Oh, maxi big da Milkā€¦

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mesa going to GenCon! Options
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 3:04:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

adamb0nd wrote:
pegolego wrote:
I think it's a 200 point squad vs the BHC piece, if I heard correctly.

I thought the BH pieces were legal in normal squads. Does a 100 point piece stand up to a 200 point squad?

They are legal in normal squads, this is just the style of the event. I do not know if it is just the 100 point piece, I don't know all the specifics, but I do know that you build squads to play against new BHC pieces.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 4:35:05 PM

It's two 200-point squads. The defender has a 200-point squad that incorporates one of two 100-point Bounty Hunter Challenge pieces.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:38:41 AM
Groups: Member

UrbanShmi wrote:
It's two 200-point squads. The defender has a 200-point squad that incorporates one of two 100-point Bounty Hunter Challenge pieces.

If they run it the same as in the past, all you have to do is kill the bounty hunter challenge piece to win (even if the other 100 points of their team survives)
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 8:19:36 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

If they run it the same as in the past, all you have to do is kill the bounty hunter challenge piece to win (even if the other 100 points of their team survives)

Yes, I think that's right.
adamb0nd
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 8:31:55 AM

Oh! is that why they call it the bounty hunter challenge? Like the 100 pt piece is the bounty?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 8:36:02 AM

Exactly.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:04:16 PM

Wow, my wife is so cool. Today she says to me, "I know you don't have as many weeks of vacation now as you used to, but how about you go to Gencon anyway this year?" :)

So yeah, I'll be coming! I'll definitely be there for Wednesday night gaming too. As Tim said, it's one of the best parts of the entire experience. And Adam, I look forward to meeting you; if you'd like, I'll help you "learn the ropes" as much as I can. My first Gencon was a huge awesome whirlwind of fun, memories, and awesomeness...and I wish you all the same. :)
leshippy
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:51:34 AM

The Bounty Hunter Challenge is you come with a 200 point squad and the challenge is to defeat the 200 point squad that is built around the new BHC piece. I know if you win you get the card of the BHC you defeated.
DarthRattlehead
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:09:56 PM

Like +oo

awesome Les!
One day I'll make it./. have to tee up a year where we visit family in canada so that its at the same time. hehe ;)
leshippy
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:14:31 PM

I will be at Gencon again this year and like Tim said it IS the best 5 days of gaming. There is so much to do.
Wednesday the Star Wars minis crew usually has unorganized "open gaming" where it is bring your own game and your own beverage of choice :)

Depending on how much other gaming, art, Celebs, and what not that you are into should gauge the amount of time spent in the dealer hall. You can playtest and normally buy a bunch of great games. The dealer hall is huge and I would bank on a minimum of 3 or 4 hours if you have never been before. More f you are going to playtest games. Playtest generally are 20 minutes long depending on the game. Saturday is the busiest day in the dealer hall. If you see something that you like and think you will buy it later make sure to write the booth number down so you can find it later.

The game auction is also a great thing to check out. Higher prices on Thursday lowest prices on Sunday. This is a great way to pick up old games. however supplies go down throughout the 4 days.

Saturday is the biggest cosplay day.

Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:16:23 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

All I know, one of my favorite authors is the guest of honor, so I will try to get into as many events with him as possible.
engineer
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:06:33 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Wow, my wife is so cool. Today she says to me, "I know you don't have as many weeks of vacation now as you used to, but how about you go to Gencon anyway this year?" :)

So yeah, I'll be coming! I'll definitely be there for Wednesday night gaming too. As Tim said, it's one of the best parts of the entire experience. And Adam, I look forward to meeting you; if you'd like, I'll help you "learn the ropes" as much as I can. My first Gencon was a huge awesome whirlwind of fun, memories, and awesomeness...and I wish you all the same. :)

Are you going to be bringing your son?

Last year was my ten year old daughters first gencon. Se had a blast and was already planning for this year.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:54:26 PM

I'm not planning on bringing him; he doesn't really play any of the games at a high enough level; he'd get steamrolled in every tournament he played, other than the BHC.

What did your daughter play?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:04:23 PM

I'm now 50/50 for GenCon.
leshippy
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 9:37:05 AM

Some tips for GenCon virgins.
Where comfortable shoes, there is alot of walking and being on your feet while not gaming.

Stay hydrated. August in Indiana is miserable. Figure on 80+ temps with high humidity. The awesome thing is that many of the downtown hotels and Circle Center mall are all connected to the convention center via sky bridges.

Food can be your biggest expense. Downtown Indy has a huge selection of restaurants, bars, and breweries. However the convention center doesn't and they gouge you with the prices. I generally have bagels and such where I am staying for breakfast. Lunch at the food court in Circle center mall. Dinner is where ever I happen to be maybe a restaurant or maybe back at my crash pad where we have food stuffs. I am not sure if they did a hooters night or not last year. I think I heard some folks went to saint elmos ($$$$$) but try the shrimp cocktail. We used to do a breakfast at Steak and Shake on Thursday morning. Just keep looking at the boards to figure out the game plan.

Have a bag to carry your stuff. Only carry the squads and map that you need. Have a water bottle and some snacks. While gaming we generally are good about keeping an eye on people's stuff why they hit the restroom.

If you are not staying down town, you will have to pay to park on Thursday and Friday. You might be able to find street parking at the crack of dawn on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday is much easier then Saturday. I tend to have at least one other person in my car so we just split it. Shuttles are available from the convention center to the airport. Most of the downtown hotel have shuttles to go back and forth to the airport as well. If you are not staying downtown, there are plenty of places to stay in Indy. If you are on the edges of the 465 you should figure on about 30 minutes of driving with out any traffic. However Indy is a city where everyone drive and has poor public transportation. If you are looking for a place to stay, I would shy away from the east side of Indy. Let's just say some of the places on that side of town rent rooms by the hour.
Indy is a pretty safe town IMO. There are some rough areas, sure, but generally speaking it is safe and people are helpful. It is the midwest after all. If you are making this a family trip there is plenty for youngins to do that is not the con. Indy Zoo is good. The Children's Museum is on of the best in the country. Conner Prarire, the Indy 500 Museum, Indiana state museum are also places to check out that are all within the loop. Indy also has a great selection of breweries and wineries in town.

Ticket pick up - If you are picking up badges or event tickets you will be standing in line. Wednesday night after 8 is by far the easiest time to get your stuff if you didn't have it mailed to you. If you are coming for one day and are doing ticket pick up, plan on being in line 90 before they open or you will be waiting even longer. Sunday s by far the worst because it is family day.

Just keep in mind that you are not going to have enough time to do everything. Plan on maybe 4 hours of sleep each night if you are lucky. GenCon is a 24 event that last 5 days.
Teller
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 12:08:40 PM

What would the rules be for a Mass Battle scenario? Anything different?
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 7:25:15 PM

Teller wrote:
What would the rules be for a Mass Battle scenario? Anything different?

each mass battle has its own rules. Similar to SWM, but also balanced within the scenario.
Teller
Posted: Saturday, March 1, 2014 4:12:12 PM

Huh.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, March 1, 2014 4:43:29 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

And the Mass Battles are not necessarily going to be using the SWM rules.
leshippy
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:05:13 AM

The Geonosis Mass Battle sticks to as close to the rules as we can. We give each Unique Jedi Force Renewal 1 and Lighsaber Deflect. I think the other rule we use is that no more than 6 figures can be activated per turn. This keeps the Seps from using everyone to combine fire. A few of the Unique Seps lose some abilites, but other then that we play it by the rules.

I know that the Hoth Battle and Endor Battle have different rules.