RegisterDonateLogin

No blasters! No blasters!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

NW Ohio Regional Options
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 4:02:46 PM
Groups: Member

Kazdan Paratus and Pong Krell win the regional with Jason K.

I'm so happy he ran this squad, I made this version back when Pong Krell came out, and was laughed at. So happy someone actually ran it, lol Congrats!
theultrastar
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 5:37:30 PM

Post link to squad or it didn't happen
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 5:51:02 PM

theultrastar wrote:
Post link to squad or it didn't happen

Welp, then it didn't happen :( I delete squads more often than I make squads. The only squad I have saved before 2017 is.... Mace Windu :)
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 5:55:04 PM

oh yeah you most definitely made that squad
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 5:58:42 PM

but I don't want to take anything away from Jason, Awesome job man, you sir are the gold standard of star wars minis.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:23:50 PM

--Sith on a Skiff.--
63 Darth Bane, Sith'ari
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
25 Barada on Desert Skiff
20 Blizz
20 Queen Amanoa
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Klatooinian Black Sun Thug
3 XT-6 Droid

(199pts. 8 activations)

Six out of sixteen. 2-2, 8pts.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:24:56 PM

juice man wrote:
--Sith on a Skiff.--
63 Darth Bane, Sith'ari
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
20 Blizz
20 Queen Amanoa
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Klatooinian Black Sun Thug
3 XT-6 Droid

(199pts. 8 activations)

Six out of sixteen. 2-2, 8pots.

That looks so fun man.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:21:24 PM

It was fun. No Vong for anyone this time. Odd, for me.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:35:06 PM

juice man wrote:

I hope this trend continues :)
Naarkon
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:13:16 AM

Had lots of fun playing yesterday. Many thanks to Shawn for organizing the event.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:51:59 AM

shmi15 wrote:
juice man wrote:

I hope this trend continues :)
Lets not get carried away. Scared
AceAce
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:18:14 AM

Played Boba, Talon, Greedo, Zuckuss, ZC Defiler, Shada Du'kal, R7 and 2 ugnaughts. Good day, 2-2 with 7 points and finished in 7th in a stacked 16 team Regional. Liked it, murder against melee squads - both Sith I played couldn't get anything going with the bubble. Close game against Bronson's B&B like 136-110 in my loss. Lost to Tim in round 1 200-75 (only time I didn't get a point, but I was close.) Good day, good company and nice work Caedus on a fun Regional.
jak
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 8:01:43 AM

I played an OR Aol squad with Barada's Skiff called

HOP, SKIFF, AND A JUMP.
45 Valenthyne Farfalla
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
64 Army of Light Jedi Lord x2
15 Army of Light Consular
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 XT-6 Droid
3 mouse droid
Preferred Reinforcements:
(Farfalla) 20 Old Republic Rookie x5

(199pts. 15 activations)

1ST RD- played Jason's wacky reserve squad.
he got his 2x 30 reserves every round except the first, he even "stole" my init onceCursing
his squad doubled in size, it felt like I was face the entire Grand Army of the Republic,
with a side order of droidsThumbDown
Blushing got thumped

2ND RD-VS Joe, we drove 3 hours to play each other. worse still, in practice,
he totally destroyed me every time. Sad . sat down waiting to receive my
pounding. this game, I held back while he killed Bastilla. send Val. and some rookies to
chase down Queen Amoana.(that bitch pisses me off).while I was hunting her, Bane won his fight with Bastilla.
Caedus hopped on a nearly destroyed Skiff to join me towards center map, where most of my survivors were.
a Aol Jedi ran and destroyed the Skiff. Caedus needed a save 6 to survive,poor Joe rolled a 5.
after that, a wounded Bane fell, and I amazingly wonBlink

more later
juice man
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 8:57:03 AM

Confused Cursing Crying
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:15:52 PM

Sorry about the delay (real life happened)

So a complete rundown of squads. Champ first, then in no particular order.

urbanjedi - Republic - Pong, Kazdan, Capt Rex, CLObot, R2 Astro, MTB, 3x ugg, 3x mice *Champ*

Lily_Wan - Republic - Celeste, Morrigan, Vornskr Alpha, ERC Sev, Foul, Blizz, Watto, R2 Astro, ugg

UrbanShmi - Sep - Alto Stratus, Talon, Mira, Red Hand Syn Boss, 2x Dooku's Acolyte, Red Hand Syn Thug, Umbarran Soldier, 2x ugg

Lou - Imp - Thrawn, Morrigan, Arica, Mira, Lobot, Ozzel, R7, Mas, 3x Brute. (2x ugg, mouse via Lobot)

DarthJim - Fringe - Embo, Aves, Morrigan, Talon, Mira, Wookie Thug, R7, 2x ugg

juice man - Sith - Bane Sith'ari, Darth Caedus SL, Barada, Blizz, Queen, R7, KBST, XT-6

spryguy1981 - Rebel - Kanan, Ahsoka CotR, Luke Commando, Ferus, Ezra, See-Threepio, Dodonna, R2 Sensor, 2x ugg

DrakDracul - NR - Queen A. Solo, Han CL, Gen Wedge, Ganner, Lobot, R2-C3PO GH, Dodonna, 2x Brute, 4x ugg (Lobot Reins)

atmsalad - Imp - Daala, Piett, Pellaeon, 2x Imp Officer, Repulsor, 2x Elite Scout Trp, Needa, Mas, Raxus, 3x Imp Dig, Killik Drone

jak - OR - Farfalla, Bastila JM, 2x AoL Jedi Lord, Barada, AoL Consular, R7, mouse, ugg, XT-6 (5x OR Rookie via Farfalla)

TimmerB123 - Rebel - L&L Speeder, Han Smug, Lobot, Bothan Noble, Elite RC, Crix, Rieekan, Threepio, Dodonna, 2x mice (Lobot Reins)

AceAce - Fringe - BAFH, Zuckuss, Talon, Shada, Zann Defiler, Greedo BH, R7, 2x ugg

thereisnotry - Mandos - Mando the Vindicated, Jangolore, Kelborn, Mira, Mando Tactician, Mando Demo

Caedus - Sith - Plagueis the Wise, Cognus, Zannah, Queen, Freedon DFS, Sith Recruit, 2x ugg

theultrastar - Imp - BAFH, Thrawn, Arica, Lobot, Pellaeon, Ozzel, Mas, 3x mice, 3x Brute, 2x ugg

Naarkon - Sith - Cognus, Warb Null, Ommin, Talon SA, Exar DFS, 3x ugg, XT-6,

16 Participants: Seps, Rep x2, Sith x3, Fringe x2, Imp x3, Mando, OR, NR, Rebel x2

I'll let the Champ do his write-up and anyone else that would like to as well.

shmi15
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:17:33 PM

Can someone explain this Barada Skiff? I just don't see its effectiveness yet I see it in a lot of squads? Do people just use it as a sack piece to get their big guys down the board? Jut seems to easy to game plan around as big of a piece as it is, and the fact that you have 2 of your bigger pieces strapped to it.
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:22:53 PM

I would like to thank everyone that came out this year!! I had a great time and I hope you did too!!!!!
theultrastar
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:26:47 PM

So I caught a ride with Spry, who agreed to swing through TN on his way to the Ohio Regional. We took off on Friday around 4pm when I got off work. We talked a lot of minis on the way up to Kokomo where we crashed with Bryan. We rolled in around midnight due to stopping at some Mexican joint along the way to grab some grub. At Bryan's house, we got everything together for the tournament. ATM showed up a little later on that night. Spry was the first one to bed, while Bryan, ATM, and myself stayed up to around 4 in the morning. Finally we decided to get a little sleep.

The morning came early, as did Mike Giles. With our crew complete we loaded up in ATM's vehicle and took off for Defiance, Ohio. The way I remember the trip there was a lot of cornfields and stop signs. The GPS successfully guided us to Defiance, but then led us to a dentistry. So we decided to go grab breakfast at Burger King, and get a hold of Caedus to try and find out where the store was at. We got our food to go, and drove from one side of Defiance to the other, but we were determined, and our patience finally paid off as we collectively spotted the game store. Bryan skillfully guided the vehicle into a parking spot, and we all grabbed the squads and maps and ventured inside.

There was a tremendous turnout, of the best talent in North America. Maybe the World. After taking a moment to soak it all in, we paid our entrance fee, then filled out our squad registration sheet. First round pairings went up, soon after we turned in our forms. I got paired with ATM in the first round, and he was running Daala. I was running Thrawn Swap with Bane and Arica. ATM had 20 acts, I had 21. We played on ATM's map (Outlaw City) The game was a chess match, with each of us getting a feel for the other. I was able to get the Repulsor Sled after ATM forgot Arica had force points, and I was able to jump out, get LoS on his sled and blast it off the map. I had the lead in points for most of the match. Heading into the final round, I had a 6pt lead, and knew that as long as I got gambit, I would win. ATM shot the only 2 things in my squad that he could and got the 6 pts. After that all I had to do was fly Boba to Gambit, and win. OR kill his Elite Scout, and win. Instead, I shot his 2 adjacent Raxus Prime soldiers, thinking I was still ahead on gambit. I wasn't factoring in ATM getting gambit that round, so we ended in a dead tie, with ATM having the only piece on gambit, so ATM won.

It was a tough, bitter pill to swallow, but I knew as long as I could pile up some 3pt wins, I would still make playoffs. So it was on to rd 2. Next up I played Laura. She was running a Talon Karrde, Sep's with Independent Outfit squad. I easily out acted, I'm wanting to say she had 9 acts. We played on Imperial Plaza. Laura brought the thunder fast. Talon led the charge, aggressively leading his troops down the plaza. After everyone had been activated, I was able to roll an Amanin Scout down, swap in Arica, move 6 more and blast almost the entire squad with Blaster Barrage. I lost the following init due to Never Tell Me The Odds, and Laura quickly made Arica pay for that barrage. I took a moment to decide if sacing Arica to barrage the entire squad was a good idea, quickly decided it was, and then moved on. Thanks to the barrage, I was able to use Boba, and take out Talon, and I think the piece with Never Tell Me The Odds. After that it was only a matter of time. I cleaned up the rest. After the game I chatted with Laura, she told me that she had faced a Thrawn swap squad with similar results in the previous game. That sucks getting paired against Thrawn Swap in back to back games. 3pt win.

Moving on to Rd 3, I played against jak who was running an Old Republic squad with the Barge, 5 Rookies, a couple Army of Light Lords, Farfalla, and I forget what else. I don't have the best track record against Bastila while running Imps, so I was not excited to see this pairing. We played on Imperial Plaza I believe. Which was fine, since I had just played on it. Jak wasted no time loading up his Rookies, and a Army of Light Lord and cruising towards my squad. I got to take some shots at the boat at the end of the round and put some dmg on it, but I was not able to drop it thanks to Damage Reduction. Top of the next round Jak turns on Bastila. I know the importance of keeping my crew inside the Pellaeon bubble during her Meditation, and that's what I did. Jak was able to take down Arica fairly easy but then I trapped him with Pellaeon, and virtually negated Bastila completely. Then I did a little David Weeks magic, and I found a way to triangulate an attack pattern with my Rodians and Uggies, to drop the Rookies. I was able to take down a good chunk of his squad. Meanwhile jak ran another detachment of his squad around the backside of the map, so after dealing with his first group of guys, I turned my attention to his new soldiers. I used another classic Weeks move and threw a bunch of fodder in the doorway, and then trapped his guys in Ysilimiri (or however you spell it). I was able to hang back and blast everything with Boba and clean up. 3pt win.

Rd 4. I play Mike Giles who has done well during the day. He is running a Talon Karrde squad. Giles will have to tell you what he ran in his squad. I don't remember who was in it, I just remember the sounds they made when Boba Fett shot them down. I jest. Anyway, we played on Outlaw City. I didn't play on my map all day. Opening round, Giles opened up some doors, and was able to take his Boba, and shoot some of my stuff. I forget what he took down off the top of my head. I responded by taking out almost all of his door control. I did eventually get all of his door control in the following round. From there I was able to make life miserable using Lobot to lock key doors. I believe Giles got Arica, and he did chew through a bunch of the fodder in my squad. I was able to take out most of his squad by the time the last round finished, but not enough for 200 Victory Points. 2pt win.

So while the Judge tallied the last round results, I chatted with some of the gamers, and found out that it was between me and Jim for the coveted #4 Seed. I won the tie breaker, and went to the playoffs, and got ATM in the first round. We played on ATM's map, Outlaw City. After playing on it a few times that day, I had an idea of what side was stronger, so I took the opposite side from the first game. In the first round, it's mainly positioning. I'm able to run my Amanin deep into Daala territory, swap in Arica, run up, get position, and Blaster Barrage to kick off the 2nd round. I drop the Repulsor Sled, and 2 Raxus dudes, then drop back 6 squares. ATM is able to get a shot on her, and puts 40 on I believe. I then swap her out. It's a close game from there on, with both of us taking what the other one gives. I was able to take shots at his Elite Scouts a couple of times with Boba, I think ATM made like 5 out of 6 Evade rolls that game. Something crazy like that. Later on in the map, ATM takes out Arica. I'm able to base his Elite Scout, and shoot it with Boba (without Opportunist) and I miss 2 out of the 3 attacks. So Boba eats a lot of Dmg. I retreat while shooting stuff, trying to keep Boba around a bit longer. I keep it close until the final round when the numbers game overwhelmed me finally and ATM got Boba.

So that did it for me. I watched the Championship game on the sidelines. After the game, we loaded up, said our goodbyes, and headed to the nearest Japanese Steakhouse. I ate like a king, and talked some Game of Thrones with the guys. All and all it was a good tournament. It was good to be rolling a D20 again, instead of playing on Vassal. We crashed at Bryans again that night, and woke up the next day to the smell of Bacon. Bryan fixed an awesome breakfast. I can't say enough good things about his incredible hospitality. Thanks to everyone who made the regional happen. Thanks to the Indy crew for being so awesome. Thanks to Spry for swinging through and picking me up. And Happy Birthday to Tim Ballard, who I had not seen in a long time! Shout out to Jason, Laura, Jim, good to see all of you again. Good to finally meet Trevor (TINT). Jak you are a blast to play against, hope to do it again sometime! Lou always good to see you! Guys and gals it was fun, looking forward to playing you all again down the road!
juice man
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:50:08 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Can someone explain this Barada Skiff? I just don't see its effectiveness yet I see it in a lot of squads? Do people just use it as a sack piece to get their big guys down the board? Jut seems to easy to game plan around as big of a piece as it is, and the fact that you have 2 of your bigger pieces strapped to it.
The new skiff can load up six. It moves 16 and if it doesn't go down, you can move 8 and unload. Lou just missed killing it in our game - fully loaded. It's no magic bullet and like everything else in this game it depends on map and matchup.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:36:35 PM

I echo the thoughts of others on here in thanking Caedus for setting this up and running a great regional, and his venue Card and Board. A lot of happy moments for me this weekend:

Seeing everyone and having some good conversations with Jason, Lou, Ultrastar, ATMSalad and Lily Wan in particular.

Meeting Naarkon...a fine young man.

Swapping Grampa stories with Jak, and setting a regional record of the most grampas to play in a regional at 2 with him.

Yet another great road trip with one of the finest people I've met in my entire life, Thereisnotry, and delving into some great theological discussions with him.

Going 3-1 and finishing 5th despite only playing 2 games total in the last year.

Rolling dice with the Fist of Glory.

Finally seeing my skiff played. Thanks to DrakDracul for the polish on the design among others, and to Lou and DeathsBaine for bouncing ideas off of beforehand.

Thanks to this fine community for continuing to breath life into this game. Now get off my lawn.