RegisterDonateLogin

I have a good feeling about this.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Djem So Style vs Djem So Style Mastery Options
ecs05norway
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 3:28:55 AM
Groups: Member

Quote:
djem so mastery gives an extra 10 damage it would soak that up but the rest will go through.

Nope.

So long as the attack comes from an adjacent enemy with a lightsaber, dark armor does not apply to any of it. You could have Cunning, Deadeye, Mighty Swing, Jedi Hunter, Poison, and Momentum, and all of them would ignore Dark Armor.

OTOH, Dark Armor does work against Lightsaber Throw - the attacker isn't adjacent.
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:34:52 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

So, I had a GMLS vs GMLS fight last night and I wanted to be sure I played it out right. So, as long as both lukes keep maing their saves they could theoretically fight forever right? Even though both took enough damage to die, djem so interupts the sequence before the damage is actually applied and the characters defeated. One probably wouldn't do this, but it could occur, right?

One luke(luke1) ran up to the other and hit with the first twin, and the other luke (luke2) makes his djem so save, hits back. Luke1 makes his djem so, stopping luke2's second attack from the first djem so. So this goes on for a while until luke2 dies, however he's not really dead until djem so is resolved, right? Now, do all the djem so have to be resolved before the piece(s) are defeated? There being a bunch of twins left from each time the djem so was interrupted by the other djem so. We played it out for a while until each luke had taken over 200 HPs in damage b/c we could. Did we do that right?

I guess my question comes down to what happens to a twin off djem so since it interrupts the original attack if the character was defeated by the first of the djem so. Normally if you have twin and you attack some one you have to make the twin, it's not optional, right? Unless the chracter is defeated on the first attack, then you lose the twin. But you don't lose the twin with the djem so since damage isn't really applied until the djem so is resolved fully. So, once you commit to making that first attack of the djem so, you have to make the second no matter what right because the twin isn't optional right?

Sorry if this is worded confusingly, I'm having trouble discribing my question appropriately.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:40:51 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Twin is only lost when a character is defeated. So essentially, since Djem So happens before the Twin, you resolve that chain to essentially someone misses a Djem So, then you work backwards resolving the Twins (which can also trigger a Djem So chain).

(Djem (Djem (Djem Twin) Twin (Djem Twin) Twin)
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:16:51 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Twin is only lost when a character is defeated. So essentially, since Djem So happens before the Twin, you resolve that chain to essentially someone misses a Djem So, then you work backwards resolving the Twins (which can also trigger a Djem So chain).

(Djem (Djem (Djem Twin) Twin (Djem Twin) Twin)

Or if they make the djem so save, but decided not to attack?

So, I want to make sure I got this right. Say an uggie ran up to luke and hit luke with a crit. Luke makes his djem so save and decides to attack back. If the first attack lands (95% sure it will), the uggie is dead, but luke still has to make his second attack at the dead uggie because the way djem so interrupts?
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:13:46 AM

No. I am talking about the Djem So/Twin chains. The issue is that Djem So occurs at Step 10 of Resolving Effects, before Damage is applied and the figure is removed. Djem So generates an attack, and thus you go back up on the Resolving Effects list. With 2 Djem So'ers going at it, it is quite possible to essentially looping around the Resolving Effects list forever (not likely).

In, your example Eroschilles, you make it all the way to applying damage (which happens before a twin).

Seriously, read the Resolving Effects section of the faq. I cannot stress how important it is.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/minisfaqgeneral
Jester007
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:18:26 PM

ecs05norway wrote:
OTOH, Dark Armor does work against Lightsaber Throw - the attacker isn't adjacent.

Incorrect. You do not get Dark Armor against any attack with a lightsaber. Does not mention anything about having to be adjacent.

Sincerely,
Jester007
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:54:14 PM

Actually, it doesn't work against Lightsaber Throw because the Glossary entry specifically says it doesn't.
twinrevans
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:31:48 PM

Anyone else go back through this thread and read it from start to finish. I officially hate Djem So Style (and Mastery, and being able to Twin off of it)...
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:09:50 PM

Sithborg wrote:
No. I am talking about the Djem So/Twin chains. The issue is that Djem So occurs at Step 10 of Resolving Effects, before Damage is applied and the figure is removed. Djem So generates an attack, and thus you go back up on the Resolving Effects list. With 2 Djem So'ers going at it, it is quite possible to essentially looping around the Resolving Effects list forever (not likely).

In, your example Eroschilles, you make it all the way to applying damage (which happens before a twin).

Seriously, read the Resolving Effects section of the faq. I cannot stress how important it is.

I've read the FAQ before and again now but I'm still a little confused about the twin that is generated by the djem so attack. So you do not do the twin from the djem so until after the first djem so is completely resolved, including damage?

I was under the impression that you do both the djem so and its twin before the damage is applied. Not the normal attack twin, but the djem so twin.

Here's another hypothetical situation. Say you have two lukes again and one attacks the other, the luke being attack makes his save and attacks back, dealing enough damage to kill first luke. First luke misses that djem so save and cannot reroll for whatever reason. The luke who was originally attacked still has a twin from the djem so, does he still have to make it against first luke or is the first djem so completely resolved then and first luke is dead?
Draconarius
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:10:58 PM

arrcot wrote:
swmimperial130 wrote:
defender390 wrote:
swmimperial130 wrote:
We have basically learned Djem so Style is the best way for a Melee Character to kill GMLS.
Also, make saves for each GMLS attack if you have Vader (dark Armor).

Lightsabers ignore Dark Armor, or is there something I am missing?

forgot that, would be cool if he could do it against lightsabers (GMLS would be so dead!)

djem so mastery gives an extra 10 damage it would soak that up but the rest will go through.

No, it doesn't. Dark Armor says attacks with lightsabers ignore the special ability, so as long as someone with a lightsaber is attacking you, you can't use Dark Armor. Doesn't matter whether your opponent gets attack bonuses or where they come from.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:13:25 AM

Eroschilles wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

I've read the FAQ before and again now but I'm still a little confused about the twin that is generated by the djem so attack. So you do not do the twin from the djem so until after the first djem so is completely resolved, including damage?

I was under the impression that you do both the djem so and its twin before the damage is applied. Not the normal attack twin, but the djem so twin.

Here's another hypothetical situation. Say you have two lukes again and one attacks the other, the luke being attack makes his save and attacks back, dealing enough damage to kill first luke. First luke misses that djem so save and cannot reroll for whatever reason. The luke who was originally attacked still has a twin from the djem so, does he still have to make it against first luke or is the first djem so completely resolved then and first luke is dead?

All Twin Attacks happen after Damage is applied. Damage is applied in step 12, and the character is removed in step 14 (after "when defeated effects happen). Twin Attacks are applied in Step 16, after all of this (and returns to step 5 and repeats the process). The Twin's might not be resolved before a character is defeated and removed from the board. Djem So will keep going back and forth until one is missed to complete the attack sequence by applying damage (since Djem So and Riposte are triggered before damage is applied).

In your example, the attack sequence is not interrupted by Djem So, so the damage is applied and Luke is killed before you get your Twin.
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:50:06 PM

Ok, I get it now. Thanks. Some days I'm slower than normal.
idontknow
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:23:29 PM

SO you are saying that if GML and Anakin get into a Djem So style battle does GML get twin when he attacks back or does he only get one attack?
Jester007
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 1:08:40 AM

idontknow wrote:
SO you are saying that if GML and Anakin get into a Djem So style battle does GML get twin when he attacks back or does he only get one attack?

GML will get Twin if Anakin doesn't take enough damage to become defeated.

Here's how the interaction works:

Anakin targets GML with an attack (Step 5).

For simplicity sake there's nothing that can interrupt this like Draw Fire, Pheromones, etc. (so Step 6 is inconcequential).

Anakin makes the attack and rolls (Step 7).

If there is an ability that is triggered when someone is attacked (like Sonic Attack), they are triggered here. (Step 8).

Determine the attack roll result with any special effects like Betrayal, Disintegration, etc. but do not apply them just yet. (Step 9).

Now let's say Anakin scores a hit. GML now has a couple of things he can do. First, he MUST roll for his DSSM. Then he can also use Lightsaber Defense. Let's say he doesn't use the power and rolls for DSSM and he made a successful save, he now gets to make an immediate attack. (Step 10). So now you start a new series of attacks (and GML would get Twin while using DSSM) at Step 5 while still keeping in mind that GML has been hit and will be taking damage.

Step 11 are for abilities triggerred when a character takes damage (things like Bodyguard, Molecular Shielding, Damage Reduction, etc.).

Step 12 is where you add up and apply damage, and also where you resolve Disintegration. You also determine if the character is defeated (Avoid Defeat saves are now made on this step too).

Step 13 takes care of things like Impulsive Shot/Sweep, Self-Destruct, Cleave, Rolling Cleave, etc.

Defeated characters are removed from the battle grid (Step 14).

Non-damaging effects are now done for things like activation saves, Force Push/Repulse movement, etc. (Step 15).

Twin attack now happens. So return to step 5 and go through everything (Step 16).

So it can happen that if someone does enough damage to his target, they will not be able to get Twin off. So the fight between Anakin and GML pretty much will go until someone fails their Djem So save. The damage from the Djem So attacks just keep pilling up until someone misses the save or until someone decides not to attack with a successful Djem So save.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 12:46:08 PM

Needless to say, paper and pen are recomended to keep track of the attacks left.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 10:35:46 AM

I used a die for each Luke to keep track of the number of attacks left. I found that worked just fine for us.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:20:38 PM

Lachesis wrote:
vader scourge is still hiting for 40 luke hiting for 30 it would honestly come down to the rolls. but still a 55 point piece standing up to a 115 point piece will be nice, and let the the other 95 point of my army kill his luke and 35 points

Luke is hitting for 50 on DS. its the twin that makes his DS so evil.
MrSmileys
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:22:51 AM

Here is a fun way to kill GMLS: you move Mistryl Shadow Guard to within 2 and make an attack and hit, (assuming luke fails his saves against Paralysis) he is now activated, then you run up with vader and start beating on him (now we assume that both vader and GMLS make all their DSS saves) they hit back and forth until your vader has done enough damage to kill GML and then you stop. Now we have about 150-200 damage waiting to resolve, well instead of letting vader take it you have Mistryl Shadow Guard take all vaders damage and vader survives with out a scratch while GMLS dies a painful death. (of course you could pair GMLS with MSG as well but thats alot of points)
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:48:26 AM

That will not work. You apply the damage seperately, and each time the damage is applied, you check to see if the figure is defeated. The Bodyguard will not be able to take all of the Luke's Djem So attacks.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:54:20 AM

i just apply the damage as it hits. it creates alot of back and forth with both Djem So's, but its easier for me to track.
i do not see Vader beating GMLS, even with a MSG, or 2 for that matter.