RegisterDonateLogin

Kissed Luke to make Han jealous.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What did you think about the movie?
Choice Votes Statistics
Best Star Wars Thing Ever (Awesome)! 6 13.636363 %
Really Good, but has some flaws (good) 21 47.727272 %
Ok, not as good as old stuff (meh) 10 22.727272 %
A Nice first try, better luck next time (poor) 5 11.363636 %
Not good at all (awefull) 2 4.545454 %
Worse than rolling a 1 against Kreia :( 0 0.000000 %

Star Wars Episode VII Thumbs up or down? Options
juice man
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:21:49 PM
Groups: Member

Naarkon wrote:
Also, the sun cannon was a little weird. Does the intake port have to be pointing at the sun? What happens when it's on the other side of the planet? If that side of the planet is always towards the sun (like Ryloth, for example), why is there snow and not a baked desert? How in the world do you aim a planet? How does the resistance know that they are the new target when they just discovered the existence of this weapon? How do you hide that weapon when it seems to be in sight of the republic? Why does the weapon's beam move so slowly? Why introduce the Republic 15 minutes before wiping it out?

...Sorry about the mess.
Laugh
jak
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:18:40 PM

juice man wrote:
Chargers wrote:
My kids are disappointed that I didn't overly like it.
Wonder what the age range is on the "meh" and lower vs. "really liked it" age range.

I think so.
there is only a few on Bloo that saw every movies at it's first release, when we were teens/adults.( born before 1965)
this one seems made for kids to capture a new generation of Star Wars fans.
people have a hard time relating to movies made a decade or two before they were born.
now they have their own "new hope".
Jakster
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:40:23 PM

jak wrote:
juice man wrote:
Chargers wrote:
My kids are disappointed that I didn't overly like it.
Wonder what the age range is on the "meh" and lower vs. "really liked it" age range.

I think so.
there is only a few on Bloo that saw every movies at it's first release, when we were teens/adults.( born before 1965)
this one seems made for kids to capture a new generation of Star Wars fans.
people have a hard time relating to movies made a decade or two before they were born.
now they have their own "new hope".

As the name says, a "timeless classic" should be able to be enjoyed by generations to come.
I certainly do enjoy and appreciate movies like "Bridge on the River Kwai" or "Lawrence of Arabia", both made more than 10 years before my birth.
I consider "A New Hope" a timeless classic, if you can't enjoy it, it's likely because you aren't the type, not because you are too young.
cassekiel
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 8:24:46 PM

StarKiller97 wrote:
Did anyone notice there was blood in the movie. I did NOT like that at all. Lightsabers and Blasters would cauterize the wound immediately. On top of that, none of the past Star Wars had blood.

+1 agreed
gholli69
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 8:36:05 PM

Not true at all about the no blood thing, go back and watch the cantina scene in A New Hope where Kenobi cuts off Ponda Babas arm, I agree that there probably shouldn't have been due the cauterizing nature of a saber blade, but it is there.
cassekiel
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 8:43:10 PM

I like George Lucas and think the prequels were underrated. The ideas behind them were great but I will admit the films could have been done a lot better. They did add a lot of new dimensions and depth to the galaxy and they are very original (very important for me). I wish Disney would have stuck to his treatment but had Kasdan write the screenplay rather than dropping his treatment altogether.

Episode 7 added very little if anything new to the Star Wars universe. It had great characters but was TERRIBLY unoriginal. As a sci-fi/fantasy movie it was great. Not so much as a saga film. I'm sure all of us loved seeing the OT gang together again and seeing the opening scroll again was very emotional so it was a nice experience to have.

I can understand from a creative standpoint dropping the EU to "allow for maximum creativity." That really sucked but when Disney did that and then "borrowed heavily" from Episode 4 I can't help but feel slightly ripped off.

I'm sure my rankings will be somewhat unpopular but here goes.

5, 3, 6, 2, 4, 1, 7 although 2 and 4 are pretty much a tie.
cassekiel
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 8:44:57 PM

gholli69 wrote:
Not true at all about the no blood thing, go back and watch the cantina scene in A New Hope where Kenobi cuts off Ponda Babas arm, I agree that there probably shouldn't have been due the cauterizing nature of a saber blade, but it is there.

Lol, I forgot about that. You are right. Still SW movies have never had much blood in them...7 really doesn't either.
Jakster
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 8:57:08 PM

cassekiel wrote:
I like George Lucas and think the prequels were underrated. The ideas behind them were great but I will admit the films could have been done a lot better. They did add a lot of new dimensions and depth to the galaxy and they are very original (very important for me). I wish Disney would have stuck to his treatment but had Kasdan write the screenplay rather than dropping his treatment altogether.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2016 1:54:11 PM

CerousMutor
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2016 3:50:55 PM

Pointless bashing.

Plot holes!Flapper
Obi Wan forgot he had droids AND forgets that Leia and Luke are Twins and that Vader is there Dad and its probably a bad idea to take them anywhere near him being that they had to hide them because he could sense them and that Yoda was still alive...I could go on.Flapper
juice man
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2016 4:19:49 PM

All of these movies have plot holes bigger than the Death Star. Some of those 40 aren't that big. One, #34, makes me wonder if the author paid attention to the movie. Just hope the next one is in line with the new story.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2016 5:27:16 PM

here is the the thing with sagas. it will all depends on the next movies.
a lot of those plot holes can be filled easily with the next movie.

some can't out seem very hard to cough r2d2

I am really looking forward to understanding why rey is so powerful (knows wookiee) so easily, why luke ran and hid away yoda style, what has happened to the first order and republic, snoke's backstory, captain phasma, and maybe even more on han solo and the millennium falcon. perhaps some of these stand alone films will help out a tad.

but I guess what I am saying is that a lot of the problems we see today might not exist tomorrow (2 years from now).

but I for one thought it was a great opening movie that is really meant to set the stage. rey and kylo ren being trained and destined to battle again, the fight scenes being amazing and the use of actual force outside push, lightning, and jump all were amazing to see and I am looking forward top seeing them progress and see where they take kylo ren. hans last image of loving his son, I feel, will play a large part in kylo's struggle with the light
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2016 9:48:39 PM

Yeah, I'm one of those old geezers referred to earlier that has seen every one of the saga in the movie theater...I drove to the first one in 1977. I loved this one. I get all of the criticisms...some I agree with, some I don't. The bottom line for me is that, for the first time since Episode VI, I went into the theater not knowing where the story was going to go. I wasn't disappointed. When I posted that on Facebook, someone countered that he couldn't believe that I couldn't see that it followed the format in Episode IV. While you can certainly draw parallels, it's not like the LotR trilogy where you knew where it ultimately had to go. (Nothing wrong with that, by the way, but generally following a formula isn't the same as following already written and read books.) Like I said, I know it's not perfect...I don't think Kylo Ren comes close yet to Vader as a villain, but I'm willing to wait to see more. Rey and Finn are characters that I can't wait to see developed, and if and when the torch is passed to them and even Luke fades to a force spirit, I'll willingly follow their story. Star Wars entered my life at 17 and at 55 I am as engaged in the saga as I ever was.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2016 10:08:39 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Les posted a great theory on Facebook. If Rey is Ben's sister, that explains why she knows Wookiee (first few years with Chewie), explains why Han was right there when she left the planet, and puts a lot more meaning into Kylo saying that Han would have disappointed her as a father. Doesn't explain why she was placed on Jakku in the first place though.
Weeks
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2016 11:19:15 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Les posted a great theory on Facebook. If Rey is Ben's sister, that explains why she knows Wookiee (first few years with Chewie), explains why Han was right there when she left the planet, and puts a lot more meaning into Kylo saying that Han would have disappointed her as a father. Doesn't explain why she was placed on Jakku in the first place though.

I think she is Luke's daughter. Luke went into hiding and probably dropped her off so no one would find her there (Father of the year type effort). Maybe Rey's mother is from Jakku or it was just even more remote than Tatooine.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:48:12 AM

jen'ari wrote:
some can't out seem very hard to cough r2d2
Could you clear this up?
juice man
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:59:03 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Yeah, I'm one of those old geezers referred to earlier that has seen every one of the saga in the movie theater...I drove to the first one in 1977. I loved this one. I get all of the criticisms...some I agree with, some I don't. The bottom line for me is that, for the first time since Episode VI, I went into the theater not knowing where the story was going to go. I wasn't disappointed. When I posted that on Facebook, someone countered that he couldn't believe that I couldn't see that it followed the format in Episode IV. While you can certainly draw parallels, it's not like the LotR trilogy where you knew where it ultimately had to go. (Nothing wrong with that, by the way, but generally following a formula isn't the same as following already written and read books.) Like I said, I know it's not perfect...I don't think Kylo Ren comes close yet to Vader as a villain, but I'm willing to wait to see more. Rey and Finn are characters that I can't wait to see developed, and if and when the torch is passed to them and even Luke fades to a force spirit, I'll willingly follow their story. Star Wars entered my life at 17 and at 55 I am as engaged in the saga as I ever was.
The really sad thing is, at the time, the FX for these movies were jaw dropping. So much so that the plot holes and bad dialog just didn't get noticed. Watching them years later just isn't as awesome. (especially after getting "enhanced" by Lucas) Sill watch the next one though.
SignerJ
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2016 7:20:15 AM

coffeebean wrote:
I don't believe it's a plot hole. I think phasma is a character that there is much more to then the movie eludes. Phasma does not deal directly with snoke, which means her alligences lie somewhere else. Possibly mandalorian, or even a fett. She seems almost like a contract worker, or a rep from the company that supplies the first order with stormies. I'm guessing that phasma doesn't really care if the first order succeeds or fails. And it is possible that she views the destruction of star killer base as a massive insurance payout. Just like today, military contractors love it when ships sink and planes crash cause it means more new contracts.

Aleast that's my theory.

Boba fett runs the company that make the stormies now.

I don't know. Didn't the movie try and characterize Phasma as a stormtrooper commander? I thought that she didn't deal with Snoke for the same reason other commanders didn't--too low on the totem pole. The First Order's military looks very hierarchical.

I just don't really buy the idea that she's an third-party contractor. If she is, that would help resolve her character of some of that plot hole. But I think that movie was trying to characterize her as a stormtrooper commander, in which case, her lowering the shields would be completely out of character.

Naarkon wrote:
I just saw it yesterday, and to me it was pretty good, but they borrowed WAY too much from the plots of the previous films. I mean, I like parallels in the story, but come on, there wasn't a new plot device in the whole thing.

Also, the sun cannon was a little weird. Does the intake port have to be pointing at the sun? What happens when it's on the other side of the planet? If that side of the planet is always towards the sun (like Ryloth, for example), why is there snow and not a baked desert? How in the world do you aim a planet? How does the resistance know that they are the new target when they just discovered the existence of this weapon? How do you hide that weapon when it seems to be in sight of the republic? Why does the weapon's beam move so slowly? Why introduce the Republic 15 minutes before wiping it out?

...Sorry about the mess.

Same. And this is ignoring questions like: "What happens when they use up their sun?", "Why did Finn call it a 'sun' and not a 'star'," "Why can they still see on the planet, if their only source of light has been extinguished," and, my favorite, "How can they store and ENTIRE STAR's mass inside a PLANET and not cause it to collapse into a black hole?"

Also, I don't know enough physics to say for certain, but I'm pretty sure that using a "thermal oscillator" to store the energy makes no sense. Call it a "thermal power converter" or whatever, just not an oscillator. Because while "oscillator" *sounds* cool, it makes NO sense whatsoever.

I understand what UrbanShmi is saying about not looking at the science too closely, but everything I mentioned above bugged me during the movie. The way I look at it, if the science is so bad that it snaps me out of the moment, they did something wrong.

(Also, can I complain a bit about calling it a "sun"?? That just doesn't sound Star Wars-y to me. As far as I remember--correct me if I'm wrong--Star Wars always uses the word "star", not "sun"?)
CorellianComedian
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2016 8:22:21 AM

Twin Suns of Tatooine?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2016 8:24:09 AM

lol, I have this image of that clay referee off of celebrity death match answering all these questions with his typical "I'll allow it" answer.