RegisterDonateLogin

You must drink what you think is right, of course.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal Regional 2015 - Saturday, July 11 -- DATE CHANGED!!! Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:05:20 PM
Groups: Member

Date: Saturday, July 11 (Sunday morning, July 12 in NZ)
Time: 2:00 pm EST (1:00 pm CST, 6:00 am in NZ)

Cost: FREE!
Map List: A, B, C, D. Use them all...all of them. Please note that not all maps from the current Restricted Map List are available for use on Vassal. If anyone can get me some good-quality images of the maps, I'll add them and we'll use them.
Legal Pieces: All WotC and V-Set pieces, up through and including V-Set 9 (including the BHC pieces).
Squad Format: 200pt Constructed. All SWMGPA Floor Rules will be in effect, including the recent ban of Poggle the Lesser, the Klatooinian Assassin, and the Commando Droid Officer, as well as the recent errata to the Ysalamiri special ability.
Judge: thereisnotry. I'd like to have another judge who can rule if a dispute arises in one of my games; please volunteer if interested.
Prizes: Bragging rights and the deep respect of all the highly skilled players on Vassal. :)
Rounds: Swiss format until we have 1 undefeated player, then cutting to a Top 4 for playoff rounds (1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, then the winners play each other in the Finals).
Game Length: 70 min rounds, including setup time.
Requirements: Skype and the newest versions of the Vassal mod and the V-Set extensions must be armed and fully operational on your computer. If you have trouble, contact me before the Saturday of the tournament and I'll walk you through the process.

Here is a link to download the most current versions of the Vassal mod (version 11.0) and the V-Sets extension (version 9.0): Trevor's OneDrive

How to Register
1. Sign up in this thread.
2. At least one hour (or earlier) before the tournament starts, send me a PM that includes all of the following information for yourself:
-Real name
-Screen name on Vassal
-Skype name
-Squad, fully written out
-Map choice

How the Tournament Will Run
At the start of every new tournament round, everyone will gather in the Main Room on Vassal. I will announce the pairings, and then you and your opponent will make your room. From the moment your pairing is announced, you will have 70 minutes to complete your game. If this were a regular face-to-face tournament, I would obviously prefer to have everyone wait until I announce the start-time so that everyone has exactly the same amount of time. But since we’re on Vassal, I think the easiest and simplest way to do it is to start the time immediately, and give some extra time to set up. Since we’ll all be using Skype, there is no reason why the game has to take longer than 60 minutes. We’ll have 10 minutes to reveal squads, load a map, and pull out our pieces. If some people can get set up faster than 10 minutes, then they’ll have a few extra minutes to play.

We will be using a strict 3-2 scoring system: it will be “200 or 2.” No exceptions, UNLESS you have contacted me beforehand during the match because of a computer glitch or because your opponent was slow-playing, in which case I’ll examine each situation as it comes. Once I call time (that is, by saying so in the game chat or via PM to one of the players), those who are still playing can finish their round and then report their results. If you come prepared to play quickly (but not foolishly) and finish your games under the time limit, you'll have a better chance of doing well.
Amadeus
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:21:09 PM

Count me in!
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:23:28 PM

REGISTRATIONS
1. thereisnotry
2. Amadeus
3. Sharron
4. Dr. Daman
5. KyleL (not on BM)
6. TimmerB123
7. Darth Moore
sharron
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:04:04 PM

Totally thought I had done this. I'm in.
Dr Daman
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:03:21 PM

Im in thats for sure!
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:05:27 AM

Really wish I could play, but I have band practice that morning.
Amadeus
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:34:26 PM

Just wanted to verify, we are in fact using 3-2 scoring instead of 3-2-1 right? Just asking in case it was just copy paste error. Also I will likely have a member of my playgroup make his tournament debut, he just has to check on a few things first before he can say for sure if he can play.

EDIT: He's confirmed he's good to play! He doesn't have a bloomilk account so sign him up as KyleL
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:44:05 AM

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Several of the NZ players have backed out from playing in the tournament this weekend. Therefore, we have CHANGED the DATE of the Regional, to Saturday July 11 (Sunday July 12 in NZ).

Reasons:
1. The primary reason for the original June date was that it worked best for the NZ guys. However, a number who originally said they could play at that time cannot play. So our original push for the June date is now pointless.
2. The June date conflicted with the Wisconsin Regional, and at least 3 people (that I know of) would like to play in the Vassal Regional but cannot because of the conflict on the date. So I hope that moving the Regional to July 11 will allow a bunch of those Wisconsin players to join us.

I should also make it known that I will start the event as judge/TO, but that I'll likely have to leave or drop before it is finished. I've spoken with Dr Daman and he has agreed to take over when I leave.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 7:01:48 AM

Alright, gonna try and make this work.

Thanks Trevor for being cognizant of what date will (hopefully) get the most players. It's not an ideal date for me (parents are coming to town that day), but I feel it's my duty to step up and make it happen. Obviously I want to play too!

I have noticed for years that the vassal regional tends to be under attended which is always disappointing. In theory it should be the biggest regional. I guess because it's on vassal people don't make arrangements to specifically set aside the time. For me I always have to request off work for any regional, and this is no different. Much easier to tell your boss "I'll be in Michigan" or "I'll be in Wisconsin." This one is tricky to explain. But I have requested off, and assuming that request gets granted I will be playing in this tournament (outside of an emergency situation of course)

I encourage others to step up and make the commitment, let's at least make this a regional that is above 10 people like most of the other regionals have been!

Jonnyb815
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 8:50:45 PM

after the WI regional put me down as a maybe. I still can't stand the game right now but I did have fun at that regional.
atmsalad
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 9:07:07 PM

Jonnyb815 wrote:
after the WI regional put me down as a maybe. I still can't stand the game right now but I did have fun at that regional.
Jonny you had a blast and you know it!!
Jonnyb815
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:05:30 AM

atmsalad wrote:
Jonnyb815 wrote:

It was fun and I am open to MAYBE playing in another tournament in the future. It could be this one.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:02:58 AM

Jonnyb815 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
Jonnyb815 wrote:

It was fun and I am open to MAYBE playing in another tournament in the future. It could be this one.
Jonny, what could be more fun for you than completely thrashing me in a game!?!
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:36:02 AM

It's THIS SATURDAY, people!

Hesitate not. Sign up, or sign up not...there is no hesitate.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:14:15 AM

Got the work request off granted. Let's roll!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:18:57 PM

Trevor, your one drive page only has the latest vassal mod (which I have) but not the latest vassal extension (which I need).

Help me out
Dr Daman
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 5:07:44 PM

I believe Darth Moore is playing in this tournament
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:48:02 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Trevor, your one drive page only has the latest vassal mod (which I have) but not the latest vassal extension (which I need).

Help me out
PM (and email) incoming.
Darth Moore
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2015 2:02:22 AM

Yes I will be playing 😊see you all on Sunday
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:54:13 AM

Okay, that's 7 of us so far (assuming that those who signed up before the date change are still in).

I want to remind all participants of this:
At least one hour (or earlier) before the tournament starts, send me a PM that includes all of the following information for yourself:
-Real name
-Screen name on Vassal
-Skype name
-Squad, fully written out
-Map choice

I have sent my squad and map selection to Darth Jim (who is not playing in the Vassal Regional). So after the event, he will be able to confirm that I have not changed my choices after seeing anyone else's choices.

Therefore, you can all feel free to start sending me your info now. If anyone needs any help getting their Vassal program set up and running, please contact me before Saturday.