RegisterDonateLogin

Ain't like dustin' crops, boy!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : How do you feel these changes affected your games? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
10PG and 3-2-1 positively impacted my games 8 50.000000 %
10PG positive/3-2-1 negative impact on my games 0 0.000000 %
10PG negatively/3-2-1 positively impacted my games 0 0.000000 %
10PG and 3-2-1 negatively impacted my games 0 0.000000 %
10PG had little/3-2-1 positively impacted my games 2 12.500000 %
10PG positive/3-2-1 had little impact on my games 5 31.250000 %
10PG had little/3-2-1 negatively impacted my games 1 6.250000 %
10PG negative/3-2-1 had little impact on my games 0 0.000000 %
10PG and 3-2-1 had little impact on my games 0 0.000000 %

Gencon- 10 point gambit and 3-2-1 scoring Options
countrydude82487
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:35:56 PM
Groups: Member

I basically got into the Top 8 because of the 1 point losses. BY the top 8 i was 3-2 with 11 points, as they pointed out on the SHN. 3-3-3-1-1, and both of my losses were against others in the Top 8. For me it was a drastic change because like DARTH DRACUL above me stated i probably would not have made top 8 without it. As i said above the 1 point loss has been a big motivator for me. If i see a high point piece i can take out, when i am currently losing i take that risk. Sometimes it doesnt pay off but overall it worked well. Now as to the 10 point gambit, the reason it did not affect me much was because the vast majority of my squad was above 10 points. I only had a handful of pieces that did not cost more than 10, and many were reinforcements anyhow.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 5:24:14 PM

One of the questions we talked about was to consider switching the pairing software to go by points, not wins. It currently still uses the old wins rule in setting up who plays who, leading to odd locations at times in tournaments of who is where at what table. Ted was planning to look into it.

The thing to remember though, is that just because person A got a 1 point loss, you also have to have someone who did not specifically tied with you for it to really matter. Because they maybe had one too.

As for the explanation of why Jim won the tie breaker, it has to do with our tiebreakers after points. WotC Swiss rules screwed over anyone who got a bye. We changed that years ago. It should never punish you. And only in one very specific set of circumstances can it even possibly help you. We did see that finally happen with Jim.

The reason is this. The bye counts as full points win, and does not factor into SoS at all. So facing a bye means your SoS will be divided by less players than the people who did not face the bye. So in this case 4 instead of 5. And if it happens that your 4 real opponents were good high record players, then you can be "helped" if tournament standings come down to the SoS tie breaker. It's rare, but not impossible.

But what I'd like to see changed is that SoS be calculated by points, not by wins. And that's a bigger fix to the software that would require some testing. But in my head and Ted agreed it seemed more logical with our current system.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 5:48:52 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

countrydude82487 wrote:
I basically got into the Top 8 because of the 1 point losses. BY the top 8 i was 3-2 with 11 points, as they pointed out on the SHN. 3-3-3-1-1, and both of my losses were against others in the Top 8. For me it was a drastic change because like DARTH DRACUL above me stated i probably would not have made top 8 without it. As i said above the 1 point loss has been a big motivator for me. If i see a high point piece i can take out, when i am currently losing i take that risk. Sometimes it doesnt pay off but overall it worked well. Now as to the 10 point gambit, the reason it did not affect me much was because the vast majority of my squad was above 10 points. I only had a handful of pieces that did not cost more than 10, and many were reinforcements anyhow.

3-2 with three 3-pt wins probably would have put you in the top 8 anyway, based on who you played, but the 1pt losses put you in the top 4. I was 4-1 with 10 pts and wound up at #5 behind you: 3-3-2-2-0. Same line that juice_man had.

I don't know all the standings, but it was something like this. (I've guessed on some of the numbers - confirmations would be appreciated.)

1. atmsalad 5-0, 3-3-3-3-2, 14 pts
2. billiv 4-1, 3-3-3-2-1, 12
3. Weeks 4-1, 3-3-3-2-1, 12
4. countrydude 3-2, 3-3-3-1-1, 11
5. FlyingArrow 4-1, 3-3-2-2-0, 10
6. juice_man 4-1, 3-3-2-2-0, 10
7. urbanjedi 3-2, 3-3-3-1-0, 10
8. DarthJim 3-2, 3-3-2-1-0, 9

(As I said, I've guessed on some of the above numbers.)
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:57:58 AM

billiv15 wrote:
One of the questions we talked about was to consider switching the pairing software to go by points, not wins. It currently still uses the old wins rule in setting up who plays who, leading to odd locations at times in tournaments of who is where at what table. Ted was planning to look into it.

The thing to remember though, is that just because person A got a 1 point loss, you also have to have someone who did not specifically tied with you for it to really matter. Because they maybe had one too.

As for the explanation of why Jim won the tie breaker, it has to do with our tiebreakers after points. WotC Swiss rules screwed over anyone who got a bye. We changed that years ago. It should never punish you. And only in one very specific set of circumstances can it even possibly help you. We did see that finally happen with Jim.

The reason is this. The bye counts as full points win, and does not factor into SoS at all. So facing a bye means your SoS will be divided by less players than the people who did not face the bye. So in this case 4 instead of 5. And if it happens that your 4 real opponents were good high record players, then you can be "helped" if tournament standings come down to the SoS tie breaker. It's rare, but not impossible.

But what I'd like to see changed is that SoS be calculated by points, not by wins. And that's a bigger fix to the software that would require some testing. But in my head and Ted agreed it seemed more logical with our current system.

Bill everything you said is correct with one exception - the software does pair by points, not record.

This was illustrated unfortunately very well in the TILE WARS tournament. In the third round there were only two undefeateds, Player A 2-0 with 5 points, and player B 2-0 with 4 points. Player C was 1-1 with 4 points. Player A and Player C got paired together. The pairing was incorrect, and this threw off the tournament results. There was unfortunate "must do what the computer says" mindless following, and of course, then both undefeateds won, Player A getting a 2 pt win and Player B getting a 3 point win - thus making it a complete tie 3-0 with 7pts each.

This is actually a flaw in the software either way. Because 2-0 with 4pts should be ahead of 1-1 with 4 points regardless.

Really this system breaks down in small tournaments anyway. We won't use 3-2-1 in TILE WARS next year. It's a format where every game completes regardless, so there are no ties.

All this aside - we do use the Swiss Pairing system. Innate in this system is that it is set up for undefeateds to play each other above all. If there are an even number of undefeateds, they should all be playing each other (obviously if there is an odd number, 1 must be paired down). It defeats the entire point of the system to have that not happen. We have already basterdized it enough with 3-2, and 3-2-1 has compounded the issue.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:00:17 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm confused... does every game in Tile Wars complete or were there some 2 point wins in Tile Wars?
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:33:02 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I'm confused... does every game in Tile Wars complete or were there some 2 point wins in Tile Wars?
If one or both player are a little slow Blushing and the game ends after 30 min. but before 45 mi. it's a 2 pt victory.

Player B will admit that player A's squad, upon reflection, would have whuped him hard.

The "A" squad had the most P.I. (politicaly incorrect) name ever It was also the funniest the whole weekend. LMFAO.
countrydude82487
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:46:56 AM

juice man wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
If one or both player are a little slow Blushing and the game ends after 30 min. but before 45 mi. it's a 2 pt victory.

Player B will admit that player A's squad, upon reflection, would have whuped him hard.

The "A" squad had the most P.I. (politicaly incorrect) name ever It was also the funniest the whole weekend. LMFAO.

Player C was still happy to have played player b and had fun. ANd agrees with the Name of player A's Squad LOL
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:06:54 AM

That's probably right. I think I was thinking of the SoS question.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:33:13 PM

billiv15 wrote:

This is what confused me at the end of Swiss. According to the old Swiss system of calculating SoS, a Bye would weaken your overall SoS, since the Bye never wins. For some reason I had completely forgotten that (a while ago) we had changed that calculation so that the Bye would just never be calculated. Under the old system, Jim would've been 9th and me 8th, but under the new system, Jim was 8th and I was 9th. I think it was Tim who pointed this out to me, and once he did it immediately all made sense. I couldn't believe that I had forgotten that original discussion, since I was part of it and urged that we change it to the way that it now is. lol

And FWIW, I think this is definitely the better way to calculate SoS; since a player can't choose to have the Bye, it shouldn't hurt his SoS.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:34:19 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
And FWIW, I think this is definitely the better way to calculate SoS; since a player can't choose to have the Bye, it shouldn't hurt his SoS.
Totally agree, it's not fair to penalize a guy just because there was an odd number of players in the tournament. I was a little confused at the end of Swiss, but it was easier to accept with a great guy like Jim getting that Top 8 spot. The best thing is that most people feel it was a positive experience.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:23:42 PM

What is funny is that Trevor rode with me to GenCon. When the top 8 was announced and we broke for lunch, Weeks and I lit out for Chic fil A while Trevor was still in discussion trying to figure out what happened. I told Weeks that if a mistake had been made and Trevor was 8th, I was cool with it. I realized that had that happened, it would be difficult for them to tell me that I didn't make it after all. Imagine how Trevor would have felt. We had a good chuckle, but honestly, I was at peace with whatever would happen after lunch. I'm glad that everything was correct, and, more importantly to me, that Trevor was cool with it. It certainly made for a fun ride home.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:35:23 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
What is funny is that Trevor rode with me to GenCon. When the top 8 was announced and we broke for lunch, Weeks and I lit out for Chic fil A while Trevor was still in discussion trying to figure out what happened. I told Weeks that if a mistake had been made and Trevor was 8th, I was cool with it. I realized that had that happened, it would be difficult for them to tell me that I didn't make it after all. Imagine how Trevor would have felt. We had a good chuckle, but honestly, I was at peace with whatever would happen after lunch. I'm glad that everything was correct, and, more importantly to me, that Trevor was cool with it. It certainly made for a fun ride home.
Yeah, I was completely fine with it once I remembered that change to the Bye-SoS calculation. All's well that ends well.

And besides, whether there was an error or not, your friendship is more important to me than a Top 8 appearance. Smile
Weeks
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:46:29 PM

In fairness, Jim did clownstomp the bye.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:39:27 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

This is what confused me at the end of Swiss. According to the old Swiss system of calculating SoS, a Bye would weaken your overall SoS, since the Bye never wins. For some reason I had completely forgotten that (a while ago) we had changed that calculation so that the Bye would just never be calculated. Under the old system, Jim would've been 9th and me 8th, but under the new system, Jim was 8th and I was 9th. I think it was Tim who pointed this out to me, and once he did it immediately all made sense. I couldn't believe that I had forgotten that original discussion, since I was part of it and urged that we change it to the way that it now is. lol

Actually, the WOTC system calculates SOS the same way we do now. Number of opponents wins vs number of opponents losses, bye isn't an opponent so was never counted. This is the way that SOS should be calculated (IMO). This is also sort of where the misconception that an opponent who dropped would hurt your SOS. Also not true. It is all about the win-loss percentage of your opponents. So someone whose opps went 6-2 for instance (.75) would have a better SOS than someone whose opps whent 7-4 (.63)
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:28:13 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Actually, the WOTC system calculates SOS the same way we do now. Number of opponents wins vs number of opponents losses, bye isn't an opponent so was never counted. This is the way that SOS should be calculated (IMO). This is also sort of where the misconception that an opponent who dropped would hurt your SOS. Also not true. It is all about the win-loss percentage of your opponents. So someone whose opps went 6-2 for instance (.75) would have a better SOS than someone whose opps whent 7-4 (.63)

It does hurt your SoS if you beat a good player and they drop. It all depends on what they would do after they dropped.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:47:13 PM

juice man wrote:

ThumbsUp
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:28:52 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
Yeah, I was completely fine with it once I remembered that change to the Bye-SoS calculation. All's well that ends well.

And besides, whether there was an error or not, your friendship is more important to me than a Top 8 appearance. Smile
You did get a really cool looking trophy.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:57:28 AM

juice man wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:

You did get a really cool looking trophy.
yeah, to remind of not making the top 8. Just what I always wanted....ThumbDown
urbanjedi
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:06:13 AM

It is a pretty sweet trophy
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:10:55 AM

At one of the Frosty Cons I got the "Sportsman" trophy. We all know what that means - butt kicking with a smile.
When I see it my thoughts are "wow! what a cool trophy" not "humph". It's all about perspective. They are both cool trophies.