RegisterDonateLogin

Jabba has no time for smugglers who drop their Bloo Milk at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Indiana Regional Options
jak
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 5:47:13 AM
Groups: Member

gholli69 wrote:

Hey, if the shoe fits you can stick it in said hole, it's a shame we have people discouraging people from playing at all!

re-read the post. I never discouraged anyone from playing.
amazing! I'm getting shit for being honest and telling Giz what to expect.
you guys talk about "our great community"
but that only lasts as long as we all drink the same Kool-aid
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:46:33 AM

Maybe you didn't outright say don't play, but it sure seemed at least IMO like you weren't encouraging him to come out and play either. I understand that someone coming back after a long payoff or just getting into the game could be easily frustrated by coming to a competitive tourney atmosphere like a regional. Maybe I misunderstood the intent of your post and if I offend you with the grumpy old man comment then I apologise, It just seemed to me like someone who was showing interest in joining the community was potentially turned away from the idea by comments you made, but maybe that had nothing to do with it.
Lou
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 12:50:59 AM

I did not know my squad until I opened the box Brian gave me to play I also did not know my map.
jak
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 12:14:01 PM

gholli69 wrote:
Maybe you didn't outright say don't play, but it sure seemed at least IMO like you weren't encouraging him to come out and play either. I understand that someone coming back after a long payoff or just getting into the game could be easily frustrated by coming to a competitive tourney atmosphere like a regional. Maybe I misunderstood the intent of your post and if I offend you with the grumpy old man comment then I apologise, It just seemed to me like someone who was showing interest in joining the community was potentially turned away from the idea by comments you made, but maybe that had nothing to do with it.

apology accepted
we're coolBigGrin
jak
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 12:17:25 PM

could we get some whole squads listed, please?

maybe a 'lil play reports

did anyone play a squad with My Little Pony proxies, like the last I was there?Wink
atmsalad
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 2:00:46 PM

Thank you Les for hosting this years regional, Merlins Beard was a great venue! It was so relaxed, provided great food and the owner was really welcoming and personable! Regarding earlier posts about wether or not new players should come or old players should give a come back a go. Do it!!!! Starwars minis is hands down one of the best gaming communities i have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. We have our disagreements and difference of opinions, but in the end this bunch forms one of the best friends groups i have.

With that being said we are still competitive, but no one plays the game in order to conquer the world through star wars minis, lol. Even at regionals we all try to be helpful and inviting to new players and not be discouraging. When you first come back you are going to have some rough games and it may take some time to become acclimated to the new pieces and some rule changes. Trust me when i say it is so worth it!!

My first regional back went well... for my first two games, lol. Then I was promptly humble by the players and squads at the top half of the table. The ones i did not counter i mean. Such is the game though, and its the same way with most games i have been apart of. However, I learned a lot and still had a great time playing and made some new friends! Even won most creative squad that tournament... if only out of pity!!! lmao. If you have the opportunity to get back into the game, do it!! We would love to have you and are more than happy to help new players out in any way possible. Whether its v-set cards, new rules or squad building, we love to help players join the community and spread the game we all love.

Regional Squad to follow.
Gizmotronx
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:39:31 AM

atmsalad wrote:
Regarding earlier posts about wether or not new players should come or old players should give a come back a go. Do it!!!! Starwars minis is hands down one of the best gaming communities i have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. We have our disagreements and difference of opinions, but in the end this bunch forms one of the best friends groups i have...When you first come back you are going to have some rough games and it may take some time to become acclimated to the new pieces and some rule changes

Thanks for the encouragement and hospitality guys. I am honestly thrilled there is still a strong community for this game out there. Unfortunately all of what I have heard only reinforces the idea that I will never be able to get into the larger scene. In the time it would take me to get familiar with the vsets, new sets would come out and it would never get caught up. I would be lucky to attend one event a year, and it sounds like they go pretty slow I would likely only play one or two matches. If there were some more, smaller, casual events then maybe. But the game has already become at least twice as complicated, and will only continue to get more so as vsets seem to be flying out the door. I'll just have to keep having fun with m group of 6 playing for laughs and bragging rights.
Much love guys. Good luck at GenConThumpUp
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:34:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Vsets are released twice per year. 36 pieces per set. Much (much) slower rate than pretty much any similar game. But might be more than you want to keep up with. The bigger issue is the 1000+ pieces that are already out there.

If you go to a tournament, you would get at least 3 matches, and usually 4-5.

It would be cool to see you at a tournament some time, but have fun in whichever format you're playing!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:21:02 AM

There is also Vassal. Play others online to get some games in!
Lou
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:39:14 PM

Gizmo I wish you were there I had some vsets for you if you wanted them.
Gizmotronx
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 8:59:24 AM

I'm going to print some and try for next time. Thanks
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 11:30:40 AM

Gizmotronx wrote:

Cool! I hope to see you next year.

Despite what you were told... no amount of playing with yourself will ever prepare you for a Regional.
The ONLY way to become familiar with and prepare for real tourneys is to participate in them.
Regardless of winning or losing, it's an opportunity to learn and better yourself as a player, and enjoy the company of fellow Star Wars Mini enthusiasts. That's my advise anyways.

Caedus
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 11:34:56 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Gizmotronx wrote:

Cool! I hope to see you next year.

Despite what you were told... no amount of playing with yourself will ever prepare you for a Regional.
The ONLY way to become familiar with and prepare for real tourneys is to participate in them.
Regardless of winning or losing, it's an opportunity to learn and better yourself as a player, and enjoy the company of fellow Star Wars Mini enthusiasts. That's my advise anyways.

He He HeTongue
Lou
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 1:43:39 AM

Gizmo If you could make the k-town challenge and meet the guys it would be a great experience and I think you would try to attend more events afterwards.
juice man
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 6:04:50 AM

Lou wrote:
Gizmo If you could make the k-town challenge and meet the guys it would be a great experience and I think you would try to attend more events afterwards.
Best advice ever!
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 8:57:29 AM

Oops. Thought I had done a play report already

So here goes.
I came with old school Nom Bombs with a couple of new toys

Nom
De'Gara
Quorreal
3x Peace Brigade Soldiers
Yammosk
PV Scout
Zonoma Sekot Scout
5x YV Worker

with 2 reinforcement guys, I could retool on the fly adding spit poison if needed or more firepower or whatever.

Rd 1 Against Les and his double lancer
I made a huge setup error in thinking now was safe, and sorta accidently kept him just well enough protected that Les couldn't capitalize. Les conceded after I killed his first lancer with him getting nothing for it. Not sure if Les had even a remote chance of winning as the matchup is very, very bad for him.

Rd 2 against Etienne and Daala
I won map, rolled reserves in rd 1 and he made a huge placement error, letting me snipe his sled without getting anything in exchange. He also used Needa to re-roll and missed, killing Needa. In the end I won by less than 10 pts and I knew if I had to play him again, I was in deep trouble.

Rd 3 against Greg and VoL
Greg tried to get Vader back to the back, and I spit poison as much as possible, getting him down to 30, but then realized I could surround him with some bombs, which would effectively seal it up. He killed the yammosk with Vader dying in the process, and it was all down hill from there. Emperor had about a billion force left when he died, but in the end it didn't matter.

Rd 4 against Mike and his Obikin squad.
Mike failed at least 6 straight spit poison 7s with mace, and 2 straight thud bug saves, so that Mace didn't really do anything in the game. Obi and Ani went down and killed the Yammosk and Yomin, while my Nom ran the total other direction (ending up in his starting area). The peace brigade goons finally got the fatal damage through on Obi and I don't think Mike took a single point of bomb damage this game (spit poison before he got to yomin and then the Peace Brigade guys)

Semis vs Lou
Lou lost this game because the squad he had been built didn't contain an off switch for the MTB. Lou did everything he needed to, but couldn't combat 20 pts of new guys every round. (it was Tsotsou, Workers, Yomin, then 4 straight Peace Brigade Goons over the 7 rds). Without all those guys, I lose this game in quick fashion.

Finals rematch vs etienne.
Same game as before except I lose map, he hides his stuff better, and needa doesn't blow himself up on a missed re-roll. I still roll a 1 for the first init, but it isn't nearly enough as I easily fall prey to his stouter than most Daala squad.

Gizmotronx
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 9:03:19 AM

MTB?
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 9:09:10 AM

Gizmotronx wrote:
MTB?

Munn Tactics Broker.

He made my init a 1 every round which triggered DeGaras reserves.