RegisterDonateLogin

Still effective inside Thrawn's Force bubble.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What If? Options
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:45:25 AM
Groups: Member

ive never played a DCI game in my years of minis, and its because of the weird rules and banning of figs.
if i wanna play with GOWK and Fett together, then i should.
not my fault they made GOWK 55 pts....
defender390
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:50:54 AM

Kenobi and Fett are 117 points, that is not a dynamic duo. Fett is only banned in dynamic duos. Banning was a recent development in Star Wars Miniatures. I do not understand how you can say you have avoided DCI for years because of a ban you knew nothing of years ago. As far as weird rules, I will assume you are talking about gambit. Play against a lockout squad and see if you like it.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:57:49 AM

well i didnt mean to hurt your feelings on the subject, and i am aware of the Dynamic duo ban, and thats what i meant. i dont know anything about lockout squads.
its not that ive actually "avoided" playing DCI, no one here in nashville plays DCI, because no one plays SW minis. just my small group of friends.
i went to Gencon last year, and was intriqued by the different circumstances on gameplay, but ive been playing it as i have for years, and kinda feel "you cant teach this old dog any new tricks."
defender390
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:04:48 AM

Sorry, I snapped. My bad. I just get tired of people talking about the ban and took you to be the same as the others. A lockout squad is when a player kills enough of your squad to get the points they need to win, then they lock themselves in a room with override to keep you from winning. They made gambit to force player to go to the middle of the map to collect points. I certainly understand the small group of friends part, and I imagine GenCon was rather confusing when you first saw the new rules. I do not play DCI, either. But I do play with some people that try dirty tricks sometimes, so we play DCI rules unless we make a gentlemen's agreement to play fair.
markedman247
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:13:31 AM

Please don't turn this into another GOWK thread. It's been debated ad naseum and never leads to a productive discussion. If G--- has to be discussed, then take it to one of the numerous posts here, SWMGamers, or even WotC.

Remember: Game Mechanics are the realm of WotC. DCI only deals with the competitive tournament environment and the rules there in. These should be dealt with seperately in discussions.

Just trying to keep things on target.

But, as my offering to the original discussion:

Melee (SA) vs melee (mechanic).

I would have loved to see this get defined.

Melee SA: A character with a printed "Melee" SA can only attack enemies that are adjacent.

melee: Any attacks against adjacent enemies are treated as having the "Melee" special ability against said enemies and all defensive purposes therein.

Just a little peeve of mine since the beginning but that's because I was an RPG'er (not SW) first. Also bugs me that Lightsaber + 10 is dealt with differently as just a basic melee attack with a lightsaber.

defender390
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:31:53 AM

How about a Rebel affinity for Mon Mothma.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:58:05 AM

defender390 wrote:
Sorry, I snapped. My bad. I just get tired of people talking about the ban and took you to be the same as the others. A lockout squad is when a player kills enough of your squad to get the points they need to win, then they lock themselves in a room with override to keep you from winning. They made gambit to force player to go to the middle of the map to collect points. I certainly understand the small group of friends part, and I imagine GenCon was rather confusing when you first saw the new rules. I do not play DCI, either. But I do play with some people that try dirty tricks sometimes, so we play DCI rules unless we make a gentlemen's agreement to play fair.

ahhhh... i get it now.
ive always made an override rule, because ive had people do that 2 me alot.
i usually make it a max of 5 overrides in a game.
as for the melee peeve, ill agree with marked on that.
i have many peeves about the game, and slowly and surely, they are fixing them.
id like to see something with a double bladed lightsaber throw, some kinda nasty attack modifier. if anyone here has played SW battle front 2, and youve played with maul, you might know what im talking about. its kinda like a strafing lightsaber throw that just hits every enemy in its path...
joelker41
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:05:26 AM

Just wanted to update my running list:

1) General Dodonna never existing.
2) General Rieekan needs to cost at least 20
3) Luke's Snowspeeder needs to be Rigid.
4) Assaj Teth Map needs to be illegal.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:08:03 AM

joelker41 wrote:
Just wanted to update my running list:

1) General Dodonna never existing.
2) General Rieekan needs to cost at least 20
3) Luke's Snowspeeder needs to be Rigid.

is that the one with the Ratattak arena on one side?
defender390
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:23:37 AM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
ahhhh... i get it now.
ive always made an override rule, because ive had people do that 2 me alot.
i usually make it a max of 5 overrides in a game.

That is a really good house rule. I should try that out sometime.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:31:25 AM

i played with a screw head the other day who decided that my rule sucked, and decided to use Lobot, R2 and C3-PO and the reb commando with override. he spent all of those points for 15 overrides, and didnt make it past the 4th inish.Flapper

new idea for a stat.
temporary override( this ability works like FPs, where the acting character has X the amount of times where they can use override.)ThumpUp

destructive charge-( this ability works like satchel charge, except it destroys doors that are (or not) controlled by override.)

StevenO
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:17:40 AM

Count diagonal movement as 1.5 squares so that the first diagonal is 1 square and the second is two squares. I have NEVER liked how SWM "simplified" movment so that moving with the grid in two directions covers the same distance as moving diagonally.

There are others but that rule alone goes a long way towards keeping me away from any official competition.
dnemiller
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:45:57 AM

joelker41 wrote:

I fully expected to hear this one come up but I figured it would be after Gencon. I thought we would get that far.... oh well!!!!

I always said I hated that map now you know why.

defender390
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:51:15 AM

Someone needs to explain to wizards that a2+b2=c2.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:20:04 PM

no!!
it equals C4!
BOOM!Flapper
sharron
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:17:48 PM

dnemiller wrote:
joelker41 wrote:

I fully expected to hear this one come up but I figured it would be after Gencon. I thought we would get that far.... oh well!!!!

I always said I hated that map now you know why.

i dont know why... and i dont really feel like finding out what this map is like... so does anyone wanna tell me why it sucks so bad? i will probably agree with you... my only map fave is ravaged base... hahahahahaha yong homeworld.
Doogle126
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:36:51 PM

its another arena map, that should be enough to satisfy you
sharron
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:47:18 PM

haha, arena map...? i dont understand. sorry. not that quick on maps... i just like playing...
exarkunmini
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:05:01 PM

For one, it'd be nice to have characters that actually are pilots to have the pilot ability. I may be wrong, but I have not yet seen a Han Solo with pilot. Darth krayt has pilot, but yet there very few pilot light jedi, even though most of the Republic Jedi had their own personal starfighters. Don't even get me started on Baron Fel not having pilot. Then again, there's not much reason to play with pilot characters since general Reeikan came out. I mean come on, almost every character in Star Wars has piloted at one time.

Another complaint is no New Republic Chewie, R2, 3P0. It should be errata'd that any Rebellion character should automatically have affinity for New Republic.

More Force ghosts would be nice too, especially Yoda, or Sith Lord ghosts like Freedon Nadd or Exar Kun. On a side note, if they make an Anakin Force Spirit, they better make two versions, one Hayden Christensen and one of David Prowse from the original. If it's only the Hayden version, that will be one mini I will never own.

Also, Unique Jawas. Het N'kik would be easy.

From an RPG standpoint, i'd personally like to see more non humanoid Jedi figures. I think there's a Rodian Jedi and that's about it for non-uniques.

That being said, my biggest complaint is that there are almost no playable versions of Yoda. It's either massive force defense powers, and no offense, or average offense and little force powers at all. Grand Master is ok, but could have been so much better.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 6:12:35 AM

exarkunmini wrote:
For one, it'd be nice to have characters that actually are pilots to have the pilot ability. I may be wrong, but I have not yet seen a Han Solo with pilot. Darth krayt has pilot, but yet there very few pilot light jedi, even though most of the Republic Jedi had their own personal starfighters. Don't even get me started on Baron Fel not having pilot. Then again, there's not much reason to play with pilot characters since general Reeikan came out. I mean come on, almost every character in Star Wars has piloted at one time.

Another complaint is no New Republic Chewie, R2, 3P0. It should be errata'd that any Rebellion character should automatically have affinity for New Republic.

More Force ghosts would be nice too, especially Yoda, or Sith Lord ghosts like Freedon Nadd or Exar Kun. On a side note, if they make an Anakin Force Spirit, they better make two versions, one Hayden Christensen and one of David Prowse from the original. If it's only the Hayden version, that will be one mini I will never own.

Also, Unique Jawas. Het N'kik would be easy.

From an RPG standpoint, i'd personally like to see more non humanoid Jedi figures. I think there's a Rodian Jedi and that's about it for non-uniques.

That being said, my biggest complaint is that there are almost no playable versions of Yoda. It's either massive force defense powers, and no offense, or average offense and little force powers at all. Grand Master is ok, but could have been so much better.

GMY is by far the best yoda thats come out in my opinion, and even better then him on Kybuck. i dont like AoOs!!
I love the arena map, it was designed for my mandalorians with cloaked and stealth, but i can see why others hate, especially if they are running melee characters.
There are a ton of non humanoid jedi out already, BUT, they suck.
Yes, they should make a NR chewie, and they need to give him the protective ability for Anakin, (for those who dont know, Chewie died saving anakin solo from the Vong Coral Skippers.)
affinities need to be more expansive, I.E, Kol Skywalker should have given affinity to all non-unique vong characters. (cuz all the Unique one are dead,HA!)