RegisterDonateLogin

Your cells have the highest concentration of Bloo Milk I have ever seen in a life-form.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Which maps in Map Pack 5 should be on the Restricted List? Options
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 3:42:54 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The Celestial Warrior wrote:
Keep in mind that I will likely delay the Floor Rules this year until Late Feb/Early March as that will give us more time to review the large amount of maps that came in. I haven't picked up my set yet either, but I knew I'd likely be delaying it anyway.

Perhaps I can get them added to MapExplorer sometime soonish to facilitate the review process...
DARPH NADER
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 4:06:12 PM
Groups: Member

DARPH NADER wrote:
So now that I've gotten all of my maps laminated, now that I have had a chance to really eye ball them & would recommend the following be considered for inclusion.

1. Financial District - The new and improved "Grand Plaza" IMO.

2. Tomb of the Acolytes

3. Great Library

4. Imperial Plaza

Any why's?

Sorry I'll fill in the blanks.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:49:04 PM

Played on 3 new maps yesterday:

Starport District: Still no objections to this one on my part. Rebel Aces versus Melee Republic, so both sides wanted to engage adjacent. The Aces shot as much as possible beforehand, though. All of the conflict happened right by the starship and it worked well.

Outpost Oasis: I would need to play on this one again. As it played out, conflict was in the streets and it didn't go so well for the more melee-heavy squad. The winning squad was also more melee than shooty, but even the few shooters they had dominated the streets completely. If the melee squad came through the Union Headquarters in the center, it might have worked out to be more balanced. (That's also where gambit is anyway.)

Alien Warzone (Vong-formed Coruscant): This was a quick 150 game at the end where one squad was 100-pt Sidious + Vader Unleashed, so the map hardly played any role. It was just a straight rush at each other that had an epic ending. Momaw + R7 is all that's left versus Vader with 20 HP left. War Throat, failed Armor save (including reroll). Lock the door. Init, open the door, War Throat, failed Armor save (including reroll).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:49:36 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:
So now that I've gotten all of my maps laminated, now that I have had a chance to really eye ball them & would recommend the following be considered for inclusion.

1. Financial District - The new and improved "Grand Plaza" IMO.

2. Tomb of the Acolytes

3. Great Library

4. Imperial Plaza

Any why's?

Sorry I'll fill in the blanks.

Any more details on the why's?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:59:31 PM

FA... My reasons for the great library have already been stated in an early post within the thread. As for the others I'll address when I get a chance. FrostyCon details take precedence now that I'm feeling better.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 12:27:59 PM

They've been out for over a month now. Anyone else have opinions? So many maps that I haven't even played on half of them yet. We've started with the ones that I think have the best chance for the restricted list and so far no surprises other than the fact that you can't get from one side to the other with a huge on Great Library. You can get to gambit, though, so I think it's still good for Restricted. I like Tomb of the Acolytes for restricted, too.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 2:19:13 PM

Still waiting to get my pack of them, but I will post when it comes
Jedicartographer
Posted: Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:25:02 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
They've been out for over a month now. Anyone else have opinions?

I'll be honest with you, the vast majority of people that bought these this time around, don't play the game. I think I had about 140 total orders, and maybe 20-30 people were names I recoginized as SWM players.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:02:35 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
They've been out for over a month now. Anyone else have opinions? So many maps that I haven't even played on half of them yet. We've started with the ones that I think have the best chance for the restricted list and so far no surprises other than the fact that you can't get from one side to the other with a huge on Great Library. You can get to gambit, though, so I think it's still good for Restricted. I like Tomb of the Acolytes for restricted, too.

I've been pretty busy with work and prep for FrostyCon. However I've had an opportunity to play on GL and TotA and like both of them, my reasons for inclusion of GL was detailed earlier in this thread.

As for TotA, I like to see it replace the clugy Simulation Deck as the new mirror image map. Gambit is accessible using movement breakers or swap and I simply like the feel of how the map draws opponents into the central portion not overly shooter friendly but not so restrictive as to neuter shooters.

Next, I've looked at Imperial Plaza and each time I just get put off by the protected gambit on the left side and it seems to me that battle would be engaged either along the top or through the center. Therefore I'd only endorse it fo restricted should it replace a Cargo Docks or Nightclub.

Lastly, the Financial District is a great evolution as the next generation replacement for Grand Plaza. With suitable protection for commanders on either side this map it allows for a more even playing field should Strafe be involved. It looks and feels much the same as GP, with long shooting lanes and equal access to gambit.

I'll be take a longer look at the Oceanic Facilityand Alien Warzone to offer an opinion. Right now I'd say the three maps above should be Restricted.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:28:38 AM

I only got my maps yesterday - I look forward to trying them out!
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:19:48 PM

I like these for restricted for sure:

Great Library : Looks like it will play similar to the one of Chris West's maps that is on the list.

Starport: Reminds me of a cross between ravaged base and Bespin

Tomb of acolytes : Looks to be a very good Rock map as there aren't too many long lines and you have to be pretty close to attack each other.

Others that I could go either way on for restricted
Alien Warzone : looks too much to me like the old jedi temple that was removed from the restricted list.

Financial District : I don't like the fact that it is a little more open in the gambit area than the original muun, but it might be worth a shot on the restricted list.

TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:26:18 PM

urbanjedi wrote:

Others that I could go either way on for restricted:
Alien Warzone : looks too much to me like the old jedi temple that was removed from the restricted list.

Financial District : I don't like the fact that it is a little more open in the gambit area than the original muun, but it might be worth a shot on the restricted list.

I tried both of these last night. Alien Warzone doesn't really feel like a restricted to me- feels like the gambit isn't safe enough from one side and there aren't enough safe starting points on the other. I love the way it looks, and from a aesthetic point of view, would love to see it, but I don't think it should.

I really like Financial District, although the semi-open gambit is the main concern. I like how there are lots of ways from one end to the other and that games will probably play out differently on it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:42:13 PM

Agree with TheHutts Alien Warzone. I don't like it for Restricted. It feels like Ravaged Base (Commander's Office) with sort of a standoff in the middle if you don't have a movement breaker, but the distance is too far (and too many doors) to go around the long way.

Any thoughts on Echo Base North? I haven't played on it yet, but other than the left-hand side not being very safe in the starting zone I don't see any obvious problems with it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 2:55:52 PM

Played on Echo Base North and really liked it. The doors around gambit provide some interesting approaches. I'd like to hear some other opinions. Again, not sure that it can be restricted with that wide open left-side. But if you're bringing the map, you should expect to start on the left I guess.
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:02:24 AM

speaking of maps do we have an updated restricted map list for this years regionals
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:02:50 AM

Still waiting for Brad to announce his new list(s).
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:20:21 AM

Added Great Library to Map List A (Civilian Sector)

Added Starport to Map List B (Tatooine)

Added Tomb of Acolytes to Map List C (Hidden Bases)
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:24:16 AM

All other maps from this year were Standard.

Revenge of the Sith Hardboard Map is no longer Standard and has moved to open.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:48:24 PM

Awesome stuff. Thanks Brad!
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:17:58 PM

That's wizard! Cheers Brad. BlooMilk