RegisterDonateLogin

Charming to the last.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Which Set Is The Greatest? Options
mercenary_moose
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:40:40 AM
Groups: Member

Hey. I remember a thread started a little while back by swmimperial130, if I remember correctly, with him claiming that JA is "the best set ever". At the time, we didn't have many stats for JA, and it seemed like a bit of overexcitement over a new set coming out. However, I've been thinking about that for a while, and I've compared it to past sets seeing which is best. Here's a little look at the Moose's thoughts:

I've ranked every major set we have (I'm not counting battle packs, starter sets, and the like) in my head. I've considered what the set brought to the game, my personal opinions on it, it's "biggest hits", or the two best, most game-changning Rares and VRs in the set, it's "biggest misses", or the two Rares/VRs that just plain suck, and given it a final grade, out of five.

Rebel Storm
What It Did: Kicked off SWM
My Opinion: The game had to start somewhere... Some fantastic sculpts in here too.
Biggest Hits: Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Sith Lord, Probe Droid, Palps, Obi-Wan Kenobi
Biggest Misses: Most of the set sucks, but if I have to pick, I'll say Jabba, Luke Rebel, Bothan Spy, Princess Leia, Captive, and Han Solo
Final Grade: 2/5

Clone Strike
What It Did: Started the Republic and Seps, almost immediately obsoleted most of RS.
My Opinion: One of the greatest sets we've had in terms of dominance at the time
Biggest Hits: Aurra Sing, Yoda, Maul, Battle Droid Officer, Sideous
Biggest Misses: Captain Typho, Battle Droid on STAP, Genosian Drone, Klatooinian Enforcer, Weequay Mercenary
Final Grade: 4/5

Revenge of the Sith
What It Did: Firmly established the Republic as better than the Seps
My Opinion: Bad set, even at the time
Biggest Hits: Doombot, Emperor Palpatine, Sith Lord, Tarfull, Yoda JM, San Hill
Biggest Misses: Bail Organa, Chewbacca of Kashyyk, Grevious JH, Devaronian Soldier, Muun Guard

Universe
What It Did: Gave us Huges, made the Imperials one of the game's best factions
My Opinion: Pretty hit-and-miss set
Biggest Hits: Thrawn, Darth Vader, Jedi Hunter, Nightsister, Nom, Chewie RH
Biggest Misses: Dr. Evazan, Nute Gunray, Flash Speeder, Dash Rendar, Luke JM
Final Grade: 3/5

Champions of the Force
What It Did: Introduced us to "uber-beats", gave the Republic some sweet toys to play with
My Opinion: This is easily one of the best sets. I still frequently buy packs of this stuff.
Biggest Hits: Darth Bane, Mas Amedda, Kun, Bacara, Maul COTF, Uggie Demo
Biggest Misses: Darth Malak, Hoth Trooper with Atgar Cannon, Sideous, Dark Lord of the Sith, Fixer, Dark Side Enforcer
Final Grade: 5/5

Bounty Hunters
What It Did: Established the Fringe as a serious faction, founded the Mandies
My Opinion: Hit-and-miss, like Universe, but with a lot more hits and less misses
Biggest Hits: Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter; Han Solo, Scoundrel, Lord Vader, Aqualish Assassin, IG-88 BH
Biggest Misses: Bib Fortuna, Calo Nord, Luke of Dagobah, Djas Puhr, Weequay Thug

Alliance and Empire
What It Did: Made us thankful for circular bases and blue stat cards
My Opinion: Pretty bad set all around, but has some gems
Biggest Hits: Stormcommando, Mara Jade, Jedi, Ithorian Commander, Vader IC, Leia
Biggest Misses: Ephant Mon, Jawa on Ronto, Biggs, Ewok Hang Glider, Aurra JH

The Force Unleashed
What It Did: Gave us "unleashed" badass Force powers
My Opinion: Lots of very playable beats in there, maybe more than any other set
Biggest Hits: Vader Unleashed, Boba Fett, Mercenary, Caamasi Noble, VAU, Felcor
Biggest Misses: Chewbacca of Hoth, Han Solo In Carbonite, Gotal Assassin, TIE Crawler, PROXY

Legacy of the Force
What It Did: Updated the Imperials, built up the NR
My Opinion: Not enough Sith or Rebels, but there's a lot of fun pieces in there
Biggest Hits: Kyle Katarn, JBM, Cade, Vong Jedi Hunter, Dodonna
Biggest Misses: Jedi Leia, Moff Veed, Nomi, OR Recruit, Marasiah Fel (aka "Pop-Tart")
Final Grade: 3/5

Knights of the Old Republic
What It Did: Made the Sith and Mandos really beefy
My Opinion: The OR and Vong were pushed aside for the Sith and Mandies! Yay!!!
Biggest Hits: General Wedge Antilles, Malak, DLotS, Panaka, Mandie Scout, Jarael
Biggest Misses: Carth Onasi, Zaalbar, Zayne, Bao-Dur, Shyrack

The Clone Wars
What It Did: Gave life to the dead Seps while building up the Republic
My Opinion: Our first 40-piece set was by no means a bad one
Biggest Hits: General Grevious, DAC, Captain Rex, HoloSid, IG-86, Yobuck
Biggest Misses: Ahsoka Tano, Odd Ball, AniSTAP, Quarren Isolationist, Human SOF

Imperial Entanglements
What It Did: Gave a much-needed update to some older pieces
My Opinion: Some nice pieces, but overall it was a letdown
Biggest Hits: General Rieekan, Potty Palps, IE Thrawn, Mousie, Dash RS
Biggest Misses: Crappio, Logray, Leia BH, Duros Scout, 181st Imperial Pilot

Jedi Academy
What It Did: Make the NR and Sith into major contenders, give us a ton of Force users
My Opinion: This set is EPIC!!!
Biggest Hits: Uber-Luke, GMY, Antarian Ranger, Kol, Leia JK, Naga Sadow
Biggest Misses: Darth Plaguelis, Master K'Khruhk, Vodo, Krath War Droid, Kyle

So there's my thoughts. Questions? Comments? Post 'em here!
Tirade
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:49:36 AM

Interesting. Not sure I agree with all that was listed. Good thing everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:06:03 AM

What do you not agree with?
ALittleOnTheLightside
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:25:47 AM

nice post, My favorite two sets are champions of the force (bane, exar, bacara, mas......well pretty much the whole set of R/VR) and even though it's a "huge" set and cost more i love most the figures out of force unleashed (vader's apprentice. revan, Loda, and my two favorite huges luke snowspeeder and felcor among others), i would like to mention that all though rebel storm sucks i did like the emperor palpatine in that set. Also i hate square bases but i like playing with boba enforcer and lando DS. I still haven't decided what to think of jedi academy, i gotta wait for some more stats to come out on yoda and darth maul.

KEEP ROLLING!
mrtyler7
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:36:26 AM

ALittleOnTheLightside wrote:
nice post, My favorite two sets are champions of the force (bane, exar, bacara, mas......well pretty much the whole set of R/VR) and even though it's a "huge" set and cost more i love most the figures out of force unleashed (vader's apprentice. revan, Loda, and my two favorite huges luke snowspeeder and felcor among others), i would like to mention that all though rebel storm sucks i did like the emperor palpatine in that set. Also i hate square bases but i like playing with boba enforcer and lando DS. I still haven't decided what to think of jedi academy, i gotta wait for some more stats to come out on yoda and darth maul.

KEEP ROLLING!

I don't want to start a whole thing, or get way off topic, so will someone PLEASE PM me and explain the whole "anti-square bases" thing? Confused

Really, don't respond to the post. Just PM your take or personal opinion to me, because I don't understand what people have against it.
ken_watson76
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:41:41 AM

I generally agree with your assessment, Moose. I disagree with some of your "misses" (e.g., Bib Fortuna, Chewie of Hoth, Ahsoka, Nihl), but generally agree with your assessments. As for your ratings:

I would rate CS at 3/5 instead of 4/5. Yes, it's got some wonderful pieces that will always be viable (I would put Sidious above both of your "hits", not that your "hits" aren't truly "hits"), but overall the Jedi in that set are disappointing and the Separatists mostly useless. Granted, this is from a retrospective look from 5 years ahead, and it is still better than Rots. I guess power creep has quite an effect on how we view old sets.

A&E I would bump up to 3/5 from 2/5. The presentation of the set is bad, I agree, but there are a lot of great pieces in there. Perhaps too many reprints (notably from RS), but it added a lot of diversity to the Rebels, at least, which they certainly needed, and beefed up a few other factions. However, I still, for my life, can't figure out why the Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled is VR and retails for over $20.

Legacy is a great set, and I would bump it up to 4/5. What's especially nice about it is that it gave a little something to everyone and finally made Vong a viable faction. It also made NR downright nasty (you say JA is going to make NR a major contender; I contend that they have been for some time). And Darth Nihl, while not the best Unique Sith, is better than Moff Morlish Veed (suuuuuucks).

Anyhow, I otherwise agree with you assessments.

Oh, and by Doombot, I assume you're talking about R2-Astro, yes?
Tirade
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:49:55 AM

mercenary_moose wrote:
What do you not agree with?

My biggest disagreement would be your rating for Rebel Storm. To this day, there are players that absolutely love that set. Why? Because the paint jobs and sculpts are stupendous. Plus, if Rebel Storm hadn't been such a big hit, we wouldn't be on expansion number 13. Rebel Storm started the craze.

Also, I didn't like a few of your selections for "misses." I find Leia of Cloud City to be a very underrated piece. For 14 points you get the cheapest Force Sense in the game. With the Clone Wars, I found your selection of Ahsoka to be rather odd. For a 20 point piece she offers quite a bit. Another piece I was shocked to see on your "misses" list was Logray. You've got to be kidding me. He's the cheapest direct damage dealer in the game. That counts for something. He's a great buy for 12 points.

I could also talk about your selections for "hits," but I'm not going to bother. Most of what you listed in that category is solid. I just don't like how you limited the choices to two pieces.

edit: forgot to mention Plagueis. I don't agree with him being a miss.
homestar45
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:50:37 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Ken Watson. Bump up a&e and Legacy. Also moff morlish veed is easily way more terrible then Nihl. Veed sucks. I honestly believe that he sucks so bad that you just forgot about him, lol. And as for force unleashed, I'm gonna have to say that han solo in carbonite is worse than Leia of cloud city, but yet again just my opinion. Otherwise I agree with pretty much everything else. Awesome topic, btw.
awesome
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:56:28 AM

I dont agree with some of your misses like Plagueis, Nihl,
Although sith are not a "big" faction, the new Naga Sadow should be a big hit, he is a mini sized bane, but can protect himself.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:28:15 AM

homestar45 wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with Ken Watson. Bump up a&e and Legacy. Also moff morlish veed is easily way more terrible then Nihl. Veed sucks. I honestly believe that he sucks so bad that you just forgot about him, lol. And as for force unleashed, I'm gonna have to say that han solo in carbonite is worse than Leia of cloud city, but yet again just my opinion. Otherwise I agree with pretty much everything else. Awesome topic, btw.

Thanks, homestar. I completetly forgot about those two pieces, as I jogged my memory by looking at the set list for each of those sets and completely skipped over those two. I've updated that now. Thanks for the imput.
DarthJak
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:32:22 AM

Cool most interesting post in a long long time!
nice job moose baby!ThumbsUp
pitcherstar
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:38:18 AM

Good summary, and I think you're right on about some of your assessments, but IMHO I would make Legacy 4/5 and KOTOR 3/5.

KOTOR-First of all, and we'll get this out of the way quickly: there was a total lack of quality control. If you're gonna bash A&E for the square bases, you gotta say something about all the bent/scratched/stained stat cards that people got. This set just wasn't as memorable to me. The set was good, and definitely better than average, but not 4/5 good IMHO, at least not as far as the competitive scene goes, and that's probably where most of my judgment is coming from.

Misses: Carth, Bao Dur, Kreia, Visas Mar, Sion, (too low att and so close to being awesome, he made me angry), Shyrack
Hits: Panaka, Jolee, Mandalore Ultimate, General Wedge, Czerka Scientist, Jarael, Mando Scout, Mando Captain, Malak DLOTS, T3
Chase Pieces: Mandalore the Ultimate, Malak DLOTS, Draay, Rakghouls

LOTF- Didn't suffer the quality control problems of KOTOR, and gave us alot of awesome pieces that have rounded out factions. On average, I use almost 2 pieces from this set in every build I make. Also, I believe that of the pieces in this set, there were alot more "chase" pieces and C/UC that get thrown into alot of builds because of their versatility (Kel Dor) than in the KOTOR set. One of the things that makes a set memorable to me is the number of chase pieces.

Misses: Leia Organa Solo, Moff Veed, GA Trooper, OR Recruit, Luke LOTLS (I just don't see the sense in giving someone greater mobile AND Careful Shot). I would also throw Mara Skywalker in here, but she isn't horrible, just not quite as awesome as Mara Jedi.
Hits: Republic Commando Training Serg, Talon, Krayt, Tyranus LOTDS, Bothan Noble, ERC, DODONNA, Nyna Calixte, Imp Knight, Han GH, Kyle JBM, Shado Vao, Cade, Kel Dor BH, Boba Merc Comm. Mando Gunslinger, Vong JG, Vong Shaper, Luke FS
Chase Pieces: Talon, Krayt, Kyle JBM, Cade, Boba Merc, Caedus, Luke FS
Mr Skywalker2001
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:57:43 PM

my favorites sets r champians because of bane, niullus, and darth maul. My other favorite set is bounty hunters bacause of boba bounty, bossk, ig88, and mandolore the indomitable
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:04:45 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Rebel Storm is waaay more playable than Clone Strike is right now.

Clone Strike is by far the worst set. The worst scuplts and paint jobs, and some of the worse pieces. Why everyone was in an uproar over getting a reprint will always boggle my mind.
twinjedi
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:26:04 PM

Sithborg wrote:

Clone Strike is by far the worst set. The worst scuplts and paint jobs, and some of the worse pieces. Why everyone was in an uproar over getting a reprint will always boggle my mind.

Huh which post were u reading. clone strike was a good set, it gave us decent rep and sep. they have cool scuplts and there drawings are good.
Tirade
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:27:48 PM

twinjedi wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Huh which post were u reading. clone strike was a good set, it gave us decent rep and sep. they have cool scuplts and there drawings are good.

Ummm, I think he is basing his comments off of moose's first post.

BTW, what drawings are you referring to? The ones on the cards?
Jedi Master Chief
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:28:28 PM

I think im gonna have to go with either the LOTF or FU
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 1:56:52 AM

Tirade wrote:
twinjedi wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Ummm, I think he is basing his comments off of moose's first post.

BTW, what drawings are you referring to? The ones on the cards?

Actually the card drawings were not that good, but it gave us allot of pieces that are still playable today, like yoda, Aurra, Maul, Sidiouse, I dont know that many good pieces in rebel storm except, the speeders and maybe the vader(doubt it though)

In my opinion clone strike was way better than rebel storm.
IG-108
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 3:21:48 AM

You did a nice job rating each set. I'm not going to take up space with my opinions on each space, but you summed it all up really well. My only semi-complaint is that I think there were some misses for some sets that weren't listed, and same for the hits.
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 3:47:09 AM

I agree with Tirade about Rebel Storm. That was the foundation to SWM it layed out some of the great abilitys such as Orveride, Accurate Shot, Cunning/Oppurtunist, and to this day still has some use in todays games.

Ex:
R2D2- If you can't afford R2d2 W/sensor
Emperor Palpatine- Great Force Battery that is able to move around
Quarren Assassin- Cheap Mobile Shooter with health points and cunning attack.

I rate Rebel Storm between 3/5 & 4/5.