RegisterDonateLogin

Handy Tip: To prevent curdling, store on Hoth.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

ABM Renovation Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:28:55 PM
Groups: Member

There's been recent talk about Bastila's Advanced Battle Meditation. There's a lot to be said for and against - it dominates the faction and is likely a paint to design around, but also keeps some obnoxious commanders in line.

What are your ideas to re-do ABM? Throw 'em out here. Note also that part of the question is which part of ABM is more problematic: CEs or damage boost?

For reference, Bastila Shan has Force 3, Renewal 1. She can be Light Tutored by Master Thon to start with Force 4. Here is ABM's definition:

Quote:
Force 3, replaces turn: Until the start of this character's next turn, this character gains the following Force ability: Allies get +10 Damage and enemy commander effects are suppressed. (This damage bonus applies only to characters that have a Damage value greater than 0.)

Making it last only until the end of the round could be good.

Maybe swapping +10 Damage for +4 Atk/+4 Def? It would still be a nice boost, but doesn't have nearly as much shock value.

Maybe, instead of suppressing Commander Effects, she could choose one CE that enemies could no longer benefit from. Wording it this way weakens it (only one enemy CE suppressed) but strengthens it against Ysalamiri - now it is the recipients, not the commanders, who are affected, so you must be in the Ysalamiri Bubble to receive CEs instead of give them.

Maybe just drop one effect entirely? Make it just CE suppression or Damage boost?

Maybe swap the damage boost for +4 to saves? That presents its own problems (Jaq Rand Flapper) but could be interesting.

Maybe swap the CE suppression for just suppression more than 6 squares away from enemy commanders (like Aves, Communications Officer)? I would almost refrain from saying "or enemies with Relay Orders" - we just recently got rid of Mouse Droid hordes, we don't need them coming back.

What ideas do y'all have?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:39:22 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Ban her or leave her unchanged.
Smile
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:50:59 PM

I just really like Bastila, and I think the only problem with her is that too many strong tournament squads can ignore her (Ysalamari, Force Immunity), so she doesn't get much play any more.

You have a 33 point piece out the back meditating, so I think the damage boost is essential - OR squads still have to furnish other essential tech like door control on top of that.

I like the play style of a handful of good uniques, an OR senator, and Bastila - it's a fun squad base. I just can't bring it to a tournament anymore as it has too many bad matchups.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:10:27 PM

Honestly even just lasting until the end of the round would be good enough, you lose a entire round essentially that you would have had before because she has to go first, and it still allows CE-dependent teams to get one quick shot off before she turns on if they win initiative.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:14:57 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Maybe, instead of suppressing Commander Effects, she could choose one CE that enemies could no longer benefit from. Wording it this way weakens it (only one enemy CE suppressed) but strengthens it against Ysalamiri - now it is the recipients, not the commanders, who are affected, so you must be in the Ysalamiri Bubble to receive CEs instead of give them.

I've always understood that both the commander and the recipient have to be in the Ysalamari bubble to receive commander effects while ABM is on.

If anything, I'd like to see an alternate Bastila made that's perhaps a bit weaker overall, but which affects force immunity etc (so her CE mechanism isn't a force ability).
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:19:35 PM

I think Bastila is perfectly fine and doesn't really need any changes.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:33:22 PM

I dont think she needs changed at all tbh.

i have been thinking about it alot.

I do not know if she needs changed.

She is needed to stop Booming Voice, she is needed to help stop Rebels. (Rebels and Imperials leading the pack for since like the beginning of time).

I think we just need designers to put forth a TON of energy and time into more mid costed Jedi in OR that are awesome.

The idea of meditation and a handful of force users and some tech is super fun.

OR can be super fun and the idea that it does so without needing super super powerful tech. (evade, mobile, cloaked OR tow cable, GMA, and swap, OR swap, master tact, and opportunist)
there good tech is fun tech, an extra attack, that is awesome and can't be abused that much due to shooters being held in check.

So, I think that if we do change her it would make it a ton easier to design in OR, but I think it can be done without changing her.
I mean 33 points is a lot.
For 34 points in Rebels you can have
See-Threepio 12
Reeikan 14
and Juno is 12

OR See-Threepio, Artoo-Detoo, and an ugnaught is 33 which takes care of door control, an attack boost, possible cloaked, distraction with diplomat.

OR
Reeikan and Madine (evade, mobile, and disruptive and commandos get cunning +20) with an ug

OR
Reeikan, Dodonna, Juno
Reeikan, Dodonna, See-Threepio

I guess the two biggest questions I am working through my head are

1) does it hurt melee?

I think it hurts Sith melee and Republic melee

2) will it help defeat Thrawn, Dodonaa, and rebels?

I think that it can if it is done right.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:48:59 PM

jen'ari wrote:

1) does it hurt melee?

I think Bastila is tougher for low activation squads, rather than the melee disctinction. Bastila squads often have around 12 activations, so if you have a similar amount you're not going to get CEs much, while if you have more, you'll have a space every second round where you will be able to use your CEs.

Also, Juno is 8 points.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:03:18 PM

TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

1) does it hurt melee?

I think Bastila is tougher for low activation squads, rather than the melee disctinction. Bastila squads often have around 12 activations, so if you have a similar amount you're not going to get CEs much, while if you have more, you'll have a space every second round where you will be able to use your CEs.

Also, Juno is 8 points.

Oops, Deena Shan is the one....

I think your distinction is true.

However, the question that has to be asked imo is if she hurts melee. If she hurts Melee than a change is more warranted imo.

If melee is not hurt that much, than I think she should be fine.

The second question, will she help defeat Thrawn with Ozzel, Dodonna in NR, and Rebels in general?

If she hurts melee a little but helps beat Thrawn and Dodonna than she is still worth imo.

Booming Voice is still so powerful and needs a soft counter (preferably in Sith or Separatists)
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:26:21 PM

I would say:
- she helps melee because Old Republic squads are often melee
- ABM is more equal opportunity to melee than disruptive - disruptive often hurts melee more than shooters, since it's within 6, while ABM hurts everyone.
jak
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:49:39 AM

Angry holy f-ing cow!!!Cursing
7 .5 years later, there's talk of changing Bastila?
she doesn't show up to often, I'm usually the only one that plays her.

Let her be!
gholli69
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:36:50 AM

Just my two cents, but I don't think change is warranted at this time and like Jak said, it's going on 7.5 years now and I don't think there's a preponderance of evidence that says she's a big problem. I don't really mind Corellian Comedians idea of having to chose 1 enemy CE to shut down. I think that is a very reasonable change if one is going to be made, as it doesn't totally hose a CE dependant opponent but is still very good, but this late in the game I'm more inclined to just leave her alone.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:19:15 AM

jak wrote:

Let her be!
My feeling about Blast Bugs! (granted, way more people play BBs but I still feel that way)Blink
jak
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:30:52 AM

let's just focus on preventing future Vsets turds.
why errata somebody's favorite character.
more people will leave.
it has happened before
we lost a top player because of knee-jerk errataThumbDown
is that the goal?
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:32:24 AM

jak wrote:

Let her be!

ABM was terrible design 7.5 years ago too, infact a lot of vset pieces that are specifically designed so that they show up in the competitive setting are just terrible, simply because the focus is more on competing than on FUN and as a game FUN should take precedence, but it doesn't. Not that my opinion even matters because I do not play competitively simply because it's just not FUN.

Since playing with/against her isn't an issue for me now she's just annoying due to having to add Disciplined Leader to any Custom commander figure where the CE is a big part of their design.

Full disclaimer: I don't care if I win or lose, there are just too many NPEs you are likely to face to make the required drive not worth it to me.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:43:35 AM

Clearly there is a variety of opinions on Bastila.

Even though I have my personal opinions, in general I don't think something should be changed unless -

A. There is an overwhelming majority (near consensus) that want the change
B. It negatively impacts the competitive game (i.e. "Broken")

As of now the only 2 that fit that bill are Daala and Blast Bugs, with an outside shot for see-threepio

CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:45:20 AM

Guys, we're all friends here, let's keep this civil - Bastila was getting picked on in another thread, and few were defending her there, so I just wanted to see what ideas anyone had for changing her. That is all.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:56:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I am not in favor of any additional changes to Daala. We've already had errata and printed new cards for her.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:25:14 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I am not in favor of any additional changes to Daala. We've already had errata and printed new cards for her.

That makes 1
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:29:21 AM

Hmmm. Reading through this has made me think. I have no problem playing Bastilla, and actually, I like to test most squads I use against her. I think she was perfect to get rid of ALL CE heavy squads. (Rebel Smug Commandos/Thrawn Swap) The only issue I have with her, is how it limits design in the OR. Its hard to create a piece, because you have to remember that for 33 points, you can negate your opponents CE, and give everyone in your squad +10 damage.

I literally only vote to change her for designing purposes. Other than that, I don't think she is bad for "gaming"

She is a very tough subject.

Do you create another Bastilla? cheaper that serves another tech option? Do you create a brand new ability only for OR that make them not get the bonus? Do you ban her, and remake her? Do we raise her cost? Making her less playable? Change the timing of the ability? So many options.

I agree with Timmer, that change only needs to happen if it is overwhelmingly in favor. I don't know how my vote is counted, but I vote to change her from a design perspective, not a gaming perspective, and if thats not a reason to change, then I would vote no change.