RegisterDonateLogin

What if I told you that Bloo Milk was now under the control of a dark lord of the Sith?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Which maps in Map Pack 5 should be on the Restricted List? Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:06:37 PM
Groups: Member

Part of the difficulty with Alien Warzone is that there are only 3 actual paths of engagement, and 2 of them (the top and bottom paths) are quite restricted. That will lead to a relatively predictable game, and often with a stalemate situation, where the first person to extend themselves will lose. I agree that the shooting lanes aren't quite as bad as they look at first, though.

To improve the map, I'd probably put a 3-square long door through the gambit zone, right next to where the vong-forming has started to creep in (ie, east of where the 2 small doors are right now). I'd also probably suggest a hole in the wall, both north of the gambit zone, as well as south of it. This would allow for some more creative paths of engagement. The art looks phenomenal on this one, though!
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 9:29:31 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Maybe I should've been more clear? I like the map with the proposed changes, not as it is currently.

OK, thanks for the clarification i thought you didn't like it in any fashion.

I agree that the map would be better with huge access to the center and it was something it tried to work into the initial design. It would be better if huges could get across the map but then you start to really open up shooting lanes.

I have a theory that maps that cater to huges will always favor shooters over melee just because having 9 square landing spots and 2 square gaps in walls opens up LOS too much in the game to allow covered advances. The best huge maps are shooting galleries.

So you end up with the balance of Shooter/huge or melee map.

Why the lack of attention for huge movement was avoided in this map is because shooting angles that allow too much covered area generally causes analysis paralysis and slows games down. If you get pinned down in, or close to, your starting area you will have to move really cautiously to move forward.

This is exactly what happened on Theed in my game v Gerry. We both had shooters with movement breakers and even with the decent central blocking walls on theed the huge 3+ square wide streets meant that both of us had to count and recount squares trying to get to the center carefully.

If you remove that aspect but making it pretty clear you can get to within 12-16 spaces of gambit with no fear of shots then the game should reach engagement rounds quicker.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 9:30:27 AM

Jedicartographer wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
Hmm, at first i thought it was (there are 9 square landing zones for huges around the central gambit area) but it looks like there are one square openings to get to the center of the map which prevents squeezing.

I know i tried to get huges into the center and had difficulty when i was penciling the map, i thought Matt had cracked it, but maybe not.

It would be easy to fix with a few walls removed (8) as shown below. That would open up the center for huges, they won't be able to get from one side to the other or take gambit but they have LOS to a significant portion of the center.

as for the other maps, i'll have to take some time later to analyze them later.

I think I can tweak the acolytes tomb to be restricted no problem.

That would be awesome if you could do that, Matt.

Congrats on getting your project funded.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 9:55:10 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

fingersandteeth wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
Maybe I should've been more clear? I like the map with the proposed changes, not as it is currently.

OK, thanks for the clarification i thought you didn't like it in any fashion.

I agree that the map would be better with huge access to the center and it was something it tried to work into the initial design. It would be better if huges could get across the map but then you start to really open up shooting lanes.

I have a theory that maps that cater to huges will always favor shooters over melee just because having 9 square landing spots and 2 square gaps in walls opens up LOS too much in the game to allow covered advances. The best huge maps are shooting galleries.

So you end up with the balance of Shooter/huge or melee map.

Why the lack of attention for huge movement was avoided in this map is because shooting angles that allow too much covered area generally causes analysis paralysis and slows games down. If you get pinned down in, or close to, your starting area you will have to move really cautiously to move forward.

This is exactly what happened on Theed in my game v Gerry. We both had shooters with movement breakers and even with the decent central blocking walls on theed the huge 3+ square wide streets meant that both of us had to count and recount squares trying to get to the center carefully.

If you remove that aspect but making it pretty clear you can get to within 12-16 spaces of gambit with no fear of shots then the game should reach engagement rounds quicker.

That is a good theory. Large sections of rows 3+ squares wide are obviously going to be shooting galleries. Also, the belief that Huges needs to get everywhere on the map. That isn't necessarily the case. With the fixes, the map, while not super advantageous to huges, gives them plenty of 2 square hallways and 3x3 landing spots. There is still a few spots protected in Gambit from Huges, but that is fine. Big difference between being a tough game, and not even being able to compete.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 7:31:07 PM

I'll level with you, other than cutting a bit out here and there, the maps are going to stay as they are. Its just way too late in the game for me to be tooling with these. I just collected almost 10k from people, most of whom are strangers and most of whom don't even play SW minis let alone play competitively, and I can't keep them waiting.

For what it's worth, I consciously ignored movement needs of huge pieces this time around on some of the maps. I agree with Deri: Huge friendly generally means advantage shooter. on the other hand a few maps are really shooty, with a lot of spaces for huge peieces, BUT...they're too open in general (Blue Squadron Headquarters is on example, but I don't think I've posted that one yet.

It's possible that the other mystery map(Oasis City) is a candidate, BUT, with only 100 copies in production its not going to really be readily available.

lol...I'm starting to feel guilty about releasing 14 new maps and other than one of them, not really resticted quality. Next time I'll leave 2 or 3 slots open for Deri to create some some layouts.

Jedicartographer
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 7:37:17 PM

Also I disagree about Mercenary Camp. I don't really agree that there aren't safe places for set up.

And to say the bunker map is "clearly" a scenario map isn't really fair either. It's not restricted quality, but to call it a scenario map isn't really accurate. Between the trees, large radar towers, and 3 entrances into the bunker it's there are some safe approaches from the east side of the map and it's appropriate for a standard home game.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 8:25:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Jedicartographer wrote:
lol...I'm starting to feel guilty about releasing 14 new maps and other than one of them, not really resticted quality. Next time I'll leave 2 or 3 slots open for Deri to create some some layouts.

I wouldn't worry about it. We're just glad to have new maps! I voted for 3 for the Restricted list, with another 4 having potential. (Of course, all just first impressions.)

Also, I think that with the proliferation of options to counter a Lancer, some older maps may now be eligible for the Restricted List, too. I think some are kept off the Restricted list in part because a Lancer can just tear through the backfield too easily. With more Jedi Reflexes, Djem So, etc, it may be possible for a map like Remote Listening Post to make the Restricted List. I like that map a lot, but I know that someone setting up outside is just dead against a Lancer from the outset. Or at least they were when it came out.

That's what I had in mind with Mercenary Camp - Lancer vulnerability. So if Lancers are less of a concern overall, it may be less of a concern for Mercenary Camp. Also, it is possible to get into a building pretty quickly from either side of Mercenary Camp, and you can't shoot from one end to the other so there is some safety on the starting zones. So that one could be a possibility, too. I'm going to add to my list of maybes.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 8:33:07 PM

I'd be especially interested in hearing anyone's opinion on the maps I thought were ready for the Restricted list:
Capital City 1
Great Library
Trade Center Plaza

Also interested to hear opinions on Oceanic Facility.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:51:05 AM

Jedicartographer wrote:
I'll level with you, other than cutting a bit out here and there, the maps are going to stay as they are. Its just way too late in the game for me to be tooling with these. I just collected almost 10k from people, most of whom are strangers and most of whom don't even play SW minis let alone play competitively, and I can't keep them waiting.

I don't expect you to make wholesale changes now. You have a commitment to upkeep and you have to honor that in a timely fashion.

If you are able to just remove those 8 square edge walls then awesome, its all that map needs, if not then no worries.

DARPH NADER
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:41:12 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I'd be especially interested in hearing anyone's opinion on the maps I thought were ready for the Restricted list:
Capital City 1
Great Library
Trade Center Plaza

Also interested to hear opinions on Oceanic Facility.

I will comment on the Great Library/Jedi Archives as this was the map I had commissioned as part of the Anchorhead run. For a long time I felt we needed a Jedi archive and I based the idea on the CW eppy where Cad Bane and Todo stole the holocrons. So a holocron vault was a necessity in the overall build, during the process Matt and myself traded ideas etc... and thus the library came to life. I specifically chose the colour scheme to model the Jedi library on Coruscant but the layout really lends itself to being more of a remote world archive.

IMO I feel this is going to be a great melee map and should be included in the "Restricted" list (biased, well a little). As well as being balanced the low cover and library cases create a claustrophic setup for melee in the gambit zone; while the shooters will have to really look to pick their spots to get shots through.

This map could also lend itself to some fun CW/OR scenario based play as well. Time for a Jocasta Nu?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 9:19:22 PM

Bump.

Thanks for all the discussion on this. Still interested if anyone else has an opinion. A preliminary image for the last map went up briefly but has been taken down. Maps should be shipped out shortly anyway.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 4:34:34 PM

With maps in hand, I edited the original post to use the official names as printed on the maps.

The Capital City maps now have names:
Starport District
Residential District
Financial District
Commercial District

NOW: Tomb of the Acolytes
WAS: Acolytes' Tomb

NOW: Dark Academy
WAS: Dark Arts Academy

NOW: Ice Fortress North / Ice Fortress South
WAS: Snow Base North/South

NOW: Mercenary Base
WAS: Mercenary Camp

NOW: Imperial Plaza
WAS: Trade Center Plaza

Unchanged:
Great Library
Oceanic Facility
Alien Warzone

New (not yet named or not yet announced when I made the original post):
Outpost Oasis
Wilderness Bunker
Blue Squadron Base
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 4:57:55 PM

In our first games on the new maps, I went straight to some of the ones I thought had the best chance at the restricted list.

Two games on Imperial Plaza. (I was in the first game but not the second.) I still think it's good for the Restricted list, but I didn't like it as much as I expected. I thought my game went very slow because I started on the left bottom, and approaching through the buildings was slow. The players in the second game did all their fighting in the street and they seemed to like it better than I did, so I definitely want to play on it again soon.

One game on Great Library (I wasn't in it). Big surprise was that huges can't get from one side of the map to the other. I hadn't noticed that previously, although a huge can get to gambit. Despite that, both players liked the map - even the player with the Bantha. I think it's probably good for restricted, but it needs more games played on it - especially with huges.

One game on Oceanic Facility. This one was a lot of fun to play on. I was on the right side and the left side did not attempt to park in gambit. My concern with this map is that it looks like the left side has far easier access to protected gambit, and then the right side has a tough approach to engage. In our match, the left side charged right in at me (and beat me), so the gambit issue was a moot point.

Someone should try to exploit the gambit issue before this makes the restricted list. In particular, the top right corner of the Managers Office is in gambit and the left side can reach it in round one with virtually any movement breaker. The right side can easily reach the north-south hallway for round one gambit, but that seems much more vulnerable than the Managers Office. Of course, if that's the case anyone bringing this map would just plan to start on the right side so I guess that sort of balances itself. Anyway, this map was enough fun that I'm tentatively changing my vote (as if I have a vote) to 'in' on the restricted list.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:09:59 PM

Maps with flip sides noted (for kezzamachine's benefit for when the visual guide is updated).

(4 Capital City maps)
Starport District / Great Library
Business District / Mercenary Base
Financial District / Dark Academy
Residential District / Alien Warzone

Ice Fortress North / Imperial Plaza
Ice Fortress South / Tomb of the Acolytes
Oceanic Facility / Outpost Oasis

Wilderness Bunker / Blue Squadron Base
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 7:41:43 PM

Keep in mind that I will likely delay the Floor Rules this year until Late Feb/Early March as that will give us more time to review the large amount of maps that came in. I haven't picked up my set yet either, but I knew I'd likely be delaying it anyway.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:58:30 AM

The Celestial Warrior wrote:
Keep in mind that I will likely delay the Floor Rules this year until Late Feb/Early March as that will give us more time to review the large amount of maps that came in. I haven't picked up my set yet either, but I knew I'd likely be delaying it anyway.

Brad might I request that the floor rules revisions be made prior to FrostyCon. I would very much like for the 200 event to reflect the current state of the competitve game. I have also entertained the thought of turning it into the first Regional of 2014. Provided of course the cards are available as well. Thanks!
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:11:16 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:
The Celestial Warrior wrote:

Brad might I request that the floor rules revisions be made prior to FrostyCon. I would very much like for the 200 event to reflect the current state of the competitve game. I have also entertained the thought of turning it into the first Regional of 2014. Provided of course the cards are available as well. Thanks!

It's a possibility, but not a promise. That's right on the beginning edge of my timeframe.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:21:18 PM

Much obilged.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:50:57 PM

So now that I've gotten all of my maps laminated, now that I have had a chance to really eye ball them & would recommend the following be considered for inclusion.

1. Financial District - The new and improved "Grand Plaza" IMO.

2. Tomb of the Acolytes

3. Great Library

4. Imperial Plaza
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 1:29:58 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
So now that I've gotten all of my maps laminated, now that I have had a chance to really eye ball them & would recommend the following be considered for inclusion.

1. Financial District - The new and improved "Grand Plaza" IMO.

2. Tomb of the Acolytes

3. Great Library

4. Imperial Plaza

Any why's?