RegisterDonateLogin

Now with 15% less sand in every glass.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Djem So Style vs Djem So Style Mastery Options
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:57:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
i just apply the damage as it hits. it creates alot of back and forth with both Djem So's, but its easier for me to track.
i do not see Vader beating GMLS, even with a MSG, or 2 for that matter.

The only issue with this is that technically, you would have to remove a fig before you can resolve Djem So/Riposte. That is not how the Resolving Effects section of the FAQ says that they are to be applied. I think you would get lost easier as well.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:04:31 AM
Groups: Member

Sithborg wrote:
Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
i just apply the damage as it hits. it creates alot of back and forth with both Djem So's, but its easier for me to track.
i do not see Vader beating GMLS, even with a MSG, or 2 for that matter.

The only issue with this is that technically, you would have to remove a fig before you can resolve Djem So/Riposte. That is not how the Resolving Effects section of the FAQ says that they are to be applied. I think you would get lost easier as well.

as i take the damage, because it sticks regardless, i then make my DS save, No? then make my twin, 1st for 30, 2nd att for 20. vader makes his Djem so save, hits for whatever, then i DS save, make the save, repeat 30, then 20?
just when i thought i had figured this DS thing out.
someone help me....
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:26:07 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/minisfaqgeneral

Resolving Effects. Read it, Memorize it, Use it. It is the most important section of the FAQ, imo, and will help your game tremendously.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:30:50 AM

thanx, i have it printed out.
im just having difficulty with the resolving of effects part. i thought i was using Djem properly, but now i dont know if i am or not.
MrSmileys
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:33:03 AM

Sithborg wrote:
That will not work. You apply the damage seperately, and each time the damage is applied, you check to see if the figure is defeated. The Bodyguard will not be able to take all of the Luke's Djem So attacks.

yep you are right, I did not realize until now that each DSS would trigger its own sequence of events. i was looking at steps 11 and 12 and thinking that the one sequence applied to all the attacks.

#11 Resolve "when this character takes damage" effects. Some effects/abilities trigger (or can be voluntarily triggered) when the target takes damage, such as Shields and Bodyguard. Perform this step only if damage will be applied, using the simultaneous effects rule as necessary. If Bodyguard is being used, it must be resolved prior to other effects like Shields, Damage Reduction, and Dark Armor.
#12 Calculate and apply the total damage and/or resolve Disintegration (if it was not converted to damage previously), and determine if the character is defeated. Resolve Avoid Defeat or any other "when defeated" effects that can prevent defeat in this step.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:16:28 PM

Vader Scorge can beat Luke quite well. And the big difference is that even if he dies in the attempt, he is 55pts to Luke's 115. Technically, all he has to do is land just 70dmg to have done his job. Well, that's just two hits.

Think of it this way guys. Vader hits with thrawn for 40. Luke Djem So's attacks back for 30. Vader then Djem so's back for 40. Luke then djem so's that djem so for 30. If Luke takes his Djem so attacks, he is risking his life. It isn't 50 dmg, it's two attacks. Each one generating another Djem so from Vader as well. Vader hits harder in this scenario.

Oddly, the right play for Luke in this case is to simply take the 80 dmg from Vader and not make a single Djem so attack, but instead try to make the defense saves. If Vader gets the drop on Luke, Luke is a dead man. Heck, if Luke even attacks Vader on his own turn, it isn't a whole lot better.
Draconarius
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:29:20 PM

billiv15 wrote:
Vader Scorge can beat Luke quite well. And the big difference is that even if he dies in the attempt, he is 55pts to Luke's 115. Technically, all he has to do is land just 70dmg to have done his job. Well, that's just two hits.

Think of it this way guys. Vader hits with thrawn for 40. Luke Djem So's attacks back for 30. Vader then Djem so's back for 40. Luke then djem so's that djem so for 30. If Luke takes his Djem so attacks, he is risking his life. It isn't 50 dmg, it's two attacks. Each one generating another Djem so from Vader as well. Vader hits harder in this scenario.

Oddly, the right play for Luke in this case is to simply take the 80 dmg from Vader and not make a single Djem so attack, but instead try to make the defense saves. If Vader gets the drop on Luke, Luke is a dead man. Heck, if Luke even attacks Vader on his own turn, it isn't a whole lot better.

Hence I believe Luke's best bet would be to take it slow with Vader and wear him down with only a couple of attacks per turn (just because you have Triple doesn't mean you have to use it). That way, he can use his advantage in Force Points. If Luke cuts loose, he and Vader will both go down in a flurry of lightsabers. That might mean saving Vader for last, of course, taking the occasional AoO.