RegisterDonateLogin

You can waste time with your friends later.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mesa going to GenCon! Options
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:32:54 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

ThumbsUp
Signed up. This will be my first time ever. I'm really excited about the SWM event, as it will be the first time i've played in over a year, and the first time i've played with and against competitive squads since the release of MOTF. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this and what i need to do to get involved. Entry fees, different formats of play, etc. I have a huge collection, and want to make sure I bring enough that I can be included in any types of games there might be.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:41:42 AM

The likelihood of me being at GenCon is about 1%. But I should at least find out about the 1%.

I'd only be there for the championships, and only if they're all in one day. (No hotel for me - I'd do a 2-hour drive each way all on the same day.) What day will the championships be?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:10:28 AM

I believe the champs are on Thursday this year. The schedule has been submitted, but they probably won't publicize it until it's officially approved by GenCon. I know we're doing a sealed event for set 8, multiple mass battles, and the Jedi Challenge and Sith Trials events, although I don't have details/schedule.

As for what to do...Well, you already have your badge. Event registration will be in May (check on the GenCon website for the date). If you don't already have one, you will need to get a logon for their registration system. A couple of weeks before event registration, they will start putting up event catalogs, so you can peruse and see what you might like to do, even add events to a wish list/shopping cart. Some of the events sell out quickly, so you may want to be at the computer right when registration opens. At that point, you basically hit submit on your event list, and you get what you get, then you go through the process of buying the tickets. You can either have your badge/event tickets shipped to you or pick them up on-site at the Will Call.

Any other questions? This will be our ninth GenCon, so we're kind of old pros.

Oh, and welcome!

ETA: Here's the schedule of events from last year. I know the schedule will be quite a bit different, but this will at least give you an idea of the type of events. (BHC--Bounty Hunter Challenge).

Thursday 8-15-2013
9am 100pt JC, Hoth
11am BHC
12pm BHC
1pm 150pt JC, BHC
2pm Hoth, BHC
3pm BHC
4pm BHC
5pm 200pt JC
7pm Clone Wars MB
9pm Epic Duos

Friday 8-16-2013
9am Champs
10am Dynamic Duo
11am BHC
12pm BHC
1pm Geonosis, BHC
2pm BHC
3pm 100pt, BHC
4pm Minis Maddness, BHC
6pm Geonosis, Assassin Style

Saturday 8-17-2013
9am Mystery Map ST, Endor
10am Queen's Gambit
11am BHC
12pm Queen's Gambit, BHC
1pm 100pt LS/DS, Endor, BHC
2pm Queen's Gambit, BHC
3pm BHC
4pm Queen's Gambit, BHC
5pm Tile Wars ST,
7pm Queen's Gambit Champs
9pm Team Royal Rumble

Sunday 8-18-2013
9am Trench Run, DS II, Sealed
11am Trench Run, DS II, BHC
12pm 100pt, BHC
1pm Trench Run, DS II, BHC
2pm BHC
3pm BHC
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55:30 AM

Oh, holy crap. So i could theoretically play SWM all day for 4 days if I wanted to? I thought it was like people gathered for a few hours, played a tourny and then dispersed.

On the Event registration, does that mean that a list of events will be up before we can actually register? I am afraid of logging in after it opens, having to research what I'm looking at, and things filling up faster than I can click.

Also, typically, how much do tickets to these events cost (not the 4 day pass, but my understanding is each event has an additional price?).
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:16:22 AM

Yes, you can play SWM pretty close to non-stop (well, probably 9 a.m.-10 p.m. or so) over the course of the weekend. And some people do.

Yes, there will be online event catalogs on the GenCon websites. Ticket prices and available will be listed there. As I said, the catalog should start to go up a week or two before event registration (May 18). So I would start checking toward the end of the first week in May. The catalog can be sorted by types of events (RPG, minis, board games, seminars, classes, etc.), and you can also just search for Star Wars miniatures and it should pull at least some of the events up.

As for prices--it depends on the event. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I THINK the championship is generally around $30. Prices are dependent to some extent on the length of the event (as we pay GenCon for the space by the hour), and to some extent on prize support/extras (like the Mystery Map, or the custom minis for the sealed event). Shorter or less involved events (like the Bounty Hunter challenge) will be cheaper. Suggested GenCon pricing is generally $2 for a 2-hour session, but we go up from there for many events to help cover prize support and incidentals.

I believe we're looking at running some X-Wing events this year as well, if that interests you.

UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:22:00 AM

Oh, also--you don't need to worry about the championships or most of the other tournaments selling out on the first day, but if you want to get into any of the mass battles, you should probably sign up as soon as you can. Those tend to be small events that draw a lot of interest from outside the SWM community, so some of them go fast. The last couple of years the sealed has not sold out, but it has been very popular (and some people sign up just to get the boosters but don't play), so you might want to put that on your list, as well, if you're interested in that.

ETA one more thing: Since you say you "signed up," I assume that means you got your badge and went through hotel registration, but, just in case, you should definitely be looking into finding a place to stay and figuring out transportation to and from the con. Several of the nearby hotels are actually connected by skywalk, which is great if you can get into one, but that's difficult to do outside of the housing block. J and I booked our room (we stay at a Candlewood Suites about two miles away and take the shuttle or a cab (or else ride in with engineer)) several months ago, and booking that early is actually not uncommon for people who don't go through the GenCon housing block. Not to say that there aren't rooms available for those dates, because I'm sure there are, but GenCon is a BIG event and really stretches the available hospitality resources.
jak
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:07:40 AM
Groups: Member

just check out the GenCon website
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:15:36 AM

Thanks for all the info
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:22:43 PM

As for what minis you need to bring, here's what I suggest:
1. Figure out what events you'll be playing in (ie, Championship, 200 Mystery Map, 200 Jedi Challenge, 150 Jedi Challenge, 500 Epic, etc).
2. Build squads for each of those events.
3. Take only the pieces (and maps, cards, etc) that you need for those squads and events. This way you won't have to bring your whole collection. If you're undecided about which squads you want to play for certain events, then go ahead and bring multiple squads; regardless, this will be easier than having to carry your whole collection with you all the time.
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:39:03 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
1. Figure out what events you'll be playing in (ie, Championship, 200 Mystery Map, 200 Jedi Challenge, 150 Jedi Challenge, 500 Epic, etc).
3. Take only the pieces (and maps, cards, etc) that you need for those squads and events. This way you won't have to bring your whole collection. If you're undecided about which squads you want to play for certain events, then go ahead and bring multiple squads; regardless, this will be easier than having to carry your whole collection with you all the time.

My collection is huge, which is why i was wanting to know what all is available. I have a question, once you start the Championship, how does squad building work? Can you tweak or bring a side board to swap out figs that arent working? Or is it registered and locked in at the start? I suppose thats the point of lobot?
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:18:49 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

My collection is huge, which is why i was wanting to know what all is available. I have a question, once you start the Championship, how does squad building work? Can you tweak or bring a side board to swap out figs that arent working? Or is it registered and locked in at the start? I suppose thats the point of lobot?

Oh, right. You write down all the pieces in your squad (as well as the map) on the registration sheet at the beginning of EACH tournament, and you cannot change your squad during the tournament after that (other than via Reinforcements, Reserves, Pelleon's CE, or via some other in-game alteration mechanic). Of course, you can feel free to make any changes you'd like until you turn in your registration sheet.
scruffyhan
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:37:41 PM

I have not participated in the Star Wars Minis events at Gencon in some time, but if they are still ran like they were when I attended you are in for a good time. Congrats!
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 9:23:17 AM

scruffyhan wrote:
I have not participated in the Star Wars Minis events at Gencon in some time, but if they are still ran like they were when I attended you are in for a good time. Congrats!
I've attended every year from 2008-2012, and it was great every time. I'm actually hoping I can go again this year; we'll have to see about that, though.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 9:48:40 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
scruffyhan wrote:
I've attended every year from 2008-2012, and it was great every time. I'm actually hoping I can go again this year; we'll have to see about that, though.

Since 2007 here. It really is the best 4 (scratch that) FIVE days in gaming.

Many of us come down Wed night and play casual games (usually games other than minis) in a hotel lobby.

I have gone Minis crazy multiple years, and filled every possible moment with tournaments. It can be quite exhausting - I don't recommend this for a rookie. Pick a few (2-5) tournaments that really appeal to you, and leave time to explore the dealer's hall (I'd recommend at least half a day just for this - it is huge!), and do other fun stuff.

You're gonna have a blast!

Shockfett
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 1:24:15 PM

Sounds fun ThumbsUp !

What does each title of scheduled games mean? Example: what is bounty hunter challenge etc?Confused
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 1:59:10 PM

I dont know all of them, but:

Bounty hunter challenge: Each squad must contain one of the 100 pt bounty hunter challenge pieces

Championship: 200 point game, based off of the old DCI rules. Victory based off of points earned from defeating pieces and holding gambit.

200 Mystery Map: I believe this is a new map being released, and opponents place a 200 point squad on it.

150/200 Jedi ChallengeL: ??

500 Epic: 500 point game that allows for use of the epic v-set pieces

Draft for V-set 8: you get 2 lists of random characters that are generated as if you opened a box contaning the v-set pieces. You construct a squad. I believe there are no faction rules in this play

Mass Battles: this would be high point games. I think like the battle of hoth and what not, 500-1000 points?

Tile wars: Each player has a small tile that they put together. Faster games as they force immediate engagement

Dynamic duo: Squad has exactly 2 characters, that must = exactly 100 points.

Fantastic 4: exactly 4 characters, exactly 400 points
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 2:20:10 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
I dont know all of them, but:

Bounty hunter challenge: Each squad must contain one of the 100 pt bounty hunter challenge pieces

I don't think that is true. I'm pretty sure you bring a squad and play AGAINST the NEW 100 pt BHC piece.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 2:30:29 PM

Oooooh. so i guess its a 100pt. vs 100pt?
pegolego
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 2:33:40 PM

I think it's a 200 point squad vs the BHC piece, if I heard correctly.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 2:56:17 PM

pegolego wrote:
I think it's a 200 point squad vs the BHC piece, if I heard correctly.

I thought the BH pieces were legal in normal squads. Does a 100 point piece stand up to a 200 point squad?