RegisterDonateLogin

Come on, Snips.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What did you think about the movie?
Choice Votes Statistics
Best Star Wars Thing Ever (Awesome)! 6 13.636363 %
Really Good, but has some flaws (good) 21 47.727272 %
Ok, not as good as old stuff (meh) 10 22.727272 %
A Nice first try, better luck next time (poor) 5 11.363636 %
Not good at all (awefull) 2 4.545454 %
Worse than rolling a 1 against Kreia :( 0 0.000000 %

Star Wars Episode VII Thumbs up or down? Options
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 11:34:14 AM
Groups: Member

StarKiller97 wrote:

None of the fight scenes were "epic" imo like RoTS

For the most part the fight scenes in RotS were good (my favorite was the one between Yoda and Palpatine in the senate), the only one I really don't like was the one between Obi-Wan and Anakin on Mustafar. It just felt like Cirque de star wars instead of an actually lightsaber fight. Way to choreographed. I just kinda laughed when they first showed them swinging on the ropes to try and hit each other and I was thinking "and now for our next show the Jedi Acrobats!!!" The battle looked more like a dance to me with very few of their lightsaber strikes actually trying to hit the other but instead just trying to hit each others blades and do fancy parries. At least in episode 4 when Obi wan and Vader fight on the Death Star you see them actually try to kill each other and because of that there was some tension.
Jakster
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:48:40 PM

Not good/original enough to earn a "good", too well made to earn "meh".
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:48:03 PM

In my post I forget to mention the worst part ever that just felt like a generic last minute idea. The Bombs didn't lower the shields, so they find Phasma and force her to do it. IRL any soldier would refuse and pick death over exposing the entire military.

Weak Sauce!!! ThumbDown

still a good movie though...BigGrin
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:04:01 PM

I think that the forest fight was a cool new location and it really showed why that style of Lightsaber was deadly. I wan o learn more about these Knights of Ren now though. And that's part of why ROTS is still my favourite. But for a "first in the trilogy" they had some pretty cool scenes. The chase scene wth the tail gunning tie. Ground battle against the rebellion. That epic falcon chase scene on Jakku were all immediate classics.
SignerJ
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:05:44 PM

donnyrides wrote:
In my post I forget to mention the worst part ever that just felt like a generic last minute idea. The Bombs didn't lower the shields, so they find Phasma and force her to do it. IRL any soldier would refuse and pick death over exposing the entire military.

Weak Sauce!!! ThumbDown

I still think this is the largest hole in the movie's plot
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:14:40 PM

SignerJ wrote:
donnyrides wrote:

Weak Sauce!!! ThumbDown

I still think this is the largest hole in the movie's plot

They could have double dipped on Rey's new found jedi mind trick powers and had her make phasma do it.

Rey: "you will lower the shields"
Phasma: "No I won't"
[force power rumble in theater]
Rey: "you will lower the shields"
Phasma: "I will lower the shields"

Better than how it went down in the movie if you ask me :)
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:57:54 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Revised movies order:

3, 5, 7, 4, 1, 6, 2

Mine would be:
4, 5, 7, 6, 3, 1, 2

For some reason I've only seen Revenge of the Sith in its entirety once, so it could probably move up or down a place.

Phasma lowering the shields so easily was the biggest plot hole for me as well.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:27:54 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Prediction: Phasma is undercover for the resistance.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:46:09 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Prediction: Phasma is undercover for the resistance.

Hmmm.... that's new

But still, How the heck did she get out of there! If they did throw her in a trash compactor, did she get out in time to run away with Hux?
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:05:35 PM

Prediction: The Dianoga Trash Compactor Monster is Supreme Leader Snoke, who used a Force Storm to teleport her away.
coffeebean
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:48:26 AM

I don't believe it's a plot hole. I think phasma is a character that there is much more to then the movie eludes. Phasma does not deal directly with snoke, which means her alligences lie somewhere else. Possibly mandalorian, or even a fett. She seems almost like a contract worker, or a rep from the company that supplies the first order with stormies. I'm guessing that phasma doesn't really care if the first order succeeds or fails. And it is possible that she views the destruction of star killer base as a massive insurance payout. Just like today, military contractors love it when ships sink and planes crash cause it means more new contracts.

Aleast that's my theory.

Boba fett runs the company that make the stormies now.
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:04:09 AM

coffeebean wrote:
I don't believe it's a plot hole. I think phasma is a character that there is much more to then the movie eludes. Phasma does not deal directly with snoke, which means her alligences lie somewhere else. Possibly mandalorian, or even a fett. She seems almost like a contract worker, or a rep from the company that supplies the first order with stormies. I'm guessing that phasma doesn't really care if the first order succeeds or fails. And it is possible that she views the destruction of star killer base as a massive insurance payout. Just like today, military contractors love it when ships sink and planes crash cause it means more new contracts.

Aleast that's my theory.

Boba fett runs the company that make the stormies now.
Hmmm, food for thought, Mr. Bean.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:20:38 AM

There have been hints that Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc in the new canon so these are plausible theories.
Chargers
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:28:07 AM

I voted "meh."

Just didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Even despite the retread story.
Felt something like Star Trek The Motion Picture ... a reunion show before later episodes got good. This is more of a hand-off movie (to the next group of actors) rather than just a reunion, but the same feel for me.
And couldn't get past the plot weaknesses. Yeah, A New Hope had them also but that had a good overall story of the feel of wonder and awe. This didn't.

Overall, walked out just kind of blah. My kids are disappointed that I didn't overly like it.

Sure, I'll get it on disc sometime. But ain't gonna go back to the theater to see it again.

juice man
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:35:02 AM

Chargers wrote:
My kids are disappointed that I didn't overly like it.
Wonder what the age range is on the "meh" and lower vs. "really liked it" age range.
kezzamachineII
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:37:42 AM

I think this one was my favourite!
Jakster
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 10:47:08 AM

Gungan Batman Clone wrote:
There have been hints that Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc in the new canon so these are plausible theories.

As plausible as Tarkin having survived the Death Star exploding, because we don't actually see him explode on the screen.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:51:09 AM

Makes me wonder if Han will come back as a cyborg - ala Darth Maul.

(no, it really doesn't)
Naarkon
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 12:06:11 PM

I just saw it yesterday, and to me it was pretty good, but they borrowed WAY too much from the plots of the previous films. I mean, I like parallels in the story, but come on, there wasn't a new plot device in the whole thing.

Also, the sun cannon was a little weird. Does the intake port have to be pointing at the sun? What happens when it's on the other side of the planet? If that side of the planet is always towards the sun (like Ryloth, for example), why is there snow and not a baked desert? How in the world do you aim a planet? How does the resistance know that they are the new target when they just discovered the existence of this weapon? How do you hide that weapon when it seems to be in sight of the republic? Why does the weapon's beam move so slowly? Why introduce the Republic 15 minutes before wiping it out?

...Sorry about the mess.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 12:55:47 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Can't answer most of those questions, but my assumption about the weather was that the planet got colder and colder (more snow) the more of the sun's power the weapon absorbed. I think that tracks (although the science of the whole thing is really best not thought about too deeply).