Tournament fee $15

Prizes
Custom Made Star Wars Wooden Cask
Star Wars Prints
GenCon Pass
Gizmotronx
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:53:02 AM
Groups: Member

Hi, is this a fairly serious event? I have never played in any events, just with friends, but would like to give it a shot. How many people have participated in the past?
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 10:02:35 AM

It is a really great time. I started back with minis and tried my luck at this regional. Super fun time, even if I didn't do well. You have to start somewhere. You should come out, definitely!
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 10:03:45 AM

Gizmotronx wrote:
Hi, is this a fairly serious event? I have never played in any events, just with friends, but would like to give it a shot. How many people have participated in the past?

You should have your friends come out too.
gholli69
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:26:57 AM

Gizmo, while it is a competitive tournament, we all strive to make it fun for anyone who wants to come and play. The more people we can get and keep interested in this game the better and I hope you will decide to give it a shot.
gholli69
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:31:42 AM

Also to answer your question about how many have participated in the past, there were a few years about 5-6 years ago where there were as many as 20 participants in the Indiana regional. However, the last several years the attendance has been more around the 8-12 people range but like I said previously we always welcome new players and hope to see you there.
Gizmotronx
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:56:56 AM

Thanks guys. I will try to make it. Got two little kids at home, but maybe I can get a group together and make it a road trip. Sounds like a great time!
Gizmotronx
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 2:37:01 PM

Another question... do you use v sets? Just got introduced to them, and not comfortable there yet
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 5:39:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Gizmotronx wrote:
Another question... do you use v sets? Just got introduced to them, and not comfortable there yet

Yes, Vsets are used at the tournaments. You can get a pretty good feel for what sorts of squads to expect by looking at the squads that are being used in the Vassal tournament (2nd post in this link):
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=20470

I'd recommend getting feedback on your squad before going. There are some basic guidelines for tournament squads versus casual squads, and of course you can ignore them but then you may end up losing without even having fun. (Not sure how long you've been reading along here, so maybe you already know all about it if you have been following comments on people's squads for a while.) If you want to keep your squad a surprise but still want feedback, I won't be attending so I'd be happy to provide feedback through bloomail.
gholli69
Posted: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:08:52 AM

I will personally vouch for Flying Arrow as a good squad mechanic if you want to use him as a sounding board for ideas since he won't be attending. He is a super nice guy and knows how to put together a squad that will be competitive so if you have ideas of things you would like to play and would be fun for you, then hit him up on bloomail and I'm sure he can help you tweak almost any idea you have so that it's usable for our tourney.
Gizmotronx
Posted: Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:08:51 PM

I'm not worried about secrecy. This is an example of a squad I wold build http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/173693/livin-on-the-edge
I will take a look at the v-sets, but tbh I like the physical pieces and cards. I know I probably won't be competitive, but I don't expect to be anyway since I don't know the common meta or the full tournament rules
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:22:06 PM

Gizmotronx wrote:
I'm not worried about secrecy. This is an example of a squad I wold build http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/173693/livin-on-the-edge
I will take a look at the v-sets, but tbh I like the physical pieces and cards. I know I probably won't be competitive, but I don't expect to be anyway since I don't know the common meta or the full tournament rules

You still have physical cards and pieces with the Vsets. You can print from the PDF, but for many sets you can still get the professionally printed cards. You just use existing miniatures but have a new stat card. But you can also have fun playing with WotC pieces. I'll take a look at the squad you linked.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:16:18 PM

Comments left on that squad and also on Mob Rule.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:54:38 PM

Gizmotronx wrote:

1. Do you play with gambit?
2. Do you play where the person who goes first goes with only 1 (this was a change during WOTC era but never made it to the rule book)?

I can't think of any other tournament rules that would be different from how you would play at home. Now I understand you might not know the answer to some specific rules questions, but specific questions are different than the tournament rules.

Also, since I see you posting some squads, and not having a ton of pieces in your collection, if there were pieces that you would want to use for the tournament that you didn't own, I am certain that if you let someone know in advance, that you could easily borrow them for the day of the tourney. I know I would lend you anything you needed and am certain that Les or Bryan or Mike or any of the others in attendance would lend you whatever it was that you needed.

I hope to see you out at the regional, and if there is any other questions you have about it, please post.
gholli69
Posted: Friday, April 7, 2017 3:30:49 AM

Additionally, if you are interested in getting some of the professionally printed vset cards then you might send urbanjedi a bloomail as I think he used to have some extra copies of some of the earlier sets. Don't know if there would be a small price or not but I'm sure if he still has extras you may be able to work something out if you are interested, and if you don't have the corresponding recommended mini for a certain piece you were wanting to use, you can also substitute other pieces that you do have as long as you and your opponent can easily tell who is who. I know I personally didn't even start playing the game until it was out of print\discontinued for about a year and the first cards I ever got were vset cards from set 2 I think and just slowly started building my Collection, but the vsets really do offer a lot more variety in squad building options.
leshippy
Posted: Saturday, April 8, 2017 7:43:42 AM

Giz- we have been been doing this regional for the past 5 years or so. Right after WOTC dropped the game we topped out with about 24 people in the tournament. As people have stopped this game for other games tournament attendance has also dropped. Last year it was held at Purdue and we had 8 to 12 people. Overall the crew that shows up are cool folks but they are playing for keeps, so to speak. I haven't played since the last regional and I plan on playing. So, there will be at least one person that is just sort of winging it.

This tournament has traditionally had really good prize support over the years. You never know what folks are going to bring to throw into the pot. Not that you have to bring anything.
jak
Posted: Sunday, April 9, 2017 8:15:21 AM

@ Gizmo- if you are not very familiar with the Vsets, I'd recommend plenty of exposure to them
before entering in a real tourny.
I'd say 80-90 % of the characters you'll see will be from the Vsets.
The people still playing the game are very good.
Maybe try a practice tourny with local friends, using official rules
Master the squad you're using, know it inside out.
Practice against as many factions, and players as you can.
It takes alot of prep and/or years of experience to do well in a tournament.

good-luckCool
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 7:17:01 AM

If your goal is to have fun, play minis, meet new people, improve in the game, learn about new pieces and squadtypes, and/or make connections in the community - you should absolutely come.

If winning is your only concern then maybe not.

Jak - shame on you for discouraging a new (to vsets) player

It will absolutely be a welcoming environment.
jak
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 7:51:09 AM

just trying to share a dose of reality.
I don't see how I "discouraged"
anyone.
Without Vset experience Gizmo is 7 years behind in the game.
just being honest
but that's doesn't seem to be appreciated, sometimes.:(
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 8:36:51 AM

jak wrote:
just trying to share a dose of reality.
I don't see how I "discouraged"
anyone.
Without Vset experience Gizmo is 7 years behind in the game.
just being honest
but that's doesn't seem to be appreciated, sometimes.:(

I think people prefer their "alternate facts" nowadays lol. ThumbsUp