RegisterDonateLogin

Lock the door, and hope they don't have straws.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Week 113 - New Villains of Disney (but Legends is ok for abilities! Carry on!) Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:57:45 AM
Groups: Member

This weeks challenge is to showcase one of the new villains in the Disney Era Star Wars. Non-unique troopers, criminal elements from Solo, members of the First Order or anything from Rebels or the new books/comics.

EDIT: SO AS NOT TO CIRCUMVENT RULE 1 YOU CAN TOTALLY USE ABILITIES FROM LEGENDS VERSIONS OF NEW CHARACTERS AS LONG AS THE CHARACTER THEMSELF EXISTS IN THE DISNEY ERA.

1. The character must be canon (Legends OK) and from the chosen faction when required. They can have affinity, but the character must start in the chosen faction.

2. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

3. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

4. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

5. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at lest 10 forum posts.

6. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

7. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

8. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, July 14th, 2018 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 11pm EST on Monday, July 16th, 2018.
At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of theme
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:35:13 AM

I'll begin my research tomorrow on my day off for this week. Nice choice!
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:30:04 AM

It was this or the Pike Guardsmen, but I'm still intrigued by this guy's history/species:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33199/dryden-vos

Also don't worry there are no Solo Spoilers here
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:11:12 PM

Personally, I think its too soon for a lot of these Disney guys … and don't get me started on Disney, I live less than 10 miles from it (stared at it for years, watched fireworks all the time, sick of the whole thing …)

We really don't know much about some of these guys (barely Anything about some) so I'm not sure what to say about the whole contract.

Having said that, like the fool I am ….

Unkar Plutt, Jakku Junk Boss Like many, I never liked the V-Set version, so naturally, I made my own. He was created to not be a very nice guy; he's a crook. Deal with it. BigGrin

Not convinced on Unkar so I made this one last week …

Lady Proxima, Crime Boss I've read a couple of the "Young Solo" books just out so this is my extrapolation of her ….

As usual, they're all mine, hot mess that they are …

Cheers,

surf
Oakel
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:15:40 PM

Surf, I like your Unkar a lot. I think that it does a great job at capturing his role in the films, and gives him a strong identity in the game. The Brutality CE, Dishonest, and the Imperial Snitch are awesome additions.

In regard to Proxima, I'm intimidated by the prospect of giving any non-unique Fringe stealth for 20pts, especially with what can be done from stealth with black sun. The idea of having to keep her next to walls and boosting Correllians is good, but I feel that CE does not belong on a 20pt piece.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:56:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

General_Grievous wrote:
This weeks challenge is to showcase one of the new villains in the Disney Era Star Wars.

1. The character must be canon (Legends OK)

I'm going to interpret that as loosely as possible. So, here's a Legends character who also happens to be a new villain in Disney Wars.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33202/thrawn--agent-of-the-empire
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:34:13 PM

Surf I really like your lady proxima and find it pretty accurate but my only gripes are "in a room" isn't technically a definition in the game. Having to end in cover it adjacent to a wall makes more sense. Also for rapport you need to change it to "whose name contains Corellian" as there is currently no one NAMED corellian. And did you mean it include Corellian Jedi Lords?

Also I totally gave you a window for non-uniques! You secretly like the challenge of new uniques too haha
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:51:37 PM

General_Grievous wrote:

Also I totally gave you a window for non-uniques! You secretly like the challenge of new uniques too haha

Admittedly, Proxima was only created 8 days ago and isn't as "polished" as Unkar.

Re: non-uniques; Most of the really good bad guy Are Uniques, it's just a question of do we know much about them and have they already been done to death ….

Yeah, Yeah, I said I'd shoot myself. Not in the mood; its hot, maybe some other time like if I do badly on this weekends Regionals … Scared
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:49:40 PM

Can you change the name of this Ccc to just villains? Since were not actually doing Disney, it will throw off judging for people looking at a character from a Disney perspective, but people are actually creating legends characters. I don't wanna judge s piece unfairly since it doesn't fit the title. Gtgw got the go to create a legends character, so for it to fit the title of this Ccc, I think just "Villains" would be more appropriate
Oakel
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:28:32 PM

My entry for the week is a more powerful Kylo Ren, based upon Episode 8, and playing off the interaction between Ren and Rey. I think that Ren played a pivotal role in helping Rey to develop the powers that we see later in the film, and I wanted to convey that here.

Kylo Ren, Unmasked
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:08:54 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Can you change the name of this Ccc to just villains? Since were not actually doing Disney, it will throw off judging for people looking at a character from a Disney perspective, but people are actually creating legends characters. I don't wanna judge s piece unfairly since it doesn't fit the title. Gtgw got the go to create a legends character, so for it to fit the title of this Ccc, I think just "Villains" would be more appropriate

But then we lose Gandalf haha. Technically Thrawn qualifies and despite having Legends abilities, many characters from the Disney era still have abilities in minis from their Legends stories and many are later made into new canon. And Ysalamari are definitely Canon and connected to Thrawn via a sculpture in Thrawn's office so it's not a stretch to have his Legends ability here. Plus we have had entries that don't qualify to the theme as much as we would like, look at last week for chance. And feel free to vote your opinion for whatever reasons you choose accuracy being one of them. Heck apparently I got Dryden all wrong.
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:22:44 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

But then we lose Gandalf haha. Technically Thrawn qualifies and despite having Legends abilities, many characters from the Disney era still have abilities in minis from their Legends stories and many are later made into new canon. And Ysalamari are definitely Canon and connected to Thrawn via a sculpture in Thrawn's office so it's not a stretch to have his Legends ability here. Plus we have had entries that don't qualify to the theme as much as we would like, look at last week for chance. And feel free to vote your opinion for whatever reasons you choose accuracy being one of them. Heck apparently I got Dryden all wrong.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mitth%27raw%27nuruodo

Here is the link to Thrawns Wookie page. I welcome any of you to look, and find a mention of Ysalamari in.

Just because "a statue is in his room" doesn't mean he has access to the tech, or that the tech even means anything in Disney, which, to my understanding, is what this weeks CCC is.

And this, my friends, is the complete entry to the Dinsey verse for the Ysalamiri. Its not long. So I copied and paste it to save you the time.

salamiri were four-eyed, lizard-like creatures.[1] Grand Admiral Thrawn had a sculpture of them in his office aboard the Chimaera.[2]

So. Please, explain to me how him having a 4 eyed, lizard like creature statue on his desk, equates to Force Users not being able to use the Force within 6 squares.

Whats the point of having rules and guidelines if were just gonna let people do what they want and not enforce anything?

Its as simple as dropping the ability.. Nothing more.
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:25:08 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

Gandalf is already lost... He submitted an entry that doesn't meet your requirements.. And instead of just dropping an ability to be in line with Disney.. He would rather be a Rebel.. For whatever reason, and refuse. Without Ysalamairi, I think his Thrawn is awesome for the CCC, and mroe than likely, as of now, who I would vote for. But him keeping it makes him ineligible for this week, and thats a shame, because its a great piece.. Minus the HUGE inaccuracy.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:37:22 PM

It's not an inaccuracy, because I intended it to be a representation of Legends Thrawn (as I have stated). The entry was really just a protest against canon-only CCCs (especially when our CCC rules say that both canon and legends characters are fine for any given week). I view them as pretty exclusive, since I don't like creating canon customs (I equally would not support Legends-only CCCs). Then GG said it was fine for this week. I don't understand why you are being so legalistic about the situation. It's not a very endearing habit to always complain about minor things like this. Anyway, if you still think it is necessary I'll remove Ysalamiri (it's not an essential part of Thrawn's character anyway) so we can all move on with our lives.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:52:15 PM

Frankly, if GG is ok with it, who am I to argue? I've pointed out all kinds of problems with costing, not following the rules etc and I've been ignored? Whats the big deal about this guys? Frankly I look at it and all I see is "I like my Thrawn better" from a few weeks ago. RollEyes
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:00:50 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
It's not an inaccuracy, because I intended it to be a representation of Legends Thrawn (as I have stated). The entry was really just a protest against canon-only CCCs (especially when our CCC rules say that both canon and legends characters are fine for any given week). I view them as pretty exclusive, since I don't like creating canon customs (I equally would not support Legends-only CCCs). Then GG said it was fine for this week. I don't understand why you are being so legalistic about the situation. It's not a very endearing habit to always complain about minor things like this. Surely we can let it go and all move on?

I won't argue with you about it.. Because its very simple... This weeks CCC says " Disney Villains" Your very first sentence is, " I intended this to be a Legends piece"

Those 2 sentences do not go together. But, for some reason you feel entitled to interpret the first rule the way you see fit. Does it say may be Canon/Legends... Yes... Do you think rule 1 applies to this weeks CCC? Nope. Impossible to. because this weeks CCC is a Canon character, which, unfortunately negates the Legends aspect of rule 1.

And I told you I was fine, if they just changed the name of the week to just "Villains". But when you start off your argument, with I purposely made a piece against the rules, and then to back it up you say " Well GG said its ok" Well, why even make it Disney specific? Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean the rules change for you. Do what I do when a week comes around that I don't like. Just skip it. I skipped last week, because I don't like reserves, I didn't try and make a piece without reserves, and then say " Well I don't like reserves, so I'm not doing it, but my piece should still count" That just doesn't make any sense, and sets a precedent that any week, someone can just say they don't like something, and still be qualified.

I dunno what the big deal is either. If you drop Ysalamari, your getting a vote from me. I like your piece, I think its neat, and a good representation of his skills in a different way. But that ability just does not exist right now. So it is inaccurate to this weeks CCC. regardless of the special permission you've been given.
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:03:24 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Frankly, if GG is ok with it, who am I to argue? I've pointed out all kinds of problems with costing, not following the rules etc and I've been ignored? Whats the big deal about this guys? Frankly I look at it and all I see is "I like my Thrawn better" from a few weeks ago. RollEyes

Costing is subjective. I do like your calculator, and have tried to implement it in some designs, but, as you and I know, I always aim low, because the Power Creep in this game is out of control, and sometimes, you have to to try and compete with pieces that are already out there.

I always try and follow the rules, and at times, I for sure make pieces that do not, and I either change them, or admit I was wrong on it. I don't try and get special permission to allow something.

And nope... His Thrawn trumps yours Flapper
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:08:03 PM

Agree with Gandalf, there are many things that we personally would tweak of other people's pieces but just move on Shmi. I think you suceeded in what you were going for Gandalf and thanks for sticking it out regardless of it it perfectly captures Rebels Thrawn or not. I still have to figure out what's wrong with anybody Dryden Hahaha. But yeah keep the house together here.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:10:45 PM

shmi15 wrote:
If you drop Ysalamari, your getting a vote from me. I like your piece, I think its neat, and a good representation of his skills in a different way.

This was all you needed to say. No need for a rant about how I'm a rule breaker.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:11:15 PM

Ok changed the title and rules, now can we all have some tea and carry on peacefully. We aren't sand people come on!