RegisterDonateLogin

Can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What should we do for our next campaign?
Choice Votes Statistics
Losers Imperial vs Republic 5 55.555555 %
New Republic vs Sith 1 11.111111 %
Old Republic vs Sith 1 11.111111 %
New Republic/Rebel vs Sith/Mando 0 0.000000 %
Other, please leave idea in comments. 2 22.222222 %

Ideas for next campaign Options
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:08:54 AM
Groups: Member

So since this one is almost concluded, I was interested to see what people wanted to do for the next campaign. It obviously wouldn't start right away, but its one of those things that can keep the game fresh and keep people playing. I am going to add a poll and see how ppl vote.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:47:42 AM

what ever we do, do we have to restrict common fringe pieces to just 1 per squad.
Rebels having access to Override was a big advantage.
why no Uggies?
jerjerrod4
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:57:37 AM

I would think giving R7's a limit of 2 would be ok. I don't know about Uggies, I thought ppl liked them as a fringe bonus, but what do I know, I'm a n00b.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:08:06 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jak wrote:
what ever we do, do we have to restrict common fringe pieces to just 1 per squad.
Rebels having access to Override was a big advantage.
why no Uggies?

They copied that from previous campaigns. I had left ugnaughts out for a couple reasons. That made it a Fringe bonus worth getting excited about, and it made the other Satchel Charge pieces (maybe even Human Engineer) a lot more valuable. A big part of this format was to let pieces that don't get played very often have a chance to shine.

But whoever runs the next one is free to adjust however they want.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:20:01 AM

I'm good with any, really. I would take slight issue with the continuity of NR/Rebels vs. Sith/Mandos, because unless I'm mistaken, they were good guys during the NR Era. Sith/Mandos would be more of an Old Republic deal, I would think. But it would still be cool.

I'm not a huge fan of the unlimited Uggies idea; universal unlimited Satchel Charge is one thing, but cheap 3-point activations for all just seems a little out of place in campaign.

I think we would definitely need to see how the factions stack up against each other in certain tech areas, i.e. does one side have way more door control than the other? In hindsight, I think it would have evened out door control nicely to allow the BX Infiltrators to be unrestricted, or at least allocated to multiple players. They provide some handy door control that fits thematically.

But unlimited 3-point Fringe pieces allows every squad to play the out-act game, which should be reserved for the competitive tables, I think.

Whichever one we go with, we'll need to check the number of independent good squads. The Rebels absolutely destroyed in the previous campaign, partly due to the fact that they have a bazillion Tier 1 and 1.5 squads that don't really rely on the same pieces. In any given tournament, the Seps can meet the Rebels swing for swing, but the Seps rely on a much smaller pool of good pieces to make their top squads.

One really good Rebel squad is Vander, Klat Captain, and pilots. Another is Cannon Leia and Han Smuggler. Another is Crix and SpecForce or Commandos. They've got a ton of different options that all run independently of each other.

The Seps, on the other hand, almost always (it seems to me) need any of Grievous, Whorm, Poggle, San Hill, or Gha Nachkt. With the few other squad types they have (Alto Stratus and Red Hand Syndicate, BX Commandos, etc), they have much less available to them.

And +1 to what FlyingArrow said.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:25:54 AM

As far as what to do next, a losers campaign would be cool, although we'd need to do something like allow some Imperial restricted pieces to be allocated twice, because again, the Republic has a billion Uniques that will rise to the challenge of campaign play, while the Empire pretty much has Thrawn and Daala. Maybe Weir could successfully go independently of Thrawn, and some Vaders could also go without Thrawn's help. (Emperor Palpatine, Sith Lord would bring up an interesting conundrum :P).

I would also vote for NR vs. Imperials, since thematically I think that's what would happen next? Rebels re-organize into the New Republic, and Empire goes all First Order style and comes out of nowhere.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:12:33 AM

Thrawn, Daala, Vader / Palps, Reborn, Weir, are all options for Imps.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:33:32 AM

New Republic vs. Yuuzhan Vong!!!!!!Love BigGrin

YV will need some tweaking and still get their a$$e$ kicked, but it would be FUN, FUN, FUN. (do ya get the impression I like the Vong?)

PS

I can hear all the groans from the non-Peace Brigade people.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:37:26 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
The Rebels absolutely destroyed in the previous campaign, partly due to the fact that they have a bazillion Tier 1 and 1.5 squads that don't really rely on the same pieces. In any given tournament, the Seps can meet the Rebels swing for swing, but the Seps rely on a much smaller pool of good pieces to make their top squads.
CC, I thought our victory was due to excellent commanders.BigGrin
Lafcadio
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:19:56 AM

I like all of those options! Right now, I would vote for the "Losers Campaign" (Imperials v Republic).

An idea I just had off the top of my head would be a campaign that takes place between eras. Like Separatists and Imperials verses Republic and Rebels.

Or another interesting thought I had was a campaign that spans several eras, like Old Republic/Republic/New Republic verses Sith/Separatists/Imperials.

Or a campaign that pits factions that should be on the same side against each other. Like Seps v Imp. or Rebels v Republic etc...

Again, those are just off the top of my head... It could be that in reality those are terrible ideas.
I'd be up for playing with any of the other ideas already thrown out there!
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:45:29 AM

As much as I would love to see th current "bloomilk canon storyline" continued, some options being:
Separatist versus Vong/Sith (battle in the unknown regions!)
Or
Rebel versus Vong (they didn't have time to prepare themselves!)
Separatist versus New Republic (the Ark returns!!!)

But that could be down the road, and as is it would probably be nice to give those factions a break and I think it could be fun to do a civil war style campaign with Imperials and Republic. It could even tie in is a "flashback" campaign where Palaptine tried launching his imperials early with order 66 but a republic scientist found a way to block the signal to thier microchips that altered behaviour and as such you have clones fighting stormtroopers and a clone of Anakin in Darth Vader. So as much as I would like to do Seps versus Sith/NR/Vong as the Grievous in me wants to keep going. I'm going to vote for the Imperial/Republic this time round. And anyone volunteering for supreme commanders/organizers? Doing both the leading and score tracking/kill updating was definitely a bit of a task for one person but I can help out again to keep it going. I think these are awesome for the community though.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:45:38 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of the unlimited Uggies idea; universal unlimited Satchel Charge is one thing, but cheap 3-point activations for all just seems a little out of place in campaign.

But unlimited 3-point Fringe pieces allows every squad to play the out-act game, which should be reserved for the competitive tables, I think.

Never suggested unlimited Uggies, a limit to be sure.1 or 2
It sucks to lose a game because of door control
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:50:04 AM

And I would be open to adding a single ugnaught to the fringe list. But then that poor human engineer would dissapear haha. I'm also going to go through and flesh out the rest of the map list once people decide on an era/Sudeste to battle with. And a Nice tuins to help out factions with fewer uniques is to give them the bounty hunters from the start.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:23:40 AM

I accidentally clicked on NR vs Sith but I meant to click Republic vs Imperial.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:26:40 AM

I'm also willing to be Republic Supreme Commander too as next to Rebels it's the faction I know best. I can help with deciding the map list and Fringe bonuses too. So if we plan another, we could split the list down the middle.
Lafcadio
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:47:34 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
And a Nice tuins to help out factions with fewer uniques is to give them the bounty hunters from the start.

I had thought of that too! I think that would be a good way to even out the playing field!
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:01:58 AM

juice man wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:
The Rebels absolutely destroyed in the previous campaign, partly due to the fact that they have a bazillion Tier 1 and 1.5 squads that don't really rely on the same pieces. In any given tournament, the Seps can meet the Rebels swing for swing, but the Seps rely on a much smaller pool of good pieces to make their top squads.
CC, I thought our victory was due to excellent commanders.BigGrin

Well, it was, but that was aided by the slight advantage mentioned above. Flapper

@jak thank you for the correction. Not sure how I managed to read your post and assume that. Blushing

@juice man, would you be able to be the SC of the Vong, if that happened? I bet there would be at least 3 people (including me, if I betray the Rebellion) ending up on the Vong team who have no idea what they're doing.
DarthMaim
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:17:47 AM

I voted other. I love New Republic vs Imperials. I am a huge fan of the Timothy Zahn book series, Heir to the Empire! (Screw Disney eliminating the canon). Both are fun and competitive factions, that I have been successful in tournaments with. Both have been successful in the meta as well, and have 1.0 and 1.5 tier squads, and have won GenCon, respectively.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:24:48 AM

Since this is likely an event that will happen in the future, I have now compiled a list of the Unique Characters for the Republic, Imperial, and New Republic factions since NR vs Imperial, or Imperial vs Republic seems the likely direction this campaign will go.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:00:15 AM

Looking like Imperial/Republic Civil war time so far. Would everyone be ok with that? I can start going through the fringe bonuses this week and we could shoot for a mid to late February start if that's ok with everyone.
We could call it:
Republic Versus Empire: Civil War (did I just rip off Captain America hahaha)

If that sounds good I'll start up the supporting threads. Unless someone else wants to be scorekeeper. And as per before if people start spreading the word and finding partners to game with. My brother and I are in for the next round.