RegisterDonateLogin

Star Wars Miniatures has always been, at its heart, a drinking game.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Favorite Leaders? Options
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:45:45 PM
Groups: Member

*biting tongue so hard I taste blood in effort to avoid diving into political debate*

I can't believe not a single mention of Thrawn for best leader. Those that have mentioned Wedge, we are in agreement
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:34:16 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

saber1 wrote:
*biting tongue so hard I taste blood in effort to avoid diving into political debate*

I can't believe not a single mention of Thrawn for best leader. Those that have mentioned Wedge, we are in agreement

I wouldn't say Thrawn was the best leader. He had meglomaiac tendancies and he was a brillant military commander, but I don't think he's the best overall leader in SW.
saber1
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:48:52 AM

Eroschilles wrote:
I wouldn't say Thrawn was the best leader. He had meglomaiac tendancies and he was a brillant military commander, but I don't think he's the best overall leader in SW.

All I'm saying is that I'm surprised his name hadn't come up.
defender390
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:05:37 AM

When I think of a leader, I prefer to look at all sides of their leadership. Although Thrawn was a brilliant tactician and strategist, he was a megalomaniac as Eroschilles said and fought for the evil Galactic Empire. That is why my list mainly consists of Rebel and New Republic Leaders. They often fought daunting odds and yet still led their people to victory in the name of freedom. Within the factions, there are still questionable personas, such as the Bothans. Fey'Lya often did what was politically advantageous for himself rather than what was best for the people. To a lesser extent, Mon Mothma was worriesome when she made power grabs after Bail died. That probably had just as much to do with Bel Iblis as Mothma, though. But the lack of morality in Mandalorians, Sith, and Jedi causes me to avoid picking them a great leaders. They usually only do what is advantageous to themselves in the pursuit of conquest or peace. In my opinion, great leaders should stand up for what is right in addition to being effective.

Questions for New Zealanders: Why do you like John Key and dislike Helen Clark? She was Prime Minister for a long time, did that create corruption? Do you prefer the National Party or the Labour Party?
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:11:16 AM

I don't think the Empire was inherently evil after the emperor died a couple of times. Individuals like Palleon became good leaders after a while. He tried to fight the corrupt and self serving moffs and was a decent military strategist in his own right. He also led by example and was willing to put aside long standing personal vendettas (mostly by ending the war between the NR and Empire) for the greater good. And Jagged Fel isn't doing too bad of a job, yet.

But Dalaa on the other hand... If I were a jedi, I would have stabbed her in the face. A lot. If they make her into a pre-legacy mini, she should have jedi hunter just from her personal vendetta in the Jedi Academy series. Or something to reflect her seemingly harsh hatred of force-users.
defender390
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:42:25 AM

Eroschilles wrote:
I don't think the Empire was inherently evil after the emperor died a couple of times. Individuals like Palleon became good leaders after a while. He tried to fight the corrupt and self serving moffs and was a decent military strategist in his own right. He also led by example and was willing to put aside long standing personal vendettas (mostly by ending the war between the NR and Empire) for the greater good. And Jagged Fel isn't doing too bad of a job, yet.

I would like to respect Pelleon, but he still served the Empire after it was formed. While he did not agree with Palpatine or the Empire, he still served him. Other officers defected, why did he not? I think that is a weakness of character on his part. I also do not think the treaty was signed out of necessity rather than anything noble. He also willingly allied himself with Daala. The Fel dynasty turned the Empire into little more than a Benevolent Dictatorship, so I am not particularly fond of Jagged. Although it is better than the Emppire ever was before, it is still not good.

Quote:
But Dalaa on the other hand... If I were a jedi, I would have stabbed her in the face. A lot. If they make her into a pre-legacy mini, she should have jedi hunter just from her personal vendetta in the Jedi Academy series. Or something to reflect her seemingly harsh hatred of force-users.

Agreed.
judgeito
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:44:06 AM

I already mentioned Thrawn for those who missed it.
jbnimble
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:54:20 AM

Some of the comments about Imperial leaders really drive home the problem I have with the Imperial faction in Star Wars minis. Whatever one thinks about the Imperials (and I'm not a big fan of them, myself), there really are two different factions here. There are the Moffs and there is the Emperor. In the Legacy stuff (both books and the more distant future comics), it's clear that, while there is still bad blood between the Empire and the Alliance, it's just not the same thing as when a Sith is in charge. I would probably play the (post-Emperor) Imperial faction, where as I'm less inclined to play the (Emperor-driven) Imperial faction.

I don't think it practical to make yet another faction. But narratively, there are two distinct groups there, and it sometimes bugs me that they are lumped together.

defender390
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:02:25 AM

Yeah, I put the Fels and the Imperial Knights with my New Republic and Krayt's Sith with my Imperials. Where do I put Nyna?
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:32:22 AM

It doesn't matter where you put Nyna, she seems to be a bit power hungry and self-serving.

And you don't defect to the other side just because you don't agree with the leader's policies. Some stay on and serve when they know there is moral corruption in the upper ranks. Palleon believes in a stronger central government over the form of government the Rebel Alliance preferred. And many of those serving the Empire didn't know Palpatine was a Sith. Many of the other officers defected not for more noble reasons, but because they were personally effected by the Empire's harshness.
defender390
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:54:37 PM

I keep my Imperials and Rebels/New Republic in separate boxes, for now I will keep her with the Empire. If they make a Morrigan Corde, she will go with the New Republic.

Definition of defection: conscious abandonment of allegiance or duty (as to a person, cause, or doctrine)

So yes, people defect when they disagree with their leaders policies. Here are a few defectors of the Empire and their reasons:

Han Solo: Saw the mistreatment of the wookiees
Jan Dodonna: Retired on idealogical grounds, defected after assassination attempt
Crix Madine: Noticed the atrocities his Storm Commandos were committing
Mon Mothma: Objected to the Empire itself
Bail Organa: Objected to the Empire itself
Garm Bel Iblis: Objected to the Empire itself

Pellaeon faced the same circumstances as many of these people, yet just stood by. Also look at the people he allied himself with after the Emperor's death, namely Thrawn and Daala. They were both tyrants. He was blindly following the waning Empire, refusing to acknowledge its evil nature.
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:22:02 PM

defender390 wrote:
I keep my Imperials and Rebels/New Republic in separate boxes, for now I will keep her with the Empire. If they make a Morrigan Corde, she will go with the New Republic.

Definition of defection: conscious abandonment of allegiance or duty (as to a person, cause, or doctrine)

So yes, people defect when they disagree with their leaders policies. Here are a few defectors of the Empire and their reasons:

Han Solo: Saw the mistreatment of the wookiees
Jan Dodonna: Retired on idealogical grounds, defected after assassination attempt
Crix Madine: Noticed the atrocities his Storm Commandos were committing
Mon Mothma: Objected to the Empire itself
Bail Organa: Objected to the Empire itself
Garm Bel Iblis: Objected to the Empire itself

Pellaeon faced the same circumstances as many of these people, yet just stood by. Also look at the people he allied himself with after the Emperor's death, namely Thrawn and Daala. They were both tyrants. He was blindly following the waning Empire, refusing to acknowledge its evil nature.

Conscious abandonment and disagreement are two different things.

Of the above people, only one really defected from the Empire and that was Crix Madine. Han was drummed out of the service, Jan retired and then joined a rebellion, and the three politicians rebelled. The politicians saw themselves as only owing alleigance to the Republic, not any Empire. So they were not defecting.

Palleon joined up with Thrawn and Daala as they were means to an end. They were stron military commanders that could help the Empire rebuild itself, and they were not like all of the other warlords who were just trying to carve out small empires for themselves. The Empire is not evil by nature, it just had many corrupted and evil leaders. And there is such a thing as changing something from within, which he eventually managed to do.
sharron
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:44:30 PM

defender390 wrote:
When I think of a leader, I prefer to look at all sides of their leadership. Although Thrawn was a brilliant tactician and strategist, he was a megalomaniac as Eroschilles said and fought for the evil Galactic Empire. That is why my list mainly consists of Rebel and New Republic Leaders. They often fought daunting odds and yet still led their people to victory in the name of freedom. Within the factions, there are still questionable personas, such as the Bothans. Fey'Lya often did what was politically advantageous for himself rather than what was best for the people. To a lesser extent, Mon Mothma was worriesome when she made power grabs after Bail died. That probably had just as much to do with Bel Iblis as Mothma, though. But the lack of morality in Mandalorians, Sith, and Jedi causes me to avoid picking them a great leaders. They usually only do what is advantageous to themselves in the pursuit of conquest or peace. In my opinion, great leaders should stand up for what is right in addition to being effective.

Questions for New Zealanders: Why do you like John Key and dislike Helen Clark? She was Prime Minister for a long time, did that create corruption? Do you prefer the National Party or the Labour Party?

me personally just didnt like her as a person... her voice made me mad, she wore this DISCUSTING pink top one time that i will NEVER forget. she would be having a debate and just cut on in, as everyone does, but it was this STOOPID voice coming into the convosation. john key isnt much better.... im not really into the political side of things. lol. :P
Xeonaught
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:51:21 PM

Helen clark looks like a witch. although a guy at my school is in love with her *shudder* the thing was she was in office for ages yet nothing happend. I think people just wanted a change. I know i did.
defender390
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 9:22:04 AM

Eroschilles wrote:

Of the above people, only one really defected from the Empire and that was Crix Madine. Han was drummed out of the service, Jan retired and then joined a rebellion, and the three politicians rebelled. The politicians saw themselves as only owing alleigance to the Republic, not any Empire. So they were not defecting.

Palleon joined up with Thrawn and Daala as they were means to an end. They were stron military commanders that could help the Empire rebuild itself, and they were not like all of the other warlords who were just trying to carve out small empires for themselves. The Empire is not evil by nature, it just had many corrupted and evil leaders. And there is such a thing as changing something from within, which he eventually managed to do.

I will give you Dodonna and Han since Dodonna was already retired and Han was discharged, but the rest consciously abandoned their alleigance to the Emperor. The senators swore their alleigance to Palpatine when he declared himself Emperor of the new Glactic Empire. They then formed the Alliance to Restore the Republic. They were treasonous, they were Rebels, but they were also defectors since they consciously abandoned their sworn alleigance to the Emperor to form/join a rival faction.

Fine, if you will be so stubborn, here are all of the people Pellaeon joined with in the Empire:

Emperor Palpatine (the evil sith we all know)
Ysanne Isard (cold blooded cruel leader that ordered the massacre of more than 100,000 civilians on Coruscant)
Thrawn (a tyrant who pursued his own vision of order under his empirical rule)
Reborn Emperor (the evil sith we all know back from the dead)
Teradoc (an Imperial warlord)
Daala (a very cruel leader)

Yes, the Empire is inherently evil through most of its history. It is foolish to suggest that a government ruled by tyrannical leaders and cruel moffs is not evil. Remember, claiming you were just following orders does not work. Fel's empire is the only gray area, mostly because the Fels serve as a good buffer against the evil moffs. Post sith takeover, Roan Fel's empire is less evil. He is still a dictator, and that goes against him. For me, Pellaeon's "good" deeds such as outlawing slavery will never bring him to absolution because he knowingly served a regime responsible for countless atrocities.
Eroschilles
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 10:09:02 AM

defender390 wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

I will give you Dodonna and Han since Dodonna was already retired and Han was discharged, but the rest consciously abandoned their alleigance to the Emperor. The senators swore their alleigance to Palpatine when he declared himself Emperor of the new Glactic Empire. They then formed the Alliance to Restore the Republic. They were treasonous, they were Rebels, but they were also defectors since they consciously abandoned their sworn alleigance to the Emperor to form/join a rival faction.

Fine, if you will be so stubborn, here are all of the people Pellaeon joined with in the Empire:

Emperor Palpatine (the evil sith we all know)
Ysanne Isard (cold blooded cruel leader that ordered the massacre of more than 100,000 civilians on Coruscant)
Thrawn (a tyrant who pursued his own vision of order under his empirical rule)
Reborn Emperor (the evil sith we all know back from the dead)
Teradoc (an Imperial warlord)
Daala (a very cruel leader)

Yes, the Empire is inherently evil through most of its history. It is foolish to suggest that a government ruled by tyrannical leaders and cruel moff is not evil. Remember, claiming you were just following orders does not work. Fel's empire is the only gray area, mostly because the Fels serve as a good buffer against the evil moffs. Post sith takeover, Roan Fel's empire is less evil. He is still a dictator, and that goes against him. For me, Pellaeon's "good" deeds such as outlawing slavery will never bring him to absolution because he knowingly served a regime responsible for countless atrocities.

The three politicians that ended up rebelling were against Palpatine when he was still the Surpreme Chancellor. They never had any true allegiance to the Emperor, to the Republic, yes, but never to Palpatine or his Empire. They didn't defect from the Empire, but were fighting to restore the Republic.

Some of those you listed as examples as corrupt/evil leaders of the Empire were not corrupt or evil. Far from exemplary leaders, yes, but Thrawn wasn't a tyrant. He didn't murder individuals on those planets he captured, and even the battles he fought, he fought with keeping causalties on both sides at a minimum. Maybe a meglomaniac, but hardly a tyrant. Teradoc was a Warlord, but he wasn't inherently evil either. Just because you rule a military governemnt over a sector of space, doesn't make you evil. Daala was trying to put the Empire back together and made the Empire a better place to live. Probably mentally unbalanced and far from an ideal leader, but she didn't make the Empire a worse place to live.

Isard was clearly a villian and inherently evil, as was Palpatine, but they were the defacto leaders of the Government he served. The only military person you listed as a defector from the Empire was Crix and that was because he witnessed personally atrocities being commited. I think you underestimate the degree of control Palpatine had on information being released in the Galaxy. And Palleon never committed atrocities or witnessed those under his command doing so, so when one claims they were just following orders and never did anything morally questionable then that does work. His main problem with his government was they way Darth Vader treated subordinates. His sphere of familarity is the military and to the vessel he was assigned. He was not familar with the policies or politics occuring throughout the galaxy under Palpatine's reign, and when he found out after Palpatine's death he probably hoped that things would change for the better. Which they did eventually after he put alot of effort into it. I'm not saying he is the best leader ever, just that he was one of the best in the Empire and not just because all the others were horrible people.

I think you are judging an entire form of government because of your political idealogy, not based on individuals within that government or its military. A stronger central government such as the Empire is not inherently evil or a dictatorship either. Every monarchy ever was not a dictatorship, benevolent or otherwise, and there are constitional monarchies to this day. Not everything is so black and white, even in Star Wars.
defender390
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 1:03:50 PM

Eroschilles wrote:
The three politicians that ended up rebelling were against Palpatine when he was still the Surpreme Chancellor. They never had any true allegiance to the Emperor, to the Republic, yes, but never to Palpatine or his Empire. They didn't defect from the Empire, but were fighting to restore the Republic.

No, after he declared himself emperor in 19BBY, they became senators in the Imperial Senate. That position bound them to the Empire regardless of their personal beliefs. The Rebel Alliance was not even founded until the Corellian Treaty in 2BBY. They did not turn into full-fledged defectors until they became the leaders of the Rebel Alliance rather than senators.

Quote:
Some of those you listed as examples as corrupt/evil leaders of the Empire were not corrupt or evil. Far from exemplary leaders, yes, but Thrawn wasn't a tyrant. He didn't murder individuals on those planets he captured, and even the battles he fought, he fought with keeping causalties on both sides at a minimum. Maybe a meglomaniac, but hardly a tyrant. Teradoc was a Warlord, but he wasn't inherently evil either. Just because you rule a military governemnt over a sector of space, doesn't make you evil. Daala was trying to put the Empire back together and made the Empire a better place to live. Probably mentally unbalanced and far from an ideal leader, but she didn't make the Empire a worse place to live.

They were all despotic. They all enabled the crimes of the Empire. Any authoritarian leader will be tyrannical. Thrawn executed his men and used the Noghri as slaves, far from honorable. He also was conquering in order to bring "order" to the galaxy through his sole rule. Teradoc was a warlord that ruled over his fiefdom with an iron fist. He also aided Isard in her war effort. No, a military government is not evil, a government with one person in power inevitably turns evil regardless of if it had noble beginnings. Daala is honestly a bit of a joke, but evil nonetheless. If you consider a genocidal and incredibly cruel leader a benefit to society, then I guess you are correct. Seriously, she intentionally murdered an unarmed settlement on Dantooine for no real reason.

Quote:
Isard was clearly a villian and inherently evil, as was Palpatine, but they were the defacto leaders of the Government he served. The only military person you listed as a defector from the Empire was Crix and that was because he witnessed personally atrocities being commited. I think you underestimate the degree of control Palpatine had on information being released in the Galaxy. And Palleon never committed atrocities or witnessed those under his command doing so, so when one claims they were just following orders and never did anything morally questionable then that does work. His main problem with his government was they way Darth Vader treated subordinates. His sphere of familarity is the military and to the vessel he was assigned. He was not familar with the policies or politics occuring throughout the galaxy under Palpatine's reign, and when he found out after Palpatine's death he probably hoped that things would change for the better. Which they did eventually after he put alot of effort into it. I'm not saying he is the best leader ever, just that he was one of the best in the Empire and not just because all the others were horrible people.

Here are a list of strictly military personnel that defected:
Carlist Rieekan
Crix Madine
Tycho Celchu
Biggs Darklighter
Pter Thanas
Namurra Din (failed)
Harkov (failed)
Kasan Moor
Carib Devist
The "Mole"
Rukh
Khabarakh
Derek Klivian
Sair Yonka
Many others...

I think you overestimate the control Palpatine had. Somehow I doubt he could cover up the destruction of an entire planet. You must also remember the Imperial Governors such as Tarkin and their many atrocities. They were given full range to do whatever they wanted without the Emperor getting involved. They were mainly the reason that the Rebels had a steady influx of recruits. Also, one does not have to commit atrocities to be responsible for them. Pellaeon knew what the Empire was doing and still served them anyway. I see him as being similar to Rommel in Nazi Germany. Although he personally was honorable and respectable, he served the truly evil and facilitated their purposes. That makes him evil by association. He was not really "trying to make the Empire a better place" by latching onto every tyrant that crossed his path. He only became admirable once he actually took control of the Empire, but his past apathy makes me resent him. Even then, I resent his status as the sole ruler no matter how benevolent he was. When I look solely at the pre Fel Empire, Pellaeon was the best leader the Empire had. And it is because the others were horrible. Instead of commiting atrocities, refused to take a moral stance against them and defect.

Quote:
I think you are judging an entire form of government because of your political idealogy, not based on individuals within that government or its military. A stronger central government such as the Empire is not inherently evil or a dictatorship either. Every monarchy ever was not a dictatorship, benevolent or otherwise, and there are constitional monarchies to this day. Not everything is so black and white, even in Star Wars.

Every Imperial ruler was an authoritarian tyrant. The military leaders (moffs) were simply cruel. A strong central government always leads to tyranny regardless of it beginning be they noble of not. The Empire was a dictatorship, through and through. Look at the position of the Roman Dictator in ancient Rome, it parallels Palpatine exactly. The only reason Monarchs are not dictators is because the definition specifies an absence of hereditary ascension. Otherwise, they are both authoritarian systems with absolute rule. Constitutional Monarchies are a completely different story, their leaders actually have limits. I never suggested that everything was black and white. There are plenty of morally ambiguous characters and factions in real life and Star Wars. The Empire is not one of them.
Eroschilles
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 3:12:55 PM

True, the Rebel Alliance didn't start 2BBY, but individual rebels were resisting Palpatine's rule since day one. Like the three Republic senators in question. They became more organized with Marak's help.

It is a false statement to say any authoritarian leader will be tyrannical. Thrawn lacking honour and being a tyrant are too two different things. I don't remember Teradoc ruling the space under his control with an iron fist, the only thing I remember about him was that he was an Imperial warlord fighting over bits from the empire with other warlords. Him aiding his ally doesn't prove he is a tyrant either. I agree Daala is mentally unstable, but mass murder and genocide are two different things technically.

I'm confused, you say that the moffs were given full range to do whatever they wanted, but you say that the Empire was an authoritarian dictatorship. Those ideas are not congruent. Also, there was an Imperial Senate for 20 years that had legislative authority. There was some separation of power.

Palleon did not know the Empire was committing atrocities. Propaganda was put out that it was the rebels who were committing those atrocities. And by your logic, anyone serving in a government's military when they know the government is doing something wrong should defect. If that were true, the U.S. would have lost most of its military half-way through the Iraq War. With shades of gray, there is no "evil by association". When Palleon gained control of the Empire, he was not sole ruler, nor were any of the Fels later. They had the moffs to contend with. There is more to the Empire than the emperor.

When it comes to monarchies, there has only been one country at a specific time that actually had absolute power with a monarchy. And that was the French Empire under Louis XIV. Western monarchies were set up under the feudal system where the monarchs powers were limited and relied upon their vassals to actually stay in line. The Roman Empire had its dictators, but they did not last for a very long time as the senators had some power and the bad emperors would die shortly.
graloth
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 5:26:31 PM

REVAN Woot
Dr. Doom Cursing
Cable Confused
The Exile BigGrin
Naga Sadow Razz
Mole Man Woot

those r my leaders they r who i worship

worst leaders:

everyone else!!!!!

defender390
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 5:37:12 PM

Eroschilles wrote:
True, the Rebel Alliance didn't start 2BBY, but individual rebels were resisting Palpatine's rule since day one. Like the three Republic senators in question. They became more organized with Marak's help.

It is a false statement to say any authoritarian leader will be tyrannical. Thrawn lacking honour and being a tyrant are too two different things. I don't remember Teradoc ruling the space under his control with an iron fist, the only thing I remember about him was that he was an Imperial warlord fighting over bits from the empire with other warlords. Him aiding his ally doesn't prove he is a tyrant either. I agree Daala is mentally unstable, but mass murder and genocide are two different things technically.

Definition of Tyranny: arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority.

Resisting is not defection until they form or join a rival faction. Every authoritarian system has turned tyrannical in some way, it is inevitable when one person remains in power for as long as they like. They eventually put their own agenda ahead of what is best for the people of their territory. You first implied Thrawn was honorable, so I refuted. If you think executions for trivial reasons, slavery, and conquering through military force to further one's own power is not tyrannical, I do not think you understand the meaning of tyranny. Teradoc was like any other warlord. Like you said, He was carving out a piece of the Empire for himself. Just any other dictator that restricted political freedoms. Actually her mass murder was genocide. She specifically targetted the refugees.

Definition of Genocide: the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group.

Quote:
I'm confused, you say that the moffs were given full range to do whatever they wanted, but you say that the Empire was an authoritarian dictatorship. Those ideas are not congruent. Also, there was an Imperial Senate for 20 years that had legislative authority. There was some separation of power.

Yes, actually, they are congruent. The overall actions of the Empire were orchestrated by the Emperor. And the Emperor's word was law. The Imperial Governors operated in the Outer Rim to control each individual sector for smaller scale government operations and were allowed to do whatever they wished within Imperial Law in those sectors simply because they were beyond the reach of the core. The Imperial Senate had no real power. Palpatine had the final word in any legislation regardless of what the senate voted. Also, remember what Tarkin said in A New Hope.

Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.
General Tagge: But that's impossible. How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

Quote:
Palleon did not know the Empire was committing atrocities. Propaganda was put out that it was the rebels who were committing those atrocities. And by your logic, anyone serving in a government's military when they know the government is doing something wrong should defect. If that were true, the U.S. would have lost most of its military half-way through the Iraq War. With shades of gray, there is no "evil by association". When Palleon gained control of the Empire, he was not sole ruler, nor were any of the Fels later. They had the moffs to contend with. There is more to the Empire than the emperor.

The Empire tried to pin the destruction of Alderaan on the Rebels, but it was unsuccessful. It actually proved to swell Rebel ranks rather than anything else. No one really believed the Rebels did it, why would Pellaeon? There were also countless other atrocities that turned opinion against the Empire, but Pellaeon continued to serve faithfully. Insubordination was actually rather common among Imperial ranks as a result of the atrocities. Pellaeon was weak willed and hid behind his military duty to justify his inaction. I respect his personal beliefs, but not his actions or lack thereof. Every government makes mistakes sometimes, but when a government becomes tyrannical, every citizen should resist. Defection is reserved for when the government ceases to preform it duties. You obviously do not understand the U.S. military or the Iraq war if you seriously believe that. Evil by association is very much true. Someone that consciously supports a morally devoid government or organization without an extremely good reason is just as bad as those they support. The moffs were a joke. They never cooperated with each other much less actually form a competent resistence to either Pellaeon or the Fels. Technically, the leader of the Empire is not the Empire, as you said. Effectively, they are, simply because everybody else is often too incompetent to resist them. Roan is the only one I can think of that the moff council actually managed to resist. Even then, they needed the Sith.

Quote:
When it comes to monarchies, there has only been one country at a specific time that actually had absolute power with a monarchy. And that was the French Empire under Louis XIV. Western monarchies were set up under the feudal system where the monarchs powers were limited and relied upon their vassals to actually stay in line. The Roman Empire had its dictators, but they did not last for a very long time as the senators had some power and the bad emperors would die shortly.

Absolute rulers:

Louis XIV
Peter I
Catherine II
Alexander II
Most other Tzars
James I (unsuccessful)
Charles I (unsuccessful)
Frederick William

Feudalism did not always work. Sometimes the vassals were to incompetent to actually stand up against monarchs. This usually ended up with the monarchies gaining and losing absolute control on a fairly regular basis. Eventually, the people decided to either overthrow them or bind them to laws. Julius Caesar refused to give up the power granted to him as the dictator and siezed control of Rome. The Senate still functioned but was rather ineffective. Very similar to Palpatine's rise to power. Unfortunately, some Caesars caused great damage before their deaths. Such as Nero.