RegisterDonateLogin

Come on, admit it. Sometimes you think it's all right.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Round 1: Universe vs Galaxy at War Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 9:02:57 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Set vs Set tournament

Universe - donnyride
vs
Galaxy at War - DeathsBaine

Post your squads and explain why you will win. Everyone else - vote publicly for who you think will win. I'll track votes in this top post. (I reserve the right to exclude votes based on suspected sock puppet accounts.)

Voting ends December 11, 2015, 3:00pm EST (New York time).

===
Currently 7-4 for Galaxy at War. I understood DeathsBaine and urbanjedi's posts as votes for GaW. juice_man did not vote.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 9:01:12 PM
Groups: Member

--Universe--
40 Prince Xizor
34 Nom Anor
120 Abyssin Black Sun Thug x15
6 Kaminoan Ascetic

vs

--Kenobi's Commandos--
66 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi General
29 Captain Argyus
60 Senate Commando x3
18 Elite Senate Guard
11 ARF Trooper
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2

Map = Rancor Pen (since I can't use CC Ilum). Lots of cover and no meaningful doors and lots of room to spread out.

BS Thugs = Accurate, Cunning, nades 20, self destruct 20. I have a built in SD20 trigger with nades AND they have super stealth.

I think my Universe Squad would do very well. You can't shoot what you can't see. My Nades and nom bombs would do the trick. My BS thugs with accurate shot would take down the enemy before they had a chance to get to me. Sure the BS thugs attack is low, but you can't miss 15 times. at least 5 of those will hit which is a kill not to mention cunning. Remember when Nom_Bombs ran wild? It was a shooters nightmare. I think my BS thugs take out any shooter squad with ease. The only thing giving my squad problems is powers that remove stealth.

Nom Bombs FTW!!!!
(end of sales pitch)
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:48:49 AM

going to go with Nom bombs (aka Universe) on this one. The points advantage would swing wilding in favor of donny's squad because the thugs don't cost much and do a fair amount of damage with their grenades and their eventual SD 20. The commando's have impressive firepower, but it is way overkill to take out a SS low hp thug with SD 20. The Commando's could take out 9 thugs if they don't take any damage from the grenades and the plethora of shots that they could fire back with, which would leave 6 along with Xixor and Nom to deal with Obi and Argyus. Activation advantage is significant also. Map would be interesting cause in tight corridors SD 20 al of a sudden becomes a nightmare for positioning, but I don't think Donny would put his guys in a position to set off a SD 20 chain reaction.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:47:14 AM

Agreed, Universe looks like it has the edge here and gets my vote. Obi is tough to crack but against self-destruct it's going to be a lot easier. And again sheet points advantage
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 11:04:10 AM

Galaxy At War. There's nothing to stop Obi from rolling right up to Nom and killing him. With Flight, he can fly over people. If everyone packs in around Nom, a self-destruct chain will take out half the squad.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 11:36:40 AM

Should have packed that Treadwell!
gholli69
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 1:38:31 PM

I think I'm going to have to go with Galaxy at war here as I think the R7s could play a huge roll in this matchup, even though rancor pen doesn't have a ton of doors, it does have enough doors that double override in my opinion tips the scales slightly in the favor of Kenobi and the commandos as they can control at least to some degree the fighting and I think that lets them chew through the activations before being overwhelmed.
jerjerrod4
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:30:00 PM

I would go with Galaxy at War in a super close match. I think Kenobi is capable of flying his way across the map and taking down Nom Anor. The R7's on the right map would also make things difficult for Nom to deal with.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:44:46 PM

Excellently done on the squadbuilding, folks. I hate to have to choose one squad over another Crying. However, I think I will go with Galaxy at War. I was leaning toward Universe, until Obi's Flight was pointed out - he'll be super hard to catch, and will have pretty much caught up to Nom by the end of the second round.

Would love to see this round go down in a game, though ThumbsUp
juice man
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 11:31:29 AM

Obi's flight is scary, but if Nom is behind several doors, that gives the grenade throwing exploding Thugs a chance to get close and gren/SD him. Even if he is not behind several doors, Obi still has to cross the map, giving the 18 act thugs plenty of time to blow up/gren him.

Universe, too many activations that can't be attacked from a distance.
spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:56:31 PM

I think Obi can get to Nom with Surprise Move and Flight and therefore would give the nod to GaW.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:18:27 PM

Well, Obi can get to Nom, but he can't kill him right off. Nom takes a hit(or two), moves away, takes another hit, thus clearing the path for explosive duty.
pegolego
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:58:43 PM

Map vote makes this one somewhat interesting if Obi Wan could get to Nom (GaW here has some door control to help out, as well), but at the same time, the bombs are the antidote to Obi-Wan otherwise, and shouldn't have too much trouble winning this game most of the time.

Universe gets my vote.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:04:19 PM

But Obi can burn all his FP on Grenades saves. He doesn't even need to survive the game, since if Nom goes down, the squad is done for. Two R7s can open the doors for Flobi. Once Nom is gone the SCs can have a field day, since the Abyssins can't hit the broad side of a barn so no need to worry about AoO's to get away from Self Destruct.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:06:32 PM

There's no self-destruct when Nom is gone.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:11:11 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
There's no self-destruct when Nom is gone.

Um, yes, exactly. Blushing GaW will win because they won't need to risk AoO's anyways, and CQF from Argyus will ensure they always take out the thug in question. Flapper

EDIT: AND once Nom is gone, they SCs will want to be close up to get CQF, so the Abyssins have to choose between attacking (and probably missing) or using Grenades (and possibly damaging an ally).
juice man
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:18:44 PM

The way I see it, this comes down to "how fast can Obi get next to, and kill Nom". Start 4 spaces from back row, surprise move 6, move 12. 22 spaces. 18 activations vs. 9. That activation discrepancy gives donnyride time to position Nom and some bombs for a chance to pounce on Obi - after he moves to attack Nom in round two. Move Nom away. Surround Obi with bombs and then gren him and the bombs around him. If one bomb fails they all blow up. Only need six to kill Obi. There are 15. Donny could even, maybe throw grens and then get close with the same bomb dude, and do gren damage, reducing the thug sacrifice.

Don't pack in around Nom. Pack in around Obi, after he's gone.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:22:21 PM

Any map that has doors blocking gambit.... surprise move to gambit lock out.... win the game....
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:28:40 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Any map that has doors blocking gambit.... surprise move to gambit lock out.... win the game....

LOL awesome. We're debating the viability of a supertank flying through self-destrutors on a deep strike, and then you come up with this.

Also, is this an official vote for yourself, or just a comment on our little debate?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:45:54 PM

Grenades to set off your own chain reaction. That might work. Lockout might also work... What map?