RegisterDonateLogin

Rumored to be nerfed in the next Errata.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Favorite Leaders? Options
Eroschilles
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:09:26 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I wasn't trying to imply that Thrawn was honorable, just that he wasn't a despot or tyrant. As I recall, he only executed 1 individual under his command. That is heavy handed disciplinarrain, but one instance does not mean tyranny. Thrawn didn't make then into slaves, they were not forced to work against their will with no compensation. He continued the lie that Vader began and took advantage of their honor-bound nature to exploit them as bodyguards and assassins. When they found out later that he was lieing to them, they terminated their employment with him and killed him. Then they resumed their bodyguard function with Lady Vader, so if you believe Thrawn used the Noghri as slaves, then so did Princess Leia. If his military conquest to further is own ends is tyranny, then the Rebel Alliance and New Republic are just as guilty. Every system and planet they took was not in the name of liberation. Some planets were Imperial and wanted to remain that way. But as important military targets, they had to be controlled by the Rebel Alliance and denied to the Imperials. That furthered the rebels own agenda.

Saying Teradoc was dictator or tyrant is silly as we have no idea how he ran his buruacracy or his government. You are lumping him in that group just because of his affiliations. And Daala's wiping out the colony on Dantooine is still not genocide. Mass murder yes, but not genocide. Daala was under the impression it was a rebel outpost when she intercepted a cargo vessel carrying big guns en route to the colony. It had nothing to due with their ethnic identity or even if they shared a common ethnic identity. Colonist could come from anywhere.

Separation of power between the Emperor and the moffs and total direct authoratative power held by the Emperor are not congruent ideas. The Emperor had strong influence over the moffs and could replace them at will, but the moffs had a lot power. They could build up a strong power base and rival Palpatine's rule, which happened occassionally without much success. Their ability to build up such a power base was why factionalism and warlordism occcured so easily after the Emperor's death. The shock at the dismantling of the Senate is evidence enough that they still had some power and influence left in the Empire after 20 years, evidencing a further separation of power and responsibilities however superficial and limited those may have been.

There is no evidence that Palleon was aware of any atrocities besides the Imperial slavery policy. You have to keep in mind that he was stationed to the Chimera for the entirety of Palpatine's reign. Palleon displayed shock and denial when told the truth about Palpatine's force manipulation of his troops, even at Endor.

I don't seriously believe that U.S. Troops should go around defecting because their government practices morally questionable behaviors. That is your arguement as far as I know it. The fact remains the U.S. governemnt lied to its people about the reasons for entering into a war, invaded a sovereign nation with the explicit intent of toppling it's legitimate government (even though it was a really bad government), practiced Geneva convention banned torture in numerous locations, broke domestic U.S. laws, and greatly expanded the power of the Executive branch and central government. The point is there has been plenty of evidence of moral wrongdoing, and the troops are quite aware of it and many do not agree with its government actions. But most do not defect or desert because they swear loyalty to the government, and a soldier does his duty to a seemingly corrupt country as long as he himself does not violate any laws or moral codes. If evil by association is true, then every American is evil because of the morally devoid government actions went unchallenged. And that is something that I find totally untrue. Especially since many of the governments wrongdoings are hidden until after the fact.

Um, the very definition of feudalism means that it didn't work. There is a difference between strong authoratarian power and absolute power though. Lious XIV was the only true Absolute monarch. The Tsars had a lot of power, but I think you are underestimating the influence of the Boyers. Peter and Catherine were probably two of the strongest, but they still faced a lot of opposition within Russia. The Roman Emperors were strong, but the real power in the Roman Empire came from who had control of the armies. That's why the most powerful emperors were generals.

My entire arguement is not on the merits of the Empire or its individuals, but that "Only Sith deal in Absolutes". Not everyone in the Empire is a despot leader or weak willed follower. The Empire has its own shades of gray.
defender390
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:50:16 PM
Groups: Member

Eroschilles wrote:
I wasn't trying to imply that Thrawn was honorable, just that he wasn't a despot or tyrant. As I recall, he only executed 1 individual under his command. That is heavy handed disciplinarrain, but one instance does not mean tyranny. Thrawn didn't make then into slaves, they were not forced to work against their will with no compensation. He continued the lie that Vader began and took advantage of their honor-bound nature to exploit them as bodyguards and assassins. When they found out later that he was lieing to them, they terminated their employment with him and killed him. Then they resumed their bodyguard function with Lady Vader, so if you believe Thrawn used the Noghri as slaves, then so did Princess Leia. If his military conquest to further is own ends is tyranny, then the Rebel Alliance and New Republic are just as guilty. Every system and planet they took was not in the name of liberation. Some planets were Imperial and wanted to remain that way. But as important military targets, they had to be controlled by the Rebel Alliance and denied to the Imperials. That furthered the rebels own agenda.

Thrawn continuing the lie and using them under false circumstances is just as bad as doing it himself. Their compensation was the "cleaning" of their planet which was intentionally delayedm in order to keep their servitude. They were essentially slaves, no matter if they thought they were doing their duty or not. There is no excuse for that. Leia was not using them as slaves, the Noghri commited themselves to her without false pretenses. There was no deception involved. Thrawn's motivation for conquest was to bring order to the galaxy under his own rule. The Rebels and the New Republic were motivated to restore democracy to the galaxy. Big difference. The Rebel agenda was not that of an individual person to further their own goals over the well-being of their people. That keeps them from being tyrannical. Thrawn was unrestrained by law and continued the abuse of power by those that preceded him. That makes him a tyrant. I cannot find anything that redeems him in any way in my eyes. That is my view of the Empire. No amount of good ever done under Palpatine or Isard could redeem the Empire. With other leadership, the Empire was better. Pellaeon being the best of them. They still did not do enough in my eyes. I do not think the Empire became shades of grey until the Fels, which I have already mentioned. The moffs are still evil, but Fel and the Imperial Mission did enough to temper that evil and make the Empire shades of grey.

Quote:
Saying Teradoc was dictator or tyrant is silly as we have no idea how he ran his buruacracy or his government. You are lumping him in that group just because of his affiliations. And Daala's wiping out the colony on Dantooine is still not genocide. Mass murder yes, but not genocide. Daala was under the impression it was a rebel outpost when she intercepted a cargo vessel carrying big guns en route to the colony. It had nothing to due with their ethnic identity or even if they shared a common ethnic identity. Colonist could come from anywhere.

There is nothing to suggest he was any different than the other warlords, so I am treating him as such. Daala's massacre was genocide. Genocide does not only include ethnic identity, but national identity also. The national identity of the Dantooine settler was that of refugees. Daala thought it was a New Republic base, found out that it was not, then intentionally targetted the refugees for shock value. Terrorism is probably a better word for it since it was driven more by shock value than hatred for a certain group of people.

Quote:
Separation of power between the Emperor and the moffs and total direct authoratative power held by the Emperor are not congruent ideas. The Emperor had strong influence over the moffs and could replace them at will, but the moffs had a lot power. They could build up a strong power base and rival Palpatine's rule, which happened occassionally without much success. Their ability to build up such a power base was why factionalism and warlordism occcured so easily after the Emperor's death. The shock at the dismantling of the Senate is evidence enough that they still had some power and influence left in the Empire after 20 years, evidencing a further separation of power and responsibilities however superficial and limited those may have been.

It was not a true separation of power, all of the moffs ultimately answered to him. When he did not give them instruction, they did what they wanted. Palpatine was not going to concern himself with all of the matters the moffs faced. Their fear of the Emperor kept them in line and he pretty much did whatever he wanted. He essentially had absolute power because the moffs rarely stood up to him. When they did, they usually ended up destroying each other. Once the fear was gone, so was the moff council. They gave up their "power" for authority. If Palpatine disagreed with a senate resolution, he would just overule it. Just because there was separation of power in theory, it does not mean there actually was. In the end, the Senate never really did anything Palpatine did not approve of. The shock of Plapatine dissolving the senate stemmed from the realization that the government was even going to bother feigning democracy or political freedom anymore.

Quote:
There is no evidence that Palleon was aware of any atrocities besides the Imperial slavery policy. You have to keep in mind that he was stationed to the Chimera for the entirety of Palpatine's reign. Palleon displayed shock and denial when told the truth about Palpatine's force manipulation of his troops, even at Endor.

Everyone knew of the atrocities. Just because he was stationed on the Chimaera does not mean that he was isolated from the rest of the galaxy. He obviously agreed with the creation of the Empire since he was not purged. Everyone knew of the orbital bombardment of Caamas. Many heard of Tarkin literally landing on protestors. The big one was Alderaan. A planet was simply destroyed along with 8 billion people. There also happened to be an Imperial superweapon capable of doing that very thing right next to it. Everyone knew the Empire did it. It is impossible to cover up the dissappearance of an entire planet. But Pellaeon just continued to deny it. After he found out it was true, he still denied it, despite overwhelming proof. He continued to serve the Empire responsible for the intentional killing of billions of innocents.

Quote:
I don't seriously believe that U.S. Troops should go around defecting because their government practices morally questionable behaviors. That is your arguement as far as I know it. The fact remains the U.S. governemnt lied to its people about the reasons for entering into a war, invaded a sovereign nation with the explicit intent of toppling it's legitimate government (even though it was a really bad government), practiced Geneva convention banned torture in numerous locations, broke domestic U.S. laws, and greatly expanded the power of the Executive branch and central government. The point is there has been plenty of evidence of moral wrongdoing, and the troops are quite aware of it and many do not agree with its government actions. But most do not defect or desert because they swear loyalty to the government, and a soldier does his duty to a seemingly corrupt country as long as he himself does not violate any laws or moral codes. If evil by association is true, then every American is evil because of the morally devoid government actions went unchallenged. And that is something that I find totally untrue. Especially since many of the governments wrongdoings are hidden until after the fact.

That is not my arguement. My arguement is that the horrible acts the Empire commited far outweigh any good it did. That is reason for defection. The United States has made mistakes, yes, but the United States is a good country overall. The Empire was not. Now you are really just spreading propoganda. The government did not lie about the reasons for invading, sovereignty has nothing to do with war, the Iraqi government posed a clear danger to the United States, waterboarding is not torture, unlawful combatants are not covered under the Geneva convention, the Patriot Act broke no laws (I assume that is what you mean by domestic laws), and the power of the Executive branch was not expanded. Bush was vocal about his beliefs, but the power fell to congress for legislation. The only times the executive branch gained a lot of power was during the presidencies of Lincoln and FDR, off the top of my head. The reason soldiers do not desert or defect is because they believe in what the country is doing. They believe it is the right thing to do. One of the advantages of having a volunteer military. A soldier does his duty not for the government, but for the American people. The actions of the government are always questioned and challenged by the people, just as they should be.

Quote:
Um, the very definition of feudalism means that it didn't work. There is a difference between strong authoratarian power and absolute power though. Lious XIV was the only true Absolute monarch. The Tsars had a lot of power, but I think you are underestimating the influence of the Boyers. Peter and Catherine were probably two of the strongest, but they still faced a lot of opposition within Russia. The Roman Emperors were strong, but the real power in the Roman Empire came from who had control of the armies. That's why the most powerful emperors were generals.

Definition of Absolute Monarchy: Rule by one person — a monarch, usually a king or a queen — whose actions are restricted neither by written law nor by custom; a system different from a constitutional monarchy and from a republic.

I was referring to the intention of nobilty restricting the monarch in feudalism, which more often than not did not happen. It does not matter if monarchs had opposition from nobility, as long as they were not bound by law and were seen to abuse power, they were absolute monarchs. When it comes down to it, they could do what they pleased until they were dead. There were multiple ways to keep the nobles in their pockets. Every absolute monarch has faced resitiance in some way, that does not mean they do not hold all of the power. Most of the resistance actually came in the form of the clergy, unless the monarch appointed them too. By your logic, Louis XIV was not an absolute ruler either. The nobility still existed and had power and influence, they were simply centralized in the Palace of Verailles rather than their respective territiories. I only brought up Rome because of Palpatine's similarities to Julius Caesar. A strong man that was granted emergency powers in a time of need that he eventually used to create a new Empire.

Quote:
My entire arguement is not on the merits of the Empire or its individuals, but that "Only Sith deal in Absolutes". Not everyone in the Empire is a despot leader or weak willed follower. The Empire has its own shades of gray.

My entire argument is that the Empire is inherently evil. It can change, but not easily. They are not shades of grey until the evil and good are relatively balanced with some leeway in either direction. Until the Fels, I think the Empire was still overwhelmingly evil. Before that, every incantation of the Empire was despotism because all of the power was held either by one person or a small group of people. But what separates the soldiers that defected from those that did not? The will to do what is right. The ones that did not defect were either nieve or weak willed. Although Pellaeon did a good job as leader of the remnant, he did not do enough to redeem the Empire. Do not get me wrong, the reduction of prejudice against aliens an the outlawing of slavery was a giant step in the right direction, but I would still classify him as evil for his past inaction despite his pesonal beliefs. That is why I do not classify him as a great leader. He did not stand up for his ideals when serving other leaders of the Empire. A quote by Edmund Burke sums up Pellaeon well, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Eroschilles
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:19:50 PM

I think the Empire is successfully argued out. You believe them to be evil through and through. The argument will come down to semantics, which is totally unnecessary.

defender390 wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

[quote]I don't seriously believe that U.S. Troops should go around defecting because their government practices morally questionable behaviors. That is your argument as far as I know it. The fact remains the U.S. governemnt lied to its people about the reasons for entering into a war, invaded a sovereign nation with the explicit intent of toppling it's legitimate government (even though it was a really bad government), practiced Geneva convention banned torture in numerous locations, broke domestic U.S. laws, and greatly expanded the power of the Executive branch and central government. The point is there has been plenty of evidence of moral wrongdoing, and the troops are quite aware of it and many do not agree with its government actions. But most do not defect or desert because they swear loyalty to the government, and a soldier does his duty to a seemingly corrupt country as long as he himself does not violate any laws or moral codes. If evil by association is true, then every American is evil because of the morally devoid government actions went unchallenged. And that is something that I find totally untrue. Especially since many of the governments wrongdoings are hidden until after the fact.

That is not my arguement. My arguement is that the horrible acts the Empire commited far outweigh any good it did. That is reason for defection. The United States has made mistakes, yes, but the United States is a good country overall. The Empire was not. Now you are really just spreading propoganda. The government did not lie about the reasons for invading, sovereignty has nothing to do with war, the Iraqi government posed a clear danger to the United States, waterboarding is not torture, unlawful combatants are not covered under the Geneva convention, the Patriot Act broke no laws (I assume that is what you mean by domestic laws), and the power of the Executive branch was not expanded. Bush was vocal about his beliefs, but the power fell to congress for legislation. The only times the executive branch gained a lot of power was during the presidencies of Lincoln and FDR, off the top of my head. The reason soldiers do not desert or defect is because they believe in what the country is doing. They believe it is the right thing to do. One of the advantages of having a volunteer military. A soldier does his duty not for the government, but for the American people. The actions of the government are always questioned and challenged by the people, just as they should be.

I am not spreading propaganda.

If the governemnt did not lie about about the reasons for war, then they were sorely mistaken about the realities and that sort of ineptitude caused the deaths of more than 100,000 people. Ooops.

Soveriegnty has to do with legality of invading another nation. One country cannot legally invade another nation and topel its regime just because they believe that nation posses a threat to their country. Especially when the world community denounces it and tells them otherwise. The Iraqi government posed no clear danger to the U.S. Those allegations were proven false later when no evidence was found that Iraq did.

Lets refresh what torture is:
Main Entry: torture
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): tor·tured; tor·tur·ing \ˈtȯrch-riŋ, ˈtȯr-chə-\
Date: 1588

1 : to cause intense suffering to : torment
2 : to punish or coerce by inflicting excruciating pain

Waterboarding is torture. Torture is immoral and illegal. But waterboarding was not the only technique employed that was more than questionable. Insurgents are what the U.S. considers as unlawful combatants. But the American Revolutionaries were essentially insurgents against an occupying force as well. We, as Americans, are held to higher standards. Torturing and finding loopholes in the Geneva Convention underminds what it means to be American.

When I was refering to broken laws, I was refering to unlawful search and seizure done with illegal wire tapping. The executive branch and central government gained power via the Patriot Act, which was probably unconstitutional. Bush's stance that he could do certain actions (wiretapping without a warrant) just because he was president, is definitely an expansion of executive powers. The president was not the only one to blame for government "mistakes", congress is just as responsible as they voted the legislation through.

Soldiers don't all agree with the course of the governemnt, but they continue to fight and die for things they don't believe in, voluntarily, because that is their duty as soldiers.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:48:11 PM

one thing is for certain.
this thread is getting better and better with every entry!
saber1
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:36:10 PM

Eroschilles wrote:
One country cannot legally invade another nation and topel its regime just because they believe that nation posses a threat to their country. Especially when the world community denounces it and tells them otherwise. The Iraqi government posed no clear danger to the U.S. Those allegations were proven false later when no evidence was found that Iraq did.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the end of the first Gulf War due to a cease-fire? It was an agreement based on certain criteria being met my Hussein's regime. Those criteria had not been met for years. Then President Bush gave him another 14 months warning before revoking the cease-fire. The fact that those agreed upon criteria were flagarantly disregarded only emboldened our enemies around the word. I'd say that was a clear danger.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:59:50 PM

saber1 wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:
One country cannot legally invade another nation and topel its regime just because they believe that nation posses a threat to their country. Especially when the world community denounces it and tells them otherwise. The Iraqi government posed no clear danger to the U.S. Those allegations were proven false later when no evidence was found that Iraq did.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the end of the first Gulf War due to a cease-fire? It was an agreement based on certain criteria being met my Hussein's regime. Those criteria had not been met for years. Then President Bush gave him another 14 months warning before revoking the cease-fire. The fact that those agreed upon criteria were flagarantly disregarded only emboldened our enemies around the word. I'd say that was a clear danger.

yes that was clear Danger, but not to us.
The United States are not the Global Police, and we only stick our noses in business that isnt ours, for gain.
thats the name of the game isnt it? consume? we have been doing this since the beginning of time. you guys want to talk about politics and whats wrong and whats right, but you arent seeing the biggest picture out of all of this. This is what we do as people, regardless of race, ethnicity and religious sect. Emperors, Czars, Ceasars, Kings, presidents, governors...they have been doing this since forever.
Just because Bush Sr. was in the CIA, doesnt give him or his half retarded son the right to go in there and take over, because thats exactly what we did.
we did it with the Indians, and now we have to share countries with other countries.
did we do to bring peace to the Sunnis and Shiites? Hell no we didnt! Bush Sr. and Jr. and their cabinets didnt give a blasted about the murders. THEY CARE ABOUT THE OIL!!
why do you think they put Saddam to death so quick? war Crimes? really? how about the Genocidal freak Slobadon Milosavich? he isnt dead. and his genocides were more horrific then saddams. if someone says that saddam was put to death because of what he did, instead of what he didnt do(which was bend under our pressure), then that person is Naive and watches way too much Fox and O'reilly Factor.
greentime
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:04:42 PM

In the Star Wars universe, both Pellaeon and Jag Fel (I think) deserve major props for keeping the Empire alive despite some serious baggage (for example being the remnant of the most hated nation-state in galactic history, having almost no industrial/population/tax base, and being constantly at war for generations), even managing to bring it back to the position of dominant galactic power by the Cade Skywalker era. That they did so while having to deal with a bizarre oligarchy-ish power structure is all the more impressive.

Mon Mothma obviously performed very well as leader of the Rebellion. Limited resources, ruthless and ridiculously powerful enemies, fractured and fragmented allies. The WEG RPG books go into quite a bit of detail about how she turned the rebellion from a ragtag bunch of idealists to a political and military threat.

In real life, I have to laugh at anyone who calls FDR the worst leader in American history. Ignore for a minute his political positions. The Great Depression was so bad that many Americans declared that capitalism was dead and the US would have to switch to "more successful" fascism or communism. ONE QUARTER of everyone was unemployed. Roosevelt managed to keep the country together, keep it capitalist, inch the country into World War II frankly against the will of a majority of the populace, and then utterly win that war. Oh, and at the same time passed a vast array of regulations, most of which are still in place, that included the most sweeping changes to US government and society since (and perhaps including) the Civil War. I do not think it is a coincidence that we had our current economic meltdown shortly after Congress repealed one of the cornerstone New Deal bank regulations (Glass-Steagal). Nor do I think it is a coincidence that Social Security and Medicare are considered the third rails of American politics. Those programs deliver tangible and much-needed benefits to a vast portion of the population. If that makes him a bad leader, he must have some prestigious company.

Worst leader in US history? James Buchanan. If the want to blame the Civil War on one person, he's the one. His three predecessors (Pierce, Fillmore, Taylor) were also very poor. Under their leadership, the Civil War became inevitable. That they were abysmal leaders is evinced by the fact that you probably cannot name anything they did, and maybe have never even heard of them!
greentime
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:11:46 PM

saber1 wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

Sorry, a clear danger of what? What could he do to us? Obviously Iraq was not an existential threat to the United States the way, for example, Nazi Germany was an existential threat to France and the USSR. Also obviously Iraq was not an existential threat to our allies in the region, given what happened in the first Gulf War. "Embolden[ing] our enemies around the world?" What does that mean? Who are these enemies, and how were they emboldened? Most of the countries that have unfriendly relations with the US also despise Iraq or are at best indifferent (Iran, al Qaida, North Korea). In what manner was Iraq dangerous to us? They did not have and were not developing chemical/biological/nuclear weaponry. They did not serve as a state sponsor of al Qaida or any other international terrorist group. I am not seeing where the danger was supposedly coming from here.
saber1
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:49:51 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:

yes that was clear Danger, but not to us.

The danger was to us and any of our allies. If our enemies know we won't enforce agreements then they know our will is weak and our word is meaningless. Then its open season on the US.

Just because Bush Sr. was in the CIA, doesnt give him or his half retarded son the right to go in there and take over, because thats exactly what we did.

I'd enjoy discussing politics with you, but let's keep the name calling out, can we? Believe it or not, some of us here might actually like some of the people you are insulting. Even if we don't, the discussion is more fruitful when all envolved can turn down the emotion and turn up the reason. Passion is great when coupled with prudence.

Yes, we did take over. That is part of war. And look who is in charge now. Gasp! The Iraqis! How many nations have ever conquered another nation and then handed it all back to the people? The United States of America is on a very small list here.

we did it with the Indians, and now we have to share countries with other countries.

I'll be the first to agree with you that the American Indian got the shaft. We too often did not act in good faith. We lied and butchered, plundered and stole. How to make things right, I do not know, but it is a sad affair in this nation's past. However, there is plenty of blame to spread around. Like in Africa, many atrocities and deceptions were committed by rival tribes and rogues as well as the whites. While that does not make those actions any less grotesque or relevant, it does keep them in perspective.

did we do to bring peace to the Sunnis and Shiites? Hell no we didnt!

That's a mighty tall order. They've been fighting for centuries. Peace doesn't happen overnight. However, there are signs that things are improving between the general populace of each muslim sect. It's the radicals, on both sides, that are the issue.

THEY CARE ABOUT THE OIL!!

Of course they do! The entire world runs on oil. Simply because there is more than one issue at stake does not mean we should not act. By that logic, we can only act when a situation is devoid of any benefit to the United States, actual or potential. Does such a nation or situation exist? No.

The United States are not the Global Police, and we only stick our noses in business that isnt ours, for gain.

As a leader, your darned if you do and darned if you don't. Go into Iraq and you are a greedy, oil-loving scumbag. Don't do anything about Milosovich and your a callous, selfish scumbag. "He only went in because of oil!" "He watched it happen because there wasn't anything in it for him!" There is no way to please everyone. At the very least, I give Bush credit for acting. Was oil a consideration? That's hard to prove otherwise. However, Iraqis now vote, have steady electricity, clean water, aren't being hit with mustard gas and they can now choose their own destinies. Things are far from perfect, but there is a quantifiable benefit to our "interference". If they have the collective will, their country will thrive in the long run. Also, they will likely be our ally, to one degree or another, which is a tangible benefit to the US.

why do you think they put Saddam to death so quick? war Crimes? really?

President Bush left Saddam in the hands of his own people, to be tried as they saw fit. He could have brought him to Gitmo. He could have had his dad's CIA buddies "disappear" him. He chose to let Iraqis handle their own leader. They tried him. They executed him. I'd say war crimes had a lot to do with it. Add in wanton brutality, oppression and other unpleasantness and you have plenty of legitimate reasons for the Iraqis to prosecute Saddam.

then that person is Naive and watches way too much Fox and O'reilly Factor.

Why is Fox any less legitimate than any of the other "news" networks? They all slant the news these days and most don't even try to hide it anymore. True journalism is pretty much dead today. Mad
saber1
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:05:38 PM

greentime wrote:
Sorry, a clear danger of what? What could he do to us? Obviously Iraq was not an existential threat to the United States the way, for example, Nazi Germany was an existential threat to France and the USSR. Also obviously Iraq was not an existential threat to our allies in the region, given what happened in the first Gulf War. "Embolden[ing] our enemies around the world?" What does that mean? Who are these enemies, and how were they emboldened? Most of the countries that have unfriendly relations with the US also despise Iraq or are at best indifferent (Iran, al Qaida, North Korea). In what manner was Iraq dangerous to us? They did not have and were not developing chemical/biological/nuclear weaponry. They did not serve as a state sponsor of al Qaida or any other international terrorist group. I am not seeing where the danger was supposedly coming from here.

By Osama Bin Laden's own words, we were seen as a paper tiger during Clinton's administration for what we didn't do. We didn't help the Somalis, we didn't stop Milosevic, we didn't do much of anything to defend ourselves or enforce our word. Clinton wouldn't even send in support for our Marines when it hit the fan in Mogadishu. Do you know what happened after Bin Laden saw this? World Trade Center bombing #1, USS Cole attack, barracks bombings, etc. And our response? Kill Bin Laden when given the chance? Pass. Hit back for bombings? No thanks. President Clinton sure showed that asprin factory whose boss though.

Bin Laden saw a paper tiger and that is exactly what we were during the Clinton Administration. Too many of us were busy excusing away his infidelity and criminal lying about it because hey, times were good. Jobs were a plenty and the economy was roaring. The smartest thing Clinton did regarding the economy was largely leave it alone then assume all the credit. That, however, is an entirely different discussion.
saber1
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:15:08 PM

As far as the original point of this thread goes, I tend to favor the non-political leaders of the Rebellion and New Republic. Ackbar, for one. He was great militarily and had a great distaste for the back-stabbing realm of politics. Wedge Antilles is another, although he would engage in politics when pushed to. Both are likeable characters who inspire those they lead and help them become better than where they started.

As for the Empire, its strength was derived from a confiscation of the citizens' freedom. I'm a person that believes the government's purpose is to serve its citizens. I also believe that a government often does this best when it gets out of the way. The less intrusive and confining, the more the people tend to flourish and as the people go, the nation goes. Liberty must be central to any government, but the people have a responsibility to use and guard that liberty wisely or it surely will evaporate. I'm afraid that is happening here in the US before our eyes.
Eroschilles
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:26:18 AM

Liberty has been disappearing for the last 8 years. The Patriot Act was akin to the Alien and Sedition Acts from the early 20th and 19th centuries. They restricted American freedoms and liberties for greater perceived securities. Greater liberty will only come from economic prosperity I'm afraid.

Clinton's troubles with showing more military flex around the world came from opposition in congress and not having American support to send troops overseas.

The Sunnis and Shiites have been disagreeing in Iraq for centuries, but not killing each other en masse. There has been more secretarian violence in the last 5 years, than the previous hundred. Caused by the rapid destabilization of their government and the total destruction of their infrastructure and the presence of an occupying force. The reason the U.S. handed the government over to its own people, besides being the right thing to do, was that there was no way the U.S. could maintain any government facility of Iraq. The military is stretched too thin and the resources just didn't exist for the U.S. to maintain any government control over Iraq.

As to our reason for entering Iraq for oil, I find that unlikely. Mostly because we don't have any oil to show for it. No, the reason we went in is because there was a vendetta to settle, and I don't think the blood lust from 9/11 was quenched from just Afghanistan. Though our extreme concern for Saddam setting the oil fields on fire again when initially going in raises an eyebrow if we didn't want that oil.
defender390
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:14:09 AM

A lot of people already covered some things, but I feel I should add some.

There were no lies. Saddam did have weapons of mass destruction. UN weapons inspectors were in the process of destroying them when he kicked them out for being "spies". They only managed to destroy 127,000 tons of weapons. We know for sure that they had more, including VX nerve toxin, but considering how easy it is to make chemical or biological weapons, they could have more than we ever expected. President Bush gave Saddam a time limit in which he had to let the inspectors back in or face war with the United States, just as saber1 said. It is just a matter of finding the weapons now. There was also the genocide of the Kurds, which should be reason enough. Saddam was providing a safe haven for the ALF, PLF, and the Abu Nidal Organization. These were responsible for many attacks against Israel, our ally. Iraq gave up their sovereignty long ago. They were a danger to the UNited States, Israel, and Iran. And guess what? People die in war. It is unfortunate, but inevitable.

Waterboarding is not torture, it does not fit the definition. It causes neither suffering nor excrutiating pain. It cause the sensation of drowning. It is actually used in the training of our soldiers. Are you going to say tear gas is torture also?

Warrants are not required for wiretapping because it is a subpeona. Although I do not agree with it completely, I do not have a big problem with it. Just do not make long calls to terror supporting countries.

Saddam was executed so quickly because by Iraqi law it is illegal to execute someone of 75 (not sure about the age) or older. They wanted to avoid his birthday. To suggest it is some conspiracy is foolish.

The wars with the Indians are more two sided than the history books say. There were horrible atrocities on both sides, but I think it is safe to say the ones against the Indians were worse. Just like saber1 said, keep it in perspective.

Fox News is the most reliable news source on the television. The others are just propoganda machines.

If Iraq was all about the oil we would have just secured the pipelines and let the rest of the country suffer. But wars are never fought for noble reasons alone, it is safe to say we will get advantageous oil deals from Iraq.

To suggest that FDR was great is laughable. He is probably one of the most whitewashed presidents in history. Nothing he did actually fixed anything in the Great Depression. Things just continued to get worse because of socialist policies. World War II was our saving grace. To suggest that social security and medicare are great achievements is a joke. Social security is little more than a government ponzi scheme and medicare is an ineffective, horribly bankrupt program.

I agree, Buchanan was incompetent. I do not think he deserves to be the worst, though. The Civil War was inevitable despite the actions of any president.

saber1 is exactly right about the clinton presidency. Do you think it is a coincidence that we have been attacked in some way every single time that we have reduced defence spending? Peace through strength, victory through devastation.
Eroschilles
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:56:40 AM

Saddam did not have weapons of mass destruction. Chemical rounds were found, but they were not WMDs. You can find the same quantity and quality of chemical rounds buried at some military bases. The issues with UN inspectors and Iraq are numerous. They were basically always in and out, and UN inspecters were there only a few weeks before the U.S. invaded, saying there were no WMDs. We still went in. Saddam was a tyrannical dictator, but he was the soveriegn ledaer of Iraq. Our ally in Pakistan is also a dictator. Burma and North Korea too. Pakistan and North Korea actually have WMDs, flaunt it in our face, but we invade Iraq. Why is that? What are the procedures for picking and choosing which dictator is our ally and which is the enemy? There is no question Saddam was a very bad man, but he isn't the only one to kill Kurds. November 2008 the Turkish government was mad at the U.S. for our strategic bombings of Kurdish villages in Turky. The Kurds have been fighting viscously for their own nation-state for the last 60 years. They have attacked our troops in northern Iraq numerous times in the past where we had to bomb their villages in other countries. Yes, people die in war, but the Iraq war was unnecessary.

Fox isn't any more trustworthy than any other form of media these days. Propaganda is the state sponsored media outlet. Unless you are suggesting that the federal government feeds the stories to CNN or other networks besides Fox, then its not propaganda. It biased news, and Fox is just as guilty. Ask them, they will tell you how biased they are.

Waterboard, still torture. Drowning hurts. Tear gas hurts. Not only does waterboarding casue physical pain, it causes pyschological pain. And utilizing tear gas to obtain information through painful interragation or coercion would, in fact, be torture. Waterboarding isn't even effective in that regard. Very little information was evidently obtained from the technique. U.S. troops are subjugated to both so they could resist other nations torture techniques. Right there, it is recognized as torture.

Actually, if you look at economic statistical data from the 1930s, ypou can see evidence of FDRs reforms making a difference soccially and economically before WWII broke out in Europe even. The industrial-military complex of WWII was one giant social project anyways, providing millions of jobs paid for by the government. You can hate FDR all you want, but his policies are the reason why our parents and grandparents did not starve to death in the 1930s. And the Greatest Generation would be outraged to hear the things you say about him.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:59:47 AM

yes, all news outlets are in one way or another the machines of Propaganda. in a sense, all of us who are displaying our opinions are spreading it.
Correct, Clinton did nothing but play with Cigars and assume debt.
i am on the fence when it comes to him and what he should be held responsible for though.
i cant really say that some of the atrocities that americans faced over seas were because of his lack of motivation. lets be honest, hes a Democrat. i was impressed when we stopped Milosovich, that showed me that clinton did somewhat have some sort of spine.
Now to Bin Laden.....
Does anyone remember The Russian and Afghani war?
the Afghanis had no weapons to fight the russians, at all. The russians were still "enemies" to us, and we decided instead of going to war with russia (smart move on our part), we would then train and arm the afghanis to fight their war. they became our pawns. Quite Genius if you think about it. years and years passed, the afghanis had finally won the war! the russians had turned around and went back home....
The afghanis? most of their homes were destroyed, thousands of people were killed.
America, the afghani Hero, the people who made this all possible for them, suddenly turns their back on them and leaves afghanistan, for good. the support just all of a sudden stops.
yes, the afghanis won their war, in the name of keeping russian invaders out of their sovereign nation.
Now to Sept. 11th...
I grew up in NY, ive lived in tenn for almost 4 years. my point is that when sept 11th, happened, i was there. i know what i saw. i know what me and my co workers saw on the 24th floor of E 65th st. after the 1st plane hit, we decided to go up to the roof (i was the superintendant of this building at the time, the manhattan house), as soon as we got up there, we saw the second airplane, no further then 2 and a half football fields away from us. I didnt know that Police had their own Gunships until that day. news choppers were being threatened to leave the air space ,if they didnt, they would be shot out of the sky.
before the 2nd plane hit, new york city had 16 small earth quakes, all originating from the WTC. Mind you, there are no gas lines in that building, and the Boiler was a hot water boiler, so there should not have been any explosions at all. but there were.
can someone explain to me why windows on the 14th floor were being blown out, by fire? dont even think to tell me that it was jet fuel, cuz that was 100 stories upstairs!!
Mind you, this earthquake propaganda is true. look it up.

To me, The WTC was meant to go down. i will not say terrorists or our government had nothing to do with it, both were responsible.
Fun fact: 2 weeks before Sept 11th, the WTC was closed down for a week for "maintenance purposes". no employees were allowed in the building for a week.
why do you need bomb sniffing dogs and the CIA to do repairs in the WTC?
not making it up, it was in the paper, with photos.
defender390
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:49:50 PM

Eroschilles wrote:
Saddam did not have weapons of mass destruction. Chemical rounds were found, but they were not WMDs. You can find the same quantity and quality of chemical rounds buried at some military bases. The issues with UN inspectors and Iraq are numerous. They were basically always in and out, and UN inspecters were there only a few weeks before the U.S. invaded, saying there were no WMDs. We still went in. Saddam was a tyrannical dictator, but he was the soveriegn ledaer of Iraq. Our ally in Pakistan is also a dictator. Burma and North Korea too. Pakistan and North Korea actually have WMDs, flaunt it in our face, but we invade Iraq. Why is that? What are the procedures for picking and choosing which dictator is our ally and which is the enemy? There is no question Saddam was a very bad man, but he isn't the only one to kill Kurds. November 2008 the Turkish government was mad at the U.S. for our strategic bombings of Kurdish villages in Turky. The Kurds have been fighting viscously for their own nation-state for the last 60 years. They have attacked our troops in northern Iraq numerous times in the past where we had to bomb their villages in other countries. Yes, people die in war, but the Iraq war was unnecessary.

We all know Saddam used WMDs against the Kurds an the Iranians throughout the 80s. If you do not, look here. After the Gulf War, the U.S. an U.K. located and destroyed a lot of the WMDs and the equipment capable of making them with the help of UN weapons inpectors from 1991-1998. Iraq stopped cooperating, so the U.S. and the U.K. executed Operation: Desert Fox in 1998. The intention was to weaken Saddam's grip on the country through targeted airstrikes. The chief UN weapons inpector, Richard Butler, said, "following Iraq's expulsion from Kuwait, it became clear that the Saddam Hussein government had created a range and quality of weapons of mass destruction that was truly alarming." There were still many tons of WMDs unaccounted for. This is not including the chemical components you mentioned. Iraq had no reason to get rid of them. They probably did not have as many as the intelligence suggested, but they had them nonetheless. We actually have found some too, just not the ones we were looking for. Read this. And we also know Saddam had the will to use them. We attacked Iraq first for three main reasons. Saddam was the easiest target, Iraq is a good foothold in the Middle East, and they were the most dangerous. North Korea is using Nuclear weapons as bartering chips, they have no real intention of using them. Pakistan has ended the majority of its terrorist ties and have been cooperative in recent years. Iraq had the strongest terrorist ties. It was actually the Turkish government that was bombing Kurds. Check your sources. We only bombed the ones in Northern Iraq that were attacking our forces. Saddam specifically targetted noncombatant Kurdish civilians. The war in Iraq was inevitable.

Quote:
Fox isn't any more trustworthy than any other form of media these days. Propaganda is the state sponsored media outlet. Unless you are suggesting that the federal government feeds the stories to CNN or other networks besides Fox, then its not propaganda. It biased news, and Fox is just as guilty. Ask them, they will tell you how biased they are.

I watch and read from a plethera of news sources including FNC, MSNBC, CNN, the Daily Kos, Drudge Report, and the American Thinker. Of them all, FNC is the least biased. They have genuine conservative and liberal anchors and guests. There will always be a slight bias, but they are the most honest. MSNBC is propoganda because they had have and will have a vested interest in the success of the Obama Presidency. They also serve as a nice little safe haven where the liberals can have interviews without being challenged. CNN, the Daily Kos, Drudge Report, and the American thinker are all just biased. That is not a bad thing until they claim to be balanced or they outright lie. The only reason people think FNC has an extreme right wing bias is because all the other news channels have an extreme left wing bias. All things considered, FNC is moderate to center-right.

Quote:
Waterboard, still torture. Drowning hurts. Tear gas hurts. Not only does waterboarding casue physical pain, it causes pyschological pain. And utilizing tear gas to obtain information through painful interragation or coercion would, in fact, be torture. Waterboarding isn't even effective in that regard. Very little information was evidently obtained from the technique. U.S. troops are subjugated to both so they could resist other nations torture techniques. Right there, it is recognized as torture.

Simulated drowning does not cause any lasting physical or mental side-effects. It does not hurt, it creates fear. It is not torture. Just extremely uncomfortable. No information has ever been released on the effectiveness of waterboarding and we likely will not find out for a while. The memos that Obama left regarding waterboarding conveniently left out how much information was gathered through the method. Why? It does not serve his agenda. If we did not gain anything with waterboarding, the liberals would have ran with it. The fact that they did not shows me it was effective. U.S. troops are subjugated to tear gas in order to make sure they use their gas masks, not any other reason. If waterboarding was, we would not use on our soldiers. Any physical or psychological effects would impair their ability to do their job. It is used to train soldiers because it is the closest thing to torture without actually being torture.

Quote:
Actually, if you look at economic statistical data from the 1930s, ypou can see evidence of FDRs reforms making a difference soccially and economically before WWII broke out in Europe even. The industrial-military complex of WWII was one giant social project anyways, providing millions of jobs paid for by the government. You can hate FDR all you want, but his policies are the reason why our parents and grandparents did not starve to death in the 1930s. And the Greatest Generation would be outraged to hear the things you say about him.

Yeah, the economy rebounded in 1933, and then it tanked again in 1937. The Depression was not stagnant, it went up and down all of the time making no real progress until World War II. Although I can see your point that the miliary contracts were a social program, I do not think it really was. While it was the government that paid for the contracts, it was the private sector that created the jobs. There would not have been a need for those contracts if not for the war. There was a demand and the private sector created the supply. Capitalism saved us, not socialism. I do not hate FDR, I just do not like the majority policies. Using other recessions as an example, it is likely that laissez-faire policies would have brought us out sooner. I agree with the economist Thomas DiLorenzio, "FDR’s New Deal made the Great Depression longer and deeper. It is a myth that Franklin D. Roosevelt 'got us out of the Depression' and 'saved capitalism from itself,' as generations of Americans have been taught by the state’s education establishment." My grandparents and great grandparents actually were not fond of Roosevelt. I doubt anyone would be outraged by simple criticism.
Eroschilles
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:47:44 PM

The rounds found were not WMDs, they were not large enough to be classified as such. They were probably rounds that should not have been in possession of Iraq, but not all chemical rounds are WMDs. That's using the term too loosely.

My source is the BBC. I'll google the particular articles later if I care that hard. Or you could do it if you are so inclined. The reason the U.S. bombed the Kurds in Turkey was because they were crossing the border into Northern Iraq and attacking U.S. troops. The reason Turkey got upset was because the U.S. violated Turkish soveriegnty.

Dismissing the Koreans usage of WMDs is a mistake. Not that their weapons are capable of striking the U.S., they still pose a very valid threat to our allies in East Asia. Pakistan has ended many terroist ties with its government, but the government itself is still a military dictatorship.

MSNBC is left-leaning yes, but it still isn't propaganda. That's mislabeling of terms and misleading. They were left-leaning during Pres. Bush's term. You don't become a propaganda machine automatically when the party you support wins the presidency, you just support alot of their policies.

I'm telling you, waterboarding causes physical pain and discomfort during the procedure. It is used as means to coerce information. By definition, that is torture. Trying to reason it away means you codone torture. Torture does not have lasting physical or psychological effects. The information gathered from waterboarding was very limited, or individuals from Bush's administration would have come up with copies of the memos themselves.

You may agree with DiLorenzio, but most economists agree that laissez-faire policies is bad for a recession and devastating for a depression. Recently, everyone agreed (including Pres. Bush) that something needed to be done to improve the economy that was plummetting last fall, but they disagreed as to what that something was. Laissez-faire is not a good idea.
greentime
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:44:22 PM

defender390 wrote:
Quote:

Simulated drowning does not cause any lasting physical or mental side-effects. It does not hurt, it creates fear. It is not torture. Just extremely uncomfortable. No information has ever been released on the effectiveness of waterboarding and we likely will not find out for a while. The memos that Obama left regarding waterboarding conveniently left out how much information was gathered through the method. Why? It does not serve his agenda. If we did not gain anything with waterboarding, the liberals would have ran with it. The fact that they did not shows me it was effective. U.S. troops are subjugated to tear gas in order to make sure they use their gas masks, not any other reason. If waterboarding was, we would not use on our soldiers. Any physical or psychological effects would impair their ability to do their job. It is used to train soldiers because it is the closest thing to torture without actually being torture.

This is patently ridiculous. Have you listened to anyone talk about what it is like to be waterboarded? Christopher Hitchens, who is legendarily hawkish, volunteered to be waterboarded and lasted literally less than 3 seconds. He said it was the most terrifying and horrible experience in his life. "Just extremely uncomfortable"? If you really think that, you are sick. Why not burn someone very mildly over their entire body. It'll heal. No permanent damage. Why not strangle someone until they are almost dead, then cut them down. No permanent damage. Are neither of those torture as well? Why not break someone's leg and set it, over and over. Maybe several hundred times. Is it torture yet?

Drowning someone, even if it is "simulated" drowning, hundreds of times is torture.

Information? If the information we've been getting from waterboarding is so good, why have we made so little progress rolling up al Qaida? The reason why is that when you torture someone, they will say anything and everything to get you to stop torturing them. The information is notoriously worthless.

saber1 wrote:
Bunch of nonsense that didn't answer my rhetorical question

What does Iraq have to do with bin Laden?

That's right, nothing.

What have been the best things to happen to al Qaida since its formation? Their attacks on September 11th and our invasion of Iraq. Those attacks occured during Bush's administration. An administration that dismissed Richard Clark, the world's leading terrorism expert, from his security position in the government, because he was too pushy and didn't stop annoying people about how dangerous bin Laden and al Qaida were and how much attention the US needed to be paying them. Invading Iraq created so many new jihadists that they were able to build an entire new branch (al Qaida of Iraq). It also put thousands of Americans straight into these jihadi's crosshairs, where they still are.

Again, how was Iraq a threat to us. And before you pull out the tired "OMG HE HAD WMDZORZ!" argument, you might want to take a closer look at that article you cite: "Since 2003, coalition forces have recovered approximately 500 weapons munitions which contain degraded mustard or sarin nerve agent.

Degraded. As in, it doesn't work. They found artillery shells full of ruined nerve gas. They also found artillery shells that could have had nerve gas in them, but didn't, which wouldn't have mattered anyway because the nerve gas wasn't even viable in the first place.

greentime
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:57:58 PM

defender390 wrote:
Yeah, the economy rebounded in 1933, and then it tanked again in 1937. The Depression was not stagnant, it went up and down all of the time making no real progress until World War II. Although I can see your point that the miliary contracts were a social program, I do not think it really was. While it was the government that paid for the contracts, it was the private sector that created the jobs. There would not have been a need for those contracts if not for the war. There was a demand and the private sector created the supply. Capitalism saved us, not socialism. I do not hate FDR, I just do not like the majority policies. Using other recessions as an example, it is likely that laissez-faire policies would have brought us out sooner. I agree with the economist Thomas DiLorenzio, "FDR’s New Deal made the Great Depression longer and deeper. It is a myth that Franklin D. Roosevelt 'got us out of the Depression' and 'saved capitalism from itself,' as generations of Americans have been taught by the state’s education establishment." My grandparents and great grandparents actually were not fond of Roosevelt. I doubt anyone would be outraged by simple criticism.

If recessions are more successfully combated by laissez-faire policies, please tell me why recessions were

1. longer
2. more frequent
3. much more brutal

before the Great Depression versus after it. The 1937 "mini-Depression" corresponded perfectly to a sharp reduction in government spending, which FDR instituted in response to fears that inflation and the debt load would be more dangerous than the continued recession.

It's also worth pointing out that, before the Federal Reserve, which is the largest blow to laissez-faire in American history, the US economy suffered through crippling bouts of deflation. Deflation is poison to economic growth -- just ask the Japanese. The steady but (predominantly) reasonable level of inflation we have had since then has been enormously beneficial to our country. Austrian school economics has no explanation for or answer to this. Austrian school economics also has never been used to successfully guide any country in the history of mankind. Keynesian economics, on the other hand, is the guiding principle behind, oh, every single first world nation on Earth. That's not a coincidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Historical_Inflation_Ancient.svg
saber1
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:12:07 PM

greentime wrote:
"Since 2003, coalition forces have recovered approximately 500 weapons munitions which contain degraded mustard or sarin nerve agent.

Degraded. As in, it doesn't work. They found artillery shells full of ruined nerve gas. They also found artillery shells that could have had nerve gas in them, but didn't, which wouldn't have mattered anyway because the nerve gas wasn't even viable in the first place.

So, is it fair to say that you are comfortable with a Saddam regime in control of chemical weapons (WMD or not) as long as its not too many? How many is too many? Is it also fair to say that you would prefer we find out his nerve gas was "degraded" only after he lit off a missle or two?

The problem with looking for a "smoking gun", as the horribly biased "news" agencies called it, is that it only smokes when its been fired. I don't know about you, but if I have credible evidence that a hostile entity has a loaded weapon with a history of pulling the trigger I'm not going to wait around for it to be fired at me.