent a Melee attacker from getting a second attack on the same turn, and it may push a shooter out of line of sight to prevent additional attacks.)

On his turns, the opponent just spins the Target without doing anything else. If attacked, the Target will use Evade and Counterpush if possible, but otherwise does nothing. The favored directions for push are: right if possible, then up, then down, then left. If the opponent wins initiative, he will choose to go first.

Assumptions about luck/die rolls:
You roll a 20 for initiative. Your opponent rolls a 19. Every die roll is one lower than the previous die roll, so your first roll during the game will be 18 and it will go down from there. (When it gets down to 1, the next die roll goes back to 20.) If you and your opponent have simultaneous die rolls, such as during initiative, your roll comes first.

Sample
Submissions for this contest will require more detail as you need to specifically list all of your activations. One naive solution is below.

My squad consists of only Cad Bane.

Round 1
1. Cad begins near the bottom right just below the large container. He moves 12 squares to finish on the bottom row just below the second large container.
* Opponent spins

Round 2
1. I win init 18-17. Cad moves 10 squares to finish in the second row from the bottom, next to the door below the Crane Tower.
*Opponent spins

Round 3
1. I win init 16-15. Cad moves 8 squares to open the lift door.
*Opponent spins

Round 4
1. I win init 14-13. Cad moves 1 square to base the target. Attacks target. Attack roll is 12, which hits for 20dmg. Counter Push gives Cad 20dmg and moves Cad up and then right. Cad makes his Twin Attack and rolls 11, which is a hit. Evade roll is 10, so not evaded - 20dmg to Target (40total). Cad takes 20dmg (40 total) from Counter Push, which moves him right 2 squares. Cad can no longer see the target, so no Double Attack.
*Opponent spins

Round 5
1. I win init 9-8. Cad moves to open door.
*Opponent spins

Round 6
1. I win init 7-6. Cad moves to base target. Attack roll is 5, which hits for 20dmg. Target's Counter Push deals 20dmg back to Cad, but the Target is defeated.

This is a really bad submission, but my squad consists of Cad Bane (all by himself) and I finished in the first activation of round 6.

here is an image for some help red line is where you start and the yellow box is where your opponent is.

Hope tht helps ThumpUp
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:04:13 PM

Thanks! I copied it to the first post.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:05:17 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Thanks! I copied it to the first post.

Your welcome :3 BlooMilk
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:06:08 PM

If you insist, was just trying to give others a chance

2x Zyg Slaver 16
Mas Ameda 8
Chiss Captain 16
Gamorean Thug 14
Thrawn 32
Rodian Brute 3
R7 8

One Zyg can start pretty much wherever. 2nd Zyg has to start so that when he runs 6 he gets to the square right after the 2 green squares (basically the T area). rodian to his right. R7 below him. Use first Zyg run rodian 10 so he is in the square that is just to the left of the top corner of the 2x2 grey box (12 away from the door). Use 2nd Zyg to run 6 and hit the rodian again, who then runs to the door. R7 goes to where Rodian just left and overrides the door open. Rodian takes its actual turn and runs to the door by the turbolift. Swap in the Gamorean, run in adjacent and kill him (opp + deceptive do the 50).

CorranHornsux123
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:08:13 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
If you insist, was just trying to give others a chance

2x Zyg Slaver 16
Mas Ameda 8
Chiss Captain 16
Gamorean Thug 14
Thrawn 32
Rodian Brute 3
R7 8

One Zyg can start pretty much wherever. 2nd Zyg has to start so that when he runs 6 he gets to the square right after the 2 green squares (basically the T area). rodian to his right. R7 below him. Use first Zyg run rodian 10 so he is in the square that is just to the left of the top corner of the 2x2 grey box (12 away from the door). Use 2nd Zyg to run 6 and hit the rodian again, who then runs to the door. R7 goes to where Rodian just left and overrides the door open. Rodian takes its actual turn and runs to the door by the turbolift. Swap in the Gamorean, run in adjacent and kill him (opp + deceptive do the 50).

what about the opponents counter push?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:10:54 PM

CorranHornsux123 wrote:
what about the opponents counter push?

Counterpush doesn't cancel the attack - it just causes damage to the attacker and moves them. 50 damage will kill the Target.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:29:02 PM

I can a fun Rebels (including a failed evade save for the kill) for 144

3x Zyg 24
4x Rodian 12
Squib Trader 10
K3P0 20
Han Smuggler 27
Princess Leia 20
Momaw Nadon 15
Dr E. 16

1 Zygs and 1 rodian set up as in the Imp formation. Zyg 3 starts wherever. Zyg 4 starts just above the brown 2x2 box (almost the middle of the map). Momaw starts by him. Rodian 2 starts on top the gray circle art (4 squares in in the 1 wide passage). DR E. Starts to his right. the last 2 rodians and the squib start adjacent to DR E and line up in the 2nd square (each of them next to one of the yellow difficult terrain squares). Every one else doesn't matter where they start. Zyg and Rodian on the bottom go same as Imperial build to get the rodian next to the door. Squib goes and gives a rodian relay orders. Momaw goes and War Throats (which would normally kill 3 rodians and the squib) and DR E saves them all with avoid defeat (18,17 16,15, 14,13 for the 3 adjacent rodians and 12,11 for the squib). Zyg 3 goes and hits the rodian with relay orders and he runs so he is in one of the squares to the left of the 2x3 grey cargo container which is 10 or 11 depending on which suare he starts in. Zyg 4 goes and runs 6 down the row of 2x2 cargo containers and hits the same rodian who runs 12 more toward the open door. Then the rodian goes and runs through the dorr and around the corner so he is still holding the door open. Then K3P0 goes and swaps Han for the rodian who was originally holding the door open (not the one with relay orders). Han then runs up and opens the turbolift door (staying within 6 of the rodian with relay orders). Leia goes and gives Han the attack (roll is 10 which makes a 28 for 50 with Leia's +4+10) and the target fails the evade (with a 9).

Whew.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:52:35 PM

Ok so my team is Rebels

Crix Madine, SpecForce Commander
SpecForce Marine x2
R2-D2
Rebel Trooper
(87 points total for my team)

i start closet to my enemy thanks to Madines Foward positioning. then Pink dot with #1 moves 6 tht to Madine. my first person to move is the Rebel trooper he moves 11 squares to open the door. then R2 moves 12 to open the door then overrides the door open to reveal the enemy. Morgan Corde uses charging fire (shes pink dot with M on it) and shoots twice for 40 (cant evade because of suppressive fire). then SpecForce moves 12 and bases the enemy and shoots to kill. round end i win ^_^

Light Blue line shows my half of the map. the black line shows R2's Override's LOS and the white lines shows where i had LOS with Morgan.
Darth O
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:09:18 PM

33 Emperor on Throne
32 Thrawn
16 Gilad
8 mas
31 Corde
16 security stormtrooper officer

3 activations
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:13:58 PM

CorranHornsux123 wrote:
Ok so my team is Rebels

Crix Madine, SpecForce Commander
SpecForce Marine x2
R2-D2
Rebel Trooper
(87 points total for my team)

i start closet to my enemy thanks to Madines Foward positioning. then Pink dot with #1 moves 6 tht to Madine. my first person to move is the Rebel trooper he moves 11 squares to open the door. then R2 moves 12 to open the door then overrides the door open to reveal the enemy. Morgan Corde uses charging fire (shes pink dot with M on it) and shoots twice for 40 (cant evade because of suppressive fire). then SpecForce moves 12 and bases the enemy and shoots to kill. round end i win ^_^

Light Blue line shows my half of the map. the black line shows R2's Override's LOS and the white lines shows where i had LOS with Morgan.

This doesn't work as only Crix has forward positioning so only he can set-up wherever he wants. The rest of your squad must still start in the starting area.